Debate Would you ever kill someone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seraphinx, Oct 30, 2003.

?

Would you ever kill someone?

1. Yeah, I'd do it for fun.

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Yeah, but only for my own survival.

15 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. I'd attack someone, but I hope it won't kill them.

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. I'll kill if I'm ordered to (if I was a cop or soldier)

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. If a scary-looking dude sneaked into my house at night, maim or kill, I'd show no mercy!

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. For a good purpose, but I'd let someone else do the killing for me.

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. No, I'd never kill anyone even if it meant preventing further disasters.

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

You said "the ranks of mindless killers". That would imply that the majority if not the whole of an armies worldwide are filled by mindless killers.

Furthermore, you never mentioned this new, mysterious type of soldier called "normal".

2. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

You assume to much from my words... & i already agrre'd to change that statement

My bad, & i didnt mention that i was refering to the whole precentage of soldiers when i said what i did

3. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

You are now being re-directed back to the topic. ^_^

Life is very precious. I would never kill anybody... unless it's a very extreme situation. I would'nt kill someone if they tried to hurt/kill me, my family, ect. They would get whats comin', which is a good ***-whuppin, and whatever legal actions necessary, but I wouldn't kill them... In very very severe cases... but nothing spur of the moment.

On that note, I don't think I'd ever like someone put on the death sentence because of me, either. That's wrong for me...

4. Ryu-Ki

Ryu-Ki New Member

I'm just going to interject right here,
    Let me start be say saying I'm not tacking the side of ether Angel from Hell or Nephilim_X, but you can't judge every one or thing by the group or what they are(Humen, soldier, cat, dog,.....etc.).
    It like saying all dogs are vicious killers just because of Rotwillers and so on.
    And my Dad, both my grandfothers, and my Great Uncle where all in the millatary and they where good people, and my Great Uncle got Frances highest Medal Honer.(don't now what it is though).

5. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

I go away for a day or so and the thread doubles! Well, fallen angels (Angel of Hell and Nephilim_X), that's interesting stuff about war soldiers. I don't know much about military or keep up with the war news, but I feel that being ordered to kill is a different kind of killing, cuz it's the only time you can get wild and it's completely fine. (Unlike self-defense killing which might be questionable, or murder which is bad.)

Okay so we know that killing in general is a bad thing. But why do people enjoy violent games? Not just cuz they can live out a fantasy role (like that of a hero, soldier, hitman, gangster), not just cuz they get to do something they can't do in real life (killing), but why else? For me, I guess it's an outlet for some deep, dark evil inside of me. When I play Silent Scope and pick guys off with that sniper rifle, it feels good. When the action is easy it feels serene, and when things get intense it feels exhilirating.

We heard that the suicide shooters of Columbine high school practiced shooting using videogames. But violent videogames aren't really linked to violent tendencies in a person (according to filmmaker Michael Moore). Yet some people think otherwise, and wouldn't believe me when I tell them how I feel about Silent Scope. :(

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Ha! Video games are to military training as Star Trek is to a university course in astro-physics!

7. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Nephilim_X is, as usual, correct. My psychology book has an example of a study which wanted to see if a link existed between violent video games and violent behavior. Despite the OBVIOUS bias the book authors and experimenters had in trying to link the two, they could only find 'limited' proof to link them (If anyone cares to ask, I'll be glad to elaborate on the experiment).

Nevertheless, I like violent video games as much as the next guy. I like them not because I have violent tendencies deep inside me, but because they can be fun and entertaining. Of course some psychologists can argue that we ALL have irrational evil inside of us (Freud is the obvious example), so it follows that if you believe in that school of thought you can view video games as an 'outlet' for that violence.

8. Ryu-Ki

Ryu-Ki New Member

I agree that violent video game don't led to real violent acts. It just something certin groups(not nameing names) say so they can blame all the real violence on.
    I don't like all violent game myself (like GTA) thats just me.

9. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

Same here... if people get confused between the assumtion of killing someone via pixels/sprites/whatever they use now & actually killing a living thing. they are called delusional & are more often than not issued that special jacket that makes you constantly hug yourself all day (Unless they actually go through with the act that is then every day in the prison shower is fun day)

10. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I'd eat people to survive! yum! (lol..)

This reminds me of a Pinky and the Brain quote..

Pinky: "The reindeer are inviting the elves to join them at a party at Donner's house."
    Brain: "Hmm. Somehow the idea of joining the Donner party is unappealing."

If you don't know about it, in the Donner Party a group of people were trapped in a huge snowstorm and had to stay at Donner pass for a long time. Because of this they ate the pets, then the slaves and then each other. Really, they wouldn't do this in any other circumstance but when motivated by hunger people would do anything (my psych prof brought up the point that mostly anything is appealing even after missing 2 meals!) I really would try to turn down eating people for my own survival, but I might be the one being eaten >__<

I wonder if this motivation for survival can be used in other cases too, such as war to protect yourself or in other situations while protecting loved ones. Police are also allowed to shoot at another person only when their own lives are in danger.. Now if they shot at them for any other reason(like to slow them down) that's called police brutality and murder in some cases.

11. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

i alwasy hear people saying things like "oh yeah id kill someone just for the hek of it..." but it may seem as easy as pulling the trigger or slicing with a sword but you have to take in account the mental aspects of it. even seeing a small amount of blood and realizing that your the one who made that happen can have dramatic mental effects on a person. ive heard of cases where people will stop eating or go insane after killing someone...mostly in them military tho...

12. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

If your going to slit your wrists, atleast do it right. Don't slice up, slice across- it just dosen't cut it! AHAHAHAHA! Get it?

...yeah, just thought I'd add that to lighten the atmosphere in this room. ^_^;

I hate when people say violent videogames influence you. That's a bunch of crap. Sure, they might take away your life, and make you care less about your physical appearance, and make you think you don't need deodoratnt... but still- they don't make you want to kill things. Thats a theory created by a bunch of geezers fearing modern technology, and tryign to get their grandsons to quit playing RPGs and go chop down an apple tree or something. ^_^

13. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

that's a good new thread... "Do games really do criminals/asassins/hitman/psychos/killers?"
    sincerely I don't believe non of that crap

14. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

The act of killing may be something that's a lil bit influenced by the stuff the killer experienced while growing up (like watching violent movies, being in fights, etc.), but when it comes down to it, killing comes with the situation that provoked it. So we can't blame violence in the media for murders--we have to blame the killer and the direct reason why they killed. In another way of looking at it, look at the shirt that one character wore in the movie "Happy Gilmore"--it read "Guns don't kill people... I kill people"! :anger: I loved that saying, which implies that we shouldn't blame indirect causes (which aren't the real causes anyway), but the immediate causes (the actual killers themselves).

15. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

There's one person I would like to kill. And I would, if it weren't against the law. I guess that would qualify as the first one on the poll.

16. xev

xev New Member

Hmmmm........

Sure I would for survival. (There is a few people here just pushing themselves to taste the blade), but I wouldn't hurt anyone or anything, unless I had no choice.

:shy3: :eek: :shy3: :eek:

17. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the guns!
    -Cabal

from Blood 2, Monolith game

18. Ryu-Ki

Ryu-Ki New Member

I'm sure that most people fell that way about a lest one person.
    I know I do.

19. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Well, my problem is that it wouldn't really apply to the poll, really. I mean, I wouldn't be overjoyed I was killing someone, it would be very grim business. Although I would probably live with insane guilt for killing someone, no matter how much I loathed them. But I would still do it(not implying that I'm going to do it....I might actually have a life ahead of me, I don't wanna ruin it by doing something like this...).

20. Guts

Guts 100 man slayer

I would only kill someone in self defense, war, or if they tryed to kill or harm someone else and hope I dont get killed myself. :sweat: