Debate rights or education...I Wonder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cowboy, Jan 6, 2004.

?

should your rights end as soon as you step through school doors?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  3. Not sure

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. to a point

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Miko

Miko New Member

alright, im not flaming you, but lets get on the same page.
    1 in my town, there is only one school. going to another one is not an option
    2 school is the one place they need to teach kids to voice their opinions. ever heard of student council?
    3 you can keep some people quiet some of the time, but you cant keep all of the people quiet all of the time

2. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

I cant argue about the uniforms. I go to a public high school that requires uniform (that includes a tie!!) and yet i dont argue cuz its the rules. But there are times when someone should speak out. Cause who knows...someone may abuse there power.

Like for instance....on thursdays we have gym last period. But they say that i have permission to miss gym to go to tutoring. But the thing is that i dont want to go to tutoring, i want to go to gym and play soccer ( something i hardly do becuz of school!!!!) But they make me go. I have signed nothing that says i wanted to go. So should i stay quiet and go to tutoring, or should i go and do what i really want to do for that period? I at least have a little speck of rights in school dont I?

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Then suck it up, kiddo. Do you think you're going to get to wear jeans with holes and a ratty t-shirt if you work in an office? What about cops? Why can't they chill out with a Linkin Park t-shirt?

Oooo, student council, a figurehead designed to give schoolkids the illusion that they influence the school! I don't know how your school works, but my student council did only two things that I can recall... 1) Organize dances. 2) Bought a foozeball table. WOO! Oh, and there was that time they played Super Mario Golf on the school tv system.

Furthermore, go to a public school. Look around. Do you notice the majority of kids wearing shirts making political statements? No, you see sports wear and music band shirts.

How is ones opinion ever stopped by a clothing standard? Have kids never heard of writing an essay? (Edit: In other words, why should I even care about your opinion if it can be condensed into a few words that can be slapped onto a shirt? 2-second soundbytes are rarely informative or persuasive.)

Of course not, but uniforms do go a fair way towards maintaining some order.

4. Vicious

I have to agree with you on this one. In my school...no one can brag about thier clothes because we dress in black and white. They can brag in "dress down" day though.

Your appearence somehow adds up to your popularity you know....

5. Miko

Miko New Member

our dress code is, like, red, white, or navy blue polo shirts with a 3 or 2 button closure, and navy or khaki pants, shorts, or skirt. i know it doesnt sound that bad, but our district gets really nitpicky about the dress code. like, if you wear a shirt with 'too many buttons' you get put in isi

6. Vicious

Well take a look at this ( not really look ), in my school you must have your shirt always tucked in. You must always have your tie present. You cannot wear a color shirt under your white shirt or else they make you take it off.

Buttons??? It would have probably have that taken away and the school would have given me one of thiers. LOL

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Sounds like a simple matter of paying attention to me.

Do these kids look particularly upset?
    http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/ifmonline/ohdear.jpg
    http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~bhunter/babybrido01.JPG

Images courtesy of Lord Woodlouse and Brido of SB. And yes, those are pics of them as kids.

8. Zeffie the AI

Zeffie the AI New Member

no, they look like a school picture, where you're supposed to smile and pretend to look happy. the other looks like a picture taken at home where someone probably said 'say cheese' and the kid responded.

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Well frankly the majority of my friends and I went to a uniform school and nobody complained... in fact when they loosened the restrictions, Roman DIDN'T like it and kept wearing his uniform the old way (shirt tucked in). What do you have to say to that?

10. Miko

Miko New Member

some people may like the 'order' dresscodes establish, but others such as myself feel differently.

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

And why should we care about your clothing preference? We've established benefits of uniforms in addition to pointing out phenomana that occured when uniforms were removed (that being violence levels increasing). Now persuade us.

12. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Just out of curiousity, Neph, are you still talking about private schools? If so, I'll continue to stay out of this argument - Don't want another misunderstanding. :)

13. cowboy

cowboy New Member

last year no shorts(now that is stupid)
    this year no logos on shirts(r they insane)
    next year there already say'in no blue-jeans just kakies(sorry can't spell)(r they try'in to kill use). i agree that u r say'in that wear'in a cut-up shirt and holey jeans isn't appropreate but come on a shirt with a very small nikey check and the teachers will make u turn it in-side out and most school allows there students to where shorts that atlease have to come down past there knees but r school won't even let us wear that.

and don't let me forget that this fourm is not only about dress code,what about freedom of speech i know it's not right to curse at school,but the last time i told a teacher off at school because i was blamed for som'in i didn't do got me in-school.now come on is that fair :anger2:

14. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

I'll agree with that. Where I live, it gets close to 100 degrees F in the summer. Now, I can't speak for private school, but I know damn well that the public schools here are not air-conditioned very well. It's perfectly reasonable to say shorts must be a certain length, but to ban them altogether is silly. What do they expect the boys (and some of the girls) to do in hot weather, wear skirts?

Several years ago when I was in highschool, there was talk of banning all shirts with messages on them. This was very vague - they could have meant advertisements like brand logos (which I refuse to wear anyway, I'm not gonna PAY for a shirt to advertise for a company XD), or written messages, or images with a message. Personally, I feel that was a little bit silly, because it does remove a student's right to express a non-disruptive political view. This wasn't a private school, by the way - and so at the time I felt it wasn't right to tell me I couldn't wear half my wardrobe. On the other hand, some students do try to find disruptful shirts to wear, or come to school with shirts full of holes and tears. You wouldn't go to work dressed like that, why wear those clothes at school?

15. Zeffie the AI

Zeffie the AI New Member

finally, someone who understand. reading this thread, i thought no one besides miko understood how stupid these dress codes can be. at my school, we make jokes about what the school board is going to restrict next?underwear type and color?

16. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Dear posters:

Please learn how to spell, punctuate, and capitolize. Proper English grammar wouldn't hurt, either.

Thank you.

- Ark.

17. Vicious

I dont know whats to complain about. If everybody wheres the same clothes there wont be a reason for fashion contests. Whats the significance of wearing street clothes? "To feel comfortable." Thats a lie, you get used to it after a while.

18. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

personally i don't think our teachers care what we want ( dress code wise) if its not fit for school their not going to let you wear it. like people at my school get sent home for comeing in PJ pants. hello this is school. Students have right thats are always there. but freedom of spech isn't one of them you have to relize once you step on school grounds you play by their rules and the law that revolves around you safty.

i highly dount that going to another school with help with the dress co :sweat2: de its pretty much all the same. ( i've never heard of a school going against person were clothing of the religion.)

i talk alot

-- Captain

19. Miko

Miko New Member

they dont
    thats just their stupidity
    yes it does. i just moved from a district with really strict dress code to one with a much more lax one. let me tell you, the test scores are higher here, it helps.

20. Death Angel

Death Angel New Member

ok i no longer go to school but i remember what it was like...freedom of speach doesn't exist in school *would have been able to call one of the vice principals Dilbert without getting detention or worse* luckily my school didn't have a dress code...but i know how bad it feels to have one *spent a year in an institution where dress code was strict* there is no such thing as rights in school...it's all horse crap! and the teachers treat you like you aint even human! "sit down shutup and listen i know everything you know nothing" direct quote from a sub i had...that woman was like Hitler with boobs! i actually quit cause it got so bad!