Recreation Preferred Weapon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

The claymore is a horrible example (why is in an earlier post). Furthermore, you own replicas, which aren't meant to be fought with so accuracy aside from visuals is irrelevant. You also didn't seem to read the essay I linked. "The bottom line is that Medieval swords were indeed well-made, light, agile fighting weapons equally capable of delivering dismembering cuts or cleaving deep into body cavities. They were far from the clumsy, heavy things they’re often portrayed as in popular media and far, far more than a mere "club with edges."

Oh never mind.

"The katana’s exceptionally hard edge was prone to chipping and needed frequent re-polishing and its blade could break or bend the same as any other sword might (...and no, they won't slice through cars or chop into concrete pillars either). It was not designed to take a great deal of abuse, and is not as resilient in flexibility nor intended to directly oppose soft or hard armors as some forms of Medieval swords had to be."

2. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

I wasmt basing my knowledge on the replicas i own but the original smithing process of the swords. only the rich could afford the lighter ores to make a light sword, so that meant that most swords were made of heavier ores which made them a lot heavier and unbalanced. Furthermore it was very hard to find a good blacksmith those days, that could make a light durable sword. i will agree that they a perfect for cleaving , and not just club like weapons, b/c i myself love europen swords b/c they are very versatile, but my choice is still the Katana b/c they are very well balanced weapons that make for very fast swords play, and a very versatile weapon. Dont get me wrong, european blades are very well rounded but against most (not all) Katanas they would not match the speed and durability (in one fight, not consistently).

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

You can stop wanking now. Even the average sword was only around 2-4 pounds; there's only so much material you can use in a sword. It's not like the blacksmiths could alter the molecular density of a sword. And how about you read that essay I posted? Like it or not the katana is vastly overrated. It's a beautiful sword but it's hardly the supersword you seem to think it is.

4. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Of course not. No real weapon is perfect. They all have their flaws, and their weaknesses. But I think you and most others will agree with me when I say that a katana is one kick-*** sword. :p

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

It's beautiful, and does well against its own, but it's not the best sword ever.

6. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

i agree niether does the European sword, but overall in my opinion they are both evened out through their flaws

7. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Alright then, I won't disagree with you, Neph, but, what is the best sword ever, since you're so determined on knocking down the katana?

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

There is no best sword ever. When did I say there was one? However it is a fact that some swords are better than others.

9. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

So...some swords best others while they are bested, right? So, it'd be like rock paper siccors, right? Or is there really a perfect sword, that has advantages over all the rest?

- Kaiyon

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I wouldn't say rock paper scissors. And didn't I say there was no perfect sword just 1 post ago? If I had to take a sword, I'd take a one-handed sword of European design though.

11. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

i have to go with the traditional samurai sword.

12. SoraStrife

SoraStrife New Member

uuuhhhh.......

umm...i'm gonna have to say "lion heart" Squalls sword....but in real life i'm gonna have to agree with my friend here...yup a samuri sword....hehehehe! :D

13. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

yeah, samurai swords rule!!

go sorastrife!!!!!!!

and i have absolutely no idea why i put that.... hn. ?__?

14. Hitokiri Tenma

Hitokiri Tenma New Member

melee: a sword i made out of obsidian (i tried, but it didn't turn out well)EDIT: sword broke, obsidian is too fragile.
    ranged: bow
    magical: a bow where the arrows automaticlly return to the quiver after reaching the target

15. Takamatsu1986E

Takamatsu1986E New Member

Depends on the situation
    large groups, Naginata
    Duels, kodachi+Daitou
    ranged, longbow or small blowgun, depending on the range
    fullon war, kodachi and daitou tucked into my belt, longow slung over one shoulder and naginata resting on the other.

yup, and i definitely agree on people picking the "standard katana" without, for the most part, knowing what that is. and i also agree in that some swords are better than others, however I believe theres far more difference between this katana and that katana than there is between this katana and that epee.. know what i'm saying? either way, both japanese and europeans could forge weapons capable of cleaving steel and iron plate armor.... the japanese are simply more famous for it, whether it's because they did it more often or just recorded it better.

1 person likes this.
  16. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I chalk it up to the whole "IT'S FOREIGN TO OUR CULTURE SO ITS COOL" mentality some poor misguided fools have.

17. SoFreshSoClean

SoFreshSoClean New Member

super longsword

1 person likes this.
  18. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

What kind of Kagome luffer would I be if I didn't choose a standard bow and arrow? Besides, I'm gun-shy (and they never appealed to me anyhow), and don't know enough (read: anything) about swords (outside of RPGS) to feel comfortable defending myself with one IRL. Although if this were strictly for decorational/other non-violent purposes, my friend's got a nifty katana I'd sell my soul for a duplicate of. Besides that, though, archery's always been a casual hobby of mine. So bow-and-arrow it is!

19. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

A sword? Well, a chinese Jian Dao if I had to choose. Either one of those or the always "omfg best sword ever" Katana.

Weapon? I will go with realistic ones, and it would be a M16 or a famas.

- Teddz

20. Sieghardt

Sieghardt Man With the Machine Gun

Well, I have no skill whatsoever IRL with weapons, but in games im usually the guy with the huge friggin greatsword.