Board and Card Games Magic: The Gathering

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Valant Rapitor, Jun 25, 2004.

?

Do you play Magic?

1. Yes, I play it.

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. I know of it, but I don't play it.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. I would like to play it, but I don't want to spend the cash.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I play it on the internet.

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. No, I do not.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Nope, dont play it and i cant say i ever will or disire too. I have seen people play them and I find the game to be no different than Yugio or pokemon cards. They are the same concept. In my opinion their a waste of time and a waste of money.

2. Valant Rapitor

Valant Rapitor A Hungry Weeble

Well, yes. Most older cards are superior, and generally, the older they get, the better, though there are many other cards in the old days that suck. However, better things have appeared. See old Glory Seeker, a weenie 1W for 2/2. Now, in the Mirrodin block, we have Leonin Skyhunter, a weenie WW Flying for 2/2. Along with all the white weenies in Mirrodin block and equipment, those new cards have really enhanced the white weenies field. Yet, they can't go up against old bashers such as Masticore, Morphling, and so on.

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Maaaaaaaaaaan, I used to play....way back when. Shoot, I pretty much played with a modified starter sacrificing black deck. Nearly a fourth of my creatures either had gain +2/+2 when you sacrifice a creature until the end of the turn, or a +1/+1 for every creature sacrificed from your hand for permanent upgrades.

I kinda bolstered everything with some cost-effective red instants. Hey, I rarely won, but when I did, it was always funny when a 20/20 lich worm (or something like that...forgot the name, it's been so long) wrecks some havok.

I played a green deck for a while, with my cousin's cards. I rather enjoyed it, but I really loved playing with a white deck with 4 serra angels and some other random enchantments.

Other than that, I only played to beat my relatives who were totally into that stuff. I beat them, then just gave 'em away to the people I beat. =D

Fun with creatures: Leviathan would probably be the funniest creature available that I've seen. Costs a bundle to summon, yet you have to sacrifice 2 islands to just get it to DO anything...yeesh.

4. Valant Rapitor

Well, the thing is that you can reanimate him, though the upkeep is brutal, yeah. But here's another funny.

Eater of Days 4
    Creature - Leviathan
    Flying, trample
    When Eater of Days comes into play, you skip your next
    two turns.
    9/8

5. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

How about the good old fashioned Craw Giant? 3GGGG, 6/4, Trample, Rampage 2.

One of my friends plays a Saproling deck, which can get thousands of 1/1s. Put Lure on this, and attack!

Or the Gaea's Liege? 3GGG, X/X, Power and toughness equal to forests you control, when attacking, power and toughness equal to forests opponents control, and (Tap) Target land becomes a forest until Gaea's Liege leaves play.

Having trouble with Modulars? Get a Spike Cannibal. 1BB, 0/0, comes into play with a +1/+1 counter. When it comes into play, move all +1/+1 counters onto it.

6. Valant Rapitor

The Saproling deck when whips out <insert spell that enhances the stats of all creatures. Vitalizing Wind is one of them...> And, well, if you kill them, they can make more, and when they play that Coat of Arms, your Craw Giant couldn't hope to stop them. I prefer Gorilla Berserker, 3GG, (3/3?) Rampage: 3 in that aspect, anyway...

There's a reason that Modular isn't played in anything but Type 2. To be honest, really, Modular isn't that good of a deck anyway. But any guy smart enough with a Type 2 will counter that Cannibal over everything else. ;)

7. Reisti Skalchaste

Those I use them against? Not smart. Not smart at all.

But another good card for those pesky Indestructible artifacts: Runesword.
    6, Artifact, (3)(Tap)Target attaking creature get +2/+0 until end of turn. Any creature damaged by that creature cannot regenerate this turn; if such a creature recieves lethal damage this turn, remove it from the game. If the target creature leaves play before end of turn, bury Runesword.
    Or Splinter, 2GG, Remove target artifact and all copies of it from it's controllers hand, deck, and graveyard.

And how about the classic Killer Bees? Put it in a saproling deck, with a Citanul Hierophants, and the rest explains itself. It's good anywhere though.

Just so you know, Gorilla Berserkers are: 3GG, 2/3, Trample, Rampage 2, cannot be bloked by fewer than three creatures. Craw Giant still sounds better to me. But I've got both, so it's okay.

Also, countering a spell puts it into the graveyard. Where it is prime game for Disturbed Burial or Raise Dead.

Like Yu-Gi-Oh? This card makes Magic more like it. Food Chain 2G, Remove a creature you control from the game: Add X mana of any color to your mana pool, where X is equal to the removed creatures mana cost plus one. This mana may only be used to play creature spells.

I can go on all day about great cards I own, but I'm sure you don't want to hear it all. So I'll end with one more useful card.

Mana Flare 2R, Enchantment, Whenever a land is tapped for mana, it produces one extra mana of the appropriate type.

P.S. Coat of Arms is a $24 card! Not many people have them. I was hoping to get four for my elf deck, until I discovered the cost. My Elvish Champions should do the job well enough.

And one last thing, my Craw Giant is in my Spike deck. With a Heartstone, I can pump +1/+1 counters onto it for 1 mana apiece!

8. Valant Rapitor

Once again, not many would use Indestructible as a deck mechanic for Type 1, 1.5, or 1.X. :p One StP, all gone, so to say. Type 1 have Carbonize and about a hundred other spells also for removal, and Withered Wretch (which is more reasonable for current days) and Scrabbling Claws (Type 2) for yard killing.

Note that Mana Flare affects ALL lands, so it is a double edged sword. If you want a good red-faced card that goes to your advantage, see Gauntlet of Might, 4, Artifact, all mountains tap for 1 extra red, and all red creatures gain +1/+1. The current day land-boofer is green, with Fertile Ground, Vernal Bloom, and especially the 5th Dawn cards. Green also has many land finders - and have many creatures with large casting costs and powerful effects, coincidentially. ;]

You have yourself Saprolings? I play infest, engineered plague, or if I'm feeling desperate, Mutilate, they all go boom.

Food Chain's one of those lesser-known old cards that were parts of combos. And note that many old cards can be very expensive as well - Coat of Arms is only expensive because it is currently Type 2. Before that, it was probably 8 to 12 dollars. But then again, that's why I'm proposing simulation rather than real life for gaming. Retains the restriction factor so one cannot get the best, yet doesn't suck on your real money.

Killer Bees, of course, was a part of the time when Wizards didn't know which color went where yet. See that the 'shades' are black creations now. Though, the deadliest of them, in my opinion, are Carrion Ants. 2BB, 1/1, 1: +1/+1 until end of turn. The appearance of 1 instead of a color makes it devestating.

9. Reisti Skalchaste

True, but my friend who uses them has failed to realize this.

[EDIT]Yard Killing? What's that?[/EDIT]

That does sound useful, but, as bizarre as it sounds, my Mana Flare is in my Elf deck. No mountains, no red creatures. The only red cards are Mana Flare, and Rolling Thunder, a very nice X damage spell. I rely on Quirion and Skyshroud elves to give me red mana.

Personally, I don't use many saprolings, but my 4 Thallids do provide some. One of my friends did use a Saproling deck, until I got Extinction, now he mixes it with Bear tokens, Squirrel tokens, and Wurm tokens. Saprolings are still the center of his force though. A favorite card of his is Parallel Evolution. I can't remember the stats, but you can look it up at Wizards.

I don't use Food Chain anymore, but it was a useful addition in my old green deck, which relied on Gaea's Liege, Craw Giant, Llanowar Behemoth, and such like that to do heavy damage. I could remove the weak creatures to summon the strong ones.

Coat of Arms works on ALL creatures as well. I can use my Spike deck, or my Elf deck, and massacre you.

True, there are a number of cards that have that ability. I myself employ several shades in my Black deck. My decks typically situate around one color, so the colorless/colored mana doesn't make much difference.

Remeber the Paladins? Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western? Each one could destroy permanents of different colors? Was there one that could destroy blue? I don't remember.

I remember the days when the hugely powerful creatures had huge disadvantages. Force of Nature: 2GGGG, 8/8 Trample, pay GGGG during your upkeep or it deals 8 damage to you. Lord of the Pit, 4BBB, 7/7 Flying, Trample, sacrifice a creature during your upkeep or take 7 damage. Personal Incarnation 3WWW, 6/6, can redirect damage from it to your life, if it is destroyed, lose half your life. Colossus of Sardia, 9, 9/9 Trample, does not untap unless you pay 9 during your upkeep. The Leviathan, mentioned above. Mishra's War Machine, 7, 5/5 banding, discard a card during your upkeep or take 3 damage and tap it. I can't seem to find a red equivalent, but I guess red wouldn't need one, because it could dish out the damage with ease, and a creature like this would unbalance it.

Back then, we found it amazing if anyone had a 4/4 or better, because such cards were very rare, and typically had a huge disadvantage. A favorite was Rock Basilisk.

Speaking of Basilisks, how about the Sylvan? 3GG, 2/4, when it attacks and is blocked, destroy all creatures blocking it before damage is dealt. Put Lure on this. Bye-bye, opponent's army.

Here's an expensive, but effective, and illegal combo: Black Lotus, Black Lotus, Channeling, Fireball. First Turn win! Eight card deck ensures victory.

10. Valant Rapitor

Not my fault if the friend fails to see, no? Yard killing means the process of removing cards in the graveyard from the game, whether it be simply Withered Wretch's 1: Remove graveyard from the game, or the devestating Haunting Echos, which, for 3BB, removes all cards from a player's graveyard from the game, and removes all copies of those cards from your deck from the game also (or is it just bury them?)

Hurricane is the good green damaging spell, because green lacks air-blocking aside from enchantments. Better to use that instead of thunder (I prefer Fanning the Flames, if not solely for the buyback) and use Vernal Bloom instead of Mana Flare, no matter if Flare's 1 cheaper. With bloom, 4 out of 5 you'll be benefitting from it a lot more than they are.

I know someone who plays a devestating Wurms deck, with Crush, Roar, and of course Parallel Evolution for an ending. It doubles all your tokens and has a flashback.

Food Chain can be used on a high-CMC creature to fuel a goodly-timed fireball. Green and Red pair together rather well.

The point being that Saproling decks can pull tokens out of their arse faster than Elves or Spikes can - unless you have 4 Hivemasters out, but that's insects, not Elves.

Food Chain can fuel colorless a lot, and there are many more methods to gain an ungodly amount of colorless than there are for colored. (Urzatron, Sol Ring, Thran Dynamo, Monolith, Mana Vault, etc)

The paladins were fun - 4 for a 3/3 is nice, and their destroying any permanent isn't anything to scoff at. However, they are a bit slow in both their fields - White has weenies, black has suicide, and the Pallies fit in little else.

Red's all about Chaos. So some drawbacks may not be drawbacks, though there are still some obviouses. Here.

Chaos Lord, 4RRR
    First strike, haste
    During every upkeep, count the number of permanents. If that's even, that player gains control of Chaos Lord.
    7/7

Emberwilde Djinn 2RR
    Flying
    During every upkeep, that player may pay RR or 2 life to gain control of this.
    5/4

Lava Hounds 2RR
    Haste
    When Lava Hounds comes into play, it deals 4 damage to you.
    4/4

Now adays we also have..

Cosmic Larva 2R
    Trample
    At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Cosmic Larva unless you sacrifice 2 lands.
    7/6

There are also many cowards amongst red creatures. Goblin Goon, Orgg, Okk, and Mogg Flunkies are some of them. And god knows how many of red cards have echo. Also, many of them have 'This cannot attack' or 'this cannot block' or both 'if another player controls more land/a creature with power > X' and so on.

I don't think 4/4+s are rare. Maybe 5/5+s, the most prominent being Juzam Djinn, whose drawback wasn't bad at all. 4/4+s had the elementals and djinns all over the place, and demons as well.

I prefer the Cockatrice simply because it can fly. A pity that Sylvan's a Portals card, no? A more recent and just as annoying card is the Voracious Cobra - 2RG, 2/2, First strike, Whenever Voracious Cobra deals combat damage to a creature, destroy that creature. Close enough, I would say. And you can keep some stuff alive as well.

Or Mox, Sol Ring, Channel, Fireball. Not AS illegal, but hey.

11. Reisti Skalchaste

Sounds very interesting. I'll have to get one of these Haunting Echoes.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Hurricane damage all creatures with flying and all players? If so, it would be kind of suicidal. Considering the way my elf deck works, (Aluren/Recycle) I can easily afford a powerful Rolling Thunder fairly early in the game. Vernal Bloom could be useful, and the one extra mana is negligible, as I can easily produce mana. My deck is 75 cards, with 15 mana. It works very well. But this Vernal Bloom would make things a bit better. Still, opponents can take mana burn with the flare, as they find themselves with more mana than they can use. ie. 5-cost spell+six mana from three lands=1 manaburn.

Food Chain can only be used to summon creatures. But you canuse it to, say, summon an Uber-powerful Krakilin. (XGG, 0/0, G:Regenerate, comes into play with X +1/+1 counters on it.)

That's what cards like Tangle and Eladamri are for. (Eladamri gives elves forestwalk and cannot be targeted by spells or ablities) And everyone knows Tangle.

But because Cockatrice has flying, it is limited in what it can kill because non-flyers cannot block it. As for Voracious Cobra, and to add to my big creature=disadvantage statement, Phage the Untouchable, 3BBBB, 4/4, if it comes into play from a location other than your hand, you lose. If it deals combat damage to a creature, bury it. If it deals combat damage to a player, they lose.

Sol Ring costs 1 to play, it and Channel only give you colorless mana. you'd need two moxes. I see the Black Lotus combo as better, even tough it would be ludicrously expensive to get all those cards.

I suppose we sould get back on topic though. Wasn't this thread about an online version of Magic?

12. Valant Rapitor

Yes, it damages all players. And if you worry about life, then invest in a Wellwisher or 4. I believe they are 1G, 1/1, T: Gain life equal to the number of elves in play.

And also, mana burn is of little consequence to the guy who can now play his 8-mana spell 4 turns early.

Or a Rock Hydra, and many other things. And whoops, I forgot that part. Oh well, whip out a Colossus with some random creatures. See how they like it.

-Filler-

Phage is very deadly - just stick evasion on it. And nowadays, the kill statement can be destroyed by a simple Stifle, so you can reanimate it.

Mox gives you 1 red mana.
    Channel gives you 19.
    Sol Ring takes 1 mana to play and gives you 2.
    Thus you get 20R, for a 20 pt fireball.

Edit - Oh, Channel costs 2, not 1? Well damn. I'll just go turn 2 kill and whip out birdies, then.

A discussion about one in the making was on there, but moreso it was to see how many would be interested in such a thing.

13. Reisti Skalchaste

I'm trying, but they're hard to find!

True, maybe I'll get a Vernal Bloom then.

As for the rest, I can think of no proper response.

[EDIT] Except:
    Channel costs 2 GREEN mana. You'd need 2 Mox Emeralds, 1 Mox Ruby, Channel, Sol Ring, AND Fireball. And Turn 2? Someone COULD pull out a counterspell by then. Even a simple Force Spike would do the job. (Costs U, counters spell unless caster pays 1)

Looking back a bit:
    Buyback is a useful ability. I use Brush with Death and Capsize, mostly. Heh, this one game had me playing my Black deck against a White deck with its COP:Black. I had 16 life left, he had 54. I killed his Personal Incarnation to half his life, and killed him with Brush with death over 11-12 turns. BwD makes them lose life, not take damage, so it worked nicely. [/EDIT]

14. Valant Rapitor

But they're commons! If you are so desperate to get 'em, hunt for them online - they are usually a quarter a piece. :p

(Costs U, by the way) Either way, people can pull out a FIRST turn counter if they liked. There's Foil (2UU, counter target spell, may play spell by discarding island and a blue card) and the much more famous Force of Will (3UU, counter target spell, may play spell by discarding blue card and pay 1 life)

Buyback is useful, and Capsize is one of the most annoying spells I know. Also of note is Seething Anger, which is Giant Growth as far as a Red player cares, with buyback. Yum yum.

15. Reisti Skalchaste

Wellwishers may be common, but everyone wants them, so I can't find them, even with 6 or more card shops I can check, usually, no one has them. Online is useful, but you'd have to pay S&H.

I know Force Spike costs 1 Blue, I made an error with the letter, I forgot that B is black and U is blue. It's fixed now, though. I don't like discarding cards, so those others don't interest me.

Or perhaps Elvish Fury. G, Buyback 4, +2/+2 until end of turn.

16. Valant Rapitor

Shrug. Force of Will is one of the most valued cards in the T1 metagame, because it can screw over so many fast combos that it isn't even funny.

I particularly like Corpse Dance out of the buybacks. 3 for instant reanimation with haste for a turn with 2 buyback isn't anything to scoff at. Evincar's Justice is also useful at times, as a small burst of Pestilence. And of course, there is Forbid. No matter what you think, blue decks usually hold a lot of cards due to their counterspelling and need to have mana. Seething Anger's still powerful, and Shattering Pulse is strictly better than Shatter. Whispers of the Muse can be a giant way of drawing cards if you have the mana, and Slaughter's a decent creature kill that comes back.

Now, those things get a lot more deadly with the handy dandy Memory Crystal...

17. Megami-Chan

Megami-Chan New Member

Hehe. One of my Casual decks that sometimes pops up in my extended tournaments revolves around memory crystal. Prevents damage throug some early white stuff (Invulnerability, Change of Heart) the usually busts out a swarm of Lab Rats for the victory. THe only problem is that three colors (I also run Red, since Fanning The Flames is a great kill card) kinds messes with the deck. But, hey, oh well. It's jsut for fun.

18. Hyoga

Hyoga New Member

I've seen my friends play it but, I don't know ho to play it. I wanna learn it though because seems fun.

19. Reisti Skalchaste

It is a pretty easy game to learn. Just pick up a very old starter box, like fifth edition, read the rule book, find a friend who knows how to play, and start playing! Don't be afraid to ask questions when you're not certain.

20. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

well...when i started playing it wasnt hard to learn. back when Third Edition came out. but wih the addition of the new rules in the more recent series, its become a bit more difficult to learn. unfrotunetly, i havent played much recently and i dont know the newer rules. so...im stuck with an old school deck and old school knowledge...