Recreation Preferred Weapon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

So, similar to Galvayra? (From Slayers)

2. Zealot

Zealot New Member

For the melee and ranged weapons I would say a small collection of bearded axes. (Relatively short but double sided axes that can be used for close range combat, obviously, but at the same time are designed to be thrown with devastating force and accuracy over long ranges)

My magical weapon was really easy because I'm a big Soul Calibur 2 fan and I would definetaly want Nightmare's version of Soul Calibur. A giant sword that heals your wounds continuosly and increases your defence/toughness. It also looks freaking awesome.

3. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

my favorite weapon isn't a weapon...lol :D
    is just MP... just magic!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wouldn't be great being able to do magic like in ff or others?????
    that would definitly my choise.. if not than i would choose the lightsaber!

4. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

im all for the real weapons...magical weapons just dont quite do it for me. id have to go with a katana because its elegant but deadly and requires real skill to use properly, unlike a gun or something. the craftsmanship put into those swords is just incredible...not everyone can use a katana. second to that id have to say sais. they take a looot of skill to know how to use properly because theyre so small in comparison to other weapons, but used properly they can take on almost anything.

5. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

For me some titanium spiked gauntlets love getting up and personal broken jaw bone anyone with some puncture wounds hehe

Ranged weapon i would prefere a custom made . 45 magnum you gonna fly when that bullet hits hahaha

6. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Who wants magical weapons? Not me at least. My personal favourite is the one and only lightsaber! Not just any kinda though, i would have a Double-Bladed Lightsaber with a crystal that makes it's color Blue (that of the Jedi Counsul). Serously, just swinging this weapon around would make you feel cool! That sound it makes when it moves (like a hummm, or something like that) is just awsome. And lightsaber fights, RULE!

-Seishin ^^

7. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

The one and only katana. The old fashioned japanese sword has been a long time favourite of mine. But if i could i would take a "real" sakabatou.

8. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

Short Range-Dagger, laced with poisen

Long Range- Bow and Arrow

Magic Weapon- How about being able to use magic? Like casting spells on your enemies?

9. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll fight with a spork mind you

ever seen metal slug 3?

10. SteamedRice

SteamedRice New Member

Melee

Wushu Rope Dart, Escrima Sticks, Nunchaku, Staffs.. just to immobilize the opponent :D

11. kikyoulvr4eva

kikyoulvr4eva Want a cookie?

Staff, nunchaku, katana, sais, tunfa, spear, and my absolute favorite, the kama. ^_^

12. TrkJac

TrkJac New Member

If it were myself in real life, probably katana or macestaff. If I were some video game character, a scimatar or cutlass of some kind and a 9mm(who would survive in video games without a gun?)

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Mario.

Also I'd like to clear up some major misconceptions I've seen in this thread.

The first is about katanas. Yes, they're well crafted and elegant but they are not the be all and end all of swords. European swords are actually probably a better pick due to versatility (and if your opponent has strong armor, a katana is worthless as it is a slashing weapon).

The second is about guns. People seem to think that they require no skill to use. Swords don't require skill to use either. Using either well however does take practice.

The third is about magnums. You do NOT fly when the bullets hit you; please study physics a bit more. (equal and opposite reactions specifically)

Anyway I mentioned the OBS Fountainpen earlier, but outside of supreme wank...

-Lightsaber. Easy to conceal, lightweight and intensely damaging. Few things seem to be able to stand up to them; among them the scales of a certain lavabeast and swords made with a cortosis weave.

I'd also like to use a heavy bolter from Warhammer 40K, but then I'd basically have to be a spacemarine to use that, and they're so powerful that nearly all the weapons in this thread (short of lightsabers and OBS fountainpens) will do nothing to them.

14. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

I think that's because no one else uses guns on Mario games. The only thing a Mario game would need gundpowder for is those little rocket-like-cannon thingies. I forgot their names. And even if they look like a giant bullet, they go like two miles an hour.
    And yes, I realize that Mario is ussually a rated E game.

Exactly. Its easy to pull a trigger or to just swing around a blade. Its just your practice with it that adds your accuracy. That's why Vash was so good with his gun. He only had about more than 100 years to practice with it. Cant be as good as him for a regular human, now can you!?

Lighsabers forever and for all !!!1

- Kaiyon

15. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Shiruiken...maybe.

Scythe...maybe.

Magnum....Most deffinetly.

EDIT:
    Neph, You are the epitomy of the modern nerd....XD

16. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

17. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

And which type of armor were they wearing? My research shows chain mail. If there is such a sword I'll concede the point to you, but everyone seems to be picking the "standard" katana.

And didn't Samurai use spears against armored opponents usually?

Where does everyone get this idea that European swords are heavy? They aren't. Consider that you have to swing this sword around for basically hours once you go into battle.

One handed swords typically weighed about 2-3 pounds. The only "heavy" swords would be Scottish claymores, which were basically designed to crush armor and break bones through armor. And these were wielded by a people whose idea of fun was tossing tree trunks around, so yeah. Regardless, Claymores were hardly typical. A 37" long Viking Longsword with an iron crossguard and pommel weighs about three pounds.

As far as them being unwieldly, they were not gigantic knives as far too many movies insinuate. Swordsmen didn't take comically large swings; they'd use the swords balance point to swing the sword around.

Durability? A longsword is a lot tougher than a katana for the simple reason that it has a much broader cross-section and therefore is a structurally stronger blade.

And now for a special bonus, armor! People love the idea that plate mail makes you uber-slow. This is false. Sure it weighed 60 poundes, but it was also distributed all over your body. Performing cartwheels was not impossible. The only real issue was heat and a more limited field of view.

Anyway this post is NOT ragging on you; I'm trying to disspell some silly myths.

For those interested in, there's a wonderful essay on the subject here: http://www.thearma.org/essays/knightvs.htm

1 person likes this.
  18. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

There is such a sword. THere are many historic examples of it around in museams and i know of one forge the produces an extremely fine example.

as for using spears, its a yes and no answer. Typically, the Yari which is like a spear, was used in combat by armies. However, the sword was still the preferred weapon because of its speed and power. Also, because this Shobu-Zukuri katana had such a strong point, even chain mail couldnt withstand the immense stabbing power put into the blade.

AS for the durability, i still believe that the Katana far surpasses the Broadsword. While the Broadsword does have a thicker cross shape, the forging method of the katana is unlike any seen anywhere else in the world. The style of matching a hard and soft steel together produces a blade that will absorb the shock of contact through a bending from the softer spine, while the edge is extremely hard and can withstand the strike from another blade.

You have made you point with the European blades and i truly dont know anything about them. However, i do believe after studying Kenjutsu for nearly 10 years, that the Katana and its different forms are much better sword than any other produced.

19. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

having 7 different types of Japanese Katanas and 5 different types (including the B@$tard sword, the Cavalier's sword, and the Claymour) European swords in my collection i can say that most european swords dealve into utter brutallity and pure force, meaning that the user had to be strong (any other sword, such as the rapier were not actually considered European, even though they were originally Spanish; most smaller European swords were only meant for practicing (like the Rapier used in fencing)). i can also say for Katanas, that there is a much more diverse array of Katanas (i cant name them but i can surely descibe them). There are Katanas that were like the "traditional" samurai sword, slender slightly curved, very sharp, and strong; and there are katanas that are thick straight and diamond pointed (commonly refered to as Piercers, by the British, because of their destructive stabbing action that could pierce through most chain mail, and hardened steal) there are also the very sleak katanas made for use in one battle and to be dicarded after one use, they were made especially for cutting into metal, not stabbing through but cutting into. The process of making this sword was to use a very simple ore that is similar to what you would see in video games (orichalcum) I do not remeber its name, but it made it possible for the sword to be sharpened more and for its blade not lose its edge for 1 battle.

now enough of that and onto my weapons
    Real:Katana
    Shuriken
    bladed gauntlet
    Magical: Soul Blade of Destiny
    the blade Kira uses in the RPG Dawn Of Destiny.
    i would probably would have had different weapons but my brains fizzed out from thinking all about the swords