Saber Marionette Why SM is special to you

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Sachiko, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

LOL!!!

SABER MARIONETTE ALL THE WAY!!!!!

2. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

It's on our site, this thread. Now people shall see how much SMJ is worth ^_~

3. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

^______^ c00l! Although I have noticed something. I have the misfortune of being very long winded -_-;.

~ Lady Aoi: Who talks more, Hanagata or me?

4. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

This is not original but I wanted to post it also here. Was written by me anyways :p

I've started to watch SM more or less a year ago. Starting with Load #20 of SMJ. Just watching the will of Lime for staying with Otaru made me start to look more deeply. I'm not a big anime fan. But this is not ordinary anime. It has many funny moments, but also many and very serious and deep ones. Watching Lime discover the whereabouts of Life, Cherry and her romantic thoughts (and her good cooking) and Bloodberry and her cheeky character (I hope I'm not tranlating bad cheeky) is about why I got so hooked with SMJ. But everything goes full foward better in J to X. There Otaru stops to teach and now the marionettes start to do it. In these latter series I saw a lot of things that sadly I don't see in actual humans, sometimes.

It could turn to be another dark story, because there is an unwritten law that tells that stories with automats with feelings have to be like that, but the author taught that it could be another thing, and still it could be fun, and touching at the same time. At the end of J to X you'll learn why Lime says that she already understood what means to be a human being, and perhaps you'll love to see her then as, well, ok for now, I don't want to write spoilers :).

It's a great series, and I think (my very personal opinion) that it's some kind of an Evangelion, but for good. Some machines get a soul at last, but not a big deal of technology is really needed. Just a young man with a lot of love within his heart. And three fruit salad ladies. And here there's no lack of love like in Anno's (also) wonderful
    masterpiece. Hope to not being boring with my loong speech.

Thanks Sachiko and Echiko for posting it on your website!

SaberMMedia

Day in, day out, like a puppet on a string,
    wandering the void between zero and infinity...
    The strength to sever the tangled strings
    still sleeps within your heart.

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

well...
    1 Good Animation
    2 Superb plot
    3 touching parts
    4 many humor parts -thanks Hana-chan
    5 cute Lime
    6 cherry ^_^
    7 Bloodberry...

I like everything about the SM series, except for thr R and Z sagas...

the only thing I hate is that CARTTON NETWORK nor other networks, besides Locomotion, haven't aired this show,
    but they air "bad" shows like DBZ which only have violence, or mostly is violence, or stupid kiddy shows *cough* pokemon *cough*

6. bokulimedayou

bokulimedayou New Member

Well I haven't seen all the episodes I do have one dvd(they cost 45 bucks give me a break) and I love it! My favorite character so far is Bloodberry for humor, Cherry for design and Lime and Hannie-chan together as humor. To tell the truth I thought I'd hate it so I bought the first manga to make sure. The only reason I wanted it so bad was because my favorite seiyuu Hayashibara Megumi did the voice of Lime. I think Hangagata needs to be killed..but he's bound to be killed sometime soon with all his bad luck! Really I tresure it because its kawaii, funny, full of action, great characters and designs pretty much my favorite anime rivaled only by Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon buy hey it was my first anime.

7. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

bokulimedayou, In behalf of most of us, well tecnically all of us, I greet you to the best SMJ forum on earth... have a great time.

and hanagata exist for comic relief... LOL SMJ wouldn't be SMJ without him.

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

A lot of us have a far lower opinion of the manga form of SMJ...it seems geared so much more towards a different target audience than the anime.

Heh, Hanagata. I had the sympathy/hate cycle for him until I was used to his appearances. SaberJ2X is right. Wouldn't be the same without Hannie.

9. C-chan

C-chan New Member

I rather liked SMJ (and J to X, for that matter). It's a fun anime, and also one of the more under-rated ones. The problem is that a.) it's not hyped enough, and b.) it's not that catchy at first glance, hence it doesn't easily draw crowds. But it does have a surpising amount of depth in it despite it being mostly a fun romp. Others have pointed out that the series is filled with a lot of emotion, philosophical and moral issues, as well as having a somewhat spiritual aspect to it. But one doesn't really need to look deeper to enjoy it. It's that fun.

What truly carries the series are the characters. Charater inter-relations and character development are in full gear for this series. As each episode progresses, you get to see the characters grow as they experience more. This is most particularly evident among the marionettes, even the enemies. As they learn more and feel more, the show challenges the entire concept of what makes one human. Is it just flesh and blood? Or that intangible concept called a soul? For that matter, what is as soul? The further you get into the series, the more you come to like the characters, and you sympathize with them. One of the most heartbreaking moments of the series (indeed, of any anime) is the part where Lime breaks down and commits suicide (technically, at least. She does revive again, after all) because the pain of her emotions is too much for her to handle. No longer is she just another "robot"... indeed, with the intensity of her emotions, she become more "human" than those born of flesh and blood. Lime becomes real.

On a side note, I kinda got pulled into this forum through an off-hand sig request by SaberJ2X. I was looking for suitable pics to use for a sig. ^_^ Well, I didn't find them here(or rather, I found them elsewhere), but coming here wasn't a total loss. Anyway, I got the sig, and SaberJ2X, if you want to use it, just PM me or something. I'll be using it as sig for the next week (so you can see it) or until you claim it. I'll stop using it once you do, of course. ^_^

[Note: If you don't claim it, then the sig goes up for grabs again. Anyone else who wants one of my pre-made sigs can go the the Signature Art Thread in the Art/Design forum and claim them there. Sig requests can only be made through either private message or through the Request Thread (it's not the same as the sig art one) on the same forum.]

1 person likes this.
  10. lokilon

lokilon New Member

because it is so good and i love the plot
    :D

11. Altor22

Altor22 New Member

SM is special to me because...

The story, the characters, the music, and the profound moral and social underpinnings conspire to resonate with my soul at every viewing.

Ultimately, SMJ (to be specific) is special to me because it is a wonderful story about authentic love. In North America, I find that we are bombarded with cliched stories about romantic love...hard bodies finding other hard bodies to slap against, love at first sight, sinking boats and rising passions, etc. And yet, SMJ presents a story of how authentic love (through the good and the bad) ultimately redeems humanity. The ending of SMJ isn't necessarily happy (before the end credits); however, the scope and depth of the love between the protagonists allows others to discover authentic love for themselves. And in the end...SMJ leaves us with a lesson that takes a lifetime to learn in some cases: True love is unconditional and let's go.

I especially love the way SMJ is really, in my opinion, a social commentary on the evolving social dynamics that have taken place between men and women in the last century. For quite a few centuries, women were socially and legally regarded as non-persons. (marionettes) Yet, through the efforts of open minded individuals (of both genders), women were finally accepted as the equal partners they deserve to be.
    Otaru represents the open-minded male in the SMJ universe. The man who is self-assured to be himself without subjecating women to his own demands or expectations...and Lime, Bloodberry, and Cherry represent the various facets of women that had been repressed in society until now.
    Ultimately, the men of Terra II are only able to experience "whole women" once they drop their preconcieved notions and expectations of what women should be and should do.

1 person likes this.
  12. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Well then Altor22, let me be the first to welcome you to boards.jp! I hope you enjoy being here as much as we do! Have fun posting!

Anyway, Saber Marionette J. There is only one word that can properly describe it. Perfect. As many of you know already, this series holds a special place in my heart that nothing else will ever occupy. It is very special to me for many reasons.

Saber Marionette J was the first anime series I watched and recognized as anime. I had seen others, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Galaxy Express 999, but, I hadn't realized they were anime until after I had foundthis gem.

No other series touched my heart the way Saber Marionette J did. When I saw the ending, I honestly cried. By that time, I had already fallen in love with those three angels, Lime, Cherry, and Bloodberry. Because of this, I was heartbroken to see them
    go on their suicide mission to save all of Terra II.

After I had gotten over the pain of the ending, I watched it again. It had just as strong, if not a greater effect on me than the first time. Soon after, I recieved Saber Marionette J Again and J to X. I was so happy to be able to see more of them, that I watched them immediately. While J Again was a bit on the fluffy side, I enjoyed it nonetheless.

As for J to X, I never expected any of it. The first part with Evil Faust, the second half in Xi'an, none of it.
    When the girls lost their memories, I remember fierce hatred for Hess, and Yan Min, for what they did. Then sadness. I was on the verge of tears through most of the second half. When they left on their second suicide mission, one they could not return from, I... I was so depressed. I could barely concentrate on anything else. Again I cried.

Anyway, after watching the whole thing several times, I started thinking. Most of the series had us asking, who would Otaru choose? Which of the three would he have as his bride? I asked myself, who would I choose? Eventually, I came up with an answer: Cherry. I realized that she was, in fact, the one for me. I love everything about her. Her kindness, her sincerity, her intelligence, personality, everything.

At the beginning, I used a point system to rank anime. Saber Marionette was first with about 800 points, Slayers second with about 300, and so on. After a while, I had to stop using that system, because Saber Marionette J had inexplicably risen to 6,000,000 or more!

Anyway, my throat... er, fingers hurt from typing this much, so I'll cut off my singing... er, typing the praises of Saber Marionette J here, and let someone else take over for me. If you check out my first post, here, you can find more on this.

Aside: Holy crap! I was typing this so long the system thought I was offline!

13. Altor22

Altor22 New Member

Thank you for not going into too much detail about J to X. I have yet to view the entire series.

For those who have seen J to X, would you say it is as special than J? even more so?

14. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

You know, that's a tough one. I view the whole thing as being perfect. I don't know what the others think, but personally, I prefer J to X. I won't go into too much detail since you haven't seen it, but, it is more emotional, more dramatic, etc. and despite the heartache, I find myself prefering to watch it. How about the rest of you guys? You can't just ignore a revived thread! (Well, you can, but it's not nice)

15. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

I've only seen SMJ, but I can say from that that the Saber Marionette series is wonderful. I love how it keeps you wondering about the marionettes and how they can be human-like, keeps you guessing about what the end will be like, and then it slowly reveals the plot to you in such a way that sucks you in for an emotional roller coaster ride. I don't think I've seen any other anime series that has touched my heart the way SMJ has. It's that special.

16. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

:eek: WHAT!? You haven't seen JAgain or JtoX?

No, it can't be!! *faints*

17. Black Robed One

Black Robed One New Member

Actually, I hope to help Gata-san with this soon enough, Luvweaver-san. ;)

18. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Wanna help me too? ;)

I've been stuck at ep 10 of j2x forever.. It's so hard not to read spoilers hehe. Thank you all for being discrete.

19. Black Robed One

Black Robed One New Member

Sure thing! But I would like to complete a delivery for Gata-san first. I'll drop you a PM after this will be done, MamiyaOtaru-san.

20. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

SMJ is special to me because it was one of the funniest anime that I've ever seen. This whole Hanagata getting his butt kicked for no reason (even though I really feel sorry for him), and how BloodBerry and Cherry fight over Otaru while Lime has no idea whats going on, specially in the marriage part, that cracked me up xD