Video Games PS2 vs. GameCube vs. X-Box

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by blood_pheonix, Nov 29, 2002.

?

Which is the best?

1. PS2

57 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. GameCube

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. X-Box

28 vote(s)
    27.7%
  1. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

But, see, most gamers right now think that because we're in our prime. In a few years from now, when the next-gen-gamers are now in *our* position...they'll be saying the "Halos, FFVII, KOTOR".

It's just the way things are.

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

But I don't want my console to be a swiss army knife. If I really feel like being utilitarian, I'd just buy a computer and emulate everything. I like it when my consoles can focus on games.

DVD playing is a nice perk if you still didn't have a dvd player (and if you could afford a PS2 you can most easily afford a dvd player); but for any serious home theater buff a PS2 is not the way to go. If the PS2 somehow gave better quality than my dvd player, sure, I'd be all over it, but the fact is it simply doesn't.

Consider: When the PS2 was new, you could get a DVD player for under a third of its price if you put a little time into looking around. Odds are if you had the disposable income to buy a PS2 when it was new, you had a dvd player already. If you waited to buy a PS2 when it was cheaper, you had had the disposable income for a DVD player that entire time. I consider the DVD capability a nice little convenience but nothing to really brag over.

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Well, considering games only, the PS2 still had the best selection out of the possibilities. I never much cared for any of the games on any other system. (Except, I did want to play Knights of the Old Republic)

4. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

i think overall PS2 has the replay quality with its game selection, Gamecube has the deep and thoughful games for those who prefer depth, and X-box has the graphics and powerful games. They all have what they bring to the gaming industry and each has their faults and their prosperities but all have one thing in common... they are all made for our satisfaction, which makes all three my prime choices. Sorry i couldnt come to a conclusion (even though im full on Gamecube) but trully all are my favorite and each and every one of them has a right to be my favorite....

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Why do people keep trying to insist one console has more replay value or deeper games? None of the consoles are limited in those areas. Each console has its Eternal Darknesses and its Monkey Balls.

wow that reads really funny

6. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I never said that. I merely said that, out of all the next-gen games I've seen, the greatest number of good ones were for the PS2. That's all.

7. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Was there really such a game made? Wasn't it Monkeyball?

Whatever console came up with that!?

- K

8. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Super Monkey Ball originally came out on the Gamecube. They recently jumped to Xbox and PS2 as a "Deluxe" version.

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Read the post right below yours.

Yeah, but do you give those other consoles equal exposure to your PS2 or...? I could easily claim that the XBox overall has better games than the SNES but that's because I readily remember the utter amount of total crap that exists for the SNES. That and thanks to the wonders of Bittorrent, I have every game ever made in english for the SNES. In comparison, I've only played a comparitively small selection of Xbox games, and due to my amazing not-buying-crap ability, it's been an extremely good experience save for one thing I found for five bucks.

If you ask me the general ratio of good games to bad is pretty much the same all across the board, although Sony has a habit of grabbing as many games as they can in the hope that they'll grab that golden hit and there might actually be a slight bit more crap for Sony.

Like Izzy said, in 10 years people will look back and think that current consoles were godly and had the best games. I know the days of the NES and SNES seem amazing, but then you load up SimEarth and Revolution X...

10. SteamedRice

SteamedRice New Member

PS2 & Gamecube

I don't think losing 200 dollars is even funny in the first place :p Only the rich would find it amusing :rolleyes:
    ----------
    I'm a PS2 and Nintendo Gamecube owner.. I'm quite satisfied with it, especially my PS2 which is very reliable when I'm watching my animes, and playing games of course (that's the reason why I bought it).. Plenty of game selections that are quite enjoyable like MGS2: Sons Of Liberty, MGS3: Snake Eater, DMC1, DMC3, Onimusha 1-3, need I say more? Oh and there's the Final Fantasy series :cool:

My Gamecube on the other hand only has 4 games which are The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker, The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time, Metroid Prime, and Resident Evil 4.. still cool by the way.

Xbox.. well I just don't give a damn.

11. sylverdragonfly

sylverdragonfly New Member

Hmmm, it was tough, I had to vote PS2 because well...it does get the better games and I have most of my games for PS2. Though I love Nintendo but the only real reason I've ever upgraded my nintendo over the years was for one game alone, Zelda. Yes that's my only reason for Nintendo aint it sad, but I'm a fanatic, I can't help myself. I'm waiting on my Bujingai for PS2, can't wait to see how that plays, if anyone has it let me know. And I was never keen on XBox...the PS2 does everything the XBox does but better, that's what I've heard (different games but I see no point). I do miss my Sega Saturn though XD Brain Dead 13 how I miss you.

12. nomad-alpha

nomad-alpha New Member

xbox yo... ok ps2 has better games but my xbox never ever crashed.. my ps2 crashes everyother month... so xbox itis..

13. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

I'll have to agree somewhat with you Shinryuu. WHile the PS2 has come out with a lot of nice games, with great graphics, X-Box hit the jackpot with Halo and Halo 2. Then there's the Game Cube, yes Neph, it does do what its supposed to and it comes in a strong third with some graphics for its games. So i have to give you that part of my argument to you.

14. coldhearted

coldhearted Queen of Randomness

I voted PS2. A lot of my favorite games are on this system. And although it isn't the most powerful system I still like playing it. PS2 gets my vote.

15. MaesHughes

MaesHughes New Member

PS2 is definately the best. XBOX would take second, and Gamecube with third. I've played all three systems, and I like the PS2 much better as well. PS2 has awesome games and awesome graphics. XBOX is okay, but no PS2, and the Gamecube is like the Nintendo 64 just with a new controller, better graphics, and more games.

16. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

PS2 is the best. It can do anything the X-box can do, if ur not a retard you would know this.
    Its got mass amounts of Games, can play both PS1, PS2(obviously) Dvd etc etc.
    All X-Box can boast is Halo 1 & 2, which i own and they are, I have to say, OVER RATED.
    As far as I'm concerned SONY will always and always have done, owned the consoles, when they stepped into the arena for games, of course before then, nintendo owned them all, but as i said, ONCE SONY entered, nintendo came second best. :p

17. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

Then ur PS2 is bust, I've NEVER had even one prob with my PS2 and I've had it since it was released!

18. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

When Nintendo was developing the N64, they were going to have Sony make the CD's for it. But before they released it, the president of Nintendo decided that he no longer wanted to use another company to make the N64 work, so they kicked Sony out and used their own cartridges. In retaliation, Sony started developing the Playstation. Later, the president of Nintendo basically gave all third party companies a big "**** you!" and abolished all third party relations. Third party support is the most important thing to a first party company in the business. When Nintendo did this, all of the companies moved to the Sony's Playstation. The loss of many key companies like Square-Enix and Hideo Kojima lead to the Nintendo's downfall.

At some recent conferences between Sony and developers, many of the developers are becoming mad because Sony is starting to do the same thing Nintendo did but not to such a large effect. We can only wait and see how this will affect them.

19. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I used to work at EB games and I can tell you right now that the X-Box did have better graphics. Additionally if you think all the X-Box had was the Halo series, you didn't look at its game library at all.

As far as PS2 reliability, the PS2 does have reliability issues. I blame it on cheap components.

Edit: Eternal Blaze, it wasn't the N64 they were developing with Sony; it was a Super Nintendo CD attachment. Additionally Nintendo didn't abolish all third party relations; developers left because Nintendo was pretty much abusive in its relationship with them ('do things our way or not at all', charging a lot for the developers kit, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo

20. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Xbox. Way better graphics then the PS2. Gamecube graphics are not bad. I played the Pokemon game for it. I kind of liked it. Also with the Gamecube with the Pokemon game you need a different memory stick for each save plus it doesn't save automatically another minus. So it would be Xbox for me.