Debate The ages old question: Ninjas vrs Pirates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ark, Jul 21, 2003.

?

Ninjas or Pirates?

1. Ninjas!

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Pirates!

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. Bow to your Robot Overlords

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Neither. And robots suck.

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

So, which are better?

Ninja:

Pros -

Flip out and kill people
    Sneaky-sneaky
    Dresses all in black
    Uses poison and other silent assassination methods
    Know wacky martial arts and creepy ninja magics

Cons -

Must follow orders or commit seppuku
    Strong code of honor
    Not well armored
    Always working for a Master

Pirates:

Pros -

Drink lots
    Loot and pillage
    Hide treasure
    Good at fighting
    Sail the open seas
    Big ships with big cannon
    Fly the Jolly Roger

Cons -

Often hungover
    Hunted by many naval forces
    Forget where treasure is buried
    Not very sneaky

So, chime your opinions in, people!

2. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

If you really want to get technical, in certain animes and legends there are ninjas which move quicker than the eye can see. Now Im not proposing that ninjas have FTL speed, or even move at a rate equal to C, but no way could a pirate, live or undead, take on something it cant track.

That's what someone in the chatroom said and I agree with it.

3. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Yes, but remember that Ninjas are solitary animals, while Pirates travel in herds, which evens the odds a bit.

Also, a ninja would only have to move fast enough to escape the frame within 1/30 of a second, as that is the speed of a standard shutter on a camera. Now, while this would mean the Ninja is, indeed, moving extremely fast, it would not necessitate that he is, per se, moving faster than the eye can see. Merely faster than the camera can film.

- Ark

4. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Even though they're not there, I vote
    Vikings.

Pirates are just Viking fanboys(talk about ripping off someones style).

And a Viking would crush a puny little ninja under his mighty beard and then have his way with the ninja's woman.

5. Novus

Novus Gone

Ninjas and Vikings can't compete with a mighty cannon blast from a pirate ship!
    Pirates get to say cool things like "Avast!", "Scurvy scallywag!", "keel haul", and "fo'c'stle hands". What do ninjas get? Nothing! They just speak plain old Japanese!
    How about names? Pirates get fun things like "Long John Silver", "Black Beard", "Israel Hands", "Billy Bones", and, of course, "Monkey D. Luffy". Ninja names are a little bland and overused. Pirate nicknames always have some significance behind them because they are usually given by the pirate's companions.
    Ninjas win in the weapons department. All pirates get is a cutless, a musket, a few cannons, and maybe a falchion or two. Ninjas get an array of swords and throwing devices, plus, "caltrop" is always a fun word to say.
    Who ever heard of a "space ninja"? Pirates fit well into any setting, past, present or future. As long as there is treasure to plunder and villages to be pillaged, there will be pirates!

Overall, ninjas are cool, but if you consider the fact that all the cool superpowers comics and anime give them didn't actually exist, the choice is clear, and pirates sail away with the victory.

"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest!
    Yo-ho ho and a bottle of rum!
    Drink and the devil had done for the rest!
    Yo-ho ho and a bottle of rum ..."

Now sing me a ninja song.

6. Mao Mo Lin

Mao Mo Lin New Member

BOW TO YOUR ROBOT OVERLORDS

7. Novus

Novus Gone

Okay, now sing me a robot song.

8. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Ninjas... Stealth is my top priority when you are hunting a victim. And those ninja discs are descreetly deadly. My sort of stuff ^^

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

NINJA'S R0X0R StUPIt Pirotes!!

Realize that while the pirates have the vikings, the ninjas have the mongols.

Pirates
    Pros
    -Have parrots
    -wooden legs
    -eyepatches
    -cannons
    -hook hands
    Cons
    -Smelly
    -Dirty
    -Icky
    -All they even know how to say is "swoon"
    -always loaded

Ninjas
    Pros
    -mastered the English language like no others
    -*****in’ cool
    -can kill anyone they want
    -so crazy and awesome that they flip out ALL the time
    -Just like other mammals, ninjas can be mean OR totally awesome
    -ninja swords
    -better depth perception

Research cited from:
    http://www.realultimatepower.net
    http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20020604
    http://www.msu.edu/~couilla3/ninja/winner.htm
    http://www.techtv.com/xplay/interact/story/0,24330,3440225,00.html

To all you pirate supporters..."You Fight Like a Dairy Farmer!"

10. Miko

Miko New Member

ninjas rule!!

11. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

And you fight LIEK A COW! :p

Monkey Island rules.

Also, so I'm contributing:

HARRRRRR!

12. Miko

Miko New Member

i like the throwing knives *plays with a ninja star* i like the stars too...

13. Novus

Novus Gone

Avast, me harties! Ye'll be walkin' the plank if yer ninjas lose this debate, that is if I don't keel haul ye farst!

Sure, ninjas could kill stuff, but only stuff that's caught off-guard. In a straight fight, good luck hitting someone with a shuriken. A musket'll take you down any day.
    Besides, pirates didn't just kill stuff. They took whatever they wanted, and did whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. They answered to no one. Not like ninjas and there silly "die for your government" mentality.
    Look at modes of transportation. Ninjas had to walk places, or maybe hitch a ride with someone. Pirates got galleons, longboats, schooners, and whatever else they could hijack.
    Ninjas were not a very diverse group. They were all Japanese. Pirates were British, French, Spanish, Italian, Turkish, whatever. If you could swing an oar or swing a cutlass, you could be a pirate, regardless of nationality.
    And, of course, let's look at literature. Pirates have gone down in literature as classics, such as Treasure Island. Ninjas are what? Comic books?

14. sasuke_aoshi

sasuke_aoshi New Member

The best thing about ninjas, which didn't really exist in pirates or other groups, is nationalism. Which is why I associate with them to a quasi non-existant, but still present, extent. They fought FOR something. They actually fought for the most important thing in anyone's life, whether they acknowledge it or not...

They were also pure. The fact that they were all Japanese is a good thing.

Novus, Stalin has gone down in a lot of books too. That makes him...

15. Miko

Miko New Member

*finishes sasuke_aoshi's sentence*.....a pirate!! *throws a shuriken at a stalin pic* right in the nose! *sees everyone staring at her* what? its target practice!

16. Novus

Novus Gone

A genius?

Stalin was a very intelligent, if misguided man. He did a lot of very bad things, but then what historical persona didn't? History is built by the major players, and their mistakes and the disasters they cause.

Infamy lasts longer than fame. Name three famous ninjas. I can name several renowned pirates, i.e. Black Beard, Captain Kidd, Blue Beard ... those were all real people, too. Don't even get me started on the fictional ones.

Ninjas couldn't have been "pure". They killed people for a living. It's not like they sold flowers and donated the proceeds to help sick kids. And pirates fought for something. They fought for treasure, and to a certain extent, freedom. The trouble was, of course, that once you turned to piracy, you were stuck with it because you'd have all of the British Navy and the Spanish Armada after you soon enough.

A pirate got to see the world. A ninja got to see ONE COUNTRY!

17. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Assuming the ninja is close enough that he can't move out of the way. Shuriken are quick, silent, and effective when striking vital points.

Who believes in a straight fight? Ninjas have no problem doing anything, no matter how underhanded, to get the job done.

When the ninja sneaks onboard your galleon, it may be quite some time before you notice half your crew is actually dead, rather than sleeping off their drunkedness. But fire off one musket, and every ninja hears it and knows to hide in the shadows until things are quiet again.

Which meant they really couldn't stay anywhere without using brute force. After all, militias and government armies would likely not take too well to pirates in their area of influence.

The ninja are already secret, despite serving someone. No problems dropping your ninja gear after a job and having a drink at the local bar.

True, but as you said, they didn't have much area to cover. Had ninjas been needed outside of Japan, I'm sure they would have begun using better transportation methods.

Actually, Ninjas have roots in China. Last I checked, that was a big country population to take on. :p

And that low bar for entry requirements = a large, unskilled, disorganized group.

Ninjas had to undergo very strict training in order to be added to the group.

There are Japanese Ninja Classics in literature. Here's an example, just as there are Pirates in Comic books.

18. Miko

Miko New Member

you often make verrrry good points bms. i have to agree with you on everything

19. RazorBladeSmile

RazorBladeSmile New Member

ninjas or pirates? ninjas or pirates? i've got it...Ninja Pirates :p

20. sasuke_aoshi

sasuke_aoshi New Member

I'd prefer pledging my loyalty to a single nation then seeing the whole world.