Japanese Let's Try To Speak Japanese!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UFOtaku, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

heh, tricky one actually, but arent they always?

OK next is usualy 次のtsugi no, or somtimes just tsugi. eg tsugi pe-ji (next page) or tsugi no densha (next train). "Next in line" (for leadership) might be another word though, i dont know for sure, but something like 後継者 こうけいしゃkoukeisha next succeeding person (successor).

Fuhrer is German for leader of course, and the title of Hitler. So how to translate that depends on what kind of leader you mean, or do u want it to say Fuhrer in katakana? That would probably be フーラー (FUURAA) but that could sugest other words as well, like the name Fuller... but thats often true with foreign words in Japanese, esp when R and L must use the same kana.

If you want the Japanese word for leader, there are many, e.g. military, leader of political faction... many kinds.

Heh, that helped.. Not ^_~

Perhaps some one with more advance Japanese can give a better answer. But they might need more info on the context of The Next Fuhrer and what it means.

2. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Oh. I wasn't at home with a dictionary and Altavista didn't help much. Basically, because I'm a Cherry fan. Cherry from Saber Marionette J. She's in my sig too. She's very polite and and ... *daydreams* :p

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I remember, in SMJ, Faust was referred to as "Fuhrer" in the subtitles, and the Japanese dub called him sotou kaka or something close to that. Does that help at all?

4. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Yes it did, thank you. I needed pronounciation for another title. So that really helped. Also, thanks Roukemon on the help as well. I appreaciate it.

-Seishin

5. Reisti Skalchaste

I'm not totally sure if that's right, though. If the translation is accurate, if I heard it right, (though it'd be pretty hard not to, I think) etc. So I wouldn't, like, treat my answer like it's the end-all, absolute truth, or anything, not yet.

Rokuemon, perhaps you could confirm that for me?

6. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Maybe so, but i still appreaciate you trying to help me.

I'll take that as correct for now.

-Seishin

7. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Choose the one you like the most ;):

一将
    いっしょう (isshou) a general

中将
    ちゅうじょう (chuujou) lieutenant general, vice-admiral

将来
    しょうらい (shourai) future, prospects

叛将
    はんしょう (hanshou) rebel leader

主将
    しゅしょう (shushou) commander-in-chief, (team) captain

将軍
    しょうぐん (shougun) general, shogun

准将
    じゅんしょう (junshou) commodore, brigadier general

勇将
    ゆうしょう (yuushou) brave general, great soldier

大将
    たいしょう (taishou) general, admiral, boss

王将
    おうしょう (oushou) king

将補
    しょうほ (shouho) major general (JSDF)

驍将
    ぎょうしょう (gyoushou) veteran general, leader

If I'm not wrong fuhrer is translated to English as 'leader'. When you're reading 'shou' you're reading 'leader's kanji.

8. Reisti Skalchaste

But then, it was the subtitles for J that called Faust "Fuhrer." The subtitles for J to X called him "Supreme Commander" from the same phrase. Fuhrer does mean leader, but then, why do they call Faust sotou kaka instead of one of the ones you mentioned?

9. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Ok, these are two things. Seishin's:
    Seishin wants to find a translation for 'fuhrer', that brings us 'leader'.

By the other side, when you talk about subtitles, they may not say what is truly said. I mean, if a language does not contain an equivalent for the word 'aunt' they'd say 'my father's sister'. However, when we translate it from that language we turn it into 'Aunt'. My point is that they may not be really saying 'Fuhrer'.

10. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

I didn't know we were talking about a Saber M character, that would have helped to know ^_~

Theyve obviously translated it Fuhrer because Faust is from a German culture. He's an evil tyrant like Hitler was so they gave him the same title as the Nazis gave Hitler. There fore IMO the best translateion is FU-RA- フーラー in katakana, that keeps the German flavour, because remember Faust is not Japanese. So to translate "The Next Fuhrer" I would sugest 次のフーラー, or つぎのフーラー in kana, tsugi no FUURAA in romaji.

Shinryu, sotoukaka. Soutou, 総統 そうとう means President or Generalissimo (supreme commander). So there is the Japanese word for "leader" they actually use. The kaka part sounds like a title suffix, like -sama or -sensei, but I as far as I know kaka is baby word for mother (haha)!

Hope that helps a bit more...

11. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Um, yeah, I forgot that part. The best would be to leave the Fuhrer pronounciation since Fuhrer is only one, not leader, not president, but the great Fuhrer.

1 person likes this.
  12. SteamedRice

SteamedRice New Member

Translation

Fellow members.. If no trouble at all can someone translate this..

"Sorry, But I'm not available at the moment but If you leave a message stating the reason of your call, I'll get back to you as soon as possible"

Harigato^^

13. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

I will have a go ^_^;

ご免なさいが,いまは忙しいです。ちょっとメッセージ を残してください。直ぐに連絡を取ります。よろしくおねがいします。

in romaji:
    gomen nasai ga, ima wa isogashii desu. chotto messaaji o nokoshite kudasai. sugu ni renraku o torimasu. yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

I'm sorry but, right now (I'm) busy. kindly ("chotto") leave a message please. (I will) contact (you) soon/immediately. regards.

Notes: chotto is what they call a softner, really means "a little" but not literally here. Kind of means "would you do this little thing for me".

yoroshiku onegaishimasu is a polite set phrase, you say this at tthe end of introductions when you first meet someone, or when you have asked someone to do something (like here). Litereally it means something like please think of me favourably. Japanese politeness sounds very grovelly in English but its just what you say in Japanese.

you could even say 失礼します (shitsureishimasu) at the end as well, if you want to be super considerate. in this context it would mean roughly "sorry for being a pain". But its often said by the person who ends a telephone convesation when it means "i'm going to be rude stop talking to you now" (they are not being rude at all, just apologising for stuff Japanese people think you have to apologise for).

here endeth the lesson ^_~

like i always say dont take this as expert advice, but it shouldnt be too off the mark ^_^

2 people like this.
  14. SteamedRice

SteamedRice New Member

Your translation is very formal.. But thnx for your help.. it is much appreciated^^

15. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

heh, ok. i dont agree its formal though, not using any humble forms like a business secretary would say. its just polite. anyway, if you want somthing more plain though, try this. some is taken from a real Japanese answer machine.

只今電話に出ることが出来ません。メッセージ を残して。直ぐに返事をする。よろしくね。
    tadaima denwa ni derukotoga dekimasen. messaaji o nokoshite. sugu ni renraku o toru. yoroshikune.

right now (I'm) not able to get to phone. leave message (non polite). (i will) reply immediately (plain). regards (informal).

or drop the yoroshiku and just say ja ne, or ja na if you are a guy.
    ^_^

16. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

blah. stupid computer... can't write in hiragana, etc on this one...

ma,

konnichiwa minasan! eeto... naniwo yuuka wakanne- ya. tte ore (ka watashi) no kotoba toka tte nanka yokunaidesune....

lets see what my sig says! lol.

"ore wa 'shiroi kiba' wo hontou no eiyuu dato omotteru. ...tashikani ninja no sekai de ru-ru ya okite wo yaburu yatsu wa guzu yobawari sareru... kedo na, nakama wo taisetsu ni shinai yatsu wa, sore ijou no guzuda. " -obito [NARUTO]

17. furryb

furryb Blind guy drawing...

San nen ga nihon-go no benkyou o shita kedo... zen zen wakanai... :dizzy2:

18. geishaboy

geishaboy New Member

日本語の試験が嫌いですよ。。。。

19. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

同情していますよ。 (>_<)
    toujou shitemasuyo

頑張って!
    gambatte!

Edit: forgot romaji and translation.

20. Fujimiya Aya

Fujimiya Aya New Member

mou....nihongo zen zen wakarimasen kedo watashi wa hanashite mimasu

Minna san wa nihongo wo benkyou suru koto wa doko desuka. Daigakkou de ka gakkou de ka?
    ima hitori de benkyou suru kedo soro soro daigakkou de benkyou shimasu.

geez, I don't know any Japanese, but I will try to talk.

Where does everyone study japanese? at college or high school?
    Right now I'm studying it alone, but soon I will study it in college.

So how did I do? :p Sorry my Japanese is so bad. I'm kind of new at this X_x