Inu-Yasha A Question for the Anti-Kikyo...

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Star Princess, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Muse

Muse New Member

I'll admit that attempting to take inuyasha to hell with her after knowing what naraku had done was pathetic, and it lowered my opinion of her... but she's still one of the faves.

I actually wrote an essay on her in school. :D it wasn't bad either, got an A, thanks to Kikyou!!!

2. Star Princess

Star Princess Haters are retarded.

I can't believe this! There is absolutely NO WAY I can reason with you people! I can't make you change your opinions, or course, but you guys never stop to think about what lead Kikyo to her present state. When she was alive, she was human, had human emotions. It wasn't her fault she fell in love with Inu-Yasha. THAT'S A NORMAL HUMAN EMOTION! She was suppose to protect her village, yes, but once again, she couldn't help it. When she was wounded by Naraku, he disguised himself as Inu-Yasha-believing that her love had betrayed her and then died.
    As for her being brought back, Kikyo did NOT choose to be brought back, AND her clay body was made by an EVIL ogress, thus hints that evil energy entered Kikyo. I agree about her taking Inu-Yasha to hell was a bit much, but Kagome saved him didn't she?
    So, instead of feeling bloody hatred for Kikyo, and throwing intense temper tantrums everytime we see her, we should feel sorry for her instead. That's how I feel. How can you guys be so cruel? Nothing you say can change how I feel! GET OVER IT! IT'S NOT KIKYO'S FAULT SHE WAS BROUGHT BACK!!!:mad:

3. Muse

Muse New Member

]

Way ahead of ya. :D

4. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos New Member

I dont like the semi-dead kikyo. She creeps me out!

5. Muse

Muse New Member

She depresses me, she's way too sad. I know that's her character and everything, but still, I have to watch something happy after seeing Kikyou, she's still really kewl tho.

6. Zero Enna

Zero Enna New Member

Hey! Kikyou is very VERY annoying... come on she always interupts Inuyasha when he droping his gaurd and ACTUALLY telling Kagome his problems. AND im surprised that she never interupted on episode 48...

We are not cruel, and i really don't mean to be rude but whenever someone says Kikyou I kill *well not really*

7. UmiRyuuzaki45

UmiRyuuzaki45 New Member

for me, personally, I don't know which one I hate. sometimes I hate her and sometimes I pity her. But then I realize i'm pitying her I hate her more. Anyway I don't like her 'cause she's getting in the way of a majorly great relationship. I think she's coming to terms though. She was kinda acting strange when Kagome helped her heal from Naraku's Miasma. You know, she was trying to help, instead of kill. Maybe she'll move on soon. I hope so. ANd I hope she doesn't go to hell, that would be to bad for her. Still hate her though. Aren't I fickle?

8. Muse

Muse New Member

I'm really starting to become attatched to her. It's probably out of pity though, but I used to hate her with a passion. I really don't mind her too too much, note that I said too too much, meaning I do mind her a bit... I mean, its just not courteous to take people to hell, ya know? Bad manners.:D

9. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I still hate her and i would never feel sorry for her. thats just the way i am

10. Kagome_rocks009

Kagome_rocks009 New Member

Personally, I've learned that "having pity for someone is a waste of energy. Feeling sorry for ourselves is even worse." You get what I'm talking about, right? Though, I did feel a little sad for Kikyo at first and I didn't hate her, even when she tried to take Inuyasha-kun down to hell with her. See, even when she did THAT, I didn't loathe her as much as I do. It's just that at the end of the Jinenji episode, it was so beautiful between Inu-kun and Kagome. So I got a very tiny bit annoyed with Kikyo in the next episode, but I didn't want to hate her. Once she admitted that she tried to kill Kagome, that's when she completely got on my nerves and I wanted to rip her apart so badly. When she showed up again on the episode when Inu-kun turns into a demon for the first time, she didn't do anything bad so I was cool with her. She had to come to Inuyasha-kun (not intentionally, I understand) in episode 48 and get Inu-kun all worked up! What Inu-kun chose made me call him a "stupid mutt" for a while, but he showed later that he still cares for Kagome deeply so I'm still cool with him. Now I keep adding -kun at the end of his name. Anyway, since she showed up, she made Kagome feel so bad. I couldn't believe that she made Kagome suffer like that! And I can't see Kikyo loving Inuyasha-kun anymore since she put a knife to his neck and when she was leaving she said something about, "after the string of" whatever "is broken, it can never be restored." Or something like that. So does she really love him? I've said it before and I'll say it again, how can a creature like that ever feel love? It doesn't make sense.

11. Sesshi's Angel

Sesshi's Angel New Member

Well, personally i like Kik! But i kinda am startin to hate the corpse thing that's goin on with her.....-_-;;

12. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my opinion on Kikyo isn't really fandom or hate

The alive Kikyo: I liked the alive Kikyo just fine, she was definitely a pure, gentle person. She gave up a lot to be the protector for her village, and it wasn't her fault that she yearned for a normal life. Truthfully, though, I don't think she was right for Inuyasha, even before death. She seemed nice enough but always a bit, i don't know, distant, and a little melancholy for Inuyasha. Also, as Naraku pointed out, they obviously didn't hold very much trust in each other. I think that maybe Kikyo wanted a normal life so much that she made herself believe that she had fallen in love. Don't get me wrong, I think she definitely had feelings for Inu, but I'm not so sure if you could go so far as to say she loved him. Still I think what happened to her was very tragic, and I feel that she should have been allowed to remain dead. The fact that she was reborn was NOT her fault, in fact she CLEARLY told Inuyasha NOT to speak her name (which is what brought her to life).

The Zombie Kikyo: I don't hate the zombie Kikyo either, I'm just more of a fan of Kagome's. I think that the zombie Kikyo was obviously tainted with evil since she acts almost NOTHING like the alive one. I feel pity for her because of what happened, but I just don't think she should drag Inuyasha to hell with her. If I ruled the world and everything went the way I wanted, Kikyo would eventually die (but a peaceful death, knowing that her feelings for Inuyasha were all settled out and she was ready to let her soul R.I.P), and Kagome could get together with Inuyasha without the worry of guilt.

But since I DONT rule the world, who knows what will happen?

13. BlackBlue

BlackBlue New Member

I bet you anti Kikyou-s are going to hate me

Okay.. I’ll try to cover up all the bashing reasons u people h’v put.

Kikyou did not turn into an evil zombie after she was brought back to life. In case u didn’t notice, she helps villages, the wounded, and she’s amazing with children. And now, some of u say she was selfish even when alive. Okay, Kikyou’s a human rite? Of course she wanted to lead a normal life,who wouldn’t? & Kikyou wanted to use the shikon no tama to turn Inuyasha to human, becuz if she didn’t .. people would talk. A hanyou and a miko---people were very religious at those times. If Kikyou wanted Inuyasha dead, he would already have been. It’s not like we’ll be seeing Inuyasha hurting Kikyou back. Kikyou hates Kagome, thus tried to kill her. This isn’t such a surprise. I mean Kagome hangs around Inuyasha all the time, and she’s *changing* him,…also Kagome’s Kikyou’s reincarnation. There isn’t any doubt for Kikyou to get jealous and hate Kagome. As for the Inuyasha telling Kikyou that it were Naraku’s fault that they both died of his trickery. Kikyou knows that, why do u think she wants to kill him? But she died hating and betrayed by Inuyasha, so that can never change the way she feels about him. She loves him..but she sorta still hates him. Kikyou gave Naraku the shards becuz once the jewel gets complete, she’d purify the jewel and kill Naraku along with it. Listen to Kikyou in the epi-s, she doesn’t lie. Kikyou only interfered in Inu/Kag’s relationship in the beginning of the series. Everything, the reasons u people hate her are all stated in the beginning of the series!! Anyone of you watched till the hundred epi yet?

I am for both Kikyou and Kagome,so I can't stand anyone bashing them.But u know u people ought to be happy. There are so many people bashing Kik & so little bashing Kag

14. Kogarashi

Kogarashi Summon of Wood

I don't really bash Kikyo, I just don't like her. I feel she's necessary to the plot and relationship development, but I don't think that she should be the one to end up with Inuyasha. In case you wondering, I have seen past the hundred episode mark (seen through 137 so far) and still don't like Kikyo for various reasons. But I'm not violent about it.

1 person likes this.
  15. Kagome's Arrow

I've had some time to think lately.. and I think my opinion on Kikyo has changed a little. When I first started watching Inuyasha I felt a very strange connection to Kagome, which is weird for me because I usually don't like main characters (especially the ones who r all cute and nice and stuff like Kagome) but eventually she became my all time favorite. Lately I've been feeling a small connection to Kikyo which sort of scared me because I worried that I wouldn't like Kagome as much anymore or that I would become an InuKik fan (i was always diehard InuKag). But after doing some thinking I realized that I genuinely like Kikyo and feel sympathy for her. She's experienced so much pain, and now she's been forced to come back and live in a world where she will never be accepted because she just plain doesn't belong there. Very depressing...

When the series ends I always wanted Kagome to end up with Inuyasha, and I still do. If she does, I know that I'll feel some sort of ...I don't know... righteousness (I think thats the word but if not... maybe u know what I mean) because I think that they belong together and that their being together was the way destiny had planned it for them. Even though Kikyo's become a good character in my book, and one that I generally like, I'll feel that same feeling if she dies (but not 124.... I mean dies at peace without hatred for Inuyasha). If Kagome or Inuyasha or anyone else died I'd be thoroughly disappointed, but it's different with Kikyo. She doesn't belong on Earth and being there is just hurting her more. She needs to die, and Inuyasha should not have to follow her. She once said that what she wants is for him to never forget her, and she's achieved it. She holds a place in his heart and will probably never forget her. But he's alive, and he has every reason to stay that way. As sad as it is, Kikyo needs to die. I'll be cheering when she does, but unlike most people I'll be cheering for her, not against. Same as I'll cheer for Kagome if she gets together with Inuyasha.

Well that was a long post..I needed to get that out anyway. Hope I didn't bore you all!

16. macosta

macosta New Member

I know this is a little late, but I can revive the topic with my say :catgirl:

The first encounters with Kikyou did not give you a good impression of her character. When she was resurrected, she tried to kill Inuyasha because she thought he was the one who betrayed and killed her. In the second encounter, she tried to hurt Kagome and drag Inuyasha to hell. Later on, Kikyou attempts to drop Kagome down a cliff. Then Kikyou gives the Shikon jewel to Naraku.

Kikyou's a *****, right? Perhaps in the beginning she was, but too few people notice that Kikyou goes through character growth too. In the first volumes of Inuyasha, I hated Kagome because she was annoying and trivial. But as the series goes on, Kagome matures into a kind and understanding personality, and moreover, she is stronger than she was at the start. The same applies to Inuyasha. Simply put, the whole series of Inuyasha is about him growing to accept his humanity. This applies to Kikyou also.

When she was resurrected from the grave, her soul was not stable and rational. She died hating Inuyasha for betraying her and her dreams. Before Naraku set both of them up to kill each other, Kikyou was looking forward to retiring her role as the jewel's guardian to become a regular woman living together with Inuyasha. Kikyou had put her whole trust into Inuyasha. The betrayal was something that upset her whole rationale, and the initial intention to kill Inuyasha after being resurrected was most likely an outburst of resentful feelings.

Kikyou's initial intrusion into Inuyasha and Kagome's relationship was an unleashment of resentful feelings. She hated Inuyasha at first because he betrayed her trust, and she resented Kagome as her reincarnation because she was generally her replacement for all the things Kikyou wanted and would have done. If not for her death and Kagome, Kikyou would have been the one by Inuyasha's side, nurturing him and helping him accept who he is. In the earlier volumes of Inuyasha, Kikyou's actions are a reaction to this new world she was dragged unwillingly into. Kikyou had never asked to be resurrected, her coming back into the living was completely involuntary.

As the series goes on, Kikyou begins to sort of grasp onto purpose for her walking among the living. She understands that Kagome will be the one to walk with Inuyasha, and also that Inuyasha's heart is for another now. The later meetings with Inuyasha are either coincidences or for information gathering, rather it is Inuyasha who causes the tension between him and Kagome.

Inuyasha is the one who causes problems between his and Kagome's relationship. Because he feels so guilty about indirectly causing her death, he can't let go of her memory and make more room for Kagome. Kagome understandably resents this, and so fights break out between the two of them as a result of their insecurities towards each other. Inuyasha can't let go of Kikyou, and Kagome is always afraid that Inuyasha can only see her as Kikyou's replacement. To say that Kikyou causes all the problems in their relationship is unnecessary, Inuyasha and Kagome can cause plenty of problems on their own, a trademark of most Takahashi couples.

If you summarize up Kikyou's life, how can you not feel sorry for her? Because of her skills in Archery, the Demon Slayers offered her the job to protect the Shikon Jewel. Kikyou couldn't refuse, simply because the Demon Slayers could no longer care for the Jewel, she was the only one. It's like being asked to save the world and refusing. Along with being the shrine maiden, Kikyou had to abandon any sence of being human. No life, pretty much. Her life was the jewel. When she met the half demon Inuyasha, she fell in love with him. Can you blame her for falling in love? The woman was starved of a healthy mental life in her late teens. Kikyou gave the Jewel to Inuyasha because they wanted to be human together, yes, it wasn't only Kikyou who wanted Inuyasha to be human, he did too. Can you imagine this; loving for the first time, only to be betrayed in the absolute worst way, in your life, possible? She died thinking that she had done something wrong; that it was her fault she was a human being with human emotions. She died hating, only to be brought back unwillingly five hundred years later. And only to discover that some ditzy girl posessed her soul; not only her soul, her better half. Kikyou survived withought her soul just merely off the bitter hate she when she died. And, Kikyou no longer loves Inuyasha, so stop saying she should 'let go'. After coming to terms with the fact that Naraku was the cause of her death, and the split between she and Inuyasha, Kikyou now exists souly to destroy Naraku. And yet you all hate her?

People who hate Kikyou just can't appreciate the dinamics and the beauty of character develpoment in the Inuyasha manga and anime. Try looking with more depth into the story, thats the way it was ment to be seen.

2 people like this.
  17. Kogarashi

Kogarashi Summon of Wood

(I cut down on what I was quoting so I don't take up the whole page)

First, it's not just for her skills in archery that she was asked to protect the Shikon Jewel. It had been tainted by a demon, and Kikyo was the only one pure enough to purify it merely with her presence. So the demon slayers sent it to her for purification as well as protection.

As for people who hate Kikyo, they may be perfectly capable of appreciating the dynamics of her character. They may just still hate her. I, for one, think she's a very well-developed character, with a great purpose as far as the story is concerned, but that doesn't mean I like her. I don't violently hate her, but I don't like her either. I hope you can understand that.

And thanks for the very well thought-out post and attempt to revive the conversation. It's appreciated. ^_^

18. Kagome's Arrow

She's definitely complicated; that's for sure. But yea, it seems that as time goes on she gets more helpful and becomes less of an enemy to the Inuyasha group. After that little "kill Kagome" scene, I don't really remember her doing much against them at all.

I suppose you could say she was a hindrance to the InuKag relationship in "Onigumo's Heart Still Beats Within Naraku", but that wasn't even really her fault. As she herself said, she hadn't come LOOKING for Inuyasha, but merely happened to stumble across him. The whole dagger thing was a bit much but if you read the manga she doesn't do anything of that sort

After that, she's merely used for information or help in a few battles (Tsubaki for instance). I think she's finally accepted the fact that she's dead and needs to move on, but I think she wants to avenge her death before she does it.

19. wing_goddess

wing_goddess Power User

grr, i cannot stand the "undead" Kikyou. she's just plain confuzzled. kikyou DIE!!! **heh, i mean that in a good way** she should rest in peace. she already knows the truth on what really happened when she died **ya know, about the one who really killed her** oh well, i guess i'll never understand crazy Kikyou for quite a bit.

20. Kagome's Arrow

Yeah, but think of it this way. If *you* died, and you were brought back, would you just say "oh, I'll be completely selfless and go on my merry little way to hell". Kikyo doesn't want to die because it's human nature to want to live. Also, she was brought back solely on her hatred for Inuyasha, not the kindhearted soul she had possessed before death, so you can expect her to be a little mean to him. After awhile she actually seems to overcome this hatred (in which case I don't know what she's living on) to a point.

I'm just a *tiny* bit mad at her for trying to kill Kagome because, well, that's pretty low. But she herself has experienced death, she obviously knows what it's like, and I guess she has her reasons.

I think the greatest thing about Kikyo is that she really makes you think. It's so easy to just put her in the "villain" category, say you hate her, and totally forget about her. But, as someone else in this forum said, one of Rumiko's main story points is character development. And while it may be justified to consider Kikyo somewhat of a villain in the beginning, she changes, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. It's sort of nice to take a break from the "good guys" and "bad guys" and focus on someone who is somewhere in between.