Neon Genesis Evangelion Religious Links/Symbols??

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Dark Phire, Oct 9, 2002.

1. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

One thing is that the characters are all built up from three main religions: Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. Though they may have the name given from a certain religion, they're really all three. And honestly, if you study the holy books of these three religions, they're suprisingly similar. I myself havent researched Christianity as much as I would have liked, (yeah, I know I'm a major dork, I study for fun), so I can't differentiate much between the different types of Christianity as far as the older stories, since they're mostly the same, right? Anyhoo, as stated before, Lilith is "Demonchild" thingy, in christianity. What seems to be the same character in the Torah however is depicted as "a savior from hell" kind of thing. The Quran presents teh character as very controverial as far as evil or good, but he seems a threat to humans, more like a penalty.

So... yeah. ^_^ What have y'all found about this?

2. Snake

Snake Member

holy shitz0r
    i just read the entire topic
    i'm new here guys and i've been really into evangelion lately
    it's been extremely interesting readin' all this stupid u posted guys :D
    btw: it's "God in his Heaven, all rights with the world" ;)

over and out

3. Fushigi Rockna

Didn't I say that? Or are you correcting my typos? o_O

Oh, btw, i figured out something either Unit 00 or Unit 01 has got to eb Tiamat. Tiamat was a dragon goddss that was the gods enemy in bablonian patheon. She defeated by Marduk (this was how he becamne leadr of the gods). It's one fot eh two, maybe Rei... sicne she turned against Gendo, but Unit 01 was the key to the acolypse... and doesn't the relatonship between Shinji and Asuka remind you of one guy (Shinji) being defeated and now afriad of the one that defeated him (Asuka). The relationship between Reia nd Asuka kinda symbolizes Tiamat and Marduk as well...

And I looked into it, it doens't seem as surprising for Unit 01 to be considered Ishtar. Ishtar was very violent, (lik Unit 01). She was also a goddess of fertility and love (this might symbolize the fact that shinji's mother's soul is th soul of Unit 01, and that's motherly love all over it). So yeah I'm leaning towards that now too...

So I figure this with the units. Unit 00 = Tiamat, Unit 01 = Ishtar, Unit 02 = Marduk. All veyr important to Babylonian patheon.

4. Paladin

Paladin New Member

first, this thread was really cool because i have the Princess Mononoke CD on.

next, what does the tree symbolize? the tree with the NERV symbol on it...in the intro...yeah...

5. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

That tree is the cabbalistic Tree of Life. Better known as the Sephiroth. And each major circle represents a kind of aspect of getting closer to godhood, or the road to God...or some other higher being.

The braches, from bottom to top, from left to right...it's: Kingdom (Otherwise known as Reality), Victory, Foundation, Glory, Mercy, Beauty, Severity, Wisdom, Knowledge, Understanding, and the Crown.

Kinda explains, too, why Sephiroth in FFVII acts the way he does. He achieves, at least, some of those...which is why he falls short of attaining the highest form. Well, at least, that's what I think.

Oh, yes, here's the link to more information about the Sephiroth.

http://tzion.org/Tree_of_life.htm

6. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Also, they each represent a character in Evangelion. I can't remember exactly, I did this some years ago... but I do remember teh names we came up with were teh nagative versions of the ones you listed. Wierd. That's pretty cool about teh Sephiroth thing, I never noticed that!