Recreation Legato: Back In The Saddle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Legato, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legato

Legato Shakkin Daiou

I try to be good, I really do.

What is going on around here? why have all the silly, fun threads suddenly been closed? Why all this talk of "pointless posts not being appreciated"?, why do moderators suddenly seem to be swarming to fiddle with every new thread?

Since when has it been up to the moderator to decide what is a "valid" thread. yes, if it's offensive, edit it. if it is nothing but offensive in nature, delete it, send a warning to the person who did it. But don't decide (especially on the Misc. board) that a thread is "too stupid" and just shut it down!

Get off your high horse and take the tongue out of your arse, because you are meant to be looking out for us, not treating us like scared little babies who need to be told what is or is not appropriate.

Yours most sincerely,
    Legato.

P.S. this does not apply to all moderators, only those who are guilty of any or all of the above crimes against free speech.

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

As always, Legato, you have a vaild argument - even if you do so thinking the wrong idea...

Yes, offensive posts, or those which don't belong here (illegal activity, pointless spam, advertisement) will and have been dealt with on the regular basis of our board team, and no - we won't tolerate them.

I agree with the recent closure of a number of threads NOT because I find them invalid, but because I find them pointless. Yes, pointless. Each of the "What are you {insert title} right now" hybrid started out as fun little subjects, but as time and circumstance would dictate, they have grown into nothing but one long stream of never-ending spam. Here, the boards' resources are being wasted, and if the conversations were constructive, I wouldn't mind keeping them around, but they're not - you of all people should understand, having presented that argument last time you jumped on your flaming horse.

I can't speak for anything KaMeKaZi may have said, but from what I know of him, he is a brunt individual, and may have not given the full reasoning behind such closures.

We are not here to babysit, no. We are not here to push our own sense of validity (unless your subject matter forces us to). We are simply here to keep the boards in as clean a state as can be. The "What" threads have had plenty of active time, and we just feel it's time to put them out to pasture.

I hope you don't misunderstand me, Legato, since restricting your participation on the boards is hardly my own or any team members' intention.
    -BakaMattSu

3. Legato

Legato Shakkin Daiou

I am keen to know what qualifies as forcing your own sense of validity. is it true you closed a thread because it wandered into the subject of cleavage? when does "what is good for the community" blur with "what you think is good for the community."

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I fail to see the relevance of cleavage on the boards - it had no place as it stood on MangaToAnime.

I am not a difficult person, Legato, and I try my utmost to see all sides of arguments when they arise - with as much patience as posisble. However, if pushed for too long, or too far, I can become difficult if you so wish.

There will no doubt be some blurring, no matter how indifferent I try to be.

We are a community of manga and anime, not one of sexual discussion. If you feel the need to discuss such topics, you are free to do so elsewhere, as the web is a large place and there are more appropriate places to do so.

Please don't cross the line, and then attempt to justify it by pointing out that we drew it.

5. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Well, someone has to decide. And the best measure that person can use is what he thinks is for the good of the community.

I for one am surprised by your sudden defense of fun silly threads. Seems you don't really care what side of the fence you're on, as long as the mods are on the other side.

(feel free to make some snide remark about this) And now, I give you us:

Attached Files:

6. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Well I'm kinda with Legato on this.
    I don't think moderators should police the content of the of the conversations on the threads.
    Spam, flames that get out of hand and all that crap sure get rid of that.
    But if someone wants to talk about cleavage let them. I don't see the harm in it. It's a miscellaneous.
    I mean it has as much relivance as any of the other threads on the board.

Just cos you don't like it doesn't mean you should delete it. I think the people on the board should decide what's good for them. If the topic of the thread is not good for them they don't have to read it.

but on those stupid "what are you...whatever" posts I think if they are taking up valuble resourses and are little more than people wasting time they can be deleted. Unless it develops into a discussion of some kind.

7. MamiyaOtaru

which we kinda decided was not happening.. I truly don't mourn their passing.

And of course you're on Legato's side regarding cleavage :D doesn't surprise me one bit. I think for most any given (active) member, I could say where they stand already. The membership is made of more than the vocal minority who take it upon themselves to complain about something.

All I take exception with in what you said MH, is that the members should police themselves. This makes it sound as though the mods are not members. We are members, and for the most part are mods because we have been so for a very long time. We are not some outside power sent here to piss you off. What I'm saying is we are members too

8. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

I know the moderaters are members too.
    But a moderater is just one person.
    I always thought moderaters were there to make things run smoothly.

I'm that predictable wit the cleavage huh.
    I must have missed that post though.

9. MamiyaOtaru

I based my 'prediction' on what you've said on similar topics in chat, and not just once. Seriously though, I'm not here to debate how predictable you are :p

Here is what I hold to be the root of the matter, which certain people conveniently skirt. We have already done the racier threads. The virginity thread et al ended up being about the most mean spirited, angry threads we've ever had. It did not work. Whatever one's opinions sex, anger and arguments are things that do not belong here. The necessary steps to try and prevent them will be taken. (what these steps are is obviously not set in stone or even close to being decided- see this thread :p )

Certain lines will be drawn. Opinions will differ. I for one have no problem with cleavage, but just because the line was drawn a tad more conservatively than I would have done, it is not the end of the world. I recognize that there are other places to discuss that sort of thing, places other than an anime board. I go to these places, as can anyone else that has a problem with measures set in place to try and preserve the peace.

Sex offends some, as such, posting about it has been somewhat curtailed. Before you start whining, keep in mind it works both ways. Religion offends some (often the people who want to talk about sex) and religious discussion has been curtailed. You can't have your cake and effing eat it too.

10. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

I'm not gonna persue this zealously. I know it's not a big problem.

But I just disagree with the way the message boards are run that's all.
    I mean it's a bit like treading on egg shells.
    oh better not say this better not say that it might offend some one.
    And these are usually little things(I'm not totally insensitive and blunt).

and I'm not some sexual devient who want to talk about it all the time, it's just they were the only discussions that were what I'd call heated. And therefor interesting. I mean if everything we said was oh this is cool, oh that's cute and I like this. And nobody gave a interesting argument or conversation. It'd be pretty tame.

I mean this is a pretty sterile environment.
    But I mean if that's the way people like it I'm not gonna try and change it or try and stir sh*t up.

11. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Woah, "I mean" a lot.

Damn I gotta stop saying that so much.

12. MamiyaOtaru

I hear you. I don't really like having to watch everything I say. Bring it up with those who shouted down religious discussion.

Disagreement does add spice. It just seems that the disagreements provoked by the sex threads were a bit too severe. There should be a line somewhere, and I think it should be before the level of arguments that broke out in said threads. Those went too far (for the people on this board at least).

No one really complained about cleavage before those threads, before someone took things too far. As a result of them, there has been a bit of a backlash. I think things will even out again eventually.

Wherever that equilibrium ends up being, it is blatantly obvious that the virginity thread didn't work, I think that one can be ruled out. As for the rest, time will tell.

One last thing.. the mods are individual people, when taken by themselves. Yet we pretty much never do anything without consulting each other and the admins; with about 20 of us (guess) we represent a pretty good cross section of the board population, and don't always agree. No one goes gung ho and deletes a buncha stuff by himself.

13. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

I just used to posting on the Ozzfest board.
    Which is a nasty place. Full of hate for pretty much everything.
    Great place.

14. MamiyaOtaru

hehe I bet the atmosphere is a wee bit different :D

15. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

So I have created a dilema around here have i not.. Well if You must know why i closed those boards its because i was tired of looking at them.. Not actualy reading them but looking at them every freaking time i come on.. looking for something interesting to read and all i see is what are you doing.. frankly i dont realy want to know..

Second Reason.. Im actualy trying to take over This place.. Rule it with and Iron fist and Ban everyone.. Then it will just be me and a select few.. who i dont want to ban....

Well not realy i dont want to run this place..

But on a side not.. We are the mods.. we have a forum that we talk about things that normal members cant.. a lot goes on in there that others will never see.. maybe one day they will.. But no one in there had a problem with what i did.. I was expecting a lot of hellraising in there but did not get any..

So if anyone has a problem with what i did.. direct your coments to me and ill let you know what i think...
    :cool:

Kame

16. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Those threads needed deleting. It was their time.

17. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I think that it was an okay idea, I don't really mind them being gone... because I really like seeing more anime based threads and replies. I mean someone could have just come on without knowing one thing about anime and could have spent all their time in the misc thread to talk about what their age is or soemthing. It is really cool to find out more about one another, although it's cooler to get to teach and learn from one another and share our common interest, Anime and Manga more.

I think I'm just rambling though, and probably angering people ^^>

18. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

hey I thought you said those what are you doing now posts were gone! they're still there!

19. MamiyaOtaru

they were just locked. If they were deleted, peoples' post counts would go down :p Having people pissed about cleavage is one thing, but we can't have people pissed about lost posts

20. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

That's another thing I never understood.
    People trying to amount huge post counts and their weird attachment to them.
    What does it matter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.