Anime It all comes down to this...

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Lime, Feb 22, 2002.

?

Which Is Better?

1. Sub

41 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Dub

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. Kaori

Kaori New Member

wasnt bloodlust produced and done in the US though?

I prefer my anime sub..then raw...then if i'm desperate, dub

2. Chibi Meg

Chibi Meg New Member

methinks subs are way better. I really detest the dubbed version of Sailor Moon - its just not right really lol
    With a sub you can hear the expression in the characters' voices the way they were meant to be played not in those horrible monotone voices you sometimes get with dubbs.

;) Chibi!!!!

3. alkhoon

alkhoon .: G.Heyer is my life :.

subs subs subs SUBS subs

hehehe.... :D

4. Izer

Izer New Member

I've no real preference to be honest. As BakaMattSu said, first come - first serve i guess.

There is one thing that grates me, when parts (or even all!) of the original voice acting cast are replaced with different actors as an anime series progresses to a new format (eg. TV to OVA). More often then not this occurs with dubs when different parts of an anime are sold to different companies.

5. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Sub of course. I mean there are some good dubbed animes out there but they are pretty rare. One horrid dub I must say is SMJtoX. They ****ing killed the characters, god I wish I had a hummer, rocket launcher and a m-16 so I can hunt those voice actors down for ruining Lime and the others, Too bad djinns not around. This is why I thank god for DVD Hallelujah!

You should also try the spanish dubs. The Spanish dubs for SMJ, I thought were superb, and My favorite: Korean Dub!!!! :cool: :cool: I watched the entire SMJ series in Korean Dub Sick!:D

6. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

I have no preference. It really just depends on the series. Like, in The Candidate for Goddess, the dub cast wasn't all that bad. (^^) What I dislike the most about the dub was the horrible translations, AND the fact that the dub script was what was used as subtitles in the DVDs. I just turn off the subs and listen, b/c they don't dub Azuma calling Rill an idiot...(Well, it SOUNDS like a mumbled "baka"…but I could be wrong…)

That's why I prefer DVDs! ^_^ I get both! The Princess Nine dub was excellent. The voices were great, too. And the Rayearth dubs! WOO! I prefer Rayearth dubbed, actually. ^_^

7. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

Better than most but I wouldn't say excellent. I got my reasons check the Trigun forum for more info.

I'd say subs. Dubs tend to water-down and change the original dialogue and in the case of the first Akira dub, they make it near impossible to follow the story by completely changing the dialogue. and the Macha-ki talent isn't as good.

8. Knives

Knives New Member

Subs! Maybe Blue Submarine No. 6 would actually be watchable if I saw the subbed version!

9. aya

aya Guest

ahh... i couldn't stand to vote (but i did anyways!) because I like both... I watch the anime in both subbed and dubbed... if i feel stupid on a particular day i would probably watch a dub...

10. n15pca

n15pca New Member

I'm really suprise that the majority of people say sub. I would like to understand what the people are saying,than have the old agrument "keep it the way the artistes wanted it."

11. Shadowhawk

Shadowhawk New Member

Subs R best 'cos you don't sit there listening to them blab their cheesy english names and so on and think "I wonder what they were saying in Japanese...?"

12. Shadowhawk

Shadowhawk New Member

But, the Magic Users club (I can't spell its Japanese name, sorry, :shy3: ) Wasn't edited and the English voices were great and they kept ALL the laugh-out-loud jokes!

13. Lt.Noin_195

Lt.Noin_195 New Member

Shadowhawk is right Subs are better.:rolleyes:

14. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

When I first thought about it, what came to mind was:

SUB SUB SUB SUB SUB SUB SUB SUB!

But then, on rethinking, I think I prefer to watch the anime twice, like some peepz said, unless the dubbing is absolutely unbrearable. Like, Lina's VA (dub) had a really, really grating voice, better suited to say...Amelia. Her Seiyuu had a good voice. The dub was still watchable tho. Still, if I'm watching a dub, I always wonder "What are they saying in japanese?"

15. Fox

Fox Guest

Greetings folks! Yes I am new here but this is an argument that rages any time you talk of anime. I personally like the subs but I enjoy seeing them either way. I like the dubs when I am trying to convert folks to watching anime because they will find the first time enjoyable, for the most part, when watching it in a language that they understand and will not be missing the action because they are too busy trying to read. Dubs are a real help when the person is not a fast reader.
    In reply to Meaikoh_Takashi, I like Lina's voice in the dubs myself. It was, I feel, just right for Lina (Lisa Ortiz- did I spell it right?) and it was not really so changed from her Seiyuu. It fact Slayers has been the one of the best dubs I have seen so far. Now what I think is so funny is playing the English with English subtitles for Slayers DVD. Now that is a riot!:D

16. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Personally, I will watch a sub more often but I really don't mind watching dub at all, even if the voice actors are awful.

Sometimes that even makes it hilarious.

In some cases I watch things in both languages.

It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I want it to be as pure to the original as it can get, other times Im just too tired to read all the time, or enjoy a voice actor or actress or something.

17. Vash

Vash New Member

Re: gurgle

You really thought the American dub showed more emotion, Berry? Try watching the beginning of 'Live Through' in both sub and dub again. I don't think Johnny Yong Bosh is quite up to Onosaka Masaya's standards.

And there's always the faithfulness of the translation problem, as you say. In Trigun they keep explaining stuff for us, getting it wrong and making things needlessly confusing.

My least favourite bit of dubbing so far has to be the later VA for Usagi in Sailor Moon. Teenage girls shouldn't sound like middle-aged pack-a-day women.

18. The Jackal

The Jackal New Member

I prefer Subs, but like Shadowhawk said Mahou Tsuki Tai was brilliant (possibly better) dubbed

19. willlau99

willlau99 Guest

a mon avis, what it really comes down to is whether the dub is good or not, if the dub is as good as the original i'd prefer to watch dub rather because it saves having to read and watch at the same time.

20. + annovachan +

+ annovachan + New Member

sub.
    only 9 people voted for dub? dubs ok. depends on the series. i must admit, the trigun was done well.
    and despite some flaws ccs was done alright.
    so was outlaw star.
    but not pokemon. a pun every minute. that should be its catch phrase.
    no, no it shouldnt.
    man, that was a retarded joke.