Recreation Legato: Back In The Saddle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Legato, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Welcome to what must be your first internet forum. This is the way things are pretty much everywhere. Except everywhere else is worse. You want strict? Go visit the Wing Commander CIC forum. From their rules section:
    Any more talk of us being fascists (****, why don't you just call us Nazis, you know you're itching to) will be understood by me to be the unfounded FUD that it is.

Lastly, regarding the fun little (or freaking huge) threads that have been removed: displeasure has been voiced. We get it. The man who moderates that board has heard your *****ing, and he still feels fine with it. Get a ****ing grip and deal with it. How many more ways can you think of to say "we think you're evil for locking those threads?"

2. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

ya know, just cause a thread got closed, doesn't stop you from trying to create a new one...i mean, maybe just ask the mod why it was closed? like was said earlier...they were closed because instead of being useful for any reason whatso ever...they are now spam thread...ppl post there not to read about anyone else, but to up the post count. i mean, not everyone is gonna read 40pages of something. hell, i wouldn't...i'd look at the past couple pages and try to run with it...maybe even just the current page and post in that fashion...ther DOES come a point when a thread is much TOO long.

3. MamiyaOtaru

good point.

and, I am calm now. talked with BB, and realize how futile it is to take offense at something like that, no matter how it was meant. Sorry Vash, if it seemed like my last post was all directed at you, it wasn't. I just keep getting this strange urge to answer in kind :p

My opinions remain the same however. Those threads were locked, end of story, at least for me. Some quixotic souls may wish to continue blowing on the dying coals of discontent, but things is still the way they is.

I think most everyone who cares has expressed their opinion, and I would be for locking this, if locking threads was something I did.

In musc, new threads can now appear with the very same topic, with the difference that people (for a time anyway) just might actually read what's being said again. Here, I'm perfectly happy if it gets so big that no one pays attention anymore.

Therefore, in my infinite wisdom, I wish that this thread may continue in perpetuity, or at least until everyone has tired of beating the tambourines of war, so long as the flames stay low.

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

First off, I've given it quite a bit of thought, and I now am pretty sure of the mentioned subject involving cleavage. It was not closed - I merely stepped in and left a reminder to not let the subject get out of hand. The posts that I have recently closed have been two in which a difference of moral opinion resulted in a flame fight - the "Women are better", which turned into a discussion of orgasms, and the "Virginity" thread which became a war between those who deemed it sacred, and those who said to forget about it....but I'm not here to argue moralities. I'm here to offer my final points before leaving this tiring discussion...

1) EVERYTHING on the board takes up resources. It may be big, it may be small, but that is one argument. When a topic that is pretty much spam grows to a large number of pages where one is more likely to reply than read, it's mainly a waste of space. Why not save that space for another, more useful string of topics?

2) Misc is truly what you said, but not to the point that it's a sponge for all breed of spam. If you feel like conversation, I believe you'll find the chat room is a lot speedier, and doesn't leave behind a mess of posts that nobody really needs to see. As for roaming, it's perfectly legit, well within clean reason. If you don't give us reason to censor, we won't. Respect us, and we'll respect you. If you don't, you're really doing nothing but turning potential allies into enemies. We're not here to spite anyone, and we're definately not "plotting behind closed doors" in the Admin section about anybody - racing to see what evil we can do to members next. In fact, if you give us a chance, you'll see we're not all that bad as you may think we are.

3) Even with that said, there are things that are still not meant to be seen by every member. When we take action, we do so in what we feel is right. Politics aside, it's just the way things are run. If you have issues, by all means raise them, like you have here. Judging by the sheer number of replies from our team, it is evident that your voice is being heard here. We could have gone the dictator's way and erased all evidence of your protest and went on as if you never existed. We have the power to lock down all negative opinions to pretend our society is always in agreement with our actions. Have we exercised it that way? No. Will we ever? No. I've said it so many times before, Legato. Your opinions are valid, and often I am in agreement with some of them. And that's all I have to truly say.

I close with a few choice quotes from Legato here on the boards. These are in reference to something else entirely, but I still think they apply:

"what do these achieve? they don't add anything to the topic and make the member appear dense, or at least very very tired. "

"I'm finding it increasingly frustrating trying to look up topics in "Misc" using the scroll and "next page" and finding 5 or more of these pointless post building threads."

"This is the first message board which had a friendly enough, relaxed atmosphere to even consider posting a thread which would quench our curiosity of which type of person was favourable on chat."

"If you haven't been flamed to death, everyone likes you. "

"I say if you have a beef with someones point of view, don't hide it, say whats bugging you about it, but make sure to justify your opinion. And make sure it is your opinion. "

"Do unto others is my golden rule. do you want to be lied to? do you want to be pressured? do you want to feel like your opinion doesn't count?

Thought not."

5. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

indeed.. ive been called a few things but Fascist is a first..

Anyway from what ive seen no matter how much you cry foul those threads are staying closed..

KaME

6. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I really do not think that Mangatoanime is being strict. We're just doing what we find will be the best for all of the members! And to call Kame and the government in M2A fascist?!? blarg at that statement, we just run this place the way that any other board would be run. What do you expect the board to be? anarchy?!?!

7. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Oi, I don't likethe fact that you called a mod a facist. Mods are here to keep the board running smoothly, and as I'm sure I said many times before, we do want what's best for the board. I think locking those threads could be a good deterent for spam. If a similar topic pops up, it might've taught people to try and be more interesting. That is all.

8. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

heheh tho, facist can be taken as a compliment...you do what you think is better for the whole without asking the opinions of the whole. heheh

9. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

Good responses (mostly), I'd say. Basically if you want a good debate in "announcements in celebrations" get Legato to do it as he seems to bring out the worst and best in everyone.
    I really dont see how this thread is tired though.
    Anyways, some rather stupid points...

1) Ive been on message boards where you could say ****, **** and *** and ***** and no one would give a ****. Dont get me wrong, i like this place but its not especially relaxed.

2) I think people who want to try their damneddest to protect people forever need to find a more useful outlet for such admirable machismo. I want to help people, really but i intend to do it in the form of starting an orfanage when im rich and helping those who need help. Not being a net nanny with an attitude.
    But hey, im sure its appreciated by everyone else but me.

As points are argued against i'll be back, this thread hasn't been killed yet (Vash hasn't posted in a while)
    Wow, a whole post without saying cle...just kidding!

10. Vash

Vash New Member

Oi. OK. I apologise for namecalling.

This thread does indeed indicate a willingness on the part of at least one moderator to support freedom of speech, not allowed under the principles of fascism.

Demo. One of the main principles of fascism is that a self-constituted elite have the right to dictate to the masses. This is anathema to liberalism and democracy, where the rulers must submit to being ruled themselves and transparently so. Ideally.

Work it out for yourselves. I'm not saying it's bad or evil. I'm not saying it doesn't work better this way or that it's not for the common good. And, for Pete's sake, for most of us it's for free, and whoever owns the ball has every right to go home with it.

But check what fascism means before you congratulate yourselves that it was a base libel.

What the hell am I doing? I'm here because I love manga and anime!

11. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

I hope enough people are still browsing this thread to see this.

I have, as you may have noticed, not been acting like i usually do lately. A combination of study, lack of sleep and those wacky teenage hormones has caused me to be unreasonabley rude and immature lately, I can only assure you that isn't what im usually like. I made some valid points but expressed them in an immature fashion. I apologise and assure those reading that I'll be my usual, level headed friendly self from now on.
    Sorry to all those i irritated.

kami no gokago.

12. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Hey there are a few threads around here that were closed and me and few others protested them being closed on the chat..

But oh well there closed.. this place may not be as relaxed as some boards/chats i Admit... I mean I use to help run the Manga CHan on dalnet.. and well lets just say that the conversations in there were 80% R rated ****.. But I had enough of that garbage long ago..

But anyway some of these threads are closed to perserve what this Forum is Realy about.. Anime and Manga.. Not im eating a donut right now..

So this place may be fascist.. what you gonna do about it..

KaMe

13. MamiyaOtaru

take that up with Legato, relaxed was his word. I wonder what he could have meant by it..

Net nanny: :rolleyes: Attitude: after pages of complaints and recriminations what does one expect. I don't feel like playing he-said-she-said, but if we have an attitude, it was in response to something.

"sorry for the name calling, but you're still fascists" Too bad. This is how it works. M2A did not make up forums and the idea of moderators. As I've said, other places carry it to much further extremes than we do. It's not gonna change. Still, thanks for the half-assed apology.

And oh! a ray of hope: at least one moderator is not a fascist! Could it be me? I will hold onto that possibility as part of my ongoing quest to feel good about myself

Wait, maybe you can get that mod to join your side! Divide and conquer! I'm sure whoever it is will be flattered enough by your approval to become your lapdog.

14. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

UK's a Fascist!

That's right folks, I'll freely admit that I am a fascist. I delete spam, I try to make this a place where information about Manga, Anime, and other light, non combative topics can be found with ease and joy by the viewer.

Yes, that means I make judgements based on my codes and ideas.

This is a Mod's job, and it ain't fun and games. Truly, we have some power, occasionally it gets abused, that's life.

Yes, I'm a Fascist, you can be one too at the low low cost of being a moderator. It's in the job description.

mod·er·a·tor Pronunciation Key (md-rtr)
    n.

1. One that moderates, as:
    a. One that arbitrates or mediates.
    b. One who presides over a meeting, forum, or debate.
    2. The officer who presides over a synod or general assembly of the Presbyterian Church.
    3. Physics. A substance, such as water or graphite, that is used in a nuclear reactor to decrease the speed of fast neutrons and increase the likelihood of fission.

mod·er·at·ed, mod·er·at·ing, mod·er·ates (md-rt)
    v. tr.

1. lessen the violence, severity, or extremeness of.
    2. preside over: She was chosen to moderate the convention.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Moderators moderate in the interest of maintaining a desireable atmosphere. What that desireable atmosphere is depends on the board. As for M2A, I like the free and innocent spirit of the early manifestation of these boards. I came here because of it. I know about other boards and their caustic flame wars. I just didn't want that.
    Well.. commentary on the past aside.
    Are you accusing mods of being fascists because of some real slight, or is it because you want to be called a fascist yourself?

-UK
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Brooding Moderator and Fascist pig

/edit 'cause I'm a facist too

15. MamiyaOtaru

This is a good question. It was originally asked of the mods, but I want to see it go the other way..

when does "what is good for the community" blur with "what you think is good for the community." -anytime someone makes a decision. As I said before, one can only make a decision based on what one thinks best, what else is one to do? Call Miss Cleo?

Now, there are people questioning some decisions. They've made their points quite clearly. What they think is best for the board is not in perfect harmony with what the mods think best for the board.

So I ask them: when does "what is good for the community" blur with "what you think is good for the community?" Why continue to press your arguments in the face of what you have galvanized into immoveable opposition, and enhance the negative feelings here? I don't think a continuation of this discussion will do the community any good at all, yet "what you think is good for the community" (anarchy) compels you to continue it. It seems obvious to me that your own view of what is good for the board has blinded you to what actually is best for the board, or you'd just drop it. (You'll notice I did not say this pages ago. I say it now, after everyone has stated their mind over and over, and the discussion has descended into name-calling.)

So we all do what we think is best, and assume it really is correct. You are just as guilty of that as we are. As much as you think we're wrong, I think you're wrong. I'm just going to accept that. Time to let this die. Go ahead, get in the last word, whatever (wouldn't be fair for me to have it) but sometime you'll just have to get over it, and for the good of the board, let it go. You're on my ignore list until you do. (oughta help me drop it :p )

16. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

Im impressed out how openly some mods are admitting that they're fascists. Well done, its a big step to admit that. When it comes down to it. Ive put up with M2A for a while now, why would the mods tugging the virtual leash deter me now? I like anime and manga too much.

You posted on the stupid threads too.

17. Vash

Vash New Member

This is somewhat pointless if I'm being ignored but what the hey.

When I said that at least one moderator supported freedom of speech I was referring to a post a few back that pointed out that if the mod in question didn't support this most non-fascist of principles they could have censored all protest. I won't name the moderator for fear of tainting them in your eyes.

And I really don't think you need to fear a coup, I don't see myself surrounded by people dying to agree with me. I also lack your conviction. I constantly doubt whether I'm getting things right or not, in so many ways.

18. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

ok, well, now that that's done and over with, and we've all been good little girls and boys about, let's drop it.
    *^-^*

19. Legato

Legato Shakkin Daiou

Holy Jump up and sit down! Wow!
    whooo... pretty much everything I wanted to say has either been covered or perfectly reasoned, by both mod and civilian alike. I'm impressed. Is me or Vas on MO's ignore, i'm not clear. It would seem a bit strange if it was me as I hadn't added anything for ages, but you know, anything can happen....
    I add some more points more as food for thought, rather than points for contest (although if you wanna contest them, don't be afraid to do so, I love the opinions of others).
    1. If mods don't have clandestine "haye" meetings why did a mod tip me off that "a group of mods were getting annoyed with me, so I better be careful"? This was no amateur either, this was a high ranking mod, who has the rightfully earned love and respect of many. Yet, I recieved no warnings from mods. strange.

2. Ahhh... who was it who mentioned that mods on other boards got respect, unlike this one....? was it DL, MO, kame...one of them. anyway it was a good point, whoever said it. Well, I'm guessing on those boards, Mods had some kind of reasoning for there selection, whether it be extreme fairness, computer skills, deep understanding of the subject, etc. On M2A, Modship seems to be issued in a variety of ways, from being the first to suggest a new board, to dedicated service to the board, and also (and this is the important one) as a reward. Whether it be for long time board using, being best friends with a mod, or being liked by the gen. pub, it seems modship is some kind of "congrats".
    If mods were superior in some way to members, then they'd get respect, but as it is, they're just members with ill gotten power. not respectale at all, really.
    I will drop this last point if someone can tell me this:
    "Why is Kamekazi a Mod?"
    Answer this satisfactorally and hell, you can lock the whole thread. If I know this, I can die happy.

20. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Hmmm cant Handle the fact that im a mod Legato..

I mean come on its the internet and your freaking out cause your not a mod and i am.. True I may be a Hard ***.. but hey someone has to do the dirty work now and then.. I just not afraid of conflict..

KaMe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.