Video Games NEWS:The X-Box 360 Falls into the wrong hands...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Seishin, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

that's my point. if there was 50 consoles that all functioned the same, you'd buy the best looking one wouldn't you. just because there isn't that choice doesn't mean microsoft shouldn't care.
    There are bugger all limitations to what they can do with the looks. the ps2's have heating problems 'cause they've packed everything in as tight as possible and haven't provided enough ventilation on the shell. if you use some basic dimensions and standard surface are of ventilation then the looks will have zero impact on performance.
    or you can look at it another way. when you're looking for a girlfriend do you look for :
    a) someone with brains
    b) someone with looks, or
    c)both?.

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

...Well no, I mean, what's in my budget range; what's simply gaudy; and so forth... especially since looks are a matter of opinion and what looks like crap to you might be just my style.

Actually, you have to consider heating/air flow problems, along with hardware design. A casing has to be built for the hardware, not vice versa.

...So you admit there ARE limitations. Heating is NOT good for hardware at all and contributes to rapid degrading, along with a host of other problems.

Bear in mind that the slim PS2s have also had time to miniaturize their hardware. I'm glad the Xbox has lots of area and big honkin fans.

Perhaps I should reiterate. The Xbox, when not in active use, simply sits beside my TV. Odds are I'm not actually looking at it. If I'm watching tv, I'm focusing on the screen, not the console. If I'm doing something else, my eyes are elsewhere. Looks are a non-issue for me; performance is what counts. (I also prefer the Imperial Star Destroyer to the USS Enterprise-D, or any other Trek ship :D)

Someone with brains who looks at least decent and doesn't have a horrid sex drive. If the XBox were a woman, she'd be a cute girl with a large bodyframe, but not only gave the best conversations, but the best... cuddles. :)

For those curious the Cube would be a slightly ditzy short girl with a never-give-up personality and great home cooking skills, and the PS2 would be a glitzy airhead with a lot of personal problems. She'd have a younger sister, PSTwo, with anorexia problems.

Hmm. Anyone interested in making Console-tans?

3. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

im on it =0
    would be a good addition for the website ill upload soon^^
    i doubt there'll be a sony tan though...
    ds-tan: touching is good.

oh and not to be off-topic, that kid is such a moron. if i had an xbox360 id be humping it all night.

1 person likes this.
  4. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm thinking of Painting my PS2 with Classic Green Pearl Mica color ^^I'm also thinking of a design, but consoles and paint don't mix too well XP

5. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

budget's irrellevant. it's an extension of the toaster analogy. looks are a matter of opinion, but the sort of people who are gamers have similar tastes, lifestyles and such. They will also find similar things attractive. if you don't believe me, then start a poll for gamers to vote on whether the ps2 or xbox looks better. (then eliminate all the voters who voted for the console they own.)
    yes, i never said there wasn't. but remember that the limitations that exist for an ugly design are the same ones that exist for a good looking one. They had to deal with those problems for the original styling. If would have been just as easy to give it a nice appearance.

yes, when you're not using something you're generally not looking at it, but thats no reason to make everything ugly.

my take:
    xbox: the butch girl who just transferred from another school, dresses only in black, listens to slayer and napalm death. she has plenty of insight, but no-one cares to listen cause she looks like a freak.

ps2: the cheerleader, who's mum was prom queen. she's a houshold name, looks the part, ironically has plenty of brains, but the controls she comes with are crud.

Cube: the wheezing geriatric who's dying a less than respectable death in the corridor. at the last moment before death, he'll be cryogenically frozen, only to be thawed at a later date as a blast from the past novelty.

maybe that kid could be convinced to try it out on the 360?

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I'm a gamer and don't find the same things attractive... I thought that would be obvious by now?

The fact that you're willing to lump gamers into one big category is leading me to really wonder how indepth you've thought about this. There are twitch gamers, rpg gamers, puzzle gamers, flight jockeys, race fanatics, fighting game enthusiasts, and more. There are gamers who still love 2D and gamers who can't stand it (I live with examples of both). Gamers can also lead varied lifestyles. Some people hate the Xbox design. Some people just don't like how big it is. Some people don't care about the looks at all.

Edit: For those curious on how lifestyles can vary, let's take my housemates and I. Chris does three things in life: sleeps, works at McDonalds on whatever shift he's called in for, and plays RPGs on his PS2, though he was obsessed with Fable on my Xbox for a while. Kevin does much more: Works 9-5 on weekdays, watches tv, watches Chris play rpgs, plays Smash Brothers on the Gamecube, screws around on the net, and sleeps. I work, play around with the net, and when it comes time to play games, it's always a choice between my computer, my xbox, or my gamecube. Oh, and I sleep too. As far as visual tastes go, I don't care. Kevin thinks the Xbox is huge but overall doesn't care. Chris dislikes how big the Xbox is but doesn't care as long as the games are good.[/Edit]

Yes you did. " There are bugger all limitations to what they can do with the looks."

But I don't find the Xbox ugly to begin with... plus if the hardware is large and runs hot enough, you are limited to what it can do.

But I don't find Xbox ugly? And your Consoletans show even more bias than mine do. :p

7. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I noted the latest specs of the Xbox360 dropped from 3.2Ghz to only 2Ghz...

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox360/factsheet.htm

Microsoft says otherwise.

Furthermore, I'd like everyone to remember NOT to get caught up in buzzwords and specs. Am I the only one who remembers BLAST processing and the EMOTION engine?

9. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

you mean the "toy story 2 graphics in-game"? im still laughing at that one, sony sucks.

im really hyped up with the 360, it looks like itll have a great array of genres and some of the games announced sound so awesome. they announced "enchant arm" yesterday, looks really good ^^
    and OMG gears of war.

10. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Nah Sony does not suck.. I mean honestly do you really Believe that Mircosoft is better. the only reason they have ANY games for the current Xbox is they can spend as much cash needed to buy them..

But anyway does not matter.. the New xbox and sony will most probably be pretty much Identical in power and graphics.. it will be a tie..

2 people like this.
  11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Yep; I've found their hardware to be more reliable (though Nintendo is better), and they have a better warranty/repair policy I find. I worked at EB over the summer and handled a lot more defective PS2s than I ever did Xboxen. I also find the Xbox controller much more comfortable, though obviously not everyone feels the same way.

12. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/22/xbox360_peek/

there I knew I did...

"However, Microsoft was more than happy to discuss the power of the machine. Graphics are controlled by a 500MHz ATI graphics chip, and the console is powered by three 2GHz cores."

3.2 or 2Ghz doesn't matter... it's the games and the coding powers that makes those clocks go fast...

Max Payne 1 run blazing fast on a P3 500Mhz, while other games with the same graphics powr ate up 900Mhz cpus of that era and didn't look half as sweet

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

It's possible they're in error; I've heard this report nowhere else, and not even the Xbox page has it?

14. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

let's hope so then

15. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

you just described 3 people with identical lifestyles. what does that proove?. (other than my point). all you say they do is work sleep and game.

this is not a 'big' catergory at all, it's a niche. how many people out there live lifestyles like the one you described in your house?
    there's approx 6,451,366,012 people in the world today. minus the population of all the countries the xbox won't be shipped to. and half the figure again to get the male population, then cull out the males who don't fit into the age catergory of 10-30. then cull out those who have no interest in gamming... etc. etc. your left with a damn small market. It would be suicide for a console to try to target every genre of gaming. (and pointless).

yes, bugger all. Ample air vents is one limitation. that's bugger all.

then you're one in a trillion. and the hot hardware only limits the style to the the extent of the air vents. it's still primarily a hardware problem that ness a harware solution.

maybe i'm not a 'gamer' ;)

16. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

easy guys XP we don't want this thread closed ;P

guys prefer xbox? cool, guys prefer sony? cool... guys prefer nintendo... cool too...

I know I'm gonna buy a PS3 boomerang controller or not

17. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Thanks for paying attention to the length of time they game, along with the type of games (both visually and gameplay wise) they enjoy and what platform they game on. Stop skimming posts and pay attention to detail.

For those more curious, Chris works overnights at McDonalds, Kevin works 9-5, and I'm a part-timer. Prior to the summer I was also a student. If you still call that "the same" lifestyle, something is wrong.

So most of the world can be removed.

So when you felt it was ok to lump all gamers into one category, it wasn't pointless? I wasn't talking about targeting every market, I was talking about how there are different gamers. The joystick I have, for example, might be just what a casual gamer wants, but if I had the income I'd have an independant throttle and foot pedals, along with a stick that can "twist" for an extra axis. A hatswitch would be wonderful too. Yet to the casual gamer, that's going to be horribly complex and unnecessary.

Similarly, Chris can't stand KOTOR because it doesn't have Final Fantasy style menus, which to another rpg gamer might be totally irrelevant.

Along with the actual physical size and configuration of the hardware. Ever wonder why consoles and computers are nearly always cubic or rectangular in their proportions? You can't just, say, bend a motherboard a few times over. Furthermore, putting lots of hardware into a small space is NOT a good idea, because heat will add up quickly and fans can only do so much. Heatsinks, also, add on bulk.

If you think airvents just solve all heating problems if you add on enough, you really do need to look at how modern computers are designed. Fans aren't enough; heat sinks, built-on interior fans and, in some cases, liquid cooling systems are used with increasing frequency. Like it or not these WILL add on bulk and weight.

Additionally, there's the hard drive, which is a fair bit of volume.

Then kindly stop telling me what gamers are and are not, and what we like and don't like.

Don't like the Xbox? Don't look at it. Get back to us when you don't insist your television room look like an upscale nightclub.

18. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

its seems to be you skimming, 'cause you keep posting reply's that i've already replyed to. that why we're going round in circles...
    if you really think that someone has a different lifestyle than another person, cause they like different genre's of games, platforms etc. then you must be crazy. heard the saying 'there's more to this world'?

yes. if they're not targeted for sales then they're irrelavent.

it's not possible to target rpg'ers, fighters etc. with a console you can effectively only target 1 group. there are main groups of gamers. the hard-core gamers, like yourself, who knows sh&^loads about the harware, the software and everything related. Then there's the casual gamers who bought one to occasionally plug up the occasional half hour that they've got nothing better to do. The console will accommodate both. cause the casual user only needs to know how to turn it on to use it. The peripherals provide the customization that can satisfy both users, as that's main physical interaction with the unit, and the development costs of the peripherals make it sustainable.

i never suggested changing any internal workings or their configerations. just the exterior.

as i said, heating is primarily a hardware problem. the xbox doesn't have a problem with overheating, so their are no effects of styling the exterior as long as you provide the vents.

chill. you've asked for my opinion, and so i'm giving it.

19. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Hmm, might I make a suggestion? Poom-poom, you've complained about how the X-box looks. Clearly it's important to you for some vague reason. You say it's ugly. Well, what wouldn't be ugly? What would you change about it to make it "pretty"?

I find myself agreeing with Neph, by the way.

20. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i'm not gonna go into what makes something look good. we'd be here forever. i'll start by saying that materials, texture and colour are all tastelessly done. and if you want to know what wouldn't look ugly, then look at the new generation consoles and the ps2.
    clearly i'm not the only one who thinks it's ugly. i'm yet to meet someone who thinks otherwise. clearly microsoft got the message, cause they've done 360 on the styling.