Neon Genesis Evangelion Religious Links/Symbols??

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Dark Phire, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

i have a cousin named that..

eep

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Heh, like a lot of things, it could be translated in a multitude of ways. A favorite of mine was "A New Beginning: The Teaching of Religion". Well, Evangelion sounded better, so I kept it at that. And as far as the series goes, I think a lot of it fits.

And Chowmein, a post about that is on my own post in page one. :D

3. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

hiho

:glazed: holy fudge....are you people researching this stuff?? gah! this is so creepy...

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Shin Seiki was *made* to be creepy. The religious symbols that appear are meant to strike a nerve in just about anyone. A whole lot of religions get touched on, that's why it's so controversial. If it wasn't like that, it wouldn't have garnered near as much attention, or near as much impact as it had.

5. Kaneda_345

Kaneda_345 The Star Stealing Boy

He was supposed to be Cain.

6. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

This is like all really interesting to read and stuff, before I came across his thread, I did notice a lot of religious references and such. ^^ Though I still look to Angel Sanctuary for some controversial religious stuff. I mean, transvestite demons and playboy angels and incest, c'mon! ^^ It's always interesting to see how people twist and turn religion to make it so much more interesting than boring Sunday School or something. Well, s'my opinion at least.

7. Dark Phire

Dark Phire New Member

it was either cain, as mentioned above, or i do believe he was also said to be the Wandering Jew who lives forever, awaitin for jesus' return, and the only way to end his life/wandering is 3rd impact....i really forget the rest...i watched to commentary so long ago...

another interesting thing is when misato and shinji are in the parking garage, the number of it is 667, the neighbor of the beast

8. willlau99

willlau99 Guest

where is this commentary from?

9. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Yeah, there you go Dark, it was the Wandering Jew dude. I don't think it would've been Cain because he'd have a more major part than trying to usher the Third Impact faster.

10. Dark Phire

Dark Phire New Member

then death and rebirth, and end of eva DVD's manga ent. released ^_^. Amanda Win Lee (voice of am. rei), her hubby, and some other guy did it. was quite entertaining

11. NeoSlicerZ

NeoSlicerZ New Member

the religious links were really obvious with the angels and teh explosions which are cross shaped.. never though THIS deep into it though

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

That's the beautiful thing about Eva, there's always something else to discover if you want to dig a little deeper...

13. evilmutantman

evilmutantman New Member

so does the AT field, 'holy area which noone can enter' (or something) have any deep religious roots? or am i being completely gormless to an obvious fact as usual?

14. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

The series labels the AT field, Absolute Terror field, as a barrier which wraps around the soul. It's what keeps us individualistic and always seeking to have someone else, to negate that AT field. Sort of.

Basically, if we didn't have the AT field, we would become LCL mush, much like everyone else did at the End of Evangelion. Since Shinji decided to do so, everyone turned into LCL, and made a world where only he an' Asuka would be alive...though I'm a firm believer that everyone will be resurrected by coming out of the pool in the end.

In any case, you see that happening in the final episodes of the TV series too. When Shinji is in his own mind questioning himself, doubting himself, and such...the barrier to his heart is gone, allowing people to help each other and such. Which is why I think those close to him play a big part in rehabilitating Shinji in the TV series ending.

15. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

threads like this make me shudder, with loads of lemmings falling over themselves to dive off into the deep end of pseudo intellectualism. Perhaps I'll get around to replying to this, though I am in no real hurry to join the drowning masses

*amount-of-time-it-takes-to-read-everything later..

heh, well most everything's been covered. Regarding the AT field, I keep hearing that teh Absolute Terror field is a term in psychology referring to the barrier those with high egos or autism erect around themselves. I must admit that I am a little doubtful though, as the only places that say this are Eva sites, likely parroting each other. I have found no reference of an AT field on any non eva site, leading me to suspect that it's bunk. Please prove me wrong though, it won't be the first time.

16. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I do believe that the Absolute Terror Field was invented for Evangelion as a technobabble plot device, as Eva sites are the *only* ones I've seen mentioning it.

17. evilmutantman

evilmutantman New Member

about keel lorentz being the wondering jew:

im taking this from another website, but still...

"Note: Some people think that he is the Wandering Jew, but this is not the case. The main reason being that we see a young Keel in the Evangelion Episode 21 flashbacks and the 'Wandering Jew' is not supposed to age."

i have no idea if this is true, i cant remember that episode, but hey, just thought id throw that in there!

18. MrNewtype

MrNewtype New Member

Nephilim_X:

I do believe that the theory of Lillith refusing to accept an inferior status to Adam is the correct one. As far as I can remember it is the classical one. I am open however to the notion that she may have just been independent to some extent and this has been overly focused on as the issue of women's rights etc. is a more modern one. I don't think they concerned themselves with it as such severl thousand years ago.

19. evilmutantman

evilmutantman New Member

Ooh! Ooh! I just realised something!! the entry plugs are inserted into the back of the eva's neck, and apparently when satan/samael (or whatever the name is) removed souls, he'd doit through the back of the neck. i dunno, just seemed weird

20. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but Longingus is the Roman centurion who stabbed Jesus with his spear/lance.

(translation differs between Lance of Longingus and Spear of Longingus)