Music Linkin Park ... !!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Zanza, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heero Yui

Heero Yui New Member

Zanshi Stainds music is depressing , but im not sayin its bad music , its good , but do you know what happens when people get depressed??? They commit suicide , i listen to it but i dont wanna kill myself koz im not a depressed person

2. YokoburiKinura

I love that t-shirt! Like the Engrish site says, the hearts and rainbow really reinforce the tone of it. It's got this split-personality thing going on that's so intriguing and original.

I am urge to greet UrashimaKeitaro, MamiyaOtaru, Lady Aoi, BakaMattSu, Cloud, That Guy!, Seraphim, and many others.

---------------
    We'll soon be happy, won't we?

3. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Yo, people lived through the Great Depression, didn't they? And are you saying that I want to commit suicide? Please do not call me suicidal. I most certainly am not. I've been depressed about one thing or another for the last five or six years, and, as Sir Elton John said, "I'm still standing". If you're going to have an attitude like that, you should go listen to some of NSync's "dirty pop" and quit ranting about rock music.

It has been said that in pop music we are told that everything's happy and smiley, but it is not. It is also said that rock music says that many things are bad, but we can change them if we try. We need bands like Linkin Park and Staind to remind us that nothing will ever get better if we just sit back and watch the world collapse around us. Where would we be if everybody was just singing "Hit me baby, one more time"? We'd be hitting each other, one more time, that's where, but that's not the point. Show me where in anything other than the dark side of rock music we see lyrics that actually mean something relevant to the world, and maybe I'll listen to that too.

Just for the record, I don't only listen to dark and scary music. I do have a weakness for a lot of soft rock and a bit of pop ...

By the way, UrashimaKeitaro, I agree that J-pop/rock is fun and all that, but (excepting the Pillows), they don't really seem to have too much to say. Maybe I'm just listening to the wrong music ...

4. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I don't find that dark stuff relevant to my world at all. I don't wander around under a rain cloud all the time. Call me blissfully oblivious or whatever, but I don't need yet one more thing trying to drag me down.

Froth sucks too. Sorta. I can't stand Britney not so much because her lyrics are retarded, but because she is manufactured. All she does is sing something other people write.

Point being, i can respect Linkin Park for playing instruments, and making their own lyrics (even if I suspect they are purposefully dark just to look cool) but I don't like them more than Britney because of the content of their lyrics.

It's all about the music and being real. I just don't think dark bands are real. Britney is fake. Some bands' anger and depression is fake. They are rolling in the $$ a lot of them, and if they really are down, they brought themselves there, like they try to do to their listeners.

Just give me good music, that sounds good, and doesn't bring me down. if I really want meaningful words, I read a book. Popular music of any kind is not the place to get your philosophies from. It's all fake to some degree

If dark stuff mirrors you and you like it, maybe don't be so dark. What's the point?

5. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

It seems to me that you don't appreciate good work. Do you think that when the Beatles pumped out half of their songs they said to themselves "what a coincidence! Our music means something! We just wanted to make a sound that people would buy!" Do you think Beethoven composed his symphonies purely because he was commissioned to? Can you just say that he was looking for something that sounded good at the time, that there was no point to his work? That applies to any true musician.
    Maybe Beethoven's not a good example because he's classical and we're talking rock, but it's the same idea. Can you say that in John Lennon's Imagin he didn't actually mean all that stuff about love, brotherhood and peace, and he was just trying to make a good sound?
    Half of any good rock song is the lyrics. It's poetry of sound. That's what keeps millions of listeners coming back for more, day after day.

If you want to "enjoy" music just because of how it "sounds" go ahead, but you will never truly appreciate the genius of a master lyricist.

There, how's that for a "real" post for you?!

6. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Far be it for me to butt in here... I can't speak for the Beatles, I can't speak for Beethoven, I can't speak for the Pillows, I can't speak for any of the bands you guys have listed, but I can speak for a few friends of mine in the music business, I know people who write songs, I know people who write lyrics, I know people who perform the above. Hell, I even know some people who do all three. (don't get me wrong, they are popular to certain crowds.. I'm not talking about some garage band that only I know about or something) I've talked to these people at length about the music industry, and about songwriting. They've had a few striking things to say. The first was to distinguish between a lyricist and a songwriter. A lyricist (or poet, or whatever you call it) will write the lyrics first, before even considering what the song will even sound like, the music to this type of creator is a tool for accenting the words. The other type is what you see in the music industry in general, people who write things described adequately in 'The Hook' To them the music is the main point, the lyrics are something to be thrown in later, with variable levels of obscurity to make people think that it has meaning. This all means nothing unless you find out who does which. The Pillows I listen to for musical genius, They Might be Giants I listen to for musical genius (there yet remain many that also fit that listening category for me, but they will not be listed), for lyrical genius, honestly, I don't know who to turn to these days.. the musical industry is there encouraging you to sit back and listen to the professionals handle the music. The underground and up-and-coming market is flooded with copies, imitations, and people trying to sell their "Hook"s, the honest to goodness lyricists are dead or flooded out by popularity.
    So for now, I use my own cauldrons to concoct a brew of imagery and sound that has meaning to me and no one else. Not suicidal? GOOD! Stay that way! Depression is not a realization of truth but a warping of it. Depressed people want to stay that way, and it's hard to break out of it because it contradicts their world view. There's a little voice in their heads telling them that the world sucks, they suck, and everyone hates *THEM* for any particular reason you wish to insert here. It's a crying shame when they have help to stay there. Don't just dismiss positivism because it's views are just as skewed as negativism.
    Poetry of sound? Another pathetic marketing scheme from your friends in the recording industry. If it has market appeal, they throw it out to the public like raw meat to a cage of ravenous wolves. Studios don't sign artists, they sign moneymakers, if the Beatles weren't teenage hearthrobs, they wouldn't be any different than Beethoven, finding a spot in the collections of people who had discovered them, and utterly unknown to the rest of the world, except in name. How many people actually read Shakespeare? I mean really read it. Find the meaning and life behind the characters, read into the life of Shakespeare to find out possible meanings to innuendos, hints, and obscure references? Don't even think of classifying yourself as having read Shakespeare if you've done anything less than a year long Shakespeare-intensive experience, most English majors don't even qualify, having skimmed the cliff's notes for Hamlet and endured a performance of a scene by classmates (and I mean endured, if you can't find a point of interest, you aren't looking). But enough about the Bard for now.

UK CHECK! (let's see what today's point is!)
    1. The Recording industry is out there for money.
    2. A true artist doesn't care about the money. Therefore:
    3. The Recording industry and true artists don't mix very well.

I'm saying that without something that sells, you wouldn't see it, and when you first hear that song, it sure as hell isn't the words, unless it's a love song. or something like that graduation advice song, or a comedy track. Whatever the hook is, it's exploited for every song on the radio. Say whatever you will about your favorite band, they are popular because of a hook. Whether that hook is real or not. I'd quote some 'good' rock song lyrics for you, but I'm already running long, and if I started in on that track... ok, I'll indulge myself.. Linkin Park-In The End I'll just ignore how much it repeats itself (I know, I know, it adds such a futility to the feeling of the song and it makes it part of what it is, well, that point is covered well enough with repeating concepts, with different words each iteration) Ok, the minor key to the song also adds to that aspect. This song is about a relationship. If I take the 'what does it mean' approach, then I end up with one thought, relationships are futile, don't bother because nothing works anyways 'in the end'. So, let's sum up, minor key, dueling singer/rapper, repetition, reiteration, and about 4-5 chords with a repeating piano line in the background. The hook is musical in this one, the rapper/singer duo thing, introduced as early as Aerosmith/Run DMC is still 'new' and 'fresh' to the audience, I believe 311 did the first one in a minor key. All the same, the market for this one falls among young men, mainly. An interesting note also to this one, is that it has a bit wider of a selling range because it will sell to kids who have to rely on censoring parents, all the while still selling to the same crowd that this same style plus expletives sells to.

Well, now that none of you have read this... go listen to whatever kind of music you will!

-UK
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    suits up.

7. Heero Yui

Heero Yui New Member

Theres a real post for ya Zanshi , quite a speech Keitaro
    Its just a matter of opinion , all people have different tastes , you cant go up to someone and tell them that the band they listen to is crap , thats your opinion , they have theirs

8. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

So respect my opinions, then. Do not trash my bands, do not trash my posts.
    As for the "4-5 chords" thing, I don't know if you know anything about guitars, but that's pretty much the guitar bit of any song, except maybe the ones with crazy guitar solos.

Now, I could go into a rant of my own opposing the above one, but I'm not going to. I'm sure all of us have realized that Heero is right, and it is a matter of opinion. Besides that, it's ultimately futile for a group of stubborn people to try to argue their opposing views. It's like gathering an official from every religion and having them argue over whose is the right path to salvation ... We'll never all agree, and if we did, we'd have a serious problem: we'd be living in a world of clones.

So, as it has been said, let's agree to disagree. Whether or not we all like Linkin Park and Staind isn't really important in the grand scheme of things, is it?

I'll drop the argument if the rest of you will ... are we agreed?

9. Energizer Bunny

Energizer Bunny i wuv you

*eek* i agree ^.^ "make love not war!" maybe im not allowed to agree since i wasnt really part of this little fray but oh well...

10. UrashimaKeitaro

Agreed, once again I was trying to be objective, but my post wore on and probably ended up somewhat inflaming. From what I've heard of it, though, I'd classify Linkin Park as more of an angry sound than dark. Nevertheless, I hereby approve this topic to have no standing grudges!

*wham!*

-UK
    ~~~~~~~~
    KR imitator supreme... lu lu lu....

11. MamiyaOtaru

the following is my opinion only. Please allow me to have it. And there is honestly no sarcasm in this post.

this is a good point. I think I understimated the importance of the words in my previous posts.

My problem is, being a cynic, I have a hard time believing that lyrics are genuine. While Lennon may have meant what he said in Imagine, I just doubt angry dark bands mean what they sing. If you feel they do, then I sincerely congratulate you on being more trusting than I.

Oh, I do. I just don't see many of them around. Since I find most lyrics fake, all that is left for me by which to judge a song is the sound. That's why I focus so much on it. BUT if, on top of sounding good, the lyrics are meaningful, it really does make a song great: you are perfectly correct. I just wish more songs were.

Man, this has even confused me.
    In short, what I think my thoughts are:
    1. Great music sounds good, and has meaningful lyrics.
    2. Most lyrics are not meaningful
    3. therefore, for the most part, all I can judge music by is the sound

GnZ, do those three points make sense? (not asking if you agree, but if they help you understand why I feel the way I do)

Now, regarding Linkin Park, I have not (intentionally) said that they're crap. Apologies if it seemed that way. I can't judge them at all, because I have not even heard them. I am now going to go listen to some, and who knows? I may like it! The lyrics may indeed be meaningful. Or, they may not be but the music sounds good (which is good enough for me as we've seen).

12. MamiyaOtaru

Blatant opinion follows! :)

OK, I listened to a couple of their songs. In the End, and Papercut.

Thy lyrics were cleverly done. Flowed well. Unfortunately, lines like "Paranoia's all I got left" didn't ring true for me. I am not paranoid and I doubt he is. But, that makes it to me no worse than other music. As usual, I will simply have to judge by the sound.

It sounded, well, not too bad. I don't like rap, that was a minus. I know, that prolly isn't on every song. Papercut, no rap, but also little singing. He kinda growled out the words, sounding like a typical white guy who wants to sound tough. I liked the tune from In the End, when they weren't rapping :)

The guitars were pretty cool though. It really doesn't sound like the metal from back in the 80's though.. that was all about that high pitched squeeling stuff, this was lower, almost, dare I say it, grungy. Is Metal a misnomer in this case? Oh well, they can call themselves what ever they want to :D

In the end, it came down to me not liking excessive anger, and hoarse shout/singing.

So, we agree do disagree on certain bands. No biggie. I know and am glad that not everyone in the world has the exact same tastes. I still don't think less of you for liking them, dunno how often I can say it.

13. Heero Yui

Heero Yui New Member

Ok Otaru
    Thats your opinion on Linken Park , fair enough
    So everyone has said what they think ? good stuff
    I Think theyre music style is called new metal

14. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

:D all I care is that I like their music!! :D

I really mean what i said ... I feal energatic when I hear their music :dizzy2:

15. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I was going to post something relevent to Mr. Otaru's replies, but I forgot what it was ... :sweat: Rest assured that it was something positive for once though!

Oh yeah, I just remembered part of it, my agreement that most lyrics are fake. Look at most of Kid Rock's work. He goes on with his "I'm a pimp!" and the like, then talks about "the lonely road of faith" ... quite ambivalent, it seems. It's not just him, either. I sincerely doubt that Papa Roach means most of what they say, like their "It's in our nature to KILL KILL KILL!" from Blood Brothers, or the whole bit about contemplating suicide in Last Resort. Limp Bizkit is notorious for fakeness too. At least they keep theirs to basic stuff about breaking things and the like. Nothing really important in any of their songs, except maybe "ain't it a shame that you can't say ****? ****'s just a word, and it's all ****ed up".
    My point was just that there are some good lyricists out there, and they deserve our respect. The rest should be respected for playing good songs, or for writing them, but that's a whole other story, isn't it?

So, it seems that for all our arguments, we have agreed all along. :dizzy2:

16. UrashimaKeitaro

I love happy endings! (well... not all the time... just in real life)
    I think I was making that point in my epistle earlier.
    I've listened to Linkin Park, and while they are not my *favorite* per se, they are a good band.

-UK

17. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

i like them cuz thier music kind of rock music

18. Energizer Bunny

Energizer Bunny i wuv you

oooo have any of you guys heard 'its going down' by the executioners and linkin park?IT IS SOOOO COOL! its really new so i dunno if anyone knows about it but if you want to download it its so worth it. if youre a fan of linkin park i think you might like it(not exactly like them but close enough) anyway just letting ya know!

19. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

bunny!, yeah i just saw the video for that 10 minutes ago on Kerrang tv. thought it was a single for a new linkin park album so i was going "yaay", but it wasn't :(

still a great track though, I'm dl'ing it now.

20. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I just download it ...

I just download it and now I am hearing it and it is soo
    c:cool::cool:l ...

~Zanza

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.