Debate Do you think that God exists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fushigi, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fushigi

Fushigi New Member

This is just a topic i would like to start to hear different people's opinion.

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Yes, but I freely admit that it is an irrational belief, and it does not alter my view of science at all.

3. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

I'd really like to and I'm certainly open to hearing new ideas, but so far nothing faith-wise or evidence-wise has clicked for me, so I don't.

4. gitarooqueen

gitarooqueen New Member

i belive there is two gods yes im a bloody pagan ^_^

5. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

I believe that god did exist, but one day he just got high and sort of wandered off..

6. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

I don't really know yet, so I can't make a decision.

By the way how is this a debate? :confused:

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

It's not. It's an opinion-fest.

8. Gabrielle

Gabrielle New Member

I totally believe that God exist. He's the reason that we have science. Scientist kinda jus discover wht's oredi ther. Anyway, its easier to believe tht ther's a God who create us for a purpose rather than to think tht we kinda got born by accident, hang around earth for a while, then die & rot away.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

i just want you to think about this for a few minutes.. then think about what you meant. just because something is easier, does not make it right.

it is easy for children to believe in santa clause, but sane people know he does know exist, save in the imaginations and wallet of coca-cola

10. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I agree with this statment. If i didn't beleve in God then i would have a fear of dying and spent my life looking for imortallity.
    However since o do beleve that God exists then i have noothing to really fear since it reasures me that their is an afterlife to look forward to. :)

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Not necessarily. Death is, after all, inevitable. Why be afraid? Rather, the majority of athiests I know do not fear death. Instead, they cherish life.

12. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

One reason that i would fear death is cause i'm not sure what would happen. This way i'm a little bit more reasured. I know death is enevitable but it's just scary to think what might happen next when we fianlly "buy the farm".

13. shippou

shippou New Member

believeing in god

i am half and half here.
    1 god is a big stupid pr**k that got lazy a went off some where and left us with disease
    or that he is nice and happy but the devil kicked the crud outta him so we really worship satan

14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

How so? If a person is athiest, then as far as they're concerned, when they do, that's it. Just a big sleep.

While I do believe in God, if somehow science proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was no God and no afterlife tomorrow, then why worry?

It's inevitable, and worrying about that is no way to enjoy life.

15. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

consciousness was a random event in our evolution, death is simply a realisation (due to this event) of the nature of our existence and it's certain termination.

16. Shadowhawk

Shadowhawk New Member

As far as I'm concerned, God does not exist. But I have nothing against other people believing he does (half my family do). And I think that when you die it's just dying. And if you didn't live life to the fullest it's entirely your problem. Not God's. Not no-one's.

17. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Thankfully science has not proved that yet. I feel that somethings require just faith. I know that this can seem blind. But faith alone can be all that can sustain some people. Rather then the facts that come from science. Not that i shut myself off from the world of science.

18. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I'm going to slightly go off-topic here...

First of all, science also hasn't proved God exists. Nothing has. Furthermore, science is not out to get people with religious belief.

Second, faith can help people, but only so far. A man who drinks a bottle of Drano because he believes Mark 16:18, in which Jesus says that when true believers "drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all" is not going to miraculously escape unscathed.

19. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

That's right, I love science and I love God. I simply believe that God gave us science for something :)

Well, "faith healing" has been rather a modern tendency than an established christian belief. And most people who believe in faith healing usually are members of the so-called "destructive cults" banned in more than one european country.

Yes, but there is the other side of the coin. It's certainly much easier to believe that we can do whatever we want than believing that there are certain morals that we have to obey, even if we don't understand them. I think the term is "cognitive dissonance" (doing something you believe is wrong). As someone said, "heresy begins by the gut".

So, it is easy to believe in God, but is it easy to believe in that God when we keep suffering in our life? Faith is certainly more than "believing in the existance of God", but rather believing that God will help us and will not abandon us in our suffering.

20. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

I have different ideas about this subject. I do believe that there is a god, and each different religion somehow worships the god in their own way. I think that when ever one person "sees" god they see him the way they want too, giving the reason why there are several different forms of god in different religions.

But as for believing . . . you believe, but there is no guarantee, that what you believe is true. I, personally don’t know what to believe. . . No one is every going to be able to know what lies beyond unless they die them selves, there truly is know proof of the existence of god. All we have is beliefs and I am sure it will be like that for a long time to come.

If anyone is truly interested in the subject of god being real or not I suggest the movie Dogma. It’s a comedy/makes you think, kinda movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.