Anime It all comes down to this...

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Lime, Feb 22, 2002.

?

Which Is Better?

1. Sub

41 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Dub

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. Lime

Lime Claude ish MY honey ^.^

Yes the dreaded poll of them all...the one and only "Which is better?"

Subs or Dubs...Dun dun duuuuuun!

Now! I dont mean like "Well dub tenchi is better then sub tenchi.." I mean like, what do you prefer to watch more...

And since I *HAD* to vote for my own poll *.*!!! I chose...Subs..I love hearing how it was really made. Even if there is some good moments in the dubs, I had to choose sub. ^^ Note to mention Card Captor Sakura in Dub....Oh god.... ._. But anyway! Subs all the way ^^

2. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

MY OBVIOUS CHOICE IS:

SUBBED :D

1 person likes this.
  3. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

Subbed, but some dubs are good. The Trigun dub was excellent!

~ Lady Aoi

4. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Subs, obviously, I loathe dubs, they grate against me, I've only actually heard one dub that I've liked, Ranma½, I've listened to a lot of them, and found them majorly lacking. I have to disagree on the Trigun dub, nothing compares to the original japanese track, but that's my opinion.

-UK
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the biased, heavily

5. Lady Aoi

The Japanese Trigun cast is also incredible. I just meant that as far as dubs go, the Trigun dub was pretty well done. Very few timing glitches, well-cast voices... frankly, it blew me away.

~ Lady Aoi: I wonder if we should have this in the Trigun Forum, UK? ^_^

6. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

I wonder... well, it is a discussion of Sub vs Dub... so it probably could belong in both places.

It was better than a lot of Dubs, but the scale for that is so low bar... I wish the VA crews would put more 'acting' in their voice acting. Not just Saturday morning type voices. The job just isn't taken seriously at all in the US... and it's a shame. Just take a listen to the LH dub...

you may want to 'power up' first, it's bad.
    -UK

7. Lime

I like some dubs including Outlaw Star, Trigun, and Slayers. But I love subs a lot more...

When you watch CCS in Sub it's like seeing a whole new series, cause in the dub they cute SO much stuff out.. u.u

8. Lady Aoi

From what I've seen of it, the Slayers Dub is pretty good. The dub for the Slayers Movie on the other hand.... o_O;;;;;; Seriously, Lina's VA frightened me.

And yes, too many American VAs sound like Saturday Morning Cartoon rejects on anime dubs. A lot of EXCITEMENT!!! and SURPRISE!!! and OVER EMOTING!!! Sadly it's not an art form here, or at least studios don't consider it to be. Maybe if we'd gotten anime when radio shows were still around things would have been different.

~ Lady Aoi: Video killed the VAs?

9. Sachiko

Yes, I gotta admit that the Trigun series dub was excellent. In fact, I watched to whole thing in English and didn't even pay attention to the subbed!

I think the Tenchi series are dubbed ok. I liked their voices ^_^ The GundamWing series is also satifying

10. Ak1t0

Ak1t0 New Member

The Slayers dub is great until you get to Slayers Next and they masacre Xellos. The first time I heard the Xellos dub speak I wanted vomit. Then I wanted to hunt down the voice acter and harm him greatly. Just had to throw that in. ^_^

1 person likes this.
  11. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

hahaha who will be the first to stick his neck out and vote for dubs? It sure won't be me. Ranma 1/2 was about the only livable one (Kuno rules)

dubs suck. Any time someone says try THIS dub, it's better than the rest and I fall for it, I am shocked at how horrid it is. They never live up

12. Ardis

Ardis New Member

The only dubs I will openly stand up for, would be Gundam Wing, Trigun, Vandread and Escaflowne (My GF said the difference between the Dub and sub in Escaflowne was small) One dub that was very poor, to me at least, was Bandai's Dubbing of Saber Marionette J, some voices fit, other didn't and most of all they censored it! Pioneer seems to understand the meaning of not censoring animes. However, the censorship in outlaw star was next to nothing, as far as I could tell.

Ultimately there is nothing wrong with dubs, as long as they go about it right. However, this is what makes DVD great items, if the dubbing sucks just switch to Japanese audio and subtitles in a flash.

1 person likes this.
  13. Lime

I like Trigun dubbed better then subbed for some reason...

14. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

ardis
    ****The only dubs I will openly stand up for, would be Gundam Wing, Trigun, Vandread and Escaflowne (My GF said the difference between the Dub and sub in Escaflowne was small) ***

Escaflowne.. Have you even seen the uncut sub version of escaflowne... the dub version was so bad it got taken off the air cause fox got so much hate mail over it,,, The Dubbing was the Worst Ive ever seen.. It was total ****. the voice did not fit any of the characters WHAT SO EVER!.. It was JUST BAD BAD BAD!..

you better go back and watch the sub again....

GAH! How could anyone say escaflowne dub was any good!

KaMe

15. Lime

GAH! How could anyone say escaflowne dub was any good!

KaMe [/B][/QUOTE]

I hated the Escaflowne dubs...I saw the whole series dubbed, because that was all my friend had...and then I just went out and bought the boxset that was subbed...><

16. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Thank god you have My Back on this one Lime,,, I pity anyone who has to see Escaflowne Dubed...

KaMe

17. Sachiko

Yes, Lime. I also agree. For some reason, Trigun is the only anime that I like better dubbed. Weird.. unless it's because I started watching it in dubbed first and never cared about switching to subbed :confused:

18. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I like both... I'm switching to DVD anime's where I can have subbs and dubs at the same time. If I don't like one, I might as well switch to the other :)
    Can't decide :(

19. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It usually boils down to whichever I see first... unless the dubs are very noticably horrible... but since I choose sub over dub when I'm presented the choice, I usually don't run into it...

I guess it's first come, first serve, and that's how I get accustomed to the way voices are...

Final note: It's a lot easier to produce a sub than a dub, and so many prefer it in the Anime world, yet it never hits the television that way... most people are too lazy to read?

BakaMattSu, voted quite some time ago, but never said his piece...

20. Lime

I always seem to go and see the subs first, before anything....but I guess whatever I can get my hands on!