Debate Do you think that God exists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fushigi, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dante

Dante New Member

Wait, wait... so, because it's a Debate, we have to prove that your God doesn't exist, however you don't have to? Guh.. right... well then, I'll leave it up to an infamous double-edged sword of a saying...

"The absence of proof can be proof"

Yeah, sometimes points in Debates DON'T make any sense... much like your posts. :p If you're so worried about steering it in the wrong direction then mayhaps you should not post in here all together.

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Congratulations. That has as much relevancy as what I had for dinner last night. The point of my post was that belief in God doesnt necessarily lead to good acts; something illustrated quite well by my posts. And if you think Hitler and Bush are on even remotely close levels, you're quite wrong. Bush is, next to Hitler, a pleasant authoritan. However, this debate is not about Bush, so moving along...

Red herring; you cannot prove a negative. It's your job to prove something. It'd be like me asking you to disprove that I have a gun. You can't with 100% certainty prove I don't, but that doesn't mean I do have one. It'd be up to me to prove its existence.

3. TheGreatShinobi

TheGreatShinobi New Member

so ha you guys cant prove he does not exist. so please tell me why i have to prove he does:D
    come on give me proof he does not exist because giving proof he does is just piontless because there is no real proof(so far i know of)
    and when has ever the absence of proof be proof( its like me saying there is no proof to prove him so that means there is a god)

(dante and neph i was really just trying to get you guys to answer)

4. Dante

Dante New Member

Well then we could just use the same explanation that you do...

There is no real proof; thus, that means he must not exist! :D

Because, after all, according to you even though there is no proof of his existence, he exists. ;)

Bravo, bravo for digging yourself deeper.

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Can you prove Santa doesnt exist?

Give proof he does. YOU CAN'T PROVE A NEGATIVE. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE. YOU CAN ONLY PROVE A POSITIVE.

Ok, there's no proof that you didn't advise Hitler via time machine, should I still believe you did it?

If your posts continue to display this lack of knowledge regarding how debates work, I am simply going to stop replying to you, end of story.

1 person likes this.
  6. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

So why don't we just delete this whole thread?

We're obviously not getting anywhere. Besides, if we're really wanting to talk about PROOF,

why don't someone just change the thread title to "can you prove God exists?". Because it was "do you THINK that God exists". Not even "WHY do you thin that God exists". So the title implies a philosophical discussion, not name-calling and belief bashing.

So if the content doesn't match the title, this whole thread should be banned for getting off-topic. Besides, I don't want to participate in a thread where I'm asked to give proof of the existance of an immaterial being.

So what's the whole point of this thread? Christian bashing? Atheist bashing? Will we really get anywhere by discussing something that hasn't been solved in thousands of years? I would participate in a philosophical thread, but when people start bashing and bashing, i just get sick of it. Besides, good debates were supposed to be between TWO participants, not ten, where every minuscule detail and comment is being answered, and every answer is hyperanalyzed and we end up arguing about things which weren't in the original discussion.

So i vote for closing this thread.

7. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

ya know, it's sad, but i agree with Luv...

even if i change the name, it still comes back to it being impossible to keep this a serious debate without bashing coming through. intended or not. so, umm, i think this is the first or second thread closed in debates...

creepy...

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.