Video Games PS2 vs. GameCube vs. X-Box

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by blood_pheonix, Nov 29, 2002.

?

Which is the best?

1. PS2

57 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. GameCube

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. X-Box

28 vote(s)
    27.7%
  1. Axel

Axel New Member

PS2 PS2 PS2 is the best.

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Thank you for that informative, well researched post.

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

For about ten minutes.

It took me next to no time to adapt to it. The only thing that took me a bit of getting used to was the new Z button position and the C-Stick. Thats it.

Elsewise, I had no trouble.

And yes, the X-Box is just a computer with a controller. Complete with crashes.

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

PS2 crashes too. Well, freezes, just like the XBox. Well, guess what? So does the gamecube! That's just maintenance issues, although the XBox is a bit more susceptible to it because it *might* run hotter then normal.

Also, the PS2 will ALSO be "just" a computer, when the HDD comes out. So why slag the Xbox for that? Can the PS2 get custom songs on some of their games? Well, when the HDD comes out. Can the PS2 go online? Does right now. Can the PS2 play DVDs? Does right out of the box. Can the PS2 play GAMES? Yup, JUST like the Xbox. Does the PS2 have a processor? YEAH! JUST like the Xbox. In fact, the Xbox's processor is also about twice as fast.

It just depends on what you really want to play, User18 and Neph. Heh. Some people don't like Square, so they couldn't care less about Final Fantasy not being on the 'Box. Some people love Splinter Cell, or Halo, or whatever is just out for Xbox. Some people love Metroid, and won't get a gaming system without it.

Don't put the 'Box down just because Microcrap made it, it's a pretty good system all on its own. Well, go ahead thinking that the PS2 is above the rest...I don't mind. But just don't get it into your head that none of the other game systems aren't computers. ^_^

Edit: Well, I STILL own both, so it doesn't really matter, now does it?

5. blood_pheonix

blood_pheonix New Member

XBOX is MORE of a computer than PS2.
    buuuuuuttttt................
    DOA BEACH VOLLEY BALL is on XBOX
    so, my liking for x-box goes up 1 percent.
    actually. 2 percent.
    nonono. 3.
    :)
    i might get it. xbox.
    maybe. if i have money (which i dont)

6. Stos

Stos New Member

I am going to have to agree with everything blood_pheonix said. And X Box games do eventually come out for the PC or even for other consoles even if it is an X Box exclusive game. You just have to wait a year or two which does not bother me. Wasn't Splinter Cell an X Box exclusive game, now it is coming out for all the consoles. Because of that reason and the fact Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Skies of Arcadia Legends are either coming out or already out and are only for GC is the reason the next console I am going to buy is the GameCube.

7. Omnidragon

Omnidragon New Member

If you choose the X-Box solely because of its graphics, does that mean you chose the N64 over the PS1? In my country, Nintendo doesn't go very far in attracting consumers over 15. Being a 17-yr old, I must express dislike over the GC.

The X-Box definitely has some nasty games. But without online capabilities, games such as Halo become very repetitive. The best racing game is Initial D Arcade Stage II, which is most likely coming out on the PS2. The PS2 will also have the better fighting games - after all it's a Japanese-orientated system. Games such as DOA and Tekken just aren't good enough. A button masher with no brains can pull off 9 hit combos with characters such as Ayane (DOA I/II/III) or Hwang (Tekken III/IV). Games such as KOF,and MOTW are what I would consider as sophisticated beat-em-ups (gameplay-wise).

We could expect the "jock"/"skip" culture to dominate X-Box games. Tony Hawks anybody? Frankly I don't like Tony Hawks.

Besides, the PS2 seems to be the only console that offers MMORPG at the moment. Unless X-Box can secure the release of a MMORPG with a good reputation or Shenmue III on their system, it is highly likely that I will not buy it.

While Shenmue II can probably compete with the FF series, Grandia, Xenosaga etc etc on PS2, it is a Sega game and I have a DC. ^_^

So my vote goes to the PS2 because I am much more of a J-fanboy than a "jock".

8. blood_pheonix

blood_pheonix New Member

y diss tekken for?
    i LOVE that game...
    button mashers give me the shits, but if u r truly great at tekken, than, u can beat anyone. (eva_001 is a good tekken player. he can beat me anytime wif paul, and he dosnt button mash at all, he knows wat hes doing)
    but................
    i agree wif u. PS2!

9. Wings of Valmar

Wings of Valmar New Member

Well, my vote went for Gamecube. Could be because I've never really played PS2 or XBox. I hear so many different things about XBox. My cousin hates them and the guys from my church seem to worship them. PS2 seems pretty cool, I might get one sometime.

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

You are the only person I know who thinks the 64 had better graphics.

Every system has Tony Hawk. Hell, Gameboy Advance has a Tony Hawk game.

Besides, some games, we don't play with the intent of being cool.

Some we play just to torture the player character.

edit: Also, many many many people will buy BMX XXX just so they can see some boobies. Not to be cool.

Gamecube. Phantasy Star Online.

11. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Splintercell is coming out for all systems because Ubisoft saw its potential.

Xbox is also getting Phantasy Star Online.

N64 had a higher bitrate...but the PS1 still had better graphics because games still get developed for it, thus pushing its limit.

In other news, Izzy can't wait for ZOE2. Hideo Kojima is finally doing some hardcore work on it, and it shows in the game screens. Oh, and the Gradius ship is in there. Hehehehe. It's an Ender, but...still.

12. Omnidragon

Omnidragon New Member

Hey come on, we got to admit that the Xbox is western-orientated. There might be other consoles with Tony Hawk's too... but Xbox is dominated by them!

13. Red Tail

Red Tail New Member

[xbox] with live, it may be $50 for the starter kit: headset, two demos, and for the year; there's free downloads (and patches if needed) online, pretty much every month(varies on game and luanch date). i have ps2, but i thought xbox would be a better bet for online gaming...
    [PS2]
    (i dont have it online enabled)i dont know about the ps2 online, i have that socom game but not that adapter thing. and someone told me you pay a bill separate for servers or something?? this cant be right...

14. Kirei na kimyou

Kirei na kimyou New Member

Mmmm, though choice...
    Gamecube and ps2 would definetly be the best ones...
    the gamecube has many good titles known to me...the ps2 does have many good titles, too, as it's always been, i just need to find them...
    the x-box...nah, not so many good titles imo.
    Although, i can play both gamecube and ps2 so that's ok for me :D

15. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

No, you have it mixed up.

Xbox live is 50 bucks to start, 10 a year to keep the service. PS2 is just an adaptor, and you just feed it off your cable or DSL modem. The separate part comes from the fact that you *don't* pay another bill, yearly or anything, as of right now.

16. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

In lastest news the PS2 Is still selling more systems then the X-box and Game Cube.. So that in itself should tell you that the only way to go is Sony.. Unless you just wont one or to games that the other systems have..

And that new DOA beach volleyball game the X-box has just goes to show you have much money Microsoft is willing to spend to attrack more buyers for the X-box!

KAME

17. blood_pheonix

blood_pheonix New Member

does anyone have a site, as in an official non-biased site where it tells the actual statics of sales and stuff?
    cause i hate it when people make up bullshit.
    like some guy i know said that x-box sold more consols than ps2 when it reached its half year, and first year mark. and then he goes on about all other ****, like "xbox has more games coming out at the moment than ps2." or "x-box is planning to buy sony".
    my ****ing arse, dickhead.

18. Kirei na kimyou

Kirei na kimyou New Member

Gee, calm down.
    I think we can safely assume, though, that the ps2 has most games out as it has been out longest of all the consoles.
    And yes, since the last time i checked on a sales list, the ps2 sold like 50.000 units and the gamecube/x-box not even about 10.000 i think...

But it might change, though. It's an old list and the sales for the cube has gone up with the free offer they're authoring.