Neon Genesis Evangelion Religious Links/Symbols??

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Dark Phire, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Dark Phire

Dark Phire New Member

I know there is a lotta of em, and they really sparked my intrest when i seen all the things series...so...i wanna know if you peeps have found anything else out...or something...i will share with what i have found out thus far, or think...
    Lance of Longinus - its a real lance, that belonged to a Roman soldier, named longinus. He was sent with 2 others to go break Jesus' legs when he was on the cross, you know to make sure he cant support himself and die faster, but when they arrived at the cross, he was already dead. Longinus then pierced his side with his to prove he was, and when he did, blood and water poured out his side. Some got into Longinus' eyes and could see perfect (he was partially blind before). The lance then was eventually lost and then there is some stuff about St. Peter having some visions and finding later and then Hitler supposedly had this holy artifact ( he was big into collecting religious artifacts ). The lance today is said to be either in a pillar in some big major church in europe (cant remember the name), in a museum in itally (thats the one hitler had), or somewhere in britian. No one knows which one is the real one, and i thought the whole concept was rather interesting.

The Magi - (this is from my own assumptions) symbolizes how man is starting to rely too much on technology and how bad it could be if we do...i mean computers governing us...

some wierd things i started to think about then...if we found the real lance, wouldnt it have jesus' dna on it? and cant we clone things? i know it would be difficult, seeing how old it is, but it worked in jurassic park ;)...that sorta relates, man, if we essentially "clone" jesus, could start the apocolypse, as in the series...i think too much...

2. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

erm

yeah

right.. why would anyone want to clone a 2000 yeard dead carpenter?

clone someone useful, like the ***** of babylon.. now she knew how to have a good time

3. Slydice

Slydice ave, Lex, morituri te salutamus

I've made my signature just for you mordeth :p :D

4. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

and then there's the actually translation of the title, which i think sounds better...least it makes more sense. New Age Gospel: Evangelion. only reason we got neon genisis is cause the creaters said "this is how it's gonna be in english. and that's that." *^-^*

the other thing is, you ever notice that where ever there's a cross, something dies? a cross or an angel. lovely connection there. ( the cross thing is in smj too lol )

and it gives you something to giggle about when you hear "ode to joy" too *^-^*

hehe i like how you think. sooo, in the end, what you're saying is, what if jesus himself IS the antichrist and we brought it on ourselves? hehe an interesting thought...

5. shinji ikari 2

shinji ikari 2 New Member

the magi

the magi - were the 3 kings who came to jesus when when he was born with some stuff that i cant remember.

The Dead sea Scrolls were a collection of scrolls found in a cave just by the dead sea (duh) which depict the apocolipse and some other stuff

the beam that auska gets hit with (the one that makes her nut's) the song that is in the background is the song the angels will sing when the apocolipse comes

:D :D :D :D :D

see not just a pretty face.

P.s. has anybody seen the picture of the 12 winged angel (lucifer)

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Marduk: Babylonian god of destruction.

End of Eva has many parts which are from the Book of Revelations and other books both theological and philosophical, such as the Kabbalah, Kierkergaard, and Sarte.

Also, SI2, that song in the background was Beethovens Ode to Joy.

Anyway.

If you reference the number of the angel to the corresponding angel in the book of Revelations, you tend to get some similarities.

Magi: The Wise Men who came bearing Gold, Frankensence and Mhyrr for Jesus.

As I literally just woke up, I'm a bit groggy and shall post more later.

7. shinji ikari 2

well im sorry for not knowing what it was called

well im sorry for not knowing what it was called but i know that it will be the song that the angels play on harps when they come to destoy us

ok blessed boy!!!!!!

8. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

That dude with the wierd visor that was part of Seele is supposedly ancient, waiting for the time of the third impact. I forgot who he was supposed to be, but there are theories that he's some wandering important biblical figure.

That big tree thing with the many circles is the Sephiroth. This has roots in the Kabbalah, which stems from Judaism. It's basically the path to achieve a closeness to God. Each circular figure represents a certain aspect of human characteristics. There are paths for beauty, wisdom, understanding, wisdom, and the like. Translated, it means, "The Tree of Life". Which you...err, sort of see in EoE. The mass production units form it in the sky, and Eva-01 becomes the tree.

Lillith is supposedly the first wife of Adam. Since she was made the same way as Adam, she was independent and would not obey Adam. She was also a seductress, giving birth to "demonic babies." Thus, she fled Eden and all this other stuff happened. This is told from Jewish legend, supposedly.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are pretty much what they said, 'cept it was foretelling the beginning of the end. Everything that happened in Shin Seiki is told to be corresponding to the scrolls.

Marduk, the agency responsible for choosing pilots, is actually the Babylonian legend of the leader of the upper echelon of gods.

Lillith's mask, by the site I'm referring to, is the seven eyed representation of the seven eyes of God. I should reread Revalations though, because I seriously thought it wasn't God, but someone else. Anyway, take a look at...Revalations Chapter 5, Verse 6 if you want to confirm. *shrugs*

The evas also have religious rootings. Not only were they based on japanese oni in inspiration. But they are also in the Dead Sea Scrolls. In the war scroll, the Sons of Light would fight with the colors of Red, Purple, and Blue. Also, they are based on some New Testament demons...which have "one eye (Unit 00), massive teeth and an evil smile (Unit 01), and one that has four eyes with the color of blood and war (Unit 02)". And the Unit 03 as well, being the sign of death and that it would stay silent.

The trio of Gendo, Shinji, and Rei could be translated as a few things. But among them, there are kanji that stands for, "The Father, the son, and spirit."

If you want to know more...I put this site up...twice before, but here we go again. http://www.interlog.com/~mileston/neon_genesis/eva.html

Edit:
    If I remember correctly, Seele has 12 members...remarkably remenicient of a certain 12. I think Gendo was Judas. :D

9. shinji ikari 2

i forgot about that

i forgot about lilith. she was made as a copy of adam (odviasly except for being a woman) and because of this they were not compatable so adam told god that he didnt like her and god sent her to hell where sh became satans lapdog

(sorry for the bad spelling)

10. auska

auska New Member

wipe clean

I'm Shinji Ikari 2's lap girl he he and i'm wipe clean:shy3:

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Re: well im sorry for not knowing what it was called

Oooooooooooooooooookaaaaaaaay.

Settle down there.

12. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Ahh, Dark, about your DNA theory. I don't think it'll work. Well, for one thing...it can theoritcally work with mosquitos because they get preserved in amber. Not to mention the fact that they store blood. The Lance, or whatever weapon, will be used again and again. Plus, it get cleaned, or if it's put through a fire...then all that stuff just gets lost. Not to mention deterioration of metals exposed to air and moisture. Well, at least, I don't think it will.

Ah yes, there's also the number of evas. There were....13 I believe, if you count the mass production units. But, I totally forgot what significance this was.

The Lance of Longinus is also said to give its owner luck in battle. But, when the luck runs out, a horrible fate is bestowed him.

It's not really of major value, but Rei was revived three times. And, most holy or religious numbers are in groups of three. I don't exactly know *why* that is, but it's pretty true. They don't call it the Holy Trinity for nothing. Plus the Crucifiction of Jesus...there were three men on that hill that day. The list just goes on.

13. Dark Phire

Dark Phire New Member

theres a lot more stuff, they talk about it a lot in the commentary, i should go rewatch it then post some more ^_^

very intersting stuff here, i love learning about this stuff, thanks :)

and bloodberry, thats what i am saying, the clone would be the antichrist, and it is just freaky...i mean god created the beginning of man, and we always strive to be higher (imo), so with the creation it would be our way of "surpassing" him and would eventually be our destruction...

14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Lilith - In Jewish tradition, where she originated, Lilith is a female demon, enemy of infants, bride of the evil angel Sammael (Satan). She predated Eva, had marital relations with Adam, and must thus be regarded as his first wife. According to Rabbi Eliezer (The Book of Adam and Eve) Lilith bore Adam every day 100 children. The Zohar (Leviticus 19a) describes Lilith as "a hot fiery female who first cohabited with man" but, when Eve was created, "flew to the cities of mankind". She has been identified (incorrectly) with the screech owl in Isaiah 34:14. In the cabala she is the demon of Friday and is represented as a naked woman whose body terminates in a serpent's tail. While commonly regarded as the creation of the rabbis of the early Middle Ages (the first traceable mention of Lilith occurs in a 10th-century folktale called the Alphabet of Be Sira), Lilith is in fact drawn from the lili, female demonic spirits in Mesopotamian demonology, and known as ardat lili. The rabbis read :Lilith into Scripture as the 1st temptress, as Adam's demon wife, and as the mother of Cain.

In Talmudic lore, as also in the cabala, most demons are mortal, but Lilith and two other notorious female spirits of evil (Naamah and Agrat bat Mahlat) will "continue to exist and plague man until the Messianic day, when God will finally extirpate uncleanliness and evil from the face of the earth". In Scholem's article on one of the medieval writers in the magazine Mada'e ha Yahadut, Lilith and Sammael are said to have "emanated from beneath the throne of Divine Glory, the legs of which were somewhat shaken by their joint activity". It is known, of course, that Sammael (Satan) was once a familiar figure in Heaven, but not that Lilith was up there also, assisting him. Lilith went by a score of names, 17 of which she revealed to Elijah when she was forced to do so by the Old Testament prophect.

The 17 names of Lilith: Abeko, Abito, Amizo, Batna, Eilo, Ita, Izorpo, Kali, Kea, Kokos, Lilith, Odam, Partasah, Patrota, Podo, Satrina, Talto.

Excerpted from "A Dictionary of Angels" by Gustav Davidson.

15. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Well...

"the first traceable mention of Lilith occurs in a 10th-century folktale called the Alphabet of Be Sira".

I don't know why she isnt in Genesis. Since Genesis started out in the spoken word, perhaps even if she *was* in there she was removed so as not to get side-tracked from the main story, that being Adam and Eve and their expulsion.

I really don't have any idea.

Edit: One source says that Lilith was created from the dirt just the same as Adam and thus equal, and thus not apt to taking any flack from him. However this doesnt seem right (I dont think Adam would be cruel or a 'men are better' sort given that he was essentially innocent and almost childlike in his intelligence). I've no way of verifying this bit about Lilith so im just tossing it out as a possible origin. It is interesting to note that some things do chance in the Old Testament depending on the translation. 'giants of the earth' in the story of Noah and the Arc is actually the Nephilim.

16. Slydice

Slydice ave, Lex, morituri te salutamus

I was reading up and found......

http://www.ibiblio.org/hazine/Lilith1.html

It's interesting if it's true

Added to that, from reading elsewhere, I think i found that the Jews lived with lilith and eve for a while but that lilith kindof encouraged out of marriage sex and so she was gotten rid of!

17. Chowmein

Chowmein New Member

If you know your christian theology realy well and look at the evas youll notice that each look like different "demons".
    A friend of mine explaned each one to me, but i can only remember unit 02 is Marduk (4 eyes 6 (i think) ears, and theres other stuff but its been a while since i was told this).