Japanese Speaking Japanese

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrunkLeprachaun, May 6, 2002.

1. Vash

Vash New Member

Great stuff, Mikko! Am I being a bad influence here?!

Are you familiar with the idiomatic meaning of 'whatever'? If you watch American stuff at all you could hardly avoid it, and it gets used a lot over here. There's the original,dictionary, meaning that you will be familiar with and which is pretty neutral, but the meaning of the word has expanded a lot over recent years to often be used in a rude or confronting way. If someone makes a statement, or even asks a question, that someone doesn't agree with the person might reply 'whatever', in a flat tone. The meaning is basically 'I don't think what you just said deserves a proper reply' and can mean 'what you just said was a load of rubbish' or 'I can't be bothered arguing with you about this matter'. It's rude and dismissive anyway, without actually involving any specific insult. Of course, like most things it all depends on how you say it. If you say it in a lighter tone you just sound agreeable!

Is there some special Kansai relevance to the sum of 3 million yen? I've just heard the phrase 'sanbyaku man en' a couple of times recently!

mata!

2. JimiSpandex

JimiSpandex New Member

I must also compliment Mikko on her excellent english. Kudos! I can barely speak Irish as well as you can speak english and i've been studying it for 13 years :)

I only have a few phrases of japanese, not nearly enough to have a conversation, I get strange looks off of people when I say "baka ne" in the pub (they don't watch anime) :)

3. Mikko

Mikko New Member

Grrrrrrrrr...

Hi all!!

I'm so sad because I can't find my post I posted yesterday! It seems I failed to do that!! OMG!!

4. Mikko

Mikko New Member

Hi all! Now I found why I failed to post here. I wrote too much and this site wasn't able to manage it:)))

Bloodberry, I love LOL:)) I often find this in the net:) BTW, do you know what WRS mean? I found this at a penpal site.

Hi Kat! I love your Japanese:) Do they speak English in your country? I'm really curious if there are any people who aren't from the country where they speak English:) Like me:)))

5. Mikko

Mikko New Member

Does kudos mean glory?

It's kewl that you know and use baka ne:) If you are a girl, it's no problem:) If a man use this, I can say he is a gay for sure. LOL!!
    You can say"Aho yana" if you want to say this in Kansai dialect:)

I love whatever:) I often hear this in English movies and TV dramas etc. But, I didn't know the latter meaning. What you told to me was exactly what I wanted to know cause I can't find it in my dictionary! It's interesting that the word changes the meaning by voice tones.

6. Mikko

Mikko New Member

Yes, sanbyaku man en means 3 million yen. It's a standard Japanese and I don't know the kansai ben for it.

Here is an interesting kansai dialect about money:)
    Imagine you are buying an apple, which costs 300 yen, at a fruit shop in Osaka:) You bring it to a middle-aged female shop clerk to buy it. Then, she may say"sanbyaku man en desu(3 million yen please). This is a traditional kansai joke. Don't ask her why. People from other areas are often surprized at this cause they don't know this custom. What you should do is just to behave as if you are paying 3 million yen with 3 100-yen coins:) Osaka people love those who understand thier jokes.

Have a nice vacation everyone! Bai bai!!!

7. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

heh voice tones...it's all in your voice...tho, from what i understand, it's the same in japanese too...a change can make a sentance a question..*^-^*wrs? hmm.....not sure...i've never heard that one...as for kydos...it's sort of slang for good job...it's like saying to someone, "good for you!" just a little compliment...*^-^* so, he's just congradulating(i know this is spelled wrong...lol) you on your good english...and i was wondering, instead of baka ne, what does it mean if you were to say baka ni? i have a shirt with that on it..and well...i understand baka...it's one of my most used words...but what does it mean with the ni at the end?

(it's 3:35 am...eep...i should sleep...yes, sleep...lol with the hyper cats chibi and lupin to bother me at 5...sigh...)

8. JimiSpandex

JimiSpandex New Member

Kudos is greek for magical glory or honour bestowed upon one who is deserving. When I use it is just a congratulation, like well done, its not used that often to be honest.

I am not gay by the way :), how does using "baka ne" make me gay? (Don't worry you're not the first person to think i am what with the spandex and all)

I will show you some Irish now, Shut up = Dún do bhéil (pronounced "dune duh veil"), thank you = Go raibh míle maith agat (pronounced "guh rev meela mah agut") hello = dia dhuit (deea gwit)

haven't a clue what wrs means :(

btw Mikko, the primary language laid out by the constitution of the Irish republic states that our primary language is Irish, but english is used by 95% of the country, we have areas called the "Gaeltacht" (literally meaning irish area) where Irish is the language primarily used, unfortunately these areas are in decline :(

9. Mikko

Mikko New Member

Thanks! I love kudos. I've never heard it before or I didn't catch it... It sounds cool:))

Baka ni... I think it means for baka or to baka... It sounds strange:) How did you get that?

Baka ne is used by girl. The last word ne is a point and it's used by girls:) So if men say baka ne, it's like they are a girl. Or the person could be gay because gay people use girl words here. If you say baka, it's no problem. If you want to say it strongly, say baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaka. Lol. I'm not making fun of you.

Go raibh míle maith agat! It's the first time to learn Ilish:) Does only Irish understand the phrase? I don't have any Irish friend around here:(((

Oh, it's so sad that they don't speak Irish there so much and the language is on the decline...

10. Mikko

Mikko New Member

Shut up!: Jyakamashi!
    Thank you: ookini (pronounced ohkini)
    hello: konnichiwa

Ookini!!

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i got it from an online comic...you might like it...*^-^* megatokyo
    though, it is about strange people...hehehe
    cool....i was wondering about how to say thank you...

12. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Subarasii! Kansai-ben no hanasu hito ga iru!
    Yoroshuu tanomimanga na!

1nen kan nihongo wo benkyou siteimasita. Saikin ha kansai jin wo sagasiteimasita.

And now I return from my long sojourn...

YATTA! I humbly look forward to receiving instruction!

Ok, I suppose I better introduce myself, I'm UrashimaKeitaro, Mod around these parts. Not for my Japanese skill by any stretch of the imagination. I've been studying for a whole year now, but I've been slacking recently, for my job in the wilderness left me without japanese companionship to practice with... So please forgive my lack of skill!

-UK
    ~~~~~~~~
    starts looking like a sponge... I'm ready Sensei!

13. JimiSpandex

JimiSpandex New Member

OK, i will leave out the "ne" from now on :)

I'm afraid only Irish people understand Irish, but the Irish diaspora(emigrant descendants) are in virtually every english speaking country in the world, they may understand it but I doubt it :( , ookini for the phrases, i think i have heard "arigato" used for thank you before, does it also mean thanks?

And yes gay people talk like girls here too :)

14. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Ookini, Mikko-chan! (If I may)

As for Megatokyo I love it! I've been following it for at least 2 years now!

I think alot of M2A members know about it already, but I'm aways glad when somebody mentions that beautiful site!

15. Mikko

Mikko New Member

I visited Megatokyo! It's a very cool site, isn't it? It's sad the site is a bit heavy and I can't go there easily... Anyways, the t-shirts are awesome!!! But, why do their names contain so many numbers?

Dia dhuit !!I will use some Irish words you taught me in this forum:))) I hope I can meet Irish people soon:)

Oh, I forgot explaining an important thing. Ookini and Jyakamashi are Kansai dialects, which means they are not standard Japanese. Arigato means ookini:) I don't have to explain konnichiwa cause everyone knows it:)

Konnichiwa Urashima Keitaro! Great! Your Japanese is perfect:))) I was moved:) I can help you to learn Kansai ben here. I'll post some nice'n'cool Kansai ben again soon!!!

Meccha genki Mikko:D :D :D

16. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

hehe the number thing...ok, the numbers actually make words...it's called eleet speak...like the word eleet...is writeen 1337...or 31337 i've seen it both ways...it's a computer person thing i guess...the 3 looks like an E but backwards..hehe it's...and odd thing to learn...but fun.*^-^* like megatokyo you be written in 1337 as (this is the fun stuff) |\/| 3 9 4 7 0 |< y 0 hehe...i put a space between each letter to make it a bit easier...that's just one way to write it too...there are others one here that know it better than i do... i was wondering, how would you say tubby bastard in japanese? well, or fat that works too...don't mind me, i mutter in the little japanese i know when i'm at work....hehe baka is my most used word i swear...

17. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

iya iya! kanpeki jya nai! Thank you for the compliment, but I am undeserving of such praise. I'm really looking forward to learning Kansai-ben! I wanna talk *COOL* Japanese! 8-]

-UK

18. JimiSpandex

JimiSpandex New Member

I am fluent in l33t 5p34k

1337 comes from the word elite

some letters are replaced with numbers, words are spelt in an extreme phonetic fashion, pronunciations are also corrupted.

ph33r m3h ub4r l33+ 5K!11Z - fear my uber leet skills

19. Mikko

Mikko New Member

Thank you all!!

1337 thing is very cool for me:)))) I'm very happy to know such a underworld stuff. I wasn't able to find any site which explains 1337, so people here will be my teacher:))))

Tubby bastard is debu in Japanese. It's very popular word:)

jimi spandex... I can't understand the last sentence....

I'll tell you nice kansai ben:)

Akantare: chicken/coward
    I don't like to be called like this. Lol!!

Erai koccha: when you hear or see something very serious, you'll use this.
    ex A girl:I've heard your daughter were kidnapped.
    A boy: Erai koccha!!!

Happy chatting!!!

Meccha genki Mikko

20. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

ph33r m3h ub4r l33+ 5K!11Z - fear my uber leet skills

ok, he has what it says behind it...ph33r means fear, m3h is a variance on the spelling of my...so, m3h is my, ub4r is uber which is german for great or huge...can't remember exactly. l33+ is another way of saying 1337...or 133t... and 5k!11z is skills. so it reads as the following: fear my uber leet skills. *^-^* and thanks for the word...like i said, i mutter little things at work, and well...it's better that the people don't understand what i say...

so...what does erai koccha mean then? i guess i don't understand the last part...*^-^*;;