Japanese Speaking Japanese

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrunkLeprachaun, May 6, 2002.

1. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

hehe it's just, well, i get really paraniod easy, and NO ONE greets a clerk...it's like asking for death...or at least giving the right to stare at you the entire time. i'm sure that some people mean well, it's just...it's so rare....hehehehe

yes, true proper english normally isn't spoken. Unless you teach english. i don't think i could give many proper sentance or grammer structures, but, i can telly ou how something would be said like an american. *^-^* and well, drunkenlerpechaun can give an irish view. (irish, aussies, americans! oh my!)*^-^* but, here i am, coping vash's post....hmm...maybe i can help with contractions....example--> Can't = can not. *^-^* cause i remember tho being hard when i was in school, or else my teachers couldn't teach worth crap. *^-^*

2. Inu-Girl

Inu-Girl New Member

Mikko I'm confused is Kansai-ben like how some people speak in a curtain places in Japan I forgot where, or is it like slang??? I would love to know some slang terms, that would be really cool since some times when my friends at Japan are talking they talk in slag and It can really confuse me. But at the same time my gradparents wouldn't be that happy with me. Sorry I 'm asking all these questions, and here's the last one... Does dachi mean tomodachi, I'm pretty sure it is but better safe than sorry.

Ja matta ne.

3. Mikko

Mikko New Member

Oh, thank you for helping me a lot, everyone:)

Hmmm.., Sorry I don't know any easy ways to master Japanese letters.... I think to write them again and again is the best way though it's not easy. You can make some cards too to remember them. By the way, do you often say "I haven't......" when you want to say" I don't have .....". I think you'll help me a lot:)))

When I was in elementary school, to say f*** you showing your middle finger was popular among boys. Japanese thought the act was cool because we were influenced by Hollywood movies. I think it's too dangerous. I don't know Tokyo Breakfast, but I think the Japanese used offensive words very casually. It's a problem... There is a fashion bland called b***h in Japan. All the products of the brand have the logo...

Thanks for teaching me some expressions:) I love Australian English because my English teacher was from Australia. I learned "How'z it goin', mate?", "beautiful(yummy)", "I'm gonna have tea(I'll eat dinner) etc.

Kansai language is a slang, which is spoken around Kinki area. Kinki area consists of Hyogo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Mie, Shiga and Wakayama. They are in middle Japan.

Yes, dachi means friends/tomodachi, but I hardly use it. Speaking of Tomodachi, we often use "merutomo". It's a shortened form of the Japanese word "meeru tomodachi", which means"e-mail friends/pals. We call e-mail meeru. This is the latest stuff:)

My friends and I often use "majide?". This means "Really?" or "For real?" You can use this word whenever you are surprized. I think this is very popular esp. among young people and it's cool:)

I wanted to ask you this, but what does slam shady mean? I'll post again soon;)

Teruyo

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Re: Oh, thank you for helping me a lot, everyone:)

Yeesh! I find it disheartening when people decide vulgar behavior and cursing is "cool". But then again, fads are all based on mindsets, so who can really say what's "cool" and what's "not"?

To answer your question (as I would think it was meant), I think what you're looking for is slim shady. Although I don't know the origins behind it, I can say that it's a nickname that the American rapper Eminem uses frequently when referring to himself...(i.e. Will the Real Slim Shady Please Stand Up?, My Name Is...) I myself have no idea what it means, other than referencing him... can anyone answer it more clearly for me, too? :)

5. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

Re: Oh, thank you for helping me a lot, everyone:)

Slim Shady is an american rapper. he's pretty popular i guess. rap mixed with alot of humor, sarcasm, and angst. the models of american society...lol i would download some first to see if you like that kind of stuff or not...

6. Vash

Vash New Member

Just a quickie Mikko. 'Haven't' is just 'Have not' and you can't completely substitute it for 'I don't have' which is 'I do not have'. If you were using it in a sentence like 'I don't have a computer' you wouldn't just say 'I haven't a computer' as a rule, because although there's nothing wrong with it grammatically and people would understand what you mean, it sounds sort of quaint and unusual, not like normal people would speak. You'd say 'I haven't got a computer'.

thanks a bunch for the slang!

mata

7. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

true dat...it's just a thing that you use your better thought on...if it sounds better to you is how i think of most grammer...*^-^* makes it alot easier(it did in school anyways, and that was a very good class for me..lol)

8. Vash

Vash New Member

Ohayo uchi no merutomo-ra!

Bloodberry, there are mnemonics to help with learning the kana, Legato used them when he taught me. I think if you find a book aimed at schoolkid beginners, rather than adults, it will be more likely to include them. Legato came up with a lot of his own, like hiragana 'ku' looking like a 'koo'-kaburra's laughing beak. My favourite was 'ne'. He wrote next to it "'ne' looks nothing at all like a basketball 'net'". For some reason that made it really easy to remember!

Mikko, one of the problems with speaking idiomatic English is that it varies so much from one place to the next. I'll give you an example sentence and see what the other posters make of it. They can say if people would say it where they come from. OK. A way of saying that something has been happening for a long time is 'It's (i.e. it has) been that way since forever.' or 'It's been like that since always' or, to be really Australian, 'It's been like that for yonks.' or more commonly, 'It's been like that for ages'. The first two are technically really crappy grammar, but it's how people often actually speak.
    Contractions relating to 'it'. If you mean 'belonging to it' you leave out the apostrophe (its). If you write "it's" it means either 'it is' or 'it has'.
    Are you familiar with Trigun and Inuyasha? If so, go visit the Trigun forum and find Wolfwood's 'Vash Skywalker' thread. It has a brilliant comparison between the two in there.

mata

9. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Oh boy, I haven't checked this forum in a while! Thanks, Mikko!

I do live in montreal! I can tell you exactly what Slim Shady is, you see, Eminem's real name is Marshall Mathers and his rapping name is Slim Shady. Eminem is his band, his group.

Also, Eminem comes from "M&M" Marshall Mathers. Anyway, I want to learn more Japanese and learn much more about the culture, so I'm so gald you found your way to M2A, Mikko!

10. Mikko

Mikko New Member

Hi!!

Thank you everyone again for helping me out. I understand what Slim Shady means. I didn't know why Eminem is called Eminem and I understand it too:) It's really interesting. I heard his songs contained many slangs regardless they are nice or not. Do native speakers understand his songs completely?

Thank you vash! My Finnish penpal sometimes said 'I haven't something' and I was a bit curious about it. I learned the present perfect tense like "I haven't got a computer" when I was in junior high. We don't have such a thing in a Japanese grammar, so I needed much time to understand the idea.

I think 'It's been that way since forever' and such are cool:) Thank you:) I've written down the four sentences in my notebook.

I'm not so familiar with Trigun now, but I'll visit "Vash Skywalker" thread soon.

I'll tell you some slangs.
    'Panikuru' means to be confused. This verb comes from an English word, panic. In Japanese, we say panikku as panic and panikku plus ru(Japanese verbs often end with ru.) is panikuru. This is used by young people and isn't kansai-ben.

Charinko means bikes. This is very popular. Charitsu is a shortened form of Cyarinko tsugaku. Tsugaku means to go to school. So 'Uchi Charitsu yanen(kansai-ben) means I go to school by bike:) Charitsu is not kansai-ben either.

I gotta go now! I'm in our univ's computer room now and it'll close soon. I'll post more soon.

Honjya matana!
    Mikko

11. Inu-Girl

Inu-Girl New Member

The whole middle finger thing reminded me of the movie Mr. Deeds, and the butler and how he snaped his fingers then flicked that guy off.

I love Eminem's new song even though I forgot the title. But I think the music video is stupid. It's the song the go's "Guess who's back, back again, guess who's back, guess who's back..."

(Majide is like my favorite phrase.)

12. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

the song is called "without me" and the video is, like everything else he does, making fun of the music industry and other things...(note the kid buying his cd, unedited, without the clerk stopping him...) and, i think most native speakers understand the songs...they just really don't care is all i can guess...eminem isn't the deepest stuff out there....certainly better stuff around, imho.*^-^*

13. Vash

Vash New Member

Thanks heaps Mikko! I'm adding 'panikuru' to my list. I was watching a fansub of Full Metal Panic yesterday (do you like FMP? it's one of my favourites, especially the episode where Sagara is grappling with a dating sim) and I noticed a character saying 'majide', and I knew what they meant, thanks to you!

I've got some peculiarly Aussie slang for you. You may already know it! I don't know what a casual Japanese substitute would be for 'Dou itashimashite' (maybe ii yo?) but where an American might say 'No problem' when you say 'thanks' for something an Australian is more likely to say 'no worries'. 'No worries' is what we say if we're politely acknowledging thanks. That would be like saying 'shinpai suru na' whenever someone thanked you, I think. Of course my Japanese isn't too crash hot, so I'm not sure.

Wolfwood and I are having problems with Legato. He keeps calling us 'Osaka baka'. We tell him 'Tokyo boke ya'.

Matana!

14. Vash

Vash New Member

Blush....

Mikko, I have a couple of favours to ask, translation-wise. I don't think either of them are related to Kansai-ben.
    The first one is no biggie. What does the phrase 'nandemo kandemo' mean? I've come across it a couple of times and the second part means nothing to me. Dictionaries aren't very helpful when it comes to some things.

Eh to... possible Japanese and definite English swearing spoiler space....

What does 'inu koro' mean? I've seen it translated as both 'dog turd (s***)' and 'son of a b***h'

I hope I'm not out of line here.

Gomen, if so.

15. sniperx

sniperx New Member

dont really care for eminem .. I like the Real Rap like N.A.S , Ludicrous and lots of others...

oh yea anyway mikko can u teach me some more Japanese words please just email them to me aznmofiasentine@hotmail.com I know a little bit of japanese but not that much i know the counting though ..
    ich, ni , son , shi , go .roko , sishi , hachi ..Thats basically all i know but i want to learn more..

16. Mikko

Mikko New Member

I was posting yesterday, but my typing speed was so slow that I couldn't... Now I have enough time to post. Whew.

IMHO is a new word for me. Thank you, Bloodberry!! I haven't seen Eminem's music video. I just have heard "Slim Shady" thing in US last year.

I don't know FMP, but it's very nice you find the word so soon! "Majide" is really hot here now.

I use "Dou itashimasite" when someone thanks me or apilogize to me. For example, when someone thanks you, you'll say "Dou itashimasite" as "Not at all", "Don't mension it", "Your welcome" and "It's my pleasure". When someone apologizes you, you'll say it as "Never mind", "That's all right" and such. Thank you I find "No worries" in my dictionary. It sounds cool and I've never used that expression.

"Osaka baka" is a humilitating phrase for Osaka people because baka is used by people from other area. We use 'aho' instead' of baka.

When you abuse someone, you can use these dengerous Kansai-ben expressions.
    Aho means baka(fool, idiot)
    Doaho means very baka
    Ahondara means very very baka

"Nandemo kandemo" means everything. Kandemo is not important and it just emphasizes nandemo. it's like dokey in okey-dokey.

"Inu koro" means doggy or puppy basically. but in the situation you mentioned, it seems to be used as a dirty word. It's like "Your dirty dog!"

I'll post some useful dirty kansai-ben soon!!

Hanja matana!
    Mikko

17. Vash

Vash New Member

Your dictionary has 'no worries'? That's a good dictionary!

Thanks for the help Mikko, I look forward to more Kansai-ben that will assist me in getting into fights in the future! I've read that 'dabo' is even ruder than 'do aho'. Chau?

I noticed something that we do in English that I was wondering if it occurs in Japanese too, where we exaggerate things. The example I was thinking of is that I asked Legato to 'Kill the airconditioner' meaning 'Turn it off'. It's quite a common turn of phrase, and is often used in reference to electrical appliances.

Has 'imho' been explained to you already? What the hell, just in case it hasn't it stands for 'in my humble opinion'. The 'humble' part is often meant ironically.

How come 'koro' isn't in any of my dictionaries? Is it a slang term only?

18. Mikko

Mikko New Member

Thank you! I didn't think it's irony. So Bloodberry wanted to say that she(?) dislikes/hates/detests Eminem, right? Sniperx hates him too? LOL! I don't like him so much either:) I know R. Kelly, Ja Rule, DMX, Nelly etc. But I can't understand the lyrics... I'll send nice Japanese to you later, Sniperx.

Dabo? I've never heard it. I know Daho. Daho is like Do aho. I think Ahondara is rude as Daho.

No, we don't kill an airconditioner:) It's funny you say like that:))
    We kill a taste, breath(hold one's breath), yawn(suppress a yawn) etc.

To kill is 'korosu' in Japanese. Bukkorosu/bukkorosuzo means 'I'll kill you'. You can use this expression when you argue with someone. This is not a Kansai-ben.

I find very dangerous Kansai-ben expression.
    'Ondore, Naniyattonjya, sibakuzo'
    Ondore means you in a very rude way. It's like 'Hey, you!!'
    'Nani yattonjya' means What the **** are you doin?'
    'Sibakuzo' means 'I'll hit/punch/kick/slap you'
    You can use these words separately:)
    Errr..., I'm becoming a bad girl...

I don't know what koro means. I can't find the word in my dictionary. I was able to find only inu koro. Korokoro means chubby in Japanese and it may come from the word. You know, puppies are chubby:) I love dogs.

Honja mata!
    Mikko

19. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

yes, she is correct*^-^* and the use of the word "kill' that knives is referring to is called a double meaning. kill, well the first meaning is easy, but the common slang meaning is 'to turn off' to ask someone to turn off the lights you'd say "kill the lights" *^-^*
    the imho thing you'll find randomly around the internet(at least the english sites*^-^*) in my humble opinion(imho), laughing out loud(lol), rolling on the floor laughing out loud(roflol) for your information(fyi) by the way(btw) and such...*^-^* just makes for less typing and quicker conversations.

20. Kat

Kat New Member

Mikko! Anata wa kajikoi, kimi no "english" wa sugoi. Watashi wa baka... NANDE!!! Lol, anyways I really don't know that much japanese, but your english is amazing Mikko! Your my hero, I wish my english was that good, hehe.