Video Games PS2 vs. GameCube vs. X-Box

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by blood_pheonix, Nov 29, 2002.

?

Which is the best?

1. PS2

57 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. GameCube

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. X-Box

28 vote(s)
    27.7%
  1. blood_pheonix

blood_pheonix New Member

which is better?

PS2: Large array of games, great looking console, Platnium Games, heaps of add ons and stuff.

GameCube: Good history, Sturdy console, small compact size, small compact cds.

X-Box: Powerful.

2. Kaneda_345

Kaneda_345 The Star Stealing Boy

PS2.

The PS2 may not be the most powerful system,but alot of good games are on it.I voted for PS2.

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I voted Cube.

I prefer games and systems of quality, and in my many many years of owning Nintendo products, I've never had a breakdown of ANYTHING. Even when my Gameboy lost the protective plate for its screen it was fine until about 4 months ago, and even then i was gonna get an Advance anyway... still it lasted more than a decade...

I love you, Gameboy...

Anyway, Nintendo also has extremely rigorous bug-testing.

Overall I've never been dissapointed with a nintendo system. The virtual boy I never tried though so I cant say anything about *that*....

Plus, there are certain series of games I *love* that are Nintendo only...

so mostly brand-loyalty here.

4. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

Well...It really comes down to personal preference.

I like the PS2, it's got some Squaresoft support and a history of great games.

I loathe the X-Box. LOATHE IT FROM THE DEPTHES OF MY BOWELS. It crashes, it's unreliable, its a computer. I have a computer.

I love Cube. Although the 64 was a flop, Nintendo is more than making up for it already with SSB Melee (MAY-LAY not MEE-LEE), Metroid Prime, SM Sunshine, and Starfox Adventure.

But the my new prized possesion is my GBA. Think about it: More powerful than the SNES and fits in your hand. Great games such as Ogre Tactics: Knights of (something), FFTactics 2, and Metrod Fusion. Ports of SNES games are forthcoming, as is Doom 2 and Doom 3. GBA is God.

5. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I vote for none. I'm an absolute believer in the greatness of all three.

PS2 gets games, and has the games. It's the least powerful of the new systems, but it holds its own very well. The controller is also the easiest thing to hold in the world, followed closely by the 'Cube. A downside is that it's so damn hard to program for this system, as the major anti-aliasing problems attested to in the early stages of development. I'm pretty sure some companies had some alpha problems too, either that or my PS2 is defective in that Tidus sometimes looks pretty block-headed, literally.

'Cube gets my Nintendo vote. Nintedo always comes up with reliability and playability. Though, the N64 kinda pissed me off with that damn analog stick of theirs. I mean, that was as fragile as glass...probably, and most likely, even more so. But, they have really fun games, and I play them at work whenever I can spare the time when I'm at break. But, Nintendo always does good jobs, and the fact that they're integrating even the gameboy into full-on gameplay with the 'Cube is very innovative, just like Nintendo is apt to do. Downside is that Nintendo keeps the exclusivity up by just making a data CD, so you buy a game console, not a "multi-media" console. And I like space savers, and the other two systems are space savers.

Xbox is awesome. I mean, I agree with AAA in that it's a computer, but it's easily overlooked. That direction is what happens to be the direction the PS2 is headed in...as soon as that damn HDD FINALLY hits here. They only have a few good games, but they're games that I MUST get into my collection...Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid 2, (hehehe) Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball, and such. And I'm interested in trying to overclock the thing...as I'm sure you've heard of some people putting a Celeron 900 in there for kicks. :p

6. Stos

Stos New Member

I voted for the PS2 cus it may have took them one and half to two years but they finally have some must buy games either already out or coming out. Because have lack of funds I only own three games, which are GTA III, WWE SmackDown! Shut Your mouth, and Legaia 2 Dual Saga. Games that are already out that I want to get are SOCOM, GTA Vice City. Shinobi, Dragonball Z Bukodai, Suikoden III, and the list goes on. Two games that are not out yet that I defintely want to get more than any others are Silent Hill 3 and Tomb Radier The Angel of Darkness.
    I hate the XBOX cus of there big and odd shapped and odd arranged of buttons and control sticks on their controllers. Also not so great games and hate the way you move characters esp. in first person games.
    I could maybe someday see myself getting a Nintendo Gamecube. Probably just to play the Resident Evil games again too. I would also probably get Super Smach Bros. Melee and Metroid Prime. Well I dunno about Metroid, I hate most first person games. I just like to see my character in games and hate just being able to see my gun, but Metroid seems different. The next Zelda looks really stupid to me, looks worse than the very first one. It looks like a child's cartoon game. And Super Mario Sunshine :sweat2: Give me a break.
    So that is why I voted for the PS2.:p

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I was put off by Sunshine too at first but believe me, its fun. Very very fun.

My only crticism is that it feels short. Shorter than Mario 64.

However I have no way of verifying that.

8. Kinryuu

Kinryuu New Member

Xbox rules, PS2 drools

Well, MY xbox has never crashed. And I love the fact that it's a computer. Nvidia chipset, 10Gb HDD, Intel P3 733, etc. etc. And I know lots of other people who own Xboxen, and they don't crash either. Strange.

I also love the fact that all the great PS2 games end up coming out on Xbox only with lots of improvements, for example: MGS2, SW: Starfighter, Dynasty Warriors 3, etc. etc.

And don't get me started on graphics. I played on my cousin's PS2 over thanksgiving and laughed at the crappy Madden 2002 graphics when compared to the graphics on my Xbox.

Oh, and online play is the best out there. Built-in ethernet port and a hard drive. Sweetness.

So, you can loathe the Xbox all you want, but it truly is superior to the PS2.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. PS2 don't got no Halo!

And a lot of people complain about the controller and that's valid. However, there is a lot more variety in Xbox controllers than PS2 or GC. Oh geez... the GC controller... don't get me started on that piece of hud. And if you've ever played Goldeneye on N64, the Xbox control scheme really isn't that different from that. Of course nothing will be able to match a keyboard and mouse for speed and accuracy, but hey, that's the way it is on consoles.

9. blood_pheonix

blood_pheonix New Member

Re: Xbox rules, PS2 drools

10Gb HDD

-its 8gb, isnt it?

I also love the fact that all the great PS2 games end up coming out on Xbox only with lots of improvements, for example: MGS2, SW: Starfighter, Dynasty Warriors 3, etc. etc.

-i would rather be playing the NEW "Dynasty tactics" on PS2 than be stuck with the YEAR OLD Danasty Warriors 3 (not saying that that is not a good game)

Oh, and online play is the best out there. Built-in ethernet port and a hard drive. Sweetness.

-So? ps2 is online aswell (but bloody Australia hasnt got it yet)

So, you can loathe the Xbox all you want,

-i think i will

Oh yeah, and one more thing. PS2 don't got no Halo!

-oh yeah, X-box dont got no
    -GTA 3/ vice city
    -GT 3
    -Rachet and clank
    -The sims
    -Kingdom hearts
    -Spyro, enter the dragon fly
    -The getaway
    -Red Faction 2
    -Devil May Cry 1 and 2
    -WWE Smack down
    -Auto Modellista
    -burn out 2
    -DBZ Budokai
    -Starfox Adventures
    -Eternal Darkness
    -Super Mario Sunshine
    -Mario Party 4
    -The Sims
    -Tekken Tag/ 4
    -and the list goes on...

Of course nothing will be able to match a keyboard and mouse for speed and accuracy, but hey, that's the way it is on consoles.

-Next time u see a ps2, look under the controller ports. U see those 2 little plug holes, u see? they are USB plugs, and guess wat they are for. u should know, u own a comp. yes, thats right, for a mouse and keyboard:p

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

11. blood_pheonix

blood_pheonix New Member

12. Kinryuu

Kinryuu New Member

Re: Re: Xbox rules, PS2 drools

-its 8gb, isnt it?

Actually, depends on what country you bought it in.

-i would rather be playing the NEW "Dynasty tactics" on PS2 than be stuck with the YEAR OLD Danasty Warriors 3 (not saying that that is not a good game)

Ok, and I would rather be playing Mechassault and Unreal Championship. So?

-So? ps2 is online aswell (but bloody Australia hasnt got it yet)

Right... with an external ethernet adapter that you have to pay extra for. And my Xbox's internal HDD will be storing all the downloadable content, etc. Oh, I guess the PS2 has a external hard drive... that you have to pay extra for. Oh please, let me spend more money!

-oh yeah, X-box dont got no
    -GTA 3/ vice city
    -GT 3
    -Rachet and clank
    -The sims
    -Kingdom hearts
    -Spyro, enter the dragon fly
    -The getaway
    -Red Faction 2
    -Devil May Cry 1 and 2
    -WWE Smack down
    -Auto Modellista
    -burn out 2
    -DBZ Budokai
    -Starfox Adventures
    -Eternal Darkness
    -Super Mario Sunshine
    -Mario Party 4
    -The Sims
    -Tekken Tag/ 4
    -and the list goes on...

Are any of these games supposed to be good? I'll give you GTA3 and Vice City, but the rest of those games are crap. (My wife just hit me, she likes The Sims and Mario Party.) I'd rather have the Xbox exclusive games than the PS2/GCN exclusive games.

Like:
    Halo
    Morrowind
    Mechassault
    Unreal Championship
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Splinter Cell
    Starcraft: Ghost

-Next time u see a ps2, look under the controller ports. U see those 2 little plug holes, u see? they are USB plugs, and guess wat they are for. u should know, u own a comp. yes, thats right, for a mouse and keyboard:p

Oh, so you can just plug in your PC's keyboard and mouse and use it? (I don't own a PS2, so I don't know.) That IS nice if it's the case. However, if you can only use proprietary Sony keyboards and mice, that sucks.

And that 7 reasons Xbox can suck it is just plain silly. It was worth a few laughs.

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Super Mario Sunshine is a hell of a lot of fun. At first I just thought "What the hell, why did I buy this?" but after playing for just about 30 minutes "Hey, I like this!"

Then after a few hours...

"Oh, this is great!"

Mario Party is awesome.

As for your comment about the 7 Reaons being silly...

"Everything... is either out on another console, mediocre or a boring PC port."
    True.
    "Here are some examples of the bullshit games on the Xbox:

Max Payne - Wait, so not only do I lose the ability to adjust my resolution and system specs to improve performance, but I get a game that's been out for months on PC already? Where do I sign? The game's not too bad, but why bother with it on Xbox when it's on PC already?

Nightcaster - How original, a rushed third-person RPG title with four magic types: light, dark, fire and water. But wait, here's where the strategy comes in: use water against fire, light against dark enemies, etc. Brilliant.

Blood Wake - I liked this game better when it was called Twisted Metal and you drove cars instead of boats. Unoriginal, uninspired.

Azurik: Rise of Perathia - Would have been more aptly titled "Azurik: Onset of Paralysis." Bad gameplay, poor camera, muddy textures, lame characters. Does the fun ever start?

Star Wars: Obi-Wan - More like "Star Wars: Obi-Wanna-Play-A-Different-Game." Poor AI, poor controls, boring environments. Any non-geeks care to play this? Doubtful.

Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon - Broken gameplay, bad camera work, cheesy voice acting, and the game crashes. All this crap for just $50? It's a win/win situation for publishers: put a lackluster effort into development and make boat-loads of cash off of suck-er.. customers."

"Over 25% of the surface area on the controller is wasted by a giant green Xbox jewel--you know, in case you forget what system you're playing in between loading screens. "

True.

"just because you have all the raw material to make a great system doesn't mean it's going to be great. "

True. I still play NES roms all the time (never had a real NES myself) and its great!

[​IMG]

14. Kinryuu

Kinryuu New Member

RED FACTION anyone? The PC version was bad enough... but they decided it should be on PS2 as well.

And the statement "Everything... is either out on another console, mediocre or a boring PC port" is just blatantly false. Halo, Mechassault, Splinter Cell, Starcraft: Ghost will not be on PS2. That's why it's silly.

If you like having all your buttons mashed into as small an area as possible, then I guess the GCN and PS controllers are great, and the Xbox controller would appear wasteful. But I LIKE having things spread out. The above statement ASSUMES that EVERYONE likes having all the buttons in as small a space as physically possible. Therefore, it is silly.

Well, I'm glad you still have fun with your NES roms, but I can guarantee that Final Fantasy X will NEVER run on your NES emulator.

Also, Genma Onimusha is far superior to Onimusha Warlords. Better graphics, added gameplay features, and more material. Just another example of what I've mentioned before.

In conclusion, I know there are a lot of people that would much rather own a PS2 than an Xbox. I can respect that. But don't spread misinformation like "Xboxen crash all the time. They suck." That's just stupid. I do like hearing reasonable commentary like, "These are sucky games for this reason, Xbox sucks for this reason." But the 7 reasons is just stupid. It doesn't add to anyone's arguments, just makes you look like a fanboy.

As soon as PS2 shows ANY kind of superiority to Xbox, I will be the first to admit it. The ONLY thing going for the PS2 are a few of the games. A FEW. Like GTA3. And maybe one or two others. All the rest of the good ones, Xbox already has versions of, or very soon will have. And as far as GCN is concerned, they have TONS of good unique games, but I don't really have any desire to play Mario Sunshine, Star Fox adventures, or any of the others. And Nintendo and Microsoft have both admitted to targetting their games to different audiences. The average Xbox gamer is around 24. Nintendo is targetting young teens.

Anyway, IMHO, Xbox is a better choice than PS2. If you like the games that are exclusive to PS2, then you should definitely have it. I'm not knocking that at all. And the 7 reasons against Xbox insult the intelligence of anyone who has an Xbox, or even considered getting one. There's no reason for insults.

15. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

First of all, we're referring to games *already out*.

Second, regarding the controller, they can be wide-spread without such an unnecessary piece of flare.

As for your comment about FFX, not only do I not care about FFX, but its a PS2 game. ;)

As for the insults on the site, it insults everyone to begin with. It's like entering a dumb and complaining about the smell.

16. Kinryuu

Kinryuu New Member

The ONLY game I mentioned that wasn't already out was Starcraft: Ghost.

Well, I've ALWAYS been function over form. And the centerpiece does not interfere with my gameplay at all. It's not distracting. It's just there. If you think it's ugly or distracting, okay. That's fine. But seriously, when it comes to game controllers, it's all about button layout. The controller could look like vomit as long as it's ergonomic.

Right, but you were using NES as an example of why superior hardware does not equate with a superior product. I used FFX to show that your argument is self-defeating.

I went to the site because someone posted it, and someone else thought it was a good site... "Amen to that" is what was said. Just because I CAN post a dump of a site, doesn't mean I should.

17. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Ok, I made a mistake.

The original quote was talking about the only good game being X-Box, then "Everything... is" the ... was the removal of "else". Misleading but I didnt want to explain what the good games where.

Regardless of how good your technology is, good games and crap games can come about.

Even if we had holodecks.

"Holodeck enemas, get 'em here!"

18. Kinryuu

Kinryuu New Member

I agree completely.

And that stupid Fair Haven came from the holodeck, so...

19. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

:D

Truce.

Unite against bad games!

20. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

Currently PS2 is my favorite (And thanks to the upcoming release of Devil May Cry 2, shall more than likely remain that way for a while). Though Game Cube is a close second mainly because of games like Eternal Darkness (Not sure if this is out for other systems, I got it when it first came out for Game Cube), and of course all the remakes of the Resident Evil games coming out, as well as Resident Evil 0. X-Box is alright, but personally I'm having more fun with my Super Nintendo than that. Though there were a few okay games on there, like Hunter: The Reckoning (though I believe that Hunter is being released for other systems, if it already isn't), Tony Hawk 2X, Genma Onimusha, and basically just the remakes. Halo I wasn't all that impressed with, so bleh. Thing that pisses me off about X-Box is it's damn big. >< I have my Game Cube and Dreamcast sitting nicely right on top of it. Anyways... I like all three (well, maybe like is a bit too much for X-Box... more like it's tolerable, and I have yet to have any form of performance problems with it), but PS2 is top on my list.