Anime Most Overrated Anime Series?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Star Princess, Sep 22, 2003.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

True. I'm surprised it's been as civil as it has thus far. As long as everyone behaves, we won't see this topic go bye-bye.

I agree with the general landslide that says DBZ and Sailor Moon are overrated. Humungous and bloated fanbases over them, and there is tons of other really great topnotch anime out there that few know about.

Trigun and Cowboy Bebop were mentioned once each already. I heard tons about these for about a year or so before finally getting around to seeing them. And while they have their moments, I don't quite agree that they merited so much attention. Cowboy Bebop was good, but not quite to the masterpiece level the fans cater it to. Trigun downright dragged on at points and required forced watching to get to the good stuff.

2. Kasumi-chan

Kasumi-chan New Member

Animes such as DBZ and Yu Gi Oh just seem to go on forever repeating the near enough same story where there is an enemy which they must defeat. oh wow new skills are gained through all this boring fighting too! Oh! The excitement! (sacasm)
    ^_^ it seems most people have heard of those boring ones.
    I bet if you said fushigi yuugi to a crowd of 100 random people about 90% would think "whats she/he on about"
    Yet if you say Dragon Ball Z to the same crowd they would...well I dunno but most would know what it was!! uck.....
    Animes with plots deserve fame!!!!!!

3. Fushigi Rockna

Ya know, I'm glad you dind't mention up the 'always' wins' thing. The good guys ALWAYS win in anime it's just the law :p It's just in those types of animes it's more obvious and therefore 'wrong'.

it depends which random people you're gathering up girl. Otaku SHOULD know what FY, it's very popular just not as muchas those other shows.

Now if it were Utena you were tlaking about *cough*

*shivers* Can't I like YGO and FY at the same time? *pouts* Why is it wrong for me to like a show that people say is over rated because alot of kids watch it? *teensy bit sarcastic*
    Why is a show aimed at youngin's under 10 an over rated show because they like it? i don't get society, they seem to have the wrong meaning of over rated...

4. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

Actually its X, Zako was correct.
    Viz had to name the Manga X/1999 because DarkHorse had a manga called X already or something like that.
    The movie and Anime are Called X too!

anyway, I think DBZ IS overrated....

I mean COMEON!
    Oh no!! Goku Died!! ...lets wish him back to life with the dragonballs....Oh no!! Goku Died Again!!...lets wish him back to life with the dragonballs.... and so on....

what kind of anime is that? ~_~

*Makes Goku's body expload with mind..*

"Much better :D"

(crys....I dont think Yu-Gi-Oh has a repeating plot.....)

5. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I succesfully didn't like X after one episode. I'm tired of nihilistic bishes with attitudes. I hate watching them act bad with their angel faces and skinny twerpy builds. I hear it gets better.. if the viewer likes greek tragedy kinda stuff. Not going to go there though.

BMS: agreed with Trigun too. I mentioned CB because I hear more about it so I figured it was teh winnar in the overrated category. I decided a while back that it tries to subsist entirely on "cool," sorta like the Matrix. I did watch all of it though, unlike Trigun. Could never muster the will. "It gets better later" is not enough to get me to watch filler.

Then there's Evangelion: overrated in my own mind. A bunch of near eastern religious themes tossed willy nilly into a pot with a sulking boy we're all supposed to identify with because we are losers. He's surrounded by chicks! It gives us hope. Bah. Throw in some obligatory shocking moments and plenty of destruction padded with psychobabble and you have a movie too.

Ranma. Without Kuno, a run of the mill everyone loves the main character comedy, which relies on a violent girl for a lot of its laughs. The bit with the water was interesting though.

Love Hina: how many times are we expected to swallow the one guy many girls crap? Let's stuff as many pretty girls in this show as we can, like clowns in a Volkswagen and the guys will come drooling.. err running.

I must admit I was suckered too and was unhappy to see Love Hina end. Luckily there was a new series some were touting as a good replacement for it: Onegai Teacher. Too bad it had turned into the neverending blah by the end. It's no wonder the "sequel" has crap all to do with the original. Fresh start definately needed there.

I can't think of any more Sacred Cows right now. Maybe later. This thread is a fun place to let off steam.

6. Fushigi Rockna

*huggles* thank lord, we're not the only ones. T-T

Anything CLAMP can easily be over rated. CCS, X, and Chobits are the most over rated of their creations tbh. Tokyo Babylon gets no phrase! *cries* Niether does Clover! *cries more* Or RG Veda! *cries soem more* RayEarth has the exact right amount of phrase. :)

7. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos New Member

I know most people are going to hate me for this, but I think the most over rated anime is CowBoy Bepop. I mean. I like it and all, but I still dont think it's as appealing as people make it out to be.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

I know!! :mad: I ask around and some people just give me a weird look and say, "You mean that show Babylon 5?"

I swear.........<swears>
    ....oh Malik...*swoon*

'I sound so yaoi right now....' Fuuma thought..

9. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I watched the first volume of Tokyo Babylon and I must say that it was sort of boring.Does it get better later on?

And isn't it a prelude to X?I know it has Subaru in it.

10. Fushigi Rockna

Yeah that's what it was. i myself never read it, but I heard it's alot better than X.

Btw, i think X is VERY over rated. The plotline isn't as great as some people *coughcoughkamuicough* make it seem.
    CardCaptor Sakura i also the biggest over rated thing CLAMP ever created. Sure it's good, but it's not the greatest thing ever.

Oh yeah, Ranma 1/2 is over rated. yup yup

Fuuma: Do you mean Malik from YGO!? O.O well um, okay, as long as you stay away from Seto-kun (yeah I know you were joking but joke like that again and you'll meet Mr. Chainsaw.)

Remember children, FR says to be over rated it can't be just ebcause it sucks! :)

11. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

Wow, and I thought it was WEIRD that I wasn't obsessed with X like many people think I should be. :/ I like CLAMP a little -- certain series are pretty good (Rayearth, CLOVER, CCS), but others are just okay or plain dull in my opinion (X, Chobits, Wish). X was beautiful -- no one can deny the fact that CLAMP has style -- but a story that consists mostly of TWO WHOLE PAGES of no text and symbolic (repeated) images just isn't my cup of tea. Think of how much story they could have crammed into those panels, or even just a few meaningful words. Not to mention that the story drags on for quite a long time before anything decisive happens. I find it kind of funny that CLAMP is still working on X in 2003 when the world was supposed to end in 1999 in the story... that makes it feel aged already.

Almost every CLAMP series has been overrated, at least when I've talked to people about them. I've never read a CLAMP series that was "the best story in the world" or anything -- I've read some good ones, but it's nothing to write home about. And now they're doing crossovers of old series, which just doesn't make me happy at all. Notably, these have NOT been overrated -- quite a few reviews of the new crossover series XXXholic and Tsubasa are really negative towards the whole crossover thing.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

Lol I am an X Fanatic, but I really only like it for its enigmatic characters (FUUMA!!!!!!!). The Story is kinda dull......sorta....

haha, yeah (good thing you knew I was joking :D)
    meh, Malik is my hubby.......lol jk? (Am I just kidding????)

(°-°)

~*Slightly Confuzzled about his Sexuality, Foomz*~

13. Fushigi Rockna

Fuuma: o_O you are one odd dude.

Femme: I HATE CLAMP crossovers! They are so increative! They cna't even think of brand new storylines with brand new characters they're getting so lazy! --

14. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

CLAMP's going from overrated to selling out! :dizzy2:

I always suspected it would happen at some point, and here it is - CLAMP's decided to trade new characters with interesting stories for a quick cash cow. Not surprising. I'm sure by the time the crossovers come out here, they will end up being gushed over by a lot of people and hyped up like all the other series until people realize that they're being ripped off. After all, it's CLAMP! They can't do ANYTHING wrong! ;)

15. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

The only reason why shows are overrated is because people like them so much. It gets hard for the creators to keep the story going. So they repeat the story and change a few things. Whatever sells.

I would have to agree some shows are overrated. I hate the toys that come out for them. Like the Beyblade toys those are so dumb. I like the games but the toys give me a headache.

I will defend a couple of shows now.

First off Yu Gi Oh is a great show. It don't have repeating story lines. In the Anime it starts off with Kaiba wanting the blue eyes white dragon from Yu Gi grandfather. Kaiba gets it and destroys the BEWD card. Yu Gi has to help his grandfather and win over Kaiba. Yu Gi does by summing a card that has NEVER been summoned before Xedoia. We all learn that Yu Gi and Yamis heart of the cards work by now.

Next story line. After Kaibas defeat Pegasus wants Kaiba Corp and sees this as the perfect opportunity to go for it. But Kaibas partners in the Corp. wont go with it till Peggie defeats Yu Gi. So Peggie sets up the island of duel monsters for this deed. Yu Gi doesn't go along with it. So Peggies steals his grandfathers soul. Yu Gi must go and duel Peggie to obtain it. Kaiba also has to for Mokuba (Kaibas brother). In Duelest Kingdom Kaiba wins over Yu Gi by cheating. He still wins though. So Kaiba goes on and battles
    Peggie. Peggie wins and takes Kaibas soul. Yu Gi and Yami both fight Peggie together. They win over him with the heart of the cards. Heart of the cards work. :D

Others story lines deal with Kaibas company wanting to take Kaiba Corp., Dungeon Dice monsters, and the God monsters. I shall point out that the Monsters were actual live monsters and the great pharaoh (Yami) sealed them away because they were almost controlling the Earth. Peggie was the one who made the cards and he is called the creator of duel monster. In the storyline the monsters soul (or whatever is sealed away). So yeah they have to save the world with cards but it is more from the power sealed within the cards.

All story lines are different but they tie into the BIG story line. :p It deals with the heart of the cards never being wrong. I like Animes that show heart. I don't know why I just do. The only thing overrated about YGO is the stupid card game. I like the real video games though. The card game would have been better if it was like the actual Anime only 4 BEWD, only 1 set of Xedoia cards, 3 God cards, and etc. Look at the Manga for YGO there are a lot of different things then the Anime. Actually sit down and watch the battles with the cards you may end up liking them.

DBZ, DB, or DBGT do have repeating story lines. It is overrated but I still like it. One thing I hate is all the toys for it. Give me a break already. The head glows on the Vegeta doll. Ugh gag me with a spoon. Plus those happy meal toys. *shutters* I never played the Dragonball video games yet so I have no opinion on them. I like the anime a lot. But I hate the way they ruined Gohan in DBGT. He is a nerd. I cannot believe they did that to him. :(

I do like DBZ and DB a lot. It is after all the best fighting Anime. It may have repeating story lines but Goku isn't always the winner. From what I have heard Gohan won against Cell. So Goku always isn't the victor. :p Goku by the way can only come back by the dragonballs one time (me thinks) that is all. As FR pointed out that in Animes the good guys must always win. Otherwise there would be no story.

Yu Yu Hakusho is another great anime in my opinion. Not at all over rated. I have seen cards but they have not really caught on yet. Never played the video games either. In the Anime and Manga Yusuke dies. How many Animes or Mangas have the first character die in it? Not a lot I guess. I like spirit thing with Yusuke being a ghost at first kind of fits in. Also in the begging I think everyone was supposed to hate Yusuke. He is a troubel maker. Yusuke picks fights and is a big bully. After he saves the life of the kid and it takes his own life Yusuke is actually a good guy deep down. The fights are great and the story line barley repeats itself unless you count the good guys always winning as one but I don't.

I won't even debate about Sailor Moon which I also like.

I like an Anime because it is good. I do not care if others don't like it. I watch what I watch. It is as simple as that.

If you watch the show and get your own opinion on it then maybe the show won't be so over rated to you. You cannot say that the show is too over rated because people watch it. It just doesn't make any sense. The Anime is popular because a lot of people like it. Of course there are going to be merchandise for it. You can also not just rate the show on the one episode you see. Stop getting angry because people know about the show you like. Tell them about it and allow them to formulate their own thoughts on it. Maybe it will catch on like Yu Gi Oh did. :p

I also like Beyblade. Don't you dare say it is over rated. *Glaries at you* I do hate the spinning tops though. It is not the same without the bit beasts inside.

16. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

OMG a post longer than mine

Not to offend, but it seems that in defending those anime, you are just going through a laundry list of anime you have seen on CN.

You enjoy those shows, so that's cool. All I want to say is that all those anime you are defending are the kind that appear on Cartoon Network. If people are saying they are overrated, it is because they have seen other anime, anime that isn't made to appeal to the kids that watch CN, anime that hasn't been slaughtered with dubbed voices etc. If you'd take the time to see something that wasn't on CN, you too might think that SM, DB, YGO etc are overrated.

sure I can. People watch it because it is on CN and easily accessible, all the time not knowing that there is much better stuff out there.

In short, it just seems to me that those who say they are overrated have actually seen other anime, while those who defend tham have not, and thus don't know what they are missing. (note, this is very overgeneralized so of course there are exceptions. thank you)

17. Fushigi Rockna

You dio realize beyblade is BASED off the toy?

I counted how many times you said Kaiba btw, 13 in all. :p Okay, sorry, but that's for anyone who doubts my obsession which is rather small. :p

Also, YGO ain't on CN, it's on WB and YTV. :D

Sorry, being a loud mouth.

18. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

FR: I am a VERY odd person....yepyep :D :D

Anyway, here in America.....I think, Yu-Gi-OH is also shown on Cartoon Network.....lol

~*Confusing a Lot of people with his "Pot-Head" costume, Foomz*~

19. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

You are correct Fuuma it is on CN on the Video Entertainment Center at 7:30 ever Saturday night and at 10:00 PM Mon-Thurs. I feel smart

-Zako

20. Kei

Kei New Member

Gundam is the most overrated anime ever.