Debate myths or legends

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Basher, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

myths or legends are some true? another ongoing debate for years

lets start with mermaids

pic below

there is a show that proves myths or legends true or not on discovery channel

i have heard that all myths or legends are based on truth

i was hoping if some ppl will help me figure out (debate) if there are some truth to some myths or legends

my argument for mermaids are sightings found http://rubens.anu.edu.au/student.projects/mermaids/sightings.html -here

also the pic

i am one who believes there are mermaids and not that dolphine like ppl say they are

2. Odango_rose

Odango_rose New Member

I think that this specific "legend" can't be found true or untrue.

The true:
    There have been supposed sightings of something to which is described as a mermaid looking type of thing.

Even though we haven't seen them in the ocean recently, we still don't know of every species that lives in the water.

plus the ocean is so deep there are places we haven't even seen, because we can't go down that deep. It is so vast there are creators and tons of other geographical things we haven't made note of.

The Untrue:
    The documents that have been made about these "creatures " are so old you can't validate them to be true.

There have been no True recent sightings of them. They have practicly died off as even being remotely possible.

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Dolphin?

Do you mean the sea-cow, or manatee? That's the animal that most experts agree early sailors of the Florida area mistook for mermaids.

It seems fully wrapped up, but I don't know what conclusion to draw, really, so I'll fence sit. Why? Because of chance.

After all, scientists of today know more about outer space than they do of our own oceans.

"[The Pacific Ocean] takes up about one-third of the earth's surface. The area of the Pacific is greater than that of all of the continents combined."
    -Global Development Research Center

And that's just one Ocean. There's far more water than land on Earth, so it's decidely likely that there are many organisms beneath the waves that we have yet to have encountered. There could possibly be a living race of merpeople far beneath the murky blue.

4. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Old accounts of mermaids are totally bogus.
    Sailors have claimed to see all manner of stupid crap. The edge of the world being one of them. They are not a valid source. Notice how they are all female. Makes sense seeing as all the sailors were men. Why would they want to bring back tales of seeing big buff mermen flexing their pecks on the rocks.

The fact that some people actually believe in such things amazes me. It's real Weekly World News stuff here.
    For such a creature to evolve half human half fish, and being able to breath on land aswell as water. I know of no creature with any kind of similar characteristics.

It's pure fantasy. Now I can't prove it but I thought common sense would help.
    There are probably hundreds or thousands of species of marine animals in the oceans that we don't know about. But I doubt any of them are the half fish, half playboy model that the sailors reported.,

Yes myths and legends are usually based on fact. Fact that is distorted by exageration over time as it's told time and time again.

5. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

I think it would be very creepy knowing that there were underwater civilizations. Because there territory ( Oceans ) would surround our own. Also we wouldn't know if they were friendly or not.

I believe that most sightings of mermaids are Manatees like what BMS said. It is the just the easiest way to explain everything.

6. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Don't depend on Common Sense, Hamish, it's really not that common.

As far as evolution, We all caem from the seas, but humans didn't just directly come from them. Even if mermaids were at one time real, then I seriously doubt they'd look just like us. They may have existed at one time, but I doubt they sat onr ocks and combed thier hair, and they probably looked like freaks. Fish eyes, and stuff. And how could a body balance half skin half scales? They were probably fully scaled or something. So maybe if they ever did exist, they're not what we take them to be. Myth, I'd say. Maybe loose legend, changed over years and years of passing teh story down.

7. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

i Believe that merpeople are real. I think that at some piont in time people evolved from monkeys. So wat if poeple also evolved from another unknown spiecies. Or what if somthing happened in accient history, say a flood that cuased a town of people to start living under water, and so they evolved and adapted to the water so that they could live there. And that one town reproduced and the mer people spread all over the world.

8. Osaka

Osaka New Member

Unfortuneatly if a flood came, the people would die not evolve. Why? beacuase it takes hundreds of year for something to evlove, not days. And before the humans would evolve, the'd die from not being able to breath.

Once agian like BMS said, people can mistake other creatures for mermaids. There for I say not real until proven other wise.

Although It may be possible that mermaids are real, Its highly doubtable. Firsts off, the depths of the ocean would get so cold for humans to live that they would freeze. That would be the first sign that nothing half human could live in something that far down.

Secound, people have also stated of seeing water dinosuars in the ocean. Poepple have also said big foot is real. Until they have proven run tests and other such, to prove that these are real mermaids, and not some people dressing in mermiad outfits and swimming in the water, then we have no Real facts to say if the are real or not.

Although it is possible, for right now I say no.

9. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

Myths and Legends Part II: BIGFOOT

Since everyone is really settled on mermaids being anything but mermaids, lets throw a wrench into the system.

Since this is the Myths and Legends debate---here one of the biggest talked about in modern history:

BIGFOOT

The most famous sighting in history was in 1967 when Roger Patterson and Robert Gimlin got actual footage of a female "Bigfoot" in Northern California.

To this date, no one has been able to find fault in this discovery.

And thus--the debate begins.........

Vic

Attached Files:

10. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

I also believe in Bigfoot. There is no proof to say it isn't real, same thing with the Loch Ness Monster which i also believe in.

Supposedly Scotland used to be two peices and when they came together some of the prehistoric sea creatures got trapped in the lakes and have been inbreeding ever since.

As for Bigfoot many people say it doesn't exist because their are no corpses. Well one safari game hunter said that he has never ever seen an elephant corpse in Africa, same thing goes for a park ranger in British Columbia who has never seen a bear corpse in the woods even though he had been working their for 25 years. It just means that Bigfoots decompose or are eaten by scavengers like everything else.

11. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

personally, I believe in the giant invisible pink elephants of new guinea.

now I have never actually *seen* a skeleton, of said elephant. and even if I had, some skeptics claim that it would be impossible to prove that said elephant skeleton was a *PINK* elephant skeleton, let alone an invisible one. but I just think they are afraid of the truth, and are just saying that to protect their own close minded view of the universe.

anyway, the reason I believe in the pink invisible elephants of new guinea is because a friend of mine (who btw is an INCREDIBLE authority on the subject of pink invisible elephants) told me once that he had seen a P.I.E. (pink invisible elephant to the layman or laywoman) while he was tripping on acid, and the next day when he went to the museaum in the local town he discovered that no onw had ever displayed a corpse of a pink invisible elephant . After taking this into account, and the incredibly detailed and lucid account of my friend rasher (who, as I mentioned is an incredible authority in p.i.e.'s) I decided that I believed in the existence of Pink Invisible Elephants because there was so much evidence and secondary information proving that they existed, while all the disbelivers said was "oh, we never found a skeleton".

clearly, the pink invisible elephants exist, the only reason very few people have seen them is that they are in fact invisible and to be spotted, the human brain has to be in a certain state of drug-induced hallucination.

let this be a lesson to you all, the more drugs you take the more pink invisible elephants you will see, and the more you will learn about the world.

12. VM1070

WHAT!!!!

What does this have to do with the Loc Ness or Bigfoot?

Are you trying to make fun of the myths/legends being presented here???

Vic

13. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

I worry about the state of mind of a person who has to ask that question..

pink invisible elephants indeed...

everyone know they're orange

14. VM1070

I worry about you at times Mordeth, besides--the whole Loc Ness myth was sort of proven a hoax after they discovered the picture everyone in the world has seen was a fake.

But you need to see the facts concerning Bigfoot. There is way too much evidence to support such a group of creatures living in the pinelands of America and Canada.

Vic

15. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

There is evidence that big foot is real and sightings. SO yes i believe in him.

Is there like "cousins" to big foot? I think the Yeti was one.

As far as mermaids go what sane person now a days would admit to seeing one and actually get noticed for it? NONE that is why there are sightings noticed over 50 years ago. Back then they did't have these insane people seeing things like the Pink Invisible Elephant (PIE).

Mord, I would't be surprised if you doubted that giant squids exist. And giant squids do exist there was a carcass of one years ago washed up somewhere in the ocean. I cannot remember where. I should have paid attention in earth science class.

And Mord if you don't like the topic then stay out of this debate. I could go ahead and ask you about your beliefs maybe even your god and prove some of them wrong. You can just go back to looking for the so called P.I.E. Maybe you can draw me a picture sometime.

I just hope this thread doesn't start debating the so called P.I.E. Lets just stick to the known myths.

I still have not figured out what that name of that discovery show was. Maybe if I watch the discovery channel for once I will get a name.

16. Migoto Neko

Migoto Neko New Member

Re: WHAT!!!!

It's called sarcasm/satire. And I think it was done rather well.

17. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

There's another addition to the debate.
    God.
    Myth or fact.
    And Basher, I don't think there's any need to disprove god to Mordeth. As I'm sure he will no doubt point out.

And there is a lot more evidence of Giant Squids that there is of mermaids and bigfoot put together.
    There's more evience of giant squids than there is of any god.

18. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

well if you can actually prove any of my 'beliefs' incorrect then please do, better the harsh truth than a pleasant lie.

and how exactly can i draw you a picture... they're invisible..

duh

1 person likes this.
  19. VM1070

Here's a New one from my Home State of NJ:

The Jersey Devil:

The origin of the creature dates back to the 18th century. The story goes as follows:

When Mrs. Leeds, an indigent woman living in secluded poverty with her twelve starving children, found out she was to have another child exclaimed: "I don't want any more children! Let it be a devil." When the child was born, it was horribly deformed. It crawled from the womb and up the chimney and out into the woods. It is rumored to have fed on small children and livestock while haunting the area for years to come. Hence, the creatures other name is the Leeds Devil.

Records of sightings of the creature in established newspapers did not appear until the advent of the Twentieth Century. It is safe to speculate that any written records prior to the 1900s were either lost or destroyed over time. One of the earliest sightings recorded by local Philadelphia newspapers was in 1899 and it involved a businessman named George Saarosy who was awoken one night by loud, high-pitched screams in his yard. When he looked out his window, he saw the Jersey Devil fly past his house.

Here is some info---let the debate begin......

Vic

20. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Hey what about all the Irish stuff, like Leprachauns, fairies, banshees and all that crap we make up to lure in American tourists.