Recreation Languages.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrunkLeprachaun, Jul 17, 2002.

?

Are you a native english speaker?

1. Yes, I spake prefect englush.

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No, I am terrribly afraid my vocabulary is perhaps not as extensive as some.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I was wondering two things.
    1) What language were you raised on. And,
    2) What languages do you speak.
    Just out of curiosity. M2A is a diverse bunch, I want to see if it's linguisticly diverse also.

2. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

I cant vote man.. Because I dont know what Englush is..

I speak ENGLISH and French.. and ive been picking up fringlish.. (F-ed Up french!) its the local french around here..

KaMe

3. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

I was raised on Profanity, and I now speak thorough English and Profanity, and manage to successfully tie the two together into wonderful conversation pieces. Go me!! :D

4. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Me as is Me or Me as in Arkanjil??????

5. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

Me as in me, not you. :p Me. ::nods sagely::

6. RichyX

RichyX New Member

My English ain't too bad about from the constant swearing, I'm tryin to do something about that at the moment.
    I've done foundation level Iriash all the way through secondary school and I quit French mid way through 6th year....so you could say my language skills are slightly limited :)

As with every anime fan I have the usual Japanese phrases which just make us look like idiots in reality, except shouting phrases from that Fosters ad, that is cool :D

7. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Raised from Tagalog (filipino) that's mixed with a LOT of english, to learning english before coming to the U.S.

I know rumedial japanese and tagalog and i speak english better than pig-latin.

Now why the heck does that sound like a resume?

8. rei

rei New Member

i was raised in a straight english speaking family. but for three years of my younger life i lived in germany so i picked a bit of it up and my father would teach us other basic european words and phrases to help us out in our odd surroundings. it was nice. i want to learn german so bad.. ive forgotten most of it. and can speak very little now. yup. so my only concrete language is english.

*heart* rei

9. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I was raised with english until I was five years old, and from there I went through 8 years of schooling french from pre-k to grade 6 and afterwards did my highschool in english with normal french courses and spanish courses.

I plan to learn japanese. If I continue not to be able to find a teacher, looks like I'll pick up those 50$ tapes I saw.

I also plan to learn Gaelic, as I already said. It's a really beautiful language.

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Native english speaker. In Canadian schooling, it's mandatory to have french class to, though, isn't it? Those are our country's two official languages, no?

So, I've got some french still with me. Not fluent, but I can hold basic conversation. Same deal with Spanish.

Japanese, well I can do a few "gaijin" identifying phrases...:p

Hmm....1 5p33k l337! And igpay atinlay! But those aren't "real" languages, eh?

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

native english speaker as it's the main lang here...not counting southern cal...JK(kinda) took a couple years of german...not much stuck...heh....i can get words from a conversation,...but don't expect me to speak it....i'm simply much better at translating stuff...lesse....i used to know a little(ie tiny) amount of norwiegen...i have a few gaelic phrases....(lep, you bad boy you*^-^*) and a good idea about some japanese....i can read a bit of it....i can write a bit, and can speak(a little) japanese...and then there's the made up lang of the albhed...lol tho, because of red dwarf, i kinda wanna learn the international language...which i can't think of the name of...lol

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Esperanto! Now that you remind me of it, I wanna learn too... :p

13. Vash

Vash New Member

Esperanto. How's the frog in your bidet?

Native English speaker. Native English I suppose, since I was born there. I did year 8 French so I still know how to count and the days of the week and not a whole lot more. Most of my family did German at high school so I know some of that. I know a little of the local Aboriginal language, Kaurna, but not much because I met an elder who really didn't want non-Nungas learning it and I could see her point. Trying to learn Japanese from manga, anime and books. I also know a handful of Turkish words from doing a three week summer school there. And the usual assortment of odds and ends that most people know without realising.

14. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

ahh yes yes esparonto! weeeeeeeee...the language where the pocket dictonaries cost about $50~ (i looked them up once....that hurts...50 i think was the cheapest, and it was a little pocket one...the ones that normally cost maybe 12 at the most...eep)

15. YokoburiKinura

English is my native language, and I also speak Russian and Japanese. Very limited Japanese, it is true, as I've only taken the first year of courses so far. I've also taken some German but wouldn't consider myself a German speaker to any degree.

Ich nicht spreche Deutsch.

16. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

Spanish is my first language, but I've always been exposed to English. I can clearly remember speaking it well in pre-k, at age 3 or 4. With P.R. being a U.S. territory, we have a lot of influence from the States. I only know two people who don't speak English, but they know the basic words. Everyone knows what a 'mall' is, as well as 'shopping center', 'printer', 'party', and a whole bunch more. (It almost sounds like a different word when you hear it in Spanish. I don't say 'mall' the way you say it in English when I'm speaking Spanish. I heavily accent it, just like everybody else, because…well, I dunno why. I just do. ^^ Force of habit!)

It's funny, though. I mean, really really funny! ^_^; You'd have to hear/see it in order to understand… I love P.R. :catgirl: ^^

17. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

My first language is arabic, so I voted for option 2.

18. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

0/-/! 1 $P34/< L337 700!

19. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Well .. my english is not THAT bad .. I mean when I talk (not type) I am good .. plane good ..
    But still .. I will take the 2nd option .. :sweat2: ..

20. c0ke

c0ke New Member

I was raised on Korean and I speak both Korean and English.
    I know Japanese, but while learning some advance portion of it I said "Ahh **** this language" same with chinese only I don't know much of it. I tend to not like learning new languages.