Board and Card Games Magic: The Gathering

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Valant Rapitor, Jun 25, 2004.

?

Do you play Magic?

1. Yes, I play it.

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. I know of it, but I don't play it.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. I would like to play it, but I don't want to spend the cash.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I play it on the internet.

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. No, I do not.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Great! You're exactly where you should be! Stick with that old deck and those old rules!

2. Valant Rapitor

Valant Rapitor A Hungry Weeble

And then we have Shinryu, the advocate of the before-sixth-edition rules. Heehee. Anyway, there's a 3rd Edition? If you mean 3rd Edition by Alphabeta cards, then day-mn.

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Thank you for the intro.:anime:

Although, I honestly think after Exodus was the point where Magic started getting too unfair. Like that crappy Whispersilk Cloak. Way too overpowered. If it only gave ONE of those two abilities it would be better, but as it is, forget it. And of course, all those "If you have such-and-such, you win" cards, like Coalition Victory. And don't even get me started on Thorn Elemental.

4. Valant Rapitor

Whispersilk Cloak? The 3 equip 2 thing? Realize that it has Lightning Greaves, 2 equip 0, untargettable and haste, to complete with. Either way, almost all equipment can be destroyed, and those that can't be destroyed are either too costly or not effective enough. And in T2, well, green has a heckuva lot artifact destruction now.

Remember that there hasn't been one hard that's cheesy as hell yet, cept maybe Skullclamp. Ask a now-player about Lotus, Sol Ring, Channel, and such, and they'll be cowering a lot more. Honestly, some of the early cards were taken aside by Wizards just so they wouldn't make something like it ever again. ;)

5. Reisti Skalchaste

Some of the newer cards should be taken aside. And yes, I do count Skullclamp as one of them.

6. Valant Rapitor

Well, hopefully you realize that a good ol' fashioned Shatterstorm or a recurring Shattering Pulse can blast the whole Mirrodin block to ashes. Mirrodin block just gave Green an even better way of getting rid of artifacts than red, and one or two weenie-loving equips that still can be killed.

7. Reisti Skalchaste

Ahh, Shatterstorm. How do I like thee? Let me count the ways... Actually, there's only one, but it's so useful. And I've got plenty of green artifact-killers now.

These:

Splinter, 2GG, Sorcery, Remove taget artifact from the game, and all copies in players graveyard, hand, and library. That player shuffles his/her library.

Runesword, mentioned above.

Infested Roothold, 4G, Wall, Protection from artifacts, when a player plays an artifact, you may put a 1/1 green Insect token into play.

And another artifact remover that I can't seem to find.

There will never be a time when I prefer new cards to old cards. Unless they take Magic back to its older, more fair days.

Another card that should be set aside: Beacon of Immortality. Sooner or later, you'll have infinite life, and you can't be decked.

BTW, I recently played a game with my Sliver deck. i quickly took control of the game, an kept it going so long that his 190-card deck was at 3 cards. (Mangara's Tome kept me alive) I kept him at one life, so I could sacrifice a token thru my acidic Sliver to kill him any time. He had a 106/106 Arcbound Crusher, I had armies of slivers with all sorts of abilities. When I finished him off, I over killed him by 79,999 damage! Scary, no? Enough to kill a ten Yu-Gi-Oh players in single attack. Just so you know, my full damage potential was 76 damage more. (sacrificing tokens thru Acidic Sliver) And I was capable of gaining 76 life per turn, had I sacrificed tokens thru my Victual after creating them with my Queen.

8. Valant Rapitor

Oh how fun it is today, to own someone through the judicious use of Magma Sliver.

Beacon of Immortality costs 6. For an instant. Nobody'll use it in their lives, really. Here's a couple of examples.

Good red decks can beat down most anything by turn 6. They also have Sulfuric Vortex.
    Good black decks can beat down/discard the beacon.
    Good blue decks can counter the beacon.
    Good green decks can utterly destroy you despite your high life. (Hello, Timberwatch Elves)
    Good white decks can beat down most anything by turn 6, or gain the same, if not more amount of life.
    Good artifact decks can pump out threats faster than they can pump out life - and affinity usually packs Override anyway.

Sure, it's cheesy, but unless you are playing Test of Endurance (in which case you can probably gain life and protect yourself with clerics alone), you won't gain much.

9. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

alright, i need help with my deck. its a red green deck. it originally started as a Red Green speed deck butas time went in i made some changes. as it is i won a local tournament. But i had a tought time of it becase i lack solid mana producing sources. so, this is my deck as follows

Lands
    8 Mountains
    10 Forests

Artificats
    Lotus Petal
    Cursed Scroll

Green Creatures
    1 Lanowar Elf
    1 Femeref Archers
    1 Force of Nature
    1 Thorn Elemental
    1 Maro

Red Creatures
    3 Shivan Dragon
    1 Skizzik
    4 Kird Ape
    2 Mogg Fanatic

Mixed Creatures
    3 Horned Kavu
    1 Sparkcaster

Sorcery

Green Sorcery
    Instant
    3 Giant Growth

Enchantments
    1 Slyvan Library
    1 Overgrowth

Red Sorcery
    1 Obliterate
    3 Fireball
    Instant
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Kindle

Mixed Sorcery
    2 Hull breach

so as you can tell...this deck has changed from a red and green speed deck to more of a red powerhouse. obviously ive done more tampering with the red half rather than the green half and taken many things out of the green half. so right now im looking to keep some of the power but at the same time even out the Green and Red sides.

10. Valant Rapitor

Okay, before I analyze, I shall tell you that RG speed is far superior to RG... biggies? RG speed wins. Biggies is usually reserved for green or black these days..

Lesse.

57 cards

18 lands
    1 consumable mana source
    1 creature mana source

Cards -
    2 Artifact
    10 (+6) green
    21 (+6) red

Mana Ratio (Red:Green)
    8(+1):11(+1)

Card Ratio (Red:Green)
    21(+6):10(+6)

...well, we've got a problem there, don't we?

11. Hitokiri_Gensai

well as i said, its supposed to be a RG speed deck. over time i accumulated some high power creatures and again, as i said, it worked ok. if you play it correctly. you have to get as much mana on the field before you get anything done. and it is possible to play as an ok deck...but id rather it be a speed deck again...i was much better at playing that deck. anyway, i need to get my hands on some Llanowar elves again and some other stuff... i ready to trade my higher creatures like two of my Shivan Dragons and other stuff to attain small quick green creatures. originally, if i remember correctly, it relied heavily on green creatures to create mana and then used red as the power source to come in and overwhelm the opponent. actually...just recently, all the major gaming stores where i would get my cards all just closed...like three of them...so ive been having trouble getting my hands on what i need.

12. Valant Rapitor

You don't have to rip apart your deck if you just fix your mana ratio.

But, for speed, here are my suggestions, things that you want to have.

4 Lightning Bolt
    River Boa (2/1 for 2, REGENERATES, Islandwalk owns blue)
    Less Kindle, more Shock
    4 Giant Growths, 4 Horn Kavu (drop the sparkcaster)
    4 Incinerate or Firebolt. You don't want Obliterate or Fireball in there - you want quick kill.
    4 Mogg Fanatic or 4 Spark Elemental - 2 possible damage first turn, or mini ball-lightning? Your choice.
    4 Llanowar Elf
    4 Rancor - One of the cheapest enchantment cards ever made. G for +2/+0, Trample, and always comes back to your hand when it yards. Extremely good.
    4 Blastoderm or 4 Karstoderm - I like Blastoderm more - 4 for a 5/5, untargettable, lives for 3 turns. Karstoderm, however, 4 for a 5/5, stays in play, but weakens as artifacts are played. I usually suggest Blastoderm for its utter cheapness.

Now, here's some optionals.
    Fires of Yavimaya's always good, but you may not be able to get em. If you can, pack as many as you can.
    Try to get your hands on as many Shivan Oasis as you possibly can, since I doubt you can go for the old dual lands. You'll want 4 of those guys, or 4 Karplusan Forests, and if you are really strapped, you can try Mossfire Valley.
    Shivan Wurm - Though big, this biggie is VERY worthwhile. Pack 1 or 2.
    Voracious Cobra - The 2/2 first strike venom, this really hurts. Pack 1 or 2.
    Flametongue Kavu - Beef killer. He costs 4, has 4 come-into-play damage. Just don't play him if the field's empty or filled with your guys. Pack 1 or 2.
    Harrow - Can solve all of your land problems, but is hard to find as far as I know. Pack as many as you can.
    Skyshroud Elf - Basically, T: Add G to your pool, and filters any mana to red when you want. You may play with a larger green base if you got 4 of these dudes. Quirion Elves can be used this way too by just naming red so you have a R/G elf.
    Ravenous Baloth - Though he costs 4, you simply cannot lose with this guy. You get a 4/4 for 4, which is nice, and if he ever happens to die, just sac him in response and you gain 4 life! Great deal.
    Erhnam Djinn - 4 for a 4/5, and let one creature be unblockable every upkeep. Not bad, not bad. He's ol' Ernie.

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

basicly, thats what my deck was...there a few cards that i dont know. but many of them i had in my deck, my favorite was Shivan Wurm. unfortunetly i traded him out for 3 cursed scroll 2 which i sold for 20 a piece and one i obviously kept. right now tho, its a matter of getting the cards...i dont have a card shop around me anymore so...im stuck without a way to get cards.

14. Reisti Skalchaste

15. Valant Rapitor

I cannot help you with the lack of a card shop, since I'm no branch coordinator or somesuch. However, you can always try to buy em off the internet.

16. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Ahhh magic.

I stopped playing Magic after the realise of Onslaught, mainly because of economic problems.

Well, I still have my decks. 3-4 decks really.

First one: Black Discard / Destroy Deck

Mainly used Terror as my creature killing instant card, and avatar of woes for my "creature living killing creature" cards. Rashi Assains as backups and Baron Sengirs as my boosting creature. Naruto Shades as attackers with Phyrexian Negator and dark portal as my "start up" attacks. And if things get REALLY tough...Plague wind. Yeah it eats your mana like HELL but it's worth it if you play 2 vs 2.

Second one: White Life Bursting / Angels and Coat of Armour

Now this is alot of Life gaining processes. Life bursts, Congregate, and Healing Salve as cheap fast life gaining cards. 4 Coat of arms due to the 4 big Serra Angels, Voice of All, Herald Of Serra, Radiant Archangel, Angel of Mercy. Paladin en~vec and Empyrial Armour as side kicks.

Third one: Discard the Psychotog.

This is probably my strongest deck. Basically it's discarding your hard as much as possible and clear the oppontents hand, and not to mention the table. Counterspells, Memory Lapse & Predict, Fact or Fiction, Rewind, False Memories, AEther Burst and the lovely and sexy Undermine.

17. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

My friend who plays magic has a 'solitaire' deck. Its handy. When you get the right cards you can use about 20 cards at a time. He once did 135 damage to me with that deck on one turn.

18. Valant Rapitor

Rathi Assassin.. the mercenary? Heh, Royal Assassin is almost strictly better, and pretty current (and also was around back then), but, hey. The shame is, Mercenaries recruit down, so they can't grab themselves (innuendo!) while Rebels can. Nyah nyah, mercs!

Baron Sengir is quite a creature to use as boosting, seeing as they cost 8 for a 5/5 compared to normal Sengirs, 5 for 4/4s that, though having less boost, is probably more likely to catch someone with their pants down. (innuendo!)

I hope you mean Nantuko over Naruto Shades. We can guess what you've been thinking of, eh? Well. You have Negators, niftiness - they are some of the best black suicide cards. Simply devastating. And I assume you mean Dark Ritual. (come, already forgetting card names? :p)

I'd comment on the plaguewind, but I think it'd probably be better if I saw the decklist, but hey. Plaguewind is useful at times, and at others, uh, let's just say it's a bit slow.

Mmm, angels. Though you lack early creature defense (Paladin en-vec's your cheapest creature, at 3), meaning that stompy can run you over if you pull lucky Congregates vs weenies. The angels are nice, indeed, but they cost a lot, and are slow. Coat of Arms, being such an expensive and a valuable card, shouldn't be used for angels, as that just paints a giant target for a Swords/Humble/Burn/Hurricane/Spot Removal. I guess that it IS devastating late game, but I'd like to know a game where you got more than 4 or 5 angels and the other guy wasn't already dead.

Yeah, it does seem to be your best deck, no? Psychatog's regularly played, though perhaps not to your specifications - but hey, blue's easy to piss off people with, especially with Predict, FoF, and Burst. Undermine's a kick in the balls, to be sure. I wouldn't want to play this deck, since not many of my RL decks have beaten 'tog.