Anime What is your favorite anime that isnt very popular or well known?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Sieghardt, Jun 11, 2003.

1. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

I heard that Wolf's rain isnt popular in Japan, but still its one of my favorite animes up till now.

WATCH IT!!!

2. *Sasami*

*Sasami* New Member

*My Fav Anime that is not very popular would have to be Zoids Chaotic Century:D*

*Sasami*

3. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

*cough* Don't forget us people down in South Asia... Just because we don't use chopsticks dosen't mean we don't live in Asia. :p

Escaflowne really isn't too popular. I love that anime... and save my dear earth was good, too. I bet no one has heard of that... not to mention my poor digimon, who were automatically put in teh crap pile since the title ended with "mon". WELL, I STILL love digimon. :p (The first/second season, anyway...)

4. Fushigi Rockna

Doraemon is actually EXTREMLY popular in Japan, the little dude even has his own stamp. *nods* Except it'll never come over here cause otaku will be like "EWWWW!!!! IT'S OLD!!!" or "EWWWW!!!!! IT'S A KIDS SHOW!!!" Stupid people.

Utena isn't very well known here (grrr.....)

Other than that i can't really seem to think...

5. Odin

Odin Member

I think Doraemon still has a chance to come over to the U.S.

Why?

Because Hana Yori Dango is going to be released over here. I never thought it'd happen. So now, to me, every anime has a chance.
    -Odin

6. Regina

Regina New Member

I don't believe it!!!

Well, actually I am not living in USA, but that's still good news because it means that a good-quality copy at least will be more available, because the one I watched was scary, especially first 12 eps.
    I love Rose of Versailles (as you probably see ~__^)
    Tokemeki Tonight, Lady Lady, Alpine Rose
    Sure I would like those if they're only were available to me!
    I also love "Brother Dear Brother" (Oniisama e...)
    Iga no Kabamaru
    What's this?..

7. Daisuke-kun

Daisuke-kun New Member

Angel Sanctuary is one of my fav animes. after that i would say groove adventures rave those are my fav animes that arent that well known :D

8. hatsuharufan

hatsuharufan New Member

Mine would probably be Futaba-kun Change. Its a lot like Ranma but no on seems to know about it.

9. Mao Mo Lin

Mao Mo Lin New Member

3x3 Eyes and Gunsmith Cats

10. Novus

Novus Gone

Samurai Pizza Cats!

11. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I can't believe how few people actually know the greatness that is City Hunter. And we're not talking some small series that debuted in Japan ages ago, we're talking a multi-series, long-running classic, here. Ryo Saeba is da man! A sweeper with the callsign of XYZ, he's a gun for hire with a weakness for good-looking women. :)

Moving down the semi-neglected line, Dragon Half isn't too well-known, but it is quite a hoot. 2 small OVA episodes worth it for anyone who revels in crazy-fantasy-comedies that constantly feature chibi scenes. :)

12. Novus

Novus Gone

City Hunter not well known? You're kidding me! Most of my friends have seen at least one episode or movie, at the very least! We have decided that a live-action movie should be made based on the series, with Jim Carrey playing the lead. It suits him perfectly. Of course, that'll never happen ...

13. Odin

Odin Member

Well, a live-action movie has been made based on City Hunter, starring Jackie Chan. It's freakin' HILARIOUS!
    -Odin

14. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Burn Up W and Burn Up Excess.Risky hilarity with a twist of action and fan service.:D Just the way I like it.

15. nightwarrior

nightwarrior New Member

cyber city,dual trouble parralel universe,melty lancer, bounty dog,cyber city oedo 808,super atrogon,cleopatra d.c

16. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

Tokyo Mew Mew! I absolutely love and no one's ever seen it...

Oh, and Risky Safety... I never actually saw the anime but it looks adorable!

17. Omnidragon

Omnidragon New Member

I just have to say this:

Doraemon is an ancient classic. It's hard to imagine that it's not well known, especially in the context of Asian countries. Look, let's forget about America etc. Most of the anime they ever see are over-priced shows at some rip-off marvel comic shop or the Cartoon Network gimmicks.

3X3, City Hunter and Detective Conan are also very old and well known.

Angel Sanctuary, still well known but perhaps less so. I never incest anyway.

And er... to answer the question my favourite, unknown anime is Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon and Digimon. wakatta?

18. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Not in the newer circles, at least. All the old anime gets overlooked by the newer crowd that's used to the newer, flashier stuff.

19. Novus

Novus Gone

How about Astro Boy? That's old, and none of the otaku I know have ever heard of it. It used to be on TV over here back in the 80's.

20. Odin

Odin Member

Osamu Tezuka is quite possibly one of the most underappreciated creators of anime in this day of age. Considering he pioneered the comics industry in Japan.

There is a gross and obscenely low percentage of "cultured" otaku, and it disgusts me how little some anime fans know about the genre they claim to love. Actually, I'm exaggerating there, but there are some things about today's generation of fans that do annoy me.

I can understand it if there are fans that are unfamiliar with works of anime that haven't been released or licensed in the United States, but there are so many that concentrate so much on the "new" stuff that the older works of anime are too often overlooked (given, these older works may not be necessarily good). Nadia, anybody? Or Guyver?
    -Odin