Neon Genesis Evangelion Religious Links/Symbols??

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Dark Phire, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Actually, Neph, that was the first post! :D But what hasn't been mentioned is that Longingus was actually partially blind in one eye when he stabbed Jesus on the cross...and that he regained his full eyesight when the water and wine flowed and speckled unto him. Also, that the Lance of Longingus also actually bestows a curse upon the user in that, while they are holding it, they are invincible and would win in any war. But, should they lose it, or have it stolen from them, the most horrible of fates would happen to the previous wielder. So basically, it's damned if you do, and damned if you don't. :D

2. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

Ok, I think this is pretty cool with all these metaphor-ish stuff.... but since im not religous i really have like no clue wat u all are talking about... but it sounds pretty cool!!! :anime:

3. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

***********May contain Spoilers**********

That *was* mentioned.... in the first post :D

Also, what are everyone's views on the Asuka in the last scene?

Anyone feel the combination of Rei, Asuka, and Misato is right

***********End post*******************

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

*raises hand*

5. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I don't see the Misato part, but maybe I missed something. I was laughing at my friend, who was saying that he was too freaked to head home, or to sleep. Hey, we were watching this at 1 AM! LOL.

But I do notice the Rei/Asuka part. At least in the fact that it's still Asuka...but she was acting like Rei, not to mention that she had Rei's bandages, but on the other side and mirror imaged. Wierd.

6. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Just a side thought, did any of the angel's names have any signifigance? I am not too big on religion, so, I wouldn't know. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Ramiel...

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Yes, they did.

I don't have it on me at the moment, but I checked my Dictionary of Angels for fun one day to see if they were in there, and sure enough, most of them were. Some entries have an odd resemblance to their series counterparts. Some angels didn't appear or showed up with similar but not identical names, and some angels had entries that had seemingly no connection to what they do on the show.

But regardless, in a little more than a week, I'll do a complete post of all the entries I found.

8. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

I thought that their names were very religious-sounding. SO, did the 4rth angel look the same in the book? That one always amused me.

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Er, its not really a book with lots of pictures. And even in that book, they aren't the bizarre creatures of NGE.

Besides, a lot of those angels are angels of the apocalypse.

Unless I missed something when I last slept in, nobody has seen those. Hence, no picture.

10. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

Just wondering, is there any big religious symbolisation to the sea being red in ep.12?

11. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Well, one of the plagues of Egypt was turning the sea and rivers and water into blood. But then, Moses was fighting for the freedom of slaves, so...I don't know. Good point though.

12. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

************Spoiler************

A possible reference to "freeing" all of the world's souls, maybe?

************End***************

13. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

I think this thread should be stickyed, by the way. Important resource. :)

14. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

Indeed... i think one of my friends is getting hooked on NGE & he hasnt even seen the series yet, just the whole religeous side & him wondering why the bible didnt say anything about Lilith... or is that just the beer talking? (him, not me... im sober now... unfortunatly :( )

15. evilmutantman

evilmutantman New Member

also, in the book of revelations, one of the 'seven angels' turned a third of the world's waters into blood, an i think that was just as the Apocalypse was starting

first time ive read any part of the bible, if I got anything (aka everything) wrong, don't blame it on me! Blame it on a perfectly suitable scapegoat!

16. Karinka

Karinka Guest

Bleh...I'm not Christian. I do find the book of Revelations quite interesting though. I expeccially like the 6 winged angels and the 4 angels tied up at the Euphrates....I'm not Christian, though...I have encountered some pagan-like things in the bible though. You see, I'm pagan....X/1999 is quite like Revelations too. The 7 seals and the 7 angels....Interesting, huh?

17. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

Thanks for sharing... but what has it got to do with the thread? :)

18. TomAnthony

TomAnthony New Member

Koworu refered to humans as 'Lillum',the demon children of Lillith in ep.24.When Lillith was living by the red sea giving birth to these children (over 100 a day) God sent 3 angels to retrieve her and return to Adam.Their names were Senoy,Sansenoy and Samangelof*(*who i think appears in the volcano epp,some possible connection there).When the 3 found Lillith living by the red sea.they exchanged some dialouge.This dialouge I got from a link in one of Slydice's post:

"How can I die," Lilith asked again, "when God has ordered me to take charge of all newborn children: boys up to the eighth day of life, that of circumcision; girls up to the twentieth day. None the less, if ever I see your three names or likenesses displayed in an amulet above a newborn child, I promise to spare it." To this they agreed; but God punished Lilith by making one hundred of her demon children perish daily; and if she could not destroy a human infant, because of the angelic amulet, she would spitefully turn against her own.

This might explain why Lillith turned against her own children (the Lillum i.e us)during 2nd Impact and why god could be sending Angels to eradicate Lillith's demon children i.e,the Lillum i.e,us.

That all I got.

19. Fushigi Rockna

Okay, since I'm too lazy to read what you guys have already stated, this is what *I* know.

1) All the Eva's are supposingly modeled after Bablonian gods/demons, blah, blah, blha. Eva Unit 02,is SO modeled after Murduk. Why? Murduk had four ears, 2 mouths and FOUR EYES. Unit 02 has 4 eyes and can also be symbolized with the big red dog murduk. :p Okay, that's just me being dumb. Also, on the Rebirth Audio commentary, Talieson Jaffe was asked about what Bablonian god Unit 01 was modeled after. These are 'almost' his exact words.
    I forget the rest of the crap he said from there but yeah, he mentioned soemthing about the demon being brutal I believe, like Unit 01 (once again, angels taste like chicken!) I ahven't figured out Eva 00, but if anyone can or can tell me that one horned demon's name, I will be most grateful. :)

2) Talieson also mentioned that a Japanese man he once tlaked to was saying that Shinji and Asuka's relaitonship I guess symbolizes the Destruction of the walls of Jericho (not the wreslter! ;) Like the relationship between Jericho and Joshua) He was syaing that the man couldn't speak good english but was really trying as hard as he could to explain it cause it seemed importantr. So anyone that figures that one out, please tell me and find Talieson at a convention some time. :D

3) The seven eyes of god is mentioned alot of course. But you guys alreayd mentioned it. The only thing I will mention is thta's also Seele's symbol and when you add the 3 eva units eyes, you get seven eyes (Unit 00 has 1, Unit 01 has 2 and Unit 02 has 4)

4) The angel's names do have signifince. Realize how most of them tend to end with el? Well, the third angel's name was Sachiel right? That menas he was the angel of Birds I beleve, in some language (maybe german or the bible :rolleyes: ) The 5th angel (I forget the name) is the Angel of the Sun, the one Asuka first went up against was the Angel of Fish, the one next was the Angels of Music and Poetry, and that acid eye ball is the Pocaso Angel. :D jk

5) Keel could possibly be the wandering Jew, or Kane, who would certainly knew where Lilith was if he used to shag her back in the good ol days of Nad (am I spelling that right?) :D

There's a whole lot more, but I will continue it a bit later. And yes I get most of my info form the Eva audio commentary. :p

Edit: Oh yes, forgot to mention about 'Ghost Buster's' Rei (aka Lilith) She had holes in her hands, to suck up all the souls of people on Earth. :p Guess where that's from.
    Also I'll ahve you all know, eveyrone in thta show's last anmes, were all the names of Japanese war ships used during World War 2, (katsuragi, Ikari, Ayanami etc.) For the oddest reasons, I ahve this feeling that Katsuragi was the one that bombed Pearl Harbour, or helped in the bombing (cause they dodn't use shisp for bombing) cause i remember hearing it in History class but I was flal asleep. All I know is that it rings a bell. And Ayanami makes some sense, form what I've learnt Nami is a girls name that means wave (like Namie Amuro). Don't know if it's a word for wave, but it sure would amke sense for a Japanese war ship, since also in girl's names, Aya means night. ^^
    Once again, some stuff has slipped my mind...

20. Fushigi Rockna

Just remembered some stuff, hate ta double post but yeah. ^^

*technically I am on 8 if you count thos other two snipets I gave in an edit.

8) The chamber of guff, where souls who don't have body are. In Evangelion with is used as a chamber where all the souless Rei clones are, then Ritsuko decapitates them all. :p

9)The 3 goddess metaphor is used with twice in Eva. First tiem it is to symbolize Rei, Asuka and Misato, the three women in Shinji's life that matter. The other one would be that only 3 Rei clones ever had souls.

10) This is soemthing stupid I pciked up. There is obviously NO reference to Greece or Roman myths in Eva, however, I tend to think Shinji will stood up against his ftaher and betrayed him, had his Eva bite his head off but first his ftaher betrayed him *coughcoughzeusandchronuscoughcough* :D

11) Pen-Pen must ahve some reason for being there... maybe Anno liked Penguins...

12) NERV's motto (under their leaf thingy) is "God's in his heaven, all right in the world." That's from a poem which is all abhotu spring an dhow pretty life is, blah, blah, blah. It's... fluffy... Starnge that it's the motto of a company that brigns about the acoplyse. (shuddup you people who wnat to prove me wrong, I'm said that because I'm a stupid head I know really who brought on third impact, shuddup.)

13) Why was Lilith cut in half in EoE? Because it's Lilith's sad fate to ALWAYS get cut in half. All the time. Boo hoo.

14) This is my favorite metaphor. From the episode Asuka and Shinji have to synchornize. heehee, when Shinji tries to get some, realize how fast his tape is going? :D Heehee, just like his poor heart

Ugh now I've forgotten some again! Rats!