Current Affairs Homosexuality within Society

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Engel, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with being homosexual. It may not be what nature intended, but it's here to stay, and it's morally wrong to dislike people simply because they're homosexual. Yes, it's discrimination.

If I recall correctly, it's not a matter of choice. You don't wake up one day and say "Hey, I think I'll be gay today." It is something born into you, and it's unfair to treat someone unkindly because they are gay.

Really, I don't see why the Catholic Church is so opposed. I don't see why ANYONE is so opposed to this whole matter. They're people, too. They deserve the same rights as we do, and it's wrong, it's evil to deny them.

Besides, put simply, WHO CARES? Why should you care that some guy you'll never meet who lives over 1000 kilometers away is going to marry some other guy? It makes no difference in your life at all. NONE.

2. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

I've Been A lesbian ever since i could remember... my first girlfriend was in the 3rd grade... her name was Jessica :eek:

3. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

My first girlfriend was in 6th grade and her name was Angela.

4. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

The problem with that is that a lot of people dont have any sexual attractions until they are older, not even vague ones. I know I was like that. Especially very young kids who dont even know the difference between men and women or girls and boys until they are taught it.

I think the anser to "is your sexual orientation ingrained into you at birth" is that we are still learning answers to this. I read a study just the other week which had some very interesting new possible discoveries.
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/05/09/pheromones.study.reut/index.html

5. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

I went to a christian school from grade 5 - 12 and everyone there had the mindset that homosexuality is wrong and most ppl there felt that if you meet someone whos gay you should try to change them and convince them that its wrong...(which i dont think is possible i think thats just pointless) they would also treat them differently almost as if they were lower beings or something which made me really mad... i never took on that mindset and God help me if i ever do x_x... im not sure anymore what i think its a gray area with me now. ive read articles before (which im not sure i agree with either) which say that homosexuality is the result of a chemical imbalance in the brain. maybe thats the case in some i dunno but i know for others it is a concious choice. some people even treat it as a disease. i dont discriminate against them and have homosexual friends and actually my old singing teacher is gay. i know that the bible says that homosexuality is wrong but i dont recal it saying anywhere that u MUST go out there and try to 'convert' all homosexuals into heterosexuals. since the bible says its wrong i just simply wont become homosexual but for others its their choice whatever. in any case people who are homosexual know that there are many people out there who say its wrong so its their choice whether they choose to believe and change or not. as for me if someone ever came up to me and said "hey i just found out so and so is gay/lesbien! we should talk to them!" i would stay out of it because of the fact that im in a gray area about it.

6. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

OH come on pleeeze! It's an expression! You obviously have some comprehension problems.

7. luvweaver

Some things to clarify:

*Marriage, as seen by the Catholic Church, is a sacrament. This is, God-given. It does NOT originate from any governmental institution, but rather from the will of God, that the man would join his wife (notice this is a bond between man and woman).

* The Catholic Church is against premarital-sex just as it's against homosexual acts. So those people who just "live together" are seen as sinners, there's no distinction between homosexual and heterosexual in here. Do you have sex? Yes? Are you two married? No? Then you're sinning. Period.

Besides from that, the Catholic Church has nothing against people who are homosexual - they're human beings, just like us. And the Catholic Church does not endorse discrimination at job or in public against homosexuals.

The problem is when "marriage" between homosexuals (or lesbians) is declared as a "right", and the Catholic Church is seen as "discriminating" for "denying" people their "rights".

If you don't like the Catholic Church's doctrine, then go to another church. Period. I've heard there are some homosexual churches out there. But just don't complain when catholic people tell you that you're sinning. It's their right (first ammendment, remember?).

8. Reisti Skalchaste

OK, then why does the church fight so hard to prevent them from "marrying"? Why can they not simply ignore it, and refuse to marry a same-sex couple in their church? I see nothing wrong with that. But the church insists on speaking out and trying to control the fate of millions of people it has no right to force itself on. We're free to worship our own religion, so why would we have to listen to the Catholic Church as it tries to affect our lives?

9. luvweaver

Good question, Shinryu. I think it has to do with the family institution devaluating. If homosexual "marriages" are given exactly the same status as families (including raising children), then what is viewed by the Church as a "true family" will eventually disappear - and being family the basis of society, this poses a threat (don't ask me how, i don't know) to society as a whole.

Now I'm sure there must be an papal encyclica on family somewhere, but I'd have to look for it. However, I think a possible reason is because if homosexual "marriages" are taught as OK in schools, the children of catholic families would have a conflict between what they're taught by their parents and what they're taught in schools. It's only a supposition tho, I'm not sure.

Oh! I found a link. Apparently cardinal Ratzinger (aka pope Benedictus XVI) wrote a paper on homosexual unions.

http://www.faith.org.uk/Publications/CurrentMag/chMaJu05.htm

10. Reisti Skalchaste

I don't see how this so-called "True Family" would disappear. If Catholics continue to teach their children the so-called "right" way (which they will), will they not, if no one else, uphold that?

And, if this "True Family," by which I assume you mean a man and woman, with children, disappeared, how would humanity conitnue? No, just because it becomes legal doesn't mean everyone is going to become homosexual and marry their next-door neighbor. People are straight or they aren't. It's as simple as that.

Doesn't the bible teach you to accept someone for who they are, regardless of what they are? Black or white, or male or female, homo- or hetero- sexual, doesn't the bible teach acceptance?

But wait. 50 years ago, an interracial couple would be considered "wrong" or "against the order." They were forbidden to marry. Now, well, my uncle is married to someone from Barbados. No one's jumping down their throats and calling them evil or immoral, right? The Catholic Church was among those who denounced interracial couples, if I recall correctly.

Catholic School? No one's forcing you to send your children to public school. You could send them to a Catholic School, where they would learn the Church's "right" way, or you could home-school them. (Teach them yourself) There's no one insisting you send your children to the schools that would teach homosexual marraige as ok.

Seriously, it seems to me that the church is simply meddling in the lives of people it has no right to.

And, look at it this way. What if it was the other way around? What if homosexuality was the norm, the "right" way, and heterosexuality was frowned upon, called "unnatural"? *cough*SMJ*cough* What then?

11. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Shinyru has the best point on this..I mean wait a minute if you were that way
    and your parents hated the htought of it..would you still stay that way??I do of course what about ya'll

12. Yossarian

They are just trying to find An excuse for people being homosexual....

13. Yossarian

i hope you never have sex with a condom or the pill... or that might say that your having sex for fun....

its not our fault that straight people haven't formed a parade...

Pride parades is just a way of saying we're proud of who we are; regardless of what people think of us, and we're not going anywhere anytime soon....
    it's also just really fun to go too .... :eek:

14. Ryokos_hellyen

Ryokos_hellyen New Member

its just human way to try and give a reason to why things are the way they are...

and Pride Parades Are fun... and im Straight

15. Reisti Skalchaste

Why do they fight to affect the lives of people they have no right to?

In our multi-cutural, mutli-religious society, the Catholic Church has no right to the people who are outside it's jurisdiction, that is, non-Catholics. Thus, it has no right to say or do anything that affects those people's lives.

What I think should happen, is that it becomes legal for Frank to marry John, or Sylvia to marry Cathy (random names), but that individual churches may refuse to marry them. So, the Catholic Church can simply say "No, I'm not going to let you be wed in our church." I believe the Church is afraid that, if it becomes legal, they will be forced to marry homosexual couples. This solves that.

Nobody's stopping people from being homosexual, except the Church, by saying it's morally "wrong" and "degenerate." By fighting so hard to "keep" the "sanctimony" of marraige, which has been defiled anyway, they send the message that it's not ok to be gay. That it's evil, and horrible, and it's exactly the message they want to send. They send the message that it's not ok to be gay.

16. luvweaver

I was told there was one. The gay community felt ridiculized and insulted. What I can't understand is... why?

17. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

Because (and I'm not saying this is morally right, I'm just pointing out its existence), there's an unwritten "politically correct" law that clubs/"pride parades"/special organizations (and I'm mostly referring to those that cater to a certain race/orientation etc.) are reserved for minorities. For example, my high school has the "Indian Club", "Asian Club", and "Native American Club", but I predict that if anyone ever tried to establish a "Caucasian Club", they'd be accused of discrimination before you could say "Club Carwash - Bikinis required".

18. KazigluBey

KazigluBey New Member

I was raised that homosexuality was morally wrong. In my home high school, no one would admit to being gay because of the school's intolerance. (I've never meet such racist and intolerant people in my life.) This school year, I went to a boarding school, and there are several gays. I am so glad that I actually got to meet some and learn their stands on the homosexuality. My views on homosexuality changed totally. If someone wants to be gay, they should be treated without discrimination.