Recreation who took my name!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mamiya0taru, Sep 2, 2001.

1. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I'm sure it has something to do with the food, just not sure what the tie in is exactly. Hang on, google search coming...

ok: http://web.mit.edu/network/spam/ explains a bit about it, how Spam is a meat, that has come to mean email flooding but it doesn't really say why..

http://www.web-d.com/spam/ does a little better. It links our perception of Spam as being of little nutritional value with the crap that is usually in electronic spam.

My favorite was http://info.theriver.com/TheRiver/help/spam.htm a couple theories, including one having to do with Monty Python. Read on.
    ------------------
    spam on bread

2. YokoburiKinura

*malicious bump*

MuaHAHAHAHAHA!

I can kill, and I can bring back to life!

BTW, the second link isn't there anymore, but there first one looks informative.

3. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I saw a SPAM cookbook in town there the other day.
    Man, what a malicious bump...

4. Energizer Bunny

Energizer Bunny i wuv you

i always believed it was the second reason in the third link heehee basically most of the world hates spam and most of the internet world hates completely pointless or off-topic posts/emails and such so yeah thats always been my theory although the monty python one is good too lol...

5. MamiyaOtaru

YK, you have officially come back with a vengeance. This might be the first time a lot of members have seen a post by an unregistered member(s).

Those were the days of somewhat clever sigs.. believe me they all have a meaning, sometimes even a double one. They're just really obscure. honest :D What a riot.. and a classic example of howling. Someday I'll explain that term.

6. YokoburiKinura

Oh, yeah! I saw that sketch only a couple of weeks ago (if it weren't for BBC America, I wouldn't watch nearly so much TV) and at the time I didn't even think about it in this context. But it makes perfect sense now! That's really funny!

This thread brings back some good nostalgia for me, too.

(shameless attempt to get free unelectronic cookie) 'Howling' is what happens to a person who shows up and says something a group of established people on the forum don't necessarily like. That group proceeds to scream at, insult, humiliate, denigrate, attack, and throw feces at the person, sometimes driving them off the board altogether. In short, it's when one person gets ganged up on by a big, vocal group. The term comes from howler monkies. If any of you find the example of howling in this thread, please let me know.

So, was that good enough? Huh? Huh? Huh?

---------------
    Reality is a hologram

7. MamiyaOtaru

You have to give people incentive to answer stuff like that :) like a cookie, which yes, you earned. Excellent description of howling. If only it was used more often ;)

Now, to let this thread sink into obscurity before people see how many frivolous posts I made back in the day haha

8. YokoburiKinura

Yeah, it'd probably be just as well.