Saber Marionette Why SM is special to you

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Sachiko, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

I want to know, why is Saber Marionette special to you? As all of you can tell, I love Saber Marionette very very much. And I wanna know why you all like it too. Is it because of the humor? the touching plot? the characters? or the messages they give out in the anime? Wut is ur answer?

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I love it as well. When I started watching it, it was very funny to me. I loved the way it progressed. Later in the series, as the whole larger plot began to unfold, it added another layer to it all, and that i what impressed me most. It had a plot, and at the end even succeeded in making me (the tiniest bit :D ) emotional.

Laugh, cry, be surprised, i did it all to me.

3. Lime

Lime Claude ish MY honey ^.^

I would defiently say...all of the above. It was touching, sweet, the humor was great, and the plot was so well done. When I first saw it, I knew for a fact, that is going to be my anime :D

4. Sachiko

As for me,

I really loved Saber Marionette because of the messages they have from the plot. The "maiden circuits" are basically the marionettes' "hearts". As the story reveals more and more of their maturity, it really talks about "hearts". Remember how Lime doesn't want a heart because it hurts? Then later in JtoX, she WANTS to become human so that she could understand human's pain. That point, I really loved how Saber Marionette goes deep into a heart. There were other parts that has to do with "hearts" too, and they reveal messages of a woman's heart, what makes us humans and special because we are. Saber Marionette really made me thought of another perspective of life.

This wonderful series includes, like the DVD boxes said, PART-COMEDY, PART-LOVE, and ALL-ACTION! I love the humors in there that cracks me up. And I love the touching parts, even if it isn't romance, that made me go into a bunch of tears. I really like the unique and wonderful characters too. Besides, it isn't your literal fighting-the-forces-of-evil anime ;)

5. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

well...

SMJ is one of my favorite series because I think it's a literary theorist's dream come true! As an English major who has had to write scores of papers on the representations of gender and sexuality in literature and film, all of my (unwilling) training instantly popped into my mind as I watched SMJ. Essentially last semester (before I became an intern and moved half a world away) I took a class called "The Victorian Machine" which was about machines in victorian literature and their representation. I was becoming an SMJ fan at the same time, so naturally a lot of what I learned in that class was easily applied to what I saw on the screen. Essentially, Victorian literature (and SteamPunk works such as the novels of William Gibson) often dealt with the question of what made machinery different from humanity. And several of the works examine how women were often viewed as mechanicals... much like the girls in SMJ! I also like how SMJ subverts traditional gender and sex rolls (these women hardly need to be rescued! And as for the wonder known as Hanagata Mitsurugi... I have seriously thought of writing an essay about him if I'm ever called upon to analyze gay and lesbian issues and representations in film again. I may just do so independantly as it is ^_~).

Okay now that I've bored you all...

I also like SMJ because it's funny while being deep. While I do not agree with it's portrayal and explaination of human evil, I certainly admire it's innocent outlook on life, and just the great love that the world of the show seems to be made of. The Christian in me likes how the show seems to touch (I'm sure inadvertently) on a Christian and possibly even Catholic outlook (I've noticed a lot of Christians like SMJ for the same reason too, such as RickG who wrote the fic "Bloodberry Finds Her Soul"). The writer in me admires the excellent writing, the tasteful humor, and the well-developed characters. And the pervert in me admires Hanagata and his special item!!

*smacks self*

Okay so we all knew that, ad nauseum.

So those are my strange reasons for adoring this show.

~ Lady Aoi

6. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

*eyes sparkle and take on a faraway look*

Yes it is indeed true that I have fallen in love with SMJ. I guess it behooves me to explain to you how I could be so smitten with one particular series,ne?:D :sweat2:

Anyway, I love SMJ for three main reasons. First of all, I absolutely love the characters (especially a certain blue-haired marionette with a fruity name:D :bleed2: ). They are beautifully done,and they are all well developed,especially once you get into the heart of J to X. Even Hana-ko gets significant screen time in J to X and exhibits a touching side to him that you wouldn't expect from the series' human punching bag.

Secondly, I love the humor content in the J continuum (just six doors down from a certain ST:NG continuum :D :sweat2: ). Though it can get a little bit like the Three Stooges at times, the rest is just what you'd expect from a top-notch romantic comedy anime series.

Finally, the Japanese voice acting in the series was absolutely perfect. The voice actors/actresses really fit their roles superbly,and always had the proper tone for the situation, unlike certain dub voice acting, which would often present a mood completely opposite from the intended mood (e.g., Lime being excited when she should've been surprised/scared) or otherwise inappropriate for the situation (e.g., Otaru sounding bored out of his skull when commenting about the weather in ep. 1 of SMJ).

Okay,I'm finished boring you out of your skulls with my reasons for enjoying SMJ,J Again,and J to X.

InuYasha - this may be his longest post yet...

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Of course, when I say 'you'. I mean 'me'...I write funny that way sometimes...

EMOTION.

That's the first thing that hits on screen for the J series, as the company behind it's original release. But it's more than that since fits the theme so well!

And that's the big catch with SMJ. Emotion. The series is able to not only convey an original storyline, but also succeeds at making you laugh, making you cry, or making you mad unlike anything else ever could.

As my previous posting of my first encounter showed, SMJ hit me on all levels. What seemed like a simple joke of a plot expanded to encompass a larger storyline - giving it not only a bait hook to reel you in at first, but something worthwhile afterwards to keep you there.

Emotion. I started tuning in because it made me laugh so hard, I almost forget what breathing felt like. But alongside that, it dropped hints of where it was going. Clues that I didn't grasp until I realized that the story had snuck up on me and there was no turning back.

Marionettes, Otome Kairo, and Woman's Rebirth. And admist it all, a Tyrant set on conquering the world. Action, Humor, Suspense. Believable characters whom you could identify with, machines that acted almost more human than some of the others...

Emotion. Tears. Yes, I admit that on first viewing, I couldn't hold some of them back. You are a part of it all, you feel what they feel.

Emotion. The bottom line. Saber Marionette J isn't just an anime. It's an experience.

And that's all Baka has to say about that...

1 person likes this.
  8. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

For once I'm not the one giving the excessively long posts ... anyway ...

It was Saber Marionette J that actually initiated my conversion to otakuhood (is that a word? Well, it is now ...). Before that, I'd watch an anime and say that it was good and all that, but I wouldn't really care that it was anime: it was just run-of-the-mill animation to me. SMJ turned me back from the Dark Side (either that or turned me to it, but that depends on your outlook).

9. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

SMJ is really special in my heart :bleed:

It was great the first time when I watched SMJ because I was more or less depressed at the time and it just cheered me up, and it still cheers me up whenever I watch it :) Lime is just hillarious!!! It was also one of the first anime's that I have seen too and I'm really glad that Seraphim got me into anime through it ^_^ I'm glad that I was introduced to it also... or else I'd be one of those dudes that think they know everything about anime because they've seen DBZ @_@x

I like it for the same reason on the Christian perspective that Lady Aoi talked about :) I also like how they show that even an evil person, like Faust has compassion and good in him.

10. Sachiko

WOW! These are soooooo wonderful answers. I love reading them :anime:

Yes, I also really agree on the "Christian perspective". While most anime doesn't carry this message, SMJ has it.

Echiko and I are making a big SMJ dedication site. We're going to maybe have a page about this thread: "Why SM is special to you?" May I use your answers? I just want to get your permissions first ^_^

11. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Well, I didn't say much, so you get the okay from me.

"I may not say much, but I say what I see."
    -DM-

12. Lady Aoi

And then of course...

Hanagata rocks my world. I just adore him.

*worships madly*

~ Lady Aoi

13. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

You have my permission; though I flatter myself thinking you would use them :)

I have enjoyed what everyone has had to say about SMJ. Thank you for sharing :D

14. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Sure, you've got mine as well!

I've got nothing to hide...:)

BakaMattSu, still refusing to use any of the new smilies...

15. Lady Aoi

And mine as well ^_^v.

~ Lady Aoi

16. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

Sure,go ahead. I don't know if it'll add any value to your site,though...

InuYasha - his response seems kinda....frumpy

17. Sachiko

Oh thank you ALL of you!!!

The reason is because I want our site to not only gonna be a media, but I also want to put other people's opinions of SMJ on so others will know how much SMJ is worth! Besides, cuz part of the reason is because I'm argueing with my friends of which anime's the kewlest! :sweat:

18. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Does that question even need asking? :D

BakaMattSu, obsessive...

19. Echiko

Echiko New Member

*pat BakaMattsu* True true...I do wonder Sachiko why...SABER MARIONETTE IS obviously the KEWLest!

YESSSS!!!! EXCELLENT ANSWERS!!!! ALL OF YOU!!! I LoVE these answers!

20. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

[EXTREME SARCASM MODE ON! :sweat:]
    No! It's Digimon!
    [EXTREME SARCASM MODE OFF! :dizzy2:]

:anger2: I can't believe I just said that ... even in jest ... time for the hara-kiri again, I guess ...