Debate Where are the real psychics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seraphinx, Nov 7, 2003.

1. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

I'm pretty sure that most people know what a psychic is, or just a rough idea. A real psychic has mysterious powers, such as clairvoyance, telepathy, or distorting magnetic fields, and some work with detectives to solve difficult crimes. Fake psychics are those ones on "Psychic Hotlines" that are sometimes advertised on tv, or con-artists who try to wow you with illusions then charge you thousands of bucks.

Then there are people you actually KNOW (or people that your friends know personally) who have abilities. My classmate once told us that her grandmother (and maybe her mom and sister) have the ability to see ghosts walking among the living (the "sixth sense"). I also have a friend (I'm not that good friends with her, but my other friends are close with her) whose sister also sees things that no one else can see. And one of my great grandfathers supposedly brought a woman back to life through supernatural means.

Do you think there really are psychics? Or are they all just clever magicians?

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Due to my own experiences, I know they exist.

Additionally, read "Where God Lives", among other books. Very interesting metaphysics studies in that book.

3. Fushigi Rockna

I believe in psychics.

Why?

because I'm partly one.

No seriously. I'm seriously a little psychic. it kidna runs in my family. My great grandma used to go to answer the phone before it even started ringing. She could predict when it was going to ring. o_O
    me, well, it's unintenional (like wiht my great grandma). i ahve no control over it. i'll predict and event a week or couple seconds before it happens and I'll usually be right.
    Like the main example i always use is one day a couple years ago in like grade 6. They were annoucing the winner of some contest at my school and i was thinking "Wouldn't be funny if [insert my name of my friend] won." and then, sure enough, she was the winner. i was really shocked by that (not just because that i had predicted it, but also because she wa sin my mind the most unlikly to win! :p I didn't even see the thing she did that amde her win). It happened a couple more times (like once a year or so).

So, yeah, I don't believe in those phony psychics that say they can see your future over the phone and stuff, REAL psychics can't predict stuff just like that, it happens unintenionally, a silly little thought or a sense that soemthing will happen. You also need, (I believe) a somewhat strong sixith sense.

4. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

Never heard of the laws of chance?

It happens to me occasionally, but then, how many times have you said something alongs those lines, and your friend didn't win?

Say your friend calls just after you think something about them.... but you probably think of your friends, and people in your lives, pretty commonly, and chances are they'll call sometime.

Happened to me pretty amusingly once. Pick up the phone, rang my friend, and the phone started ringing exactly as he picked up the phone to call me. I dialled, heard a click, paused, said "Hello?" and heard a scream from him as he threw the phone down. Good fun.

5. Zelgadis

Zelgadis New Member

With the little amount of the human brain being used, it is very possible that there are real psychics.

6. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

With me, it's kind of been the "Joseph" type psychic phenomenon. As in, I see messages in my own dreams. True, I have no idea what they mean until the event happens, but it has been surprizingly correct. I mean, creepily correct.

I also get deja vu often. Or is that just a glitch...:p

7. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

I don't know about psychics overall (I don't believe in them, but who the heck am I to say that they don't exist?), but I think just about everyone gets deja vu. From what I heard in my psychology class it's something of a brain playing a trick on itself by relating a similar situation to a specific one you had been thinking about earlier. So certain triggers like specific people standing in specific parts of a room or something can set off that 'woah, have I seen this before' feeling.

8. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

Well as I think I've stated somewhere before, I believe in many things and psychics, for the most part, I do. Of course, I don't believe like all those television people are real psychics and ****, Maybe low-key ones that don't advertise, but, y'know. I often have trippy events with deja vu and don't really recall them (sometimes) until what I say is like occurring. S'really strange (IE I had deja vu about something happening at my friends house while I was playing Fire Emblem, of course, being before I even knew Fire Emblem was to be released. That's just kinda ****ed).

9. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Now hold on... deja vu to me is not really a trick on the mind. In fact, whenever I get that feeling, it's not just a "feeling." A few seconds later I would think about it, and realize that I had dreamt that same EXACT event a few months earlier. (Yes, I can remember most of my dreams upon waking up, and a few times a year, a dream would end up coming true anywhere from 1-3 months afterwards.) So each time that happens to me, it's not really deja vu after all. It wasn't my mind playing tricks on me, it wasn't an event that was similar to a previous one, but just good old precognition (when you get a vision of something that will happen).

Baphijmm, I've never heard of that "Joseph" phenomenon. In what form do those messages come in? In my dreams, my precognitions are simply the exact thing I will see in the future.

10. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

so what happens when say, with deja vu, it happens 3 times with the same event? as i've had happen before. same damn thing, 3 or 4 times. only ever had one predicting dream. i can make stop lights change, or at least know when they will. but that's also a sense of timing. or maybe my cousin wasn't crazy and we are special in that side of the family(we are, just in the crazy kinda way)

11. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

Well i have a slight answer to where they are & then my reason, answer first; where are they?

I doubt they would reveil themselves for then they would be plagued (I havent needed to spell that word before... meh[berry-got it]) by hundreds of people constantly asking for answer concerning there future... some would be genuine pleads for help with say lost people etc, yet most will be for lottery numbers, is it pointless getting out of bed tommorow blah blah blah. so they would keep themselves to themselves i would say.

Now my reason;

Awhile back i observed my friend going on a... wadaya call it... spiritual/mystic/hippy type chat room & proclaimed the ability to predict how people die... they wish they didn't for people kept asking about their sick relatives, grannies etc... he logged off it quickly.

12. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

The reason I called it the "Joseph" phenomenon is because most of the time, my dream is in symbols, and I must interpret it. Like this one time, in one dream, I was wandering through a desert with a lot of ruins. It reminded me of Egypt at the time, but the architecture was more Mesopotamian (yes, freako right here :p). Well, the scary thing is, I'm currently in the desert, which at the time of the dream, I had no idea would be happening. I have also passed by many "ruins" of buildings. I also entered a Coliseum, upon which the scenery changed to a lush football field. I believe this symbolizes my return to my home over the summer. Just an example. Though, I once dreamt of seeing the inside of the Eaton Mall in Toronto when I was really young, and didn't know it existed until I was 17. The inside was exactly as my dream had mapped it out. :dizzy2:

13. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

i believe in different kinds of abilities like my moms dreams of people dieing and then some time later it happens
    :(

like for example my mom and i were in the car one day and there was this really cute little boy no older 5 or 6 and he didn't have on a seat belt. my mom said to his mother " that sure is a cute little boy it would be better if he had on a seat belt.(were sitting at a red light.) because you can never know what will happen from this red light to the next"
    so the light turns green and we pull off but the car with the little boy pulled off first.
    ( the lady still didn't make her son put of a seat belt.)
    as soon as the pulled of a car runs the red light and hits them and the lady in the car with the little boy is like pointing at my mom saying " oh my god oh my god oh my god". we just kept going my mom winked at her.

i still wounder how much my mom dose in fact know about me :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

she sees things like that every once in a while its kind of scary.

14. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

i believe that psychics are real. There may be many psychics out there just at different levels and may not know they have a power.

There comes the topic that your brain only uses 10% of its full potential at a time. But the question would be what would happen if you were able to use 100% of it at the same time? No one is for sure on what would happen. . . . geniouses use aporox. 30% of their brain power at a time. . . . .so the theories would be;
    1. If you used all your brain power or an unnormal amount, you could do supernatural things, such as PK ect.

2. If you used too much of your brain power you could go into shock. you brain could not keep up, can not prosses all that information at the same time.

Somtimes i think i get either psychic predictions, or just extremly good hunches. I dont really know. Its almost like i get really good guesses. weeks, minutes or months ahead. I dont like picture things in my head i just know it. Like you may know your multiplication tables, i know whats going to happen, but uncontrolled, just luck. *shrugs*

But i think anythings possible, its just one of those unexplaned things that we never may know. . . .

15. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Alright, alright, time to shoot a bad horse.

You do not use only 10% of your brain.

You use 10% at once, as opposed to using 100% of it at once. Different sections, different functions. Sort of like how you don't use 100% of your muscles at once...

16. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Uh hum. . . . .i did say that. . . . . and i qoute myself. . .

17. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Even if we could only use 10% of our brains potential at a certain time how can you be sure that if a person were able to use more than 10% at a time then they would have paranormal abilities? Seems like argument from ignorance to me @_@ Just because a person sees lights in the sky which they can't explain does not exactly mean that those lights are UFOs(edit: aliens then ;))...

Check out http://www.csicop.org/si/9903/ten-percent-myth.html

Michael Persinger in his research found something I find interesting; the perceptions from ESP are caused by a type of epilepsy in the lobe of the brain. I'm not exactly sure what that proves but the temporal lobe is involved in memory, perception and emotion.. and also the auditory cortex is part of this.. so that may explain them hearing someone talking to them.

J.B. Rhine also performed experiments using Zener cards, and discovered people who couldactually predict which card he was holding. Rhine actually believed that he proved the existence of ESP but his experiments were never able to be replicated by other researchers(which is a huge part of proving a theory).

Although none of this actually proves that it does not exist either because as some people have said here there are Deja Vu's. And most likey many other reasons for people to believe that it exists.. Although sometimes when we want things to exist we perceive them that way.

18. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Then where did you get your "geniuses use 30% of the brain at one time" figure from? I think you're full of it.

19. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i think to proove there are psychics i think you'd have to have some pretty solid evidence, something more than just "i think the phones about to ring". to call things that small phychic is really clutching at straws.
    and as that guy said, just because human's aren't supposed to use all their brain power, doesn't mean much, it's most likely that the parts we don't use are the insignificant ones. Somepeople can control the muscles in their ears and toes, while others can't. this is because theirs no need for it.

in my opinion if there really were phychics, then like so called 'hypnotists', logically they'd all be rich and famous. If someone could actually hypnotise people, then wouldn't all the world leaders be hypnotists?

20. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Assuming psychic ability can be used at will, can "target" what it "sees", is always 100% accurate, normal people do not revile those with psychic ability and the talent is used to further those ends you describe, then possibly.

And therein lies the flaw in your argument: you need to assume a lot of variables which simply can't be calculated. You say "logically" they would be rich and famous but theres little logical in your theory in actuality - it is a generalization and slippery slope.

Hypnotism isn't like in a cartoon where you spin an optical illusion and gain control over everyone.:rolleyes: Your audience actually has to willingly give themselves over, and even when hypnotised a person knows what they're doing and can break out if they will strongly enough. Hell, if somebody tries to hypnotise you and you are chewing gum it won't work because they aren't your only focus.

EDIT: And, That Guy, the temporal lobe issue you were discussing in your post also controls religious experiences. Now while it's true that some religious experiences could be the result of what is essentially a temporary brain dysfunction, do you feel that they totally invalidate all of them?