Board and Card Games Magic: The Gathering

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Valant Rapitor, Jun 25, 2004.

?

Do you play Magic?

1. Yes, I play it.

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. I know of it, but I don't play it.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. I would like to play it, but I don't want to spend the cash.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I play it on the internet.

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. No, I do not.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Valant Rapitor

Valant Rapitor A Hungry Weeble

Well, just to ask. How many of you play the game? How many of you know of the game? How many of you want to play, but doesn't want to spend the money? Etc.

2. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I used to play it, but I sold all my cards (inherited from my older brother) and only have a few left that I kept out of sentimentality.

It's a fun game, and I usually kept a blue deck, and then a mixed deck.

3. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I know of the game and i won't mind being able to play, i just don't have the time at the moment, and i won't mind spending some money on it either.

4. XXIXreformed

XXIXreformed New Member

Yeah, I actually have a couple of decks, two of which are blue associated:

Archbound-Draw Deck
    Blue-White-Equip-Artifact Deck
    Goblin-Elf Deck

You'd be suprised at the combo's you can put up in some decks. Mine are associated with this theory.

5. Valant Rapitor

Heh. Well, see, I was thinking of starting a 'league' of sorts, with a money factor to draw back the everyone using the uber cards to make great decks, and to do so online. To do this, however, I need to gauge the interest on Magic in several areas, so I'll have a playerbase of some sort before I start, yannow.

So, to simplify the idea, who wants to play Magic online that simulates a real-life setting.. except that you don't have to actually pay money as in Magic Online (the program/MMOG)?

6. XXIXreformed

XXIXreformed New Member

...Okay. I think I get it. Like a magic game, without having to pay for it, correct?

7. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

Sounds interesting. ^^; I've played the game with my friends' decks, but I don't have money to spend on decks of my own (nor do I have that much of an interest in the game anyway... except for the pretty colors and drawings... XD). I like white decks the best. And red. Because I'm damage-oriented. ^^;;

8. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

I've seen quite a few of my friends playing the game, and I must admit that it looks entertaining. The thing is that I was suckered into both the Pokemon and Yugioh TCG trends (which wasted tons of my cash), and I don't want to make the same mistake again.

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Went semi-active into Magic when Ice Age was out. I remember it was a few months before my birthday, and when my day came pretty much every present I got was cards. -.-;

It's strange, really. Magic has always been the dominant TCG, and hasn't left the scene since it started way back in the mid-nineties. Since then, I went very heavy into the Star Wars CCG until Decipher lost the license, and even went a little crazy with Pokemon. And while I've enjoyed Magic all along, I've never really taken it serious enough to buy any in real bulk. It's one of those games where I could still hold my own using the cheap commons from any old basic booster.

I play now and then, but certainly not at any real competitive level. More like rummaging through what I have and building a fun deck or two.

When I started, I was real heavy into black. It was those insta-kill spells like Terror and Dark Banishing that I loved about it. That, and regenerating undead and powerful vampires and all that good evil stuff.

Naturally, Green became my next following, seeing the pure massive creatures that I could get for a quarter (oh man, the almighty scaled wurm. :p)

Since then, I expanded into pretty much anything, taking in a lot of white and blue. White mainly appealed to me with those lovely disenchants. Blue, oh how I love to control and counter things.

About midway, I became obsessed with goblins of all types. I bought up 4 of every goblin they released. And then I built that scary goblin bomber deck, chock full of cheap dish out spells. Namely -> Raging Goblin, Bloodlust, Goblin Grenade.

Got a lot of cards, but haven't really purchased anything since Visions - meaning I'm very out of the loop for the current cards as well as Type II style games.

Would be fun to do a league type of thing using Apprentice or Cardtable or the like. :)

10. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

its been a while since ive played...but im starting to play again. i play a Red/Green speed deck...ive won a few minor tournaments with it...nothing really big tho...i really doubt I could get anywhere...

11. Valant Rapitor

Heh, the money problem would veritably be destroyed if this goes through. Just think of it as a sort of RPG in terms of Magic, where you do have progress. More or less, it is Magic Online without cash. It isn't a violation of copyright, by the way, because I'm not really making cash out of it. :p

Anyway, if there are enough people in interest, I can actually try and do that. It's a thing that I've been thinking about here and there since two years ago, (yes, I left Magic some time before that, but hey, that's because I don't make much money back then.) and I reckon it could be very interesting if not fun.

12. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

I'm definitely interested, your idea sounds like it could be a lot of fun! :) Let me know if it goes through.

13. Jam Chii

Jam Chii New Member

Lol, magic. I wanted to leave this game in the past, but since I saw the topic, I had to come to read. This sounds interesting, pretty cool. I used to play this game like crazy, in fact, I spent over 500 dollars for cards.

I usually played my elf deck, totally pWned everyone.

14. XXIXreformed

XXIXreformed New Member

As long as I can use my Arcbound-Draw deck (which is just mean on so many levels), I'm fine.

15. Valant Rapitor

The thing is, you'll have to buy such decks for yourself. I'm thinking of progressing it by a time era basis. Say I wanted to begin the game when 7th edition has just come out, and give the prices and such that way. I don't want to begin it at the very beginning, however, where everyone would have the P9 6 times over. This is one of the choices that I'm having a hard time making, heheh.

16. Kamui

Kamui X//1999... best anime eva

I love MTG. I play it a lot with anyone else who does.

17. Takamatsu_

Takamatsu_ New Member

i have a black/artifact adaptation deck, a green/anycolor enhancement deck (lotsa monstrous growths, giant growths, etc.+ crafty pathmage)by anycolor i mean 4 fertile grounds+ extraplanar lens. my best one is my counterspell/burn/flashback deck. also, until valiant's thing comes out, i have a thread where you can play on here. not too regulated though. itll get better with time i guess.

18. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Mostly, I play with a green Spike/Fungus deck. Thallids pump out saprolings, Lure to cast on weak creatures and mass attack, Spikes to pump up those the enemy doesn't block. It's fun to see an opponent get smacked by a 10/10 that was a 1/1. :anime: Although, I have several decks, a killer black deck (with surprisingly few zombies/kill spells/drain life spells), a red deck I don't use anymore, a massive white flyer/enchantment deck, an old style sliver deck(only new one is the Overlord). I used to have a blue deck, but it never worked, it had no real power, just a bunch of little 1/1s and such. As for the Online idea, I have'nt touched it, and probably won't because my computer is a crappy Pentium 133. Add a seven and I'm a lamer :). But anyway, I'm not too bad at the game, while I have lost many games, I've also won many games(mostly against one person:blush2: ). He plays with an all artifact arcbound/myr monster (~190 cards) that can be slaughtered by a good old-fashioned Shatterstorm. Ah me, good times.

But, I'll cut to the chase by saying that I am interested in playing an online game, that it should be using cards only up to Exodus, and that I would currently be unable to play it. :sad:

19. Valant Rapitor

You consider winning against a 190-card trying-to-be-type-2 deck a feat to speak of? ;) No offense, but using arcbound and myr in non-type 2 strikes me as amusing.

20. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I simply see it as "upholding the status quo." I intend to prove that the more recent cards are, in fact, inferior to older cards. Yes, I realize that the newer cards will, in time, become older cards, and that there are, in fact, a limited number of older cards, and thus, a limited (though still vast) number of uses for them. But, every victory against cards of the new design is, to me, a victory for my cause, regardless of who that may be, or how crappy their deck is, or how inexperienced they are.