Square Enix Final Fantasy: Advent Children

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dr. Nick Rivera, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Wait, then how'd some people here see it already?

2. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Well, i guess i got more info than you then. It IS true on the part that Advent Children got released in Japan, however, it hasn't been released on DVD yet.

The movie is currently playing on theaters. The entry is free, however, there's a catch. Only those by invitation are allowed entry to go watch the movie. How to get invited? Be a member of the official Shinra site before august 1st. All those people got in.

As for how some people already saw it, it's the same thing as how everyone gets anime in Japan, exept I belive it's illegal.

-Seishin

3. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

You're illegal!

Besides, it's probable that the people who couldn't wait to watch this and just downloaded it are the serious FF fans who were ticked it wasn't released when originally promised. The ones who have been waiting up to 8 years since Final Fantasy 7 was released to find out what happens afterwards. I bet most who did that will buy it when it's released here to add on to their Final Fantasy collections.

I watched it with a friend, it was non-stop action but still a great storyline. It's what we wished Spirits Within were like back when we anticipated the release of that.

4. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I watcheed with some of the guys from college. The fight scenes are things that The Matrix could only hope to dream about. And i love the sound track for this film, i think i'm going to buy it when it comes out cause it was really cool.

Its amazing how real the film looks, i really started to find myself wondering weather some of it was actually live action.

5. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

My opinion...

I got an eerm... "evaluation" of this movie :p and well, i was kinda disappointed. Knowing that this is a sequel, i understand perfectly that some elements depend on a previous story.

However, i strongly disagree with making this a sequel. Why not a remake of the original story? Some, no, MANY things were left to be explained... and I didn't understand who was the person talking to Cloud in his "dreams" or whatever. I doubt this movie will have more success than "Final Fantasy: Spirit within", because... well, I couldn't understand what the heck was going on.

Specially in the final fight with Sephirot... what the heck? o_O Cloud did some trick with his swords? How? And what happened to Sephirot?

This alone made me have a :confused: face... I only wish that the Final Fantasy guys would have given us a more understandable story that didn't require having spent 8 + hours playing a videogame.

Maybe in 10 years, this might actually happen.

Oh yeah, that cellphone scene at the beginning was somewhat ridiculous. :rolleyes: I appreciate the homage to the original FF games, but... it kinda didn't fit.

6. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Oh god, please tell me GameStop isn't right like it's always been.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=067985

If that's the date that it's coming out, I'm already getting the download. I WAS gonna wait for DVD to watch it in sweet definition and surround sound, but screw that, my computer can handle it just fine.

-Seishin

7. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

***Warning, possible spoilers ahead***

To a person who hasn't played the game, of course this will make little/no sense. If you have, it makes perfect sense. The movie was originally meant to be 30 minutes long. But they got carried away a little and made it 1hr 30. It really was exclusive to the game as they didn't waste time with the story explanation. The brief re-tell Marlene gives at the beginning I thought was sufficient to jog the memroies such as myself.

I assume you have played the original game, please don't tell me you didn't know who either Aeris or Zack (Zack I reckon?) was (In the dream). Otherwise you would have missed quite a bit of the story.

I thought the cellphone using "victory fanfare" as the ringtone was a nice way of giving it a cameo appearance. If you consider that that theme doesn't really fit to be part of the soundtrack alone, having it as a ringtone was suiting (and funny as well... in fact I thought it was great).

I too was a bit disappointed that Sephiroth had a resurrected appearance (though I wasn't complaining when they started fighting), but not seeing him physically die just gives me a feeling... will he be back? Which isn't something I want.

- Shen

8. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Cloud's sword..
    at the end.. WOW! The Omini Slash makes perfect sense now.. I really loved it and I was waiting for it! and it took me a bit to realize why Cloud kept clicking his word.. so many hidden sword compartments!!!

I think it was so blatant it was Aerith and with Zack, I had to guess when I heard him(guessed right), but the end gives it totally away..

9. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

According to the DVD release, there will be a 25-minute 'Anime' episode called "Last order" accompanying it, which bases around Zack more.

I've seen it. Nothing new to what we know from the game, but was still a nice addition.

[edit]Found out that it was meant to be a teaser OVA for the coming FFVII: Crisis Core set to be released on the PSP[/edit]

- Shen

10. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Yes it has. The day it "came out", there were DVD-rips floating around everywhere, if one knows where to look. That's where people in the US got it, and yes, it is illegal.

11. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Actually, Last order of FFVII is in fact in Advent Children. How do you get it? You buy that preety little 250 USD limited edition. Which brings that, a brand spanking new version of FFVII (since they stopped making it), the FFVII OVA Last Order, a shirt, a small yet ultimate bada** figure of Cloud in his Fenrir, and loads of other stuff.

Still, 250 sounds expensive, even for FFVII. As for Crisis Core:Final Fantasy VII, I read that scenes from Last Order were only shown, since maybe they had no gameplay yet, but like you said, it's gonna focus all around good ol' Zack.

As for my illegal comment, yes, i said it was illegal, but i never said this kind of illegal was wrong did I? :p

-Seishin

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

The movie is very, very pretty, but has a really bad storyline. Additionally, all of FF7, Cloud was all emo and didn't think he was strong enough, only to realise he was in the end and rise as a hero.

So why does he do this again in the movie? He'd already worked out the problem, for pities sake.

In my opinion, the movie is pretty much just fanservice. Very, very pretty fanservice. Great fights and animation, but that's all. Kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, like that.

13. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Quoted for Truth.

About time somebody sharing my opinion said it. Advent Children feels like a fan-tweaked sellout, and that's pretty much what I expected. Beautiful CG, a few good fights, but terrible plotline. It's another strike by Squenix to cash in on the popularity of an existing title, much like FFX-2.

They need to learn that their CG is astounding, but that they really can't put together anything worthwhile with it outside of game cutscenes.

I'm sorry, but as cool-looking as some of the scenes are, this is one title I won't be dropping any cash for - I'll save it for next year's FFXII.

14. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

It was expectedly exclusively made for FFVII fans. From a fan's point of view (who's finished the game, mind you), the story was sufficient. (Other than the origins of SHM). Though from a newbie's point of view, all they can comment on is the graphics... but they not appreciate it as much because they don't know the characters and may say the fighting is used too over-excessively, whereas a fan wouldn't mind all too much.

- Shen

15. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Not for this particular fan, and FFVII is up there in my top ten favourite RPGs. The advent children story doesn't contribute a whole lot to the world's lore, and everything that takes place is more-or-less reset at the movie's conclusion - meaning you could rip it out and no one would know the difference.

Perhaps the only real piece of takaway is that Rufus survived Weapon's attack on Shinra.

Flashy things don't sell me. They might grab my attention easier in the beginning, but they sure as heck don't keep it. I came away from the game satisfied - this movie just wasn't the same caliber.

But again it's opinion, so maybe a QFT was a bit extreme. I'm not here to force my opinion down anyone's throat, nor am I here to debate. I'm just saying that I personally wish companies would stop milking the cash cow to mar classics.

Edit: I just remembered the Turks scene with the dynamite. That's another keeper - felt right, like one of the game scenes. ^^

16. Dante

Dante New Member

You forgot to mention that Tseng seemed to also survive.

17. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

As far as I'm concerned, Pretty + Dumb = Pretty Dumb.

18. Badluck

Badluck New Member

Yes, people that agree! ^ ^
    I thought the movie was cool in all, but I had friends bowing to it,
    calling it the "greatest movie ever made." All my friends are now FF7
    dorks and it's all they can talk about. It kinda slowly starting to bug me.
    I miss good old anime, and manga with my friends, but they all
    going on and on about the new movie and ova/oav, and I feel stuipd for
    not getting what the big deal is. So I'm happy that only one that thought it was fanservice.
    I agree with that. All my friends are going to buy it.
    But I felt it was "milking" cash. It's sad when companies do that.

19. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Lol, unfortunately (if you wish o refer it that way), I was much the same as them... but the effect is dying off a bit now.

Agreed that it was ONLY fanservice. From my point of view I'm not complaining, I'm happy that the makers were aiming for people like me.

- Shen

20. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I think it's a pretty good movie anyways. I'm not a HUGE FF7 fan here either, of course it was pretty, the story I thought was good for what it was.. considering all the action shoved in and how quickly it moved.. and then after it all you can breathe again.

I'm with Shen on the whole "I know it was fanservice and I was happy to see it", plus I'm also happy it wasn't an OVA that just did a remake of a part that happened in the game, like how we see some anime ovas which are jut retelling a section of the anime all over again.. how b o r i n g!