Debate Where are the real psychics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seraphinx, Nov 7, 2003.

1. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

As far as the whole divination vs. prophecy thing goes:

fore·teller n.
    Synonyms: foretell, augur, divine, prophesy, vaticinate
    These verbs mean to tell about something beforehand by or as if by supernatural means: foretelling the future; augured a scandal; divined the enemy's victory; prophesying a stock-market boom; atrocities vaticinated by the antifascists. See also synonyms at predict

I see no difference! According to the above from dictionary.com, divination and prophecy are the same thing. Divination and prophecy both involve predicting something through supernatural means, not necessarily through God. So psychics are essentially prophets according to this definition.

2. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

Ah, the thing is there are so many phonies...
    Ever hear of "Miss Cleo?" yes well, that Jamaican faker was sued in 7 states for fraud. (And of course, her "hotline" doesn't exist anymore.)

Also the "pet psychic" is totally acting. She looks at a hamster and in 3 seconds states "He tells me he once had a beloved green bottle." Hahaha... but honestly she's a fake too. I think there ARE psychics out there, but those ones on TV are just out to make money: scammers.
    Sixth Sense DOES exist, because I have it and so does many people I know. Think I'm crazy? Fine... but I don't really count that as psychic though.
    Anyways I think the real psychics are blessed... if they truly has power they wouldn't be on paid TV, 2-o-clock in the morning, in a robe and crystal ball.

3. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

Jumping in once more...

A couple of days ago, seeing as i am unemployeed i watched some day time tv :sad: ... flicking through channels & came upon a psychic programme. I watched some old dotty woman say that her Invisionments/predictions/"hocuspokus"( :anime: ), came from messages sent to her from angels (Good kind... not the fallen)... now i know she may be a false fortune teller (Dont even know why i put "May" in there *Shrugs*) but what the hell... might as well throw this in :sweat2:

4. Lady Shadow-san

Lady Shadow-san New Member

I hate to sound like a total loon here, but I believe everyone has psychic powers.

Yes, even me.

I have an eerie way of knowing what is going to happen... I remember in the sixth grade, I dreamt of sitting on the jungle gym, playing with my hair clip and having it break in my hands.

Guess what happened next morning.

Even to this day, I know something is going to happen and I know what people are going to say a good chunk of the time...

However, Miss Cleo and all those other psychics are just out to drain money.

5. FF_Freak_Dobio

FF_Freak_Dobio New Member

Lady San, that's something called "Deja Vu"

Feel free to read the article within the link.

Although, I agree, yes, it is possible to see the future, most of the time it's very vague, and the way psychics do it is by making you tell your own future.

For example, most of their questions are very vague, and since the person is so eager to believe that they can tell the future, they take very little things, that, in a normal situation, would be nowhere near telling the future, and make it into some huge wonderful conspiracy.

For example, they say, 'You collect something..." and suddenly, they've told you that you collect stamps. Yet, it's common knowledge that the majority of people collect something, so it's a risk the psychic takes.

Although, TV Psychics are totally different. There was an interesting documentary on TV Psychics, which basically showed how they did everything. It turns out that they actually pre-pick who they are going to do a psychic reading on, by using addresses on the ticket listings. They then send someone over there, to do some basic research, on things that normally wouldn't be so obvious. (Such as collections, etc...)

Then, the psychic is told who to pick out of the audience, and they then proceed to totally fool the person into thinking that they are some all knowing person.

People buy it, only when they are open to believing. My mom once went to a psychic, and she was told she was going to marry someone tall and dark. (Hello! How many tall and dark people are there out there, who are eligible bachelors?)

It's foolish how vague some of these people are.

Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent, so, in closing, I'm just saying that I don't believe that there is such thing as a reliable psychic, but they are interesting to use as an entertainment source, but I definitely wouldn't plan my life around something they say.

6. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

I think the deja vu that normal people experience, really is just a trick on the mind as that link implied. But for other people who know how to remember their dreams upon waking, and then later on finding them to come true exactly as how the dream portrayed, those aren't deja vu experiences at all.

For everyone interested in controlling/remembering their dreams, having a dream log is a good practice. (A diary or book where you write what you dreamed of as soon as you wake up.) Some psychics (or near-psychics) probably have one, especially if they have visions in their dreams, or precognitive dreams as some of us do. I don't have a dream log, but once in a while I do write or type out a dream, or tell someone about it in an email. Also, you can use it in the future as proof that you dreamt something before it happened!