Recreation Why don't you just shut up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Legato, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Legato

Legato Shakkin Daiou

Catchy title isn't it?

I'm sorry to say this, but it does in fact have a serious side to it.
    I have not been on this forum very long, but long enough so it is no longer "a novelty" and has now become a "point of interest" and I've noticed a few unfortunate habits of a few of the Patrons of this board. I'm not claiming a "higher than thou" attitude here, this is opinion, and may be debated as such. This is gonna be long, so If you don't wanna read it, don't bother, but if you want to reply, read all of it.

1. The seperation of Church and Web.
    I am an agnostic, baptised a catholic, and I have no particular belief, preferring to believe in the decisions made during the life we humans know we have, not just have a particularly strong belief in it's existence. For these reasons I believe it is important to judge and form opinions on anime based upon your personal tastes, not on religious beliefs? Why? because just as many religious people find it offensive to have their beliefs mocked (a practice I do not believe in) I find it offensive to have religious concepts used as fact in an argument/ point of view. It is important to better relations between people to establish understanding on a person-to-person basis, rather than calling upon some outside source as a basis for your ideas. Just it is legitimate to quote something that is a proven fact in a debate, yet it is not okay to quote anothers belief as a fact. I'm not saying God doesn't exist, i'm just saying that this is between you, other members and the hobby which we all love- the enjoyment of fine quality japanese related products, or other interests.

2. My xxxth post.
    Why? It is a well known fact that the number of posts does not make the member more or less legitimate, they will always be judged on content first. I'm finding it increasingly frustrating trying to look up topics in "Misc" using the scroll and "next page" and finding 5 or more of these pointless post building threads. If anything, an extreme number of posts will only deter people in the long run as it gives the impression of one who has spammed. A quick search through the heaviest posters archives revealed such insights as "Ah... (smiley)", "urrr...(smiley)" "What?" etc. what do these achieve? they don't add anything to the topic and make the member appear dense, or at least very very tired.

3. Who likes me?
    This is going to sound weird because I started the first of these, a poll about who was preferred, myself or my brother. My poll was designed as a test, as me and my brother have been fans of chat sights/message boards for ages, and it would always bare interesting results as to who was more popular online. I would always have the female (supposedly, thats the risk you take on the internet) chatters talking to me, whereas wolfwood was always more popular with male chatters. Yet, when it came to it, people would always stick up for wolfwood, and I would be left to fend my own, should either of us be verbally attacked. This is the first message board which had a friendly enough, relaxed atmosphere to even consider posting a thread which would quench our curiosity of which type of person was favourable on chat.message boards: The kind and warm hearted but ultimately reserved Wolfwood, or the outgoing, feckless and not-everybodies-cup-of-tea legato. Since then two threads started up with a similar concept except it lacked a particular thing; Real Choice. Both threads simply asked "do you like me or not?" , which is a simple question "Yes, of course we like you". This board is filled with kind and welcoming people (some of whom are ridiculously patient) and if there are any "udesirable members" they are quickly driven into the shadows by the overwhelming support given by members to other members. If you haven't been flamed to death, everyone likes you.

4. On that topic...
    This board lacks one thing. Genuine aggression. I'd prefer it if people would stop giving an opinion, then wacking a smiley over the top of it to say "Just Kidding" ... If you didn't mean it, why did you say it? Do you think put downs are funny? maybe to eight year olds, but we're mostly fully developed free thinking people here and we should never have to say "can't you take a joke?" . I say if you have a beef with someones point of view, don't hide it, say whats bugging you about it, but make sure to justify your opinion. And make sure it is your opinion. As the Human Torch of Fantastic Four fame says: "FLAME ON!"

Do unto others is my golden rule. do you want to be lied to? do you want to be pressured? do you want to feel like your opinion doesn't count?

Thought not.

2. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Legato -

Some very interesting points... And I can see a good debate springing up here, hopefully mostly positive.

Well you're still here so at least you haven't been flamed to death yet, unless you're looking for a martyr-like death for a cause as per the "real" Legato - in that case maybe you're building up towards it!

I agree with you on the "Legato I totally disagree with you, you're an idiot (insert non-threatening smiley here)" point, it can be annoying when you're not entirely sure is someone taking the mickey or not.

All the best,

John.
    --

3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

<ahem>
    This is my reply to your post. Please enjoy.
    and plese ignore the bad spelling...

1. yes, religion is getting out and about, but it's also what influences some peoples opinions depending on how well they like their reigiong and such, and how big a role it has had in thier life. religion has never meant much to me so it's not that big of a thing. noone here has started preaching, just stating why they think the way they do about some things. nothing wrong with that. no one asked what religion anyone is because of the big conversation rule. "never talk religion with friends." politics is also included on the rule list.

2. ya know, some ppl just like to celebrate little things. it's fun, and if it wasn't these types of threads wouldn't get positive responses. it isn't spam, we had a spammer on here. he left because his spam posts were taken off his post count and he wanted that custom title SOOOO bad. i recomend, if you don't want to read these types of threads, then don't go to them. life will go on somehow. it's that easy.

3. you're right, you did start the popularity threads. now what? maybe others here are curious too? sometimes you can tell from posts, sometimes you can't. i will never claim to be the most secure person, and question my place here everytime i reply to a post. i won't start a thread like that, cause i've talked to a couple ppl on here and understand my place. mainly i have long talks in the chat room when ppl are there. no one has really been flames to death, as we are a freindly environment. we're a bit extreme one way or the other i'm sure(if we really need to show it). if we need to drive a point home that is.

4. we do have strong opinions, but we also don't want other s to be mad. that isn't a bad thing. no one really wants this to be an aggresive board. go to penny arcades forums once. that's my idea of an aggressive board, and i don't like it. just because we aren't fighting out little opinion wars doesn't mean we don't voice our opinions. we just understand that everybody here has an opinion and aren't here to change it. maybe if they're wrong on some info then we correct. but also, putting the smiley there also shows that there aren't any hard feelings there. and the j/k things, well, some of us like to screw around with ppls heads and that's our way of doing it, in however small a way it is. so, we just don't want flame wars, however funny they can be at times.

and why would we feel lied to or pressured? we all know our opinions count. ya see, we're all kinda the same, and that's what makes this board so easy to post to. because we have the same personalities for the most part, we know that the readers will be able accept the response and understand it. we do what we want to do. and there has never been anything wrong with that.

Berry

[edit]ya know, it almost sounds like you want a flame war...[/edit]

4. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

Yes ..you have been in M2A for a short while and I saw its too soon to come up with this opinion of yours like this. You are expecting too much from us!!
    1. First of all, in your first pg you said that its better to establish a one-on-one relationship than having turn to god for guidance. I disagree with you. I'm a muslum and i turn to the teaching on islam to help me select a better way of living my life in a peaceful and pure way. To tell you the truth, I've learned more things from reading the Qura'an (Holdy book of Islam) than what my parents have taught me! People have different ways of approaching things!

I dont see the relations between God and japanses products[anime,manga, and other stuff like hentai)

2.I agree with ya about the spammers. We before had 2 spammers that are no longer with us! But i've never seen any posts that have just only have one word. (maybe I didn't see them) If you have seen a spam-post report this to the moderator and we will take care of it by deducing the post count of the person or deleting their post!
    Anyway, I may have went off the topic a couple of times and so do u and all the others. Its not a big deal! but that doesn't count as spamming 'cuz you have something to say!

3. In ur 'who likes me' paragraph, there is two things that I want to say: Its to early to do you ur test to find whose more popular and it gives you a second meaning of "love you to death" :p

4. you said you prefer people who would be aggrasive then being nice. Well I feel (i know) that its directed to me 'cuz i always say something and in the end i put 'jk'. I have many bad experiences in the past where I said something and people thought that I was serious; Therefore, to be pre-causious I add the 'JK' part to tell everyone that im joking. I'm a nice girl and I dont want to ruin that image.!. :p If people stopped teasing each other and start insulting and being aggressive, why would we continue posting here?

The real question is do u want to know the truth?

5. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Oh I'm just going through and answering to the different parts of you thread, this doesn't mean that I'm ripping up your thread paragraph by paragraph...because I have had that done to me before and I know it hurts.

I try not to base anime off of religion... although it is rather interesting when you find something in an anime that relates to you. For many it is a Christian theme... I mean I was like "HOLY CRAP!!" when I watched the Shimabara Arc of Rurouni Kenshin and saw all of the Christians in Japan and learned about how they were brutally slaughtered or exiled. And it was really cool how Kenshin defended the Christians and helped them get the government to allow them to escape Japan and go to Holland. Although of course I do not find it right to force your views on another. In my opinion everyone has their own values and beliefs and none of them are wrong! I kind of think that it is alright to use something that you believe as long as you don't say that it is a fact and everyone should agree with you. That's why I said "my opinion" earlier................

Yeah... I do agree with your opinion that everyone is equal... I mean mangatoanime does seem to be a democracy to me and no matter what your rank everyone should be treated the same. I mean, some people may have higher post counts, but that doesn't mean that they are more knowledgeable than a "newbie"... I went to a forum once and gave a huge opinion about an anime and everyone ignored me because I didn't have 20000 posts. But I don't think that the posts that say "I got xxxx" threads aren't neccessary because of course we see that you have that many posts and we're proud of you and everyone here is such an awesome member :) *hugs* And also well they are sort of going insane because there are like 300 members on here now and... well if everyone did that then the misc forum would be really really really really really really huge...

Oro, sorry man that I didn't respond to the thread you made earlier... but well, you shouldn't use us as guinea pigs either. Of course I like you guys because you are really knowledgeable about anime and give really great opinions! I have always wondered in the past, and I was in a bit of a depressed state for a while because I thought that everyone here just thought of me as an annoyance or something... but I just told myself to have some self esteem I literally yelled that to myself ;) Because this is such an awesome community to be in and I don't want to leave it... and if people thought me as annoying I would try to not be for them. But I'm happy with the way I am ^___^x *hugs himself* :p And you should all be with yourselves because if we didn't like the way you are acting towards everyone else, you would know...

Yeah, I admit I'm pretty much guilty of that... I just don't want to hurt anyone... or be the cause of them being depressed or anything. I mean, words do hurt man! and again I agree with the "your opinion" statement you made... but we must respect one anothers opinion, and not totally insult them or say that it's fact that it's totally an obscure opinion... I mean the most obscure scientific opinions are the one that have become facts (like the world being round). We should "Flame" one another though and totally cause verbal beat downs though. I mean, many people come here to just relax and enjoy their free time... I wouldn't want to come to a mangatoanime that is in a state of war ya know? It's like going to a country that is having a nuclear war, of course you'll get a bomb dropped on your head.

6. chupito

chupito New Member

Man! I'd take 30 minutes to read all those answers...
    Okay, i read all of them and i have to say, you look a little stressed... If you read all of them<answers to your thread> you will see that sometimes it's good to know someone likes you, you probaly already have to lie to wolfwood or a friend cuz he need it, didn't you? It's a informal board right? so those funny thread will continue. It's funny ne?! If you don't like them, don't read...

Until here i was talking in general, but now i will write those two in special:
    1. Totally agree with you about churchs,i think this kind of opinion shouldn't be share in this kind of board...

3. Maybe it's my fault you wrote this one... I almost died, and i know very well i'm not the popular and loved one when i'm not on the computer<not saing that i'm k?>, my life really sucks sometimes. Here is where i can find friends who will not judged me by my looks or first sight, they will try to know me first<this is my impresion of M2A's members:>... Okay, maybe the name of my thread was stupid "would you miss me?" but the answers helped me a lot... Even when i know they are not true. Cuz i think like this: They don't hate me after all, they cared enough for actually lie to me... I'm sure i would miss evry single member i know here if something happen, you all are my second family. I wanted to share this experence... Don't hate me.
    BTW, i didn't put any smilies...

7. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Man thats a lot of reading.. Not sure where the religious point came into play though because im yet to see any Bible thumpers in here preachinh Jesus is God and anime is Satan!.. (and yes I know Jesus is gods son not God).. ANyway.. if anyone is curious about religion a good book is the Unicorne and the Dragon.. I think thats the title.. is has a cool way of looking at early christain and late pagan religion!..

As for agression.. I come here not fight with ppl.. im tired of that crap.. the only person i ever argue on here is with the DrunkLepercan.. sorry if I spelt you nick wrong man.. But I only Argue in a healthy way... or hope so anyway..

And as for those stupid pointless post.. sometime ppl want to say something but have nothing good to say about an anime at the moment so there is some stupid post to say something on...

Anyway thats my opinion for the moment.. Be back later!

KaMe

8. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

First off, let me say that if I seem to apply my religious beliefs to my posting, it is just some kind of error. If you asked a lot of my friends, they wouldn't even be able to tell you if I even have religious beliefs. I have argued good and evil in the past, but it is not just religion that preaches such things. I do not, however, agree that religion should be cut off from everything else around here. Sure, this is an anime board, and we should all keep that straight, but as any truly religious person will tell you, religion is not an aspect of life, but it is life itself. Every major religion of the world, be it Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism ... whatever ... tells us that universal brotherhood, love and peace are the way to go. Even the (at times) corrupt media tells us that. Such a message at times can be distorted, but with true belief comes true peace, I say. If we'd all just accept each other's opinions, we'd all be fine. Quote one post where someone has said "my religion is better than yours" or "you <members of religionX> all suck", and I'll agree that this community has a problem.

On Item #2, I agree wholeheartedly with the statement that if you don't want to read such a thread, just don't. Simple problem, simple solution.

Item #3, I have only one thing to say: if you want to know, ask. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, and you can't get much more direct than this.

Finally, I think you'd all agree that I have, in fact, displayed much aggression around here, and to what end? A whole lot of lengthy arguments, a self-imposed exile from my favourite website, and a whole lot of very real personality problems, not to mention scars on potentially great friendships at this community that I may never be able to repair. I have sent, been sent, and caused, either inadvertantly or otherwise, a tremendous amount of somewhat abbrasive messages, up to the point where I have actually been told the whole "watch your mouth" routine several times over. I have said over and over again that I will avoid such behavior, but we all can agree that doing so is not such an easy task. As a self-proclaimed defender of love, peace and the like, I fire a whole lot of shells. I will once again make the suggestion I have made many a time in the past: if you cannot avoid flaming someone, don't do it here. We have private messages, email, messenger services, and a myriad of other modes of communication. We are a social species, after all. I ask my fellow members not to plague each other with endless post-brutality. I like to think of us all (for the most part, anyway) as friends, even those who may not think of me the same way. Let's try to keep it so we can all say that.
    To summarize, I have been known for aggression, and I'm sick of it.

¡VIVE LA VIDA!

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I have my say...briefly.

Yeah. But an even more contraversial topic, Legato. I can see it's generated quite some feedback, in agreements and disagreements. I'll bring in my take now that I've had time to absorb all that's been put up already.

As you'll notice, nowhere will you find more opinions anywhere than on the web. Where else can anyone speak their mind freely to large target audiences with virtually little difficulty. You seem enough of a veteran to be familiar with the large outcrop of Home pages and Live Journals that sprout up all over the place bringing in people's rants, raves, and randomness.

Religion happens to be one such opinion that some like to tote around, and it can be distracting or annoying or interesting depending on your own personal take. Still, it is once again an opinion, and you need not take it at face value (just as you wouldn't any other usual opinion).

It's a touchy subject. As it currently stands however, I don't see it as a concern or issue.

There have been so many of these as of late, that they almost could have their own board.

To answer the "Why", I believe it's a sense of self-satisfaction. Reaching a large count (by non-spamming methods) gives some members a good feeling, and they seem to want to express it with such a post. With such a large member pool, they *are* increasing in number...

What do I think? I'm undecided.

Current Top Ten Posters:
    1-lilm0nk (okay, I can't vouch for this member since it was a transfer from the Eirtaku boards)
    2-BakaMattSu
    3-That guy!
    4-GentatsuNoZanshi cc61
    5-MamiyaOtaru
    6-Seraphim
    7-* ToOmaA *
    8-Lady Aoi
    9-Ryujinn (again, Eirtaku)
    10-Zanza

Looking at the above list, I can say from my experience, that some of our brightest and best posts and topics have come from these members. Maybe you could remind of where you found such insight?

10. PAnda

PAnda New Member

Some good points -- but I'll keep it short..

(1) One man's religion is another man's belly-laugh - I have no religion, but enjoy quite a few belly-laughs.

(2) If you MUST celebrate your XXXth posting - do it right by drinking a glass of South Australian Red Wine (I'm just about to go off and celebrate THIS posting!)

(3) Who likes me? - Heh! This is the internet - who cares!

(4) More aggression? That's what the CAP LOCK is for - pump out those all capital paragraphs! In regard to people that make inflamatory statements and then try and take the sting off them by adding a smiley - I THINK THEY SHOULD BE ROUNDED UP AND SHOT!.....

.....nah!....... only joking! :p

11. Chibi Meg

Chibi Meg New Member

hmmmm well my post I'm affraid wont be as long as some of the others, everyone else pretty much summing up my opponions, let me just say
    Go Religion!! we need to hear more from it, whatever religion you are
    Boo spammers :p
    Friendliness and acceptance is better than being mean and bitter,
    and I'm gonna make a post when I get to 250 cuz I like to celebrate things too :D
    luv ya every 1
    Chibi Meg ^.^V

12. Legato

Legato Shakkin Daiou

Re: Re: Why don't you just shut up?

Yes. Yes I do. More than anything else. I would rather know that everything I believed in up until now was a lie and that there was no hope, rather than live ignorant.

Chupito, I wasn't picking on your content of the "would you miss me" thread, as it was interesting and thought provoking. I just think that the poll attached to it was unnecessary. I liked that thread.

Can't remember who posted it, but I'm not trying to start a flame war. I'm trying to start an honest, truthful, thoughtful discussion which would be devoid of any Spam or hopefully, (j/k), except when used to provide an example(see Baka's post). Knowing that this last statement will probably prompt every immature "funny" bourke on this board ( few and far between as they are...) to write crappy (j/k):p spams, I am now gritting my teeth.

Perhaps I didn't speak as I meant to on the topic of aggression.
    what I meant was that people shouldn't hide any aggression they have behind a smiley. better to leave it out if they can't justify it (say a member had insulted all fans of a particular anime viciously, it would be good to say "what is your problem, this anime has many good qualities etc," rather than "Hey, are you a complete idiot that nobody likes? :p (j/k)" because all that creates is confusion and a lot of bad blood. I say it's better to be assertive with your posts rather than secretely disagree with someones attitude and be a b*tch to them (not as in girl, as in talking crap about them behind their back. I don't use b*tch as a term for a girl I don't like.)

These are good replies. This is EXACTLY what I hoped for. Noone is just giving opinions, everyone is THINKING about what they're saying.

Thankyou.

Oh, and who would want to be a martyr? eeegh, nasty.

13. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Well, personally, I think that like many have said:

"If you don't like it, don't read it."

But you have valid points. But you know, I find it interesting to find out about other customs, religions and even more about my own. You should be open to these things, but you don't have to like it all the same.

Heheh, as for good ol' No#2, maybe we can come to some sort of agreement on this, like making one thread for everybody in misc.?
    We do kinda have alot of posts about it.

As for agressiveness! This I like! I'm agressive, but I'm never really serious, so I guess I could do with less j/k's. Maybe it's an insult to our intelligent if we can't gues when somebody's kidding...

14. chupito

chupito New Member

This is turning to be a funny thread!!! :) :D!!!

Thanks, If you liked why didn't you answer it?!:( ! I love when i get for answers more than two pages LOL!

15. Energizer Bunny

Energizer Bunny i wuv you

i would like to apologize for the like me thread i was just playing around no one here really knows me so it would be weird for me to base my whole self esteem on what online folks say...i just thought it would be interesting to see...like somebody said if ya wanna know ask so yes once again sorry it upset you so greatly and i hope that next time you can just attack me in a private message(that was me kinda being aggressive) as for the religious thing i really havent seen that much here and what has popped up didnt bother me at all it just goes with the opinion thing ya know? xxxth post? i agree with whoever said that soemtimes we like to say something but cant think of something...until we look at our post total! ^.^ i think saying yay for so and so every now and then is fun the aggressive thing i dunno what to think about that sure we dont want everything to be like pleasantville or something but i dont want people to be hurt either even though it is just online...well i must admit your lashing out has created quite a thread kudos to that

oh yes i must agree with the famous if you dont like it dont read it thing fits wonderfully

16. Legato

Legato Shakkin Daiou

Hm... It wasn't meant to be 'funny' per se, more thought provoking.
    By the way, now that 'If you don't like it, don't read it" has been branded into my brain, could people stop writing it? If you had anything to add to it or an example of something which you read and now stop reading similar posts, thats cool, but at the moment it's achieving nothing to repeat that point.
    Chupito, I didn't reply to it because I had nothing to add. Wouldn't it be rather hypocritical to condone pointless posting, then do it myself. You know from Private messaging that I like you and I haven't had a near death experience to speak of, therefore, I had nothing to write. neee?

17. chupito

chupito New Member

Yeap! It's okay cuz i know you would miss me<at least i hope so:D>we are friends, or if you preffer your little sister :)!!!! You choose k?...

Hugs

18. chupito

chupito New Member

BTW, i posted that poll because i never posted one before and i wanted to see how to make one:D!!!!!

19. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i think the whole phrase about not reading is said by everyone alot now, is that no matter how often it is said(anywhere) it is never listened to. in one ear out the other, ya know? the universal thing we agree on i guess*^-^* it not being said to make you sick or anything, but to get the point across...cause you made a deal about it, and we just want you to know it'll still happen, just watch out for it. most of us, also, didn't come here to be very agressive...if it was why, then this wouldn't be such a friendly place i think. we just share our views and info on anime and have some warm conversation. we get to know one another and to enjoy talking to each other. i know that's why i'm here. ppl being overly aggressive was the only drawback i found in the napster chatrooms...it's annoying when someone is wrong, and won't admit it and is only trying to get ppl mad...we're here for the positive experience.

how's that for aggresive? lol

20. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

1) I have my own beliefs and opinions. If an anime contains something I dont like, I ignore it. At no point do I concider stopping it for everyone else.

2)Bakamattsu showed that the highest posters were some of the brightest people on this forum. He is correct. But these people have been on a while, and dont post hugely these days. I believe Legato did infact check members post per day counts then looked up some of these members recent posts and they do seem to be along the lines of "hrm" "uhhhhh" and posting simply to say your not going to post. I share some irritation in the sense that this is a disscussion forum and "my 100th or my 50th or 500th" is more of an anouncement where nothing fruitful will be added to it besides "congratulations" and "golly, I remember when I posted my 100th" comments. If anyone REALLY REALLY cares they'll congratulate you while on an already existing discussion thread, and there's no waste. And if you're just doing it for yourself, do it for yourself, have a beer or some of that fiiine fiiiine white chocolate.

3) Yeah we started this sure, but we did it for a bit of curiosity and fun. We both had sufficiant ego to win or lose without problems, and we gave people a choice. "d'ya like me?" threads with a yes/no answer leave no variation. To say "no" will get you killed. Neither i nore Legato did it for an ego boost as neither of us need one. I do have conciderabley less ego than him, but when we work together were like the valentine brothers from Hellsing.

4) I just have a nagging suspicion that if i were to say
    ''Women are stupid untalented ho's:p " I'd still get flamed. A bit off subject, I know but its bother the **** out of me.