Recreation War in Iraq protest.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nephilim_X, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

my comment was in reply to this statement

which I find to be an incredibly immature viewpoint. if killing one man would save two.. would you do it? .. if gilling 100,000 would save a million? .. at what point does one mans life become expendable?

is it american lives > iraqi's? and that it doesn't matter how many iraqi's die so long as no americans, those bastions of democracy and freedom in the western world, get hurt?

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

you wouldn't? and you wouldn't want anyone else to? If some cop sees a guy on a shooting rampage (insert dig at american gun laws here), you would expect him to ignore the guy? I would want the cop to take him down. (insert crack about america thinking it's the world's policeman)

Not sure where you get off telling people not to defend themselves. If Iraq poses a risk, it should be dealt with.

Now Ireland on the other hand is a model of peace, where everyone lives in harmony with one another. Of course Mordeth, you personally have not gone to Belfast and set off a car bomb, so it's pretty pointless of me to bring that up in a discussion with you. About as dumb as it is to call us all ****ing americans for something our government might do, and which may be justified (as if you, or any of us here know all the facts necessary to make such a big decision)

3. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

not quite what i was talking about...
    if someone handed you a gun and told you to shoot your mother, or they'd kill your father and siblings..

would you do it?

mathematically.. it works out.

4. Shadowhawk

Shadowhawk New Member

*nods* Yesss, the peaceful protesters, their not exactly the brightest candles on the Christmas tree either, are they?
    (I'm not talking about the people here, I'm talking about the people chanting in downing street)
    I mean, they sit all alone in their housing, singing to themselves that it won't happen to them. They can't face reality, that nuclear weopons are real and always will be.
    You can't get too wrapped up in these things, but ignoring them is even stupider.

5. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

That's not quite the same... to make your analogy work, I will rewrite it here:

-=========-
    Suppose someone handed you a gun, and said "Your mother is a sadistic, evil female dog, and is planning to kill you, your siblings, and your father to collect the life insurance policy".

Thinking it over, you realize your mother was indeed always talking about killing you all, and seemed fairly intent about it.

After some investigation you find her diary, with the words 'KILL THEM ALL' written about 50 times in it on the last page.

And you see your mom at a gun shop later that day, fondling a shotgun, when you know that she has no interest in hunting.

Your father and siblings don't have a weapon, they can't do anything if your moom decides to shoot them. The police say there is not enough evidence. You have a gun, and you know what is going to happen.

What do you do?
    -=========-

Yes, it is slightly ridiculous. So was your example.

- Ark

6. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Id just like to say something about all this nuclear weapons talk.. the only ppl out there who would use on is a Terrorist.

No country is stupid enough to start throwing nukes around. you seem to forget that Russia Still have a very large amount of nukes.. China has nukes and hell if they will stand by and let the US use nukes.. Vice versa.

So we can 80% rule out a nuclear war.

KaMe

7. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Oh please. No I would not shoot my mother, but I would shoot the guy making the threats. In your analogy, I don't think anyone can say Saddam is the mother.

The idea of the war, if it happens, will be to take out a threat. To use your analogy, no: we would not bomb Belgium to prevent Iraq from attacking people. We might however bomb Iraq to prevent Iraq from attacking people. I think the cop analogy fits here much better than the mother analogy.

Using some weird analogy that doesn't even fit the situation doesn't do much to convince me that you're right.

8. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

PEACE TO THE MIDDLE EAST

9. k0gepan

k0gepan New Member

That's what ya get when you post such a controversial issue Neph. ;) I'm not going to get in on this argument 'ere, but to say:
    War is bad. Any war is bad. Hatred is bad too. So is fighting. Every kind of fighting. Well, maybe not fist fights as they relieve stress. But, schwee. Indeed, violence will eventually destroy the world if we let it go....so although you can't ignore all this stuff going on around you, you have to hope for the best. And if it doesn't happen, you have to deal with it in the best possible way. It's gotta be hard to make the decisions that have to be made in this generation...human error is bound to happen, and if and when it does, people work together to fix it or end up ruining everything. I think with worldwide issues there is no grey area.

tbh.

10. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

Yes...Human error is bound to (And already has) happen(ed). We shold have taken out Saddam in the Gulf, but we didn't. We should have NOT given the taliban the money to fight the Soviets during the cold war. We should NOT have taken on the role of The Protectors of the Universe. But hey. hindsight is always 20-20, and no matter what we do about this situation, we shall be kicking ourselves when the deal goes down and everything is finished, because that one person who had the brilliant diplomatic idea, or the one eccentric scientist with the non lethal solution will stand up and say I told you so, and we will be angry. Not at the person, well, maybe; noone likes a know-it-all; but at ourselves for not have been open to his decision. In the end, it's the ideas of the intellegent civillians (I.E. that wierd scientist dude) that will be a viable solution, and will also be ignored.

So there.

11. lil washu y2k

lil washu y2k New Member

i dont see why people cant just get along, stop killing each other / bombing each other same difference!! its not very nice!!!and Tony Blair IS a poodle

12. c0ke

c0ke New Member

It's not that simple, what I believe is that as long as there two people on this planet, there will be fight, and long lasting peace may only be seen when all humans are wiped out from this world. It's depressing but it's what I think is the god darn truth. You don't have to believe this this is just my opinion, but my teacher (who is a Vietnam Veteran) and my father (Who is a Korean War Veteran) sadly also believes this.

Killing Saddam or Bin Laden or taking out a terrorist group may only bring short lived peace but some moron will alway come about and mess with that peace.

13. lil washu y2k

lil washu y2k New Member

yep, but its still nice to dream

14. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

I just heard this, this morning. I don't know if it's true or not (since it was on the radio and I get no impressions that this is happening) but they announced that Bush, his Cabinet and a whole bunch of the congress were going to resign. In fact, the resignation papers were already filled out. Did anyone else hear about this or was I dreaming:confused:

15. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Either it was a dream, or some morning DJs joke of the day.

16. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Well, it's not on cnn.com, so I'm gonna assume it was a dream :p

- Ark

17. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Of course he could have been subtly insulting or subtly agreeing with lil yashu y2ks comment about dreaming.

18. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

He could have been indeed. I'm dense like that sometimes ;)

- Ark

PS - BB, don't even think about saying anything :p

19. blood_pheonix

blood_pheonix New Member

its not like that.
    u cant just tell someone not to do somethink.
    its like telling Pro Pirates to stop copying cds and find some other way to make money.
    its like telling serial killers to just stop killing and just like a bag of **** on their door step.
    its like telling me to put down the ps2 controller and go do homework.
    they know what theyr doing is wrong, but they wont change. its easyer, it makes um look good, or its fun.
    thats wat i think anywayz....

20. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

What if they believe with all their heart's that what they are doing is right? What do you do then? Are they necessarly evil just because they are dedicated to doing what they view as right?

Oh, this was interesting to know. You know those people who called their family from the airplanes that were going to the WTC. Not one of them mentioned Arabs, Middle Easterners or anything like that! Now that really gets me wondering... sure Osama praised the attacks, but what if it was someone else? Maybe even some part of the government acting against the other part. You know, that section of the Pentagon that the plane hit destroyed a bunch of files about political agencies and what not. *Whistles*, that would be pretty messed up if the problem is here, not out there.