Debate Religion What is it????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Dreams, Sep 30, 2003.

?

Religion is.........

1. The most important thing ever how dare you question it's importance

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Church

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. the thing my parents make me do

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Crazy Lunatics singing and mumbling

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Zeffie the AI

Zeffie the AI New Member

um.... arent most clothes made of 2 materials? like polyester and cotton? okay..thats one of the strangest bible sayings ive ever come across... i dont really have a religion. if you have never noticed, most religions tell the same stories in different ways. so maybe there is a link to them all, making them all correct.

2. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Uh, excuse me, but I greatly disagree. Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed and Moses all had pretty unique experiences. The single thing that all of them have in common is that they all attain eternal salvation, and that's obvious - Every religion needs one guy to personify the teachings in that religion. Still, that's not even including the countless mythologies of old times (Greek, Norse, Egyptian, Aztec, etc.) So I'm sorry, but I don't really see your point. Maybe you could provide another example?

By the way, I see that you're a new member. Welcome aboard. :)

3. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

I find it very amusing when people take the Bible literally when it has been altered so much over the ages. Its been changed by rulers to fit their needs, translated, and was written by biased human men in the first place. That doesn't mean I don't think it has some good points, but I just don't rely wholy on it. Jesus said some great things about love. I am surprised sometimes though at how vehment people get over others religions. According to some I am the member of a dangerous cult who makes its followers feel that they won't have to take responsibility for their sins before the Almighty. I find what they say makes me a bit angry, but then I find it pretty funny. It's true, when you believe in reincarnation what comes after this life doesn't worry you too much, but that doesn't mean you're going to go on a killing rampage. In the end you probably would have less an inclination for that kind of action since you don't have the deperation of feeling trapped in this life for your whole existence. Actually I'd have to agree with the idea that most religions teach the same things, they just have different ways of teaching it. Three of the major religions are from the same origin, and are differnt because of one man. The Jews had Moses, to that the Christians added Jesus, and the Muslims added Muhammad after that. Most successful religions preach love, and good works anyways(whether they stick to it is different). So, I'll think my way, but will repect others' choices whether I agree or not.

1 person likes this.
  4. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

I think its church, with lunatics singing and mumbling, but I guess I'm one of those lunatics... Even though I don't go to church often.

5. pris17

pris17 New Member

I agree with what you said. Some people need religion. I even am comforted by religion. I beleive that there is a certain structure and balance to life. Whether it is one god or many. The basic principles in every religion is to be a good person. So that i will try to be. :D

6. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

You dont need religion to be good....

I think behavior is based on the environment...some good or bad actions cant be prevented through religion.

7. DrunkenDaydream

DrunkenDaydream New Member

so true, vicious, so true. Although-- while some good or bad actions can't be prevented through religion, I think many are. But society has a tendency to focus on the bad side of things, so like if someone who has religion does something bad, it taints religion's credibility. Personally, I have no care for religion, but I don't think it's bad. But there is one interesting thing I'd like to point out:
    Someone once said, "Religion is for those who don't have the drive or faith in themselves to do the right thing."
    and another responded, "But religion can give them that faith and comfort."
    (something like that) Something to think about~~~