Debate Do you think that God exists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fushigi, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sleeper_awake

Sleeper_awake New Member

Sorry, its been a while since I responded to any of this.

God's existence is relative? Is that the point that we are trying to make here? That makes sense, because I believe in God but also the free choice of humans. So In my life, God's existence is true, but to anyone who disbelieves than therefor He doesn't exist...Good point.

2. Dante

Dante New Member

I don't know, I just find this kind of humorous... I mean, here you are saying that you have no doubt in your God, the largest aspect is faith, and you know that there is no proof of your God, but you believe it still... yet in the same breath tell someone else to justify their beliefs. Confrontational or not, it's hypocritical.

I don't know, I guess I'm just easily amused by people like this. :)

3. TheGreatShinobi

TheGreatShinobi New Member

In the beginnig was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things was made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made.

Saint John
    Chapter 1 verse 1-4
    (read the rest of the chapter)

I beleive in God and i really dont like a lot of things that i read here :anger2: ( i didnt read all of it) and as stevie said that christian, jewish, and islamic people pray to the same god that could be true but there is one more thing to look at and that is this

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, thatwhosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have ever lasting life.

Saint John
    Chapter 3 verse 16

and believing in Jesus Christ your savior is not as easy as saying i believe in you let you into my heart that is a false cry to belive in him you must actually believe in him and follow what it says in the bible not just the ten comandments but also every thing else like the new comandment given by Jesus Christ God's son and all the teachings of the apostles. to actually show that you believe in him

and if it wernt for my belief in God and his Son then I would have sinned so many time because for me its easy, half the girls in my school wont be virgins any more, i would have beaten the $#!+ out of every body that bumped into me in the halls i would have sweared all the time AND I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT BECAUSE THE DEVIL TEMPTED ME ONCE BEFORE OF IT when i was livin in a different state. But i turned away from my sins and i still pushing them back.

A REAL PROOF: i dont know if i should be posting this here with all you guys but FACT- reaserchers found noas ark on top of a mountain (forgot what mountain range but some where around asia and europe that place is kind of next to Russia)

So yes i do believe that there is a God and trust me you should to because look at your life now it is just a pinch of the length you would spend in hell for not beleiving in him

edite: I am just saying what i believe

4. Dante

Dante New Member

Yeah, I read about that in the National Enquirer right before the column on the four-hundred pound woman giving birth to the Crocodile Baby, and after the article about Wolfboy.

It doesn't really seem like you're "just saying what you believe"... in fact, it seems like you're saying that you're right. :D After all, I'm going to Hell because I think your God is... well... a crock. But ah, oh well.

From the sounds of it, you sound like a very disturbed person, honestly. I mean, without "God" you'd turn into a sadistic, sex-crazed, violent statutory rapist? And, judging from your message, it's almost as if you're insinuating those that don't follow your "God" will be the same.

Furthermore... Jesus is not my saviour. He may be yours... but he ain't mine.

I actually heard something rather interesting, in the Simpsons, and although it was turned into a joke after a matter of seconds I thought it made a very valid point, when Homer stopped going to church and "started his own religion" and was called a heretic, and when he explained to Bart and Lisa, it went a little something like...

After that, it just kind of went off into a joke... but yeah.

Y'know, I'm gonna have a ball when we all just end up in some kind of absent space, no Heaven, no Hell... sure will be fun for all those "OMG ur goin 2 hell" peoples.

Meh... I think inane amounts of improper grammar and spelling should be a sin. >: But oh well...

I think I'll close out this post with a nice, ole' quote from Voltaire, a quote from the great philosopher upon his death bed, when told to renounce Satan by a priest...

(If you're going to "state what you believe", do so... with OUT telling us all we're going to Hell. kkthxgwgwbb)

1 person likes this.
  5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

In the beginning was the Beer and the Beer was with Neph, and the beer-opener was Neph. The same was in the beginning with Neph. All drinks were made by him, and without him was not anything to be drank.

What I just wrote has about as much proof behind it as yours - that is, none.

That's nice.

Oh boy, I bet we can expect a well thought out argument now.

Thats what the Bible says, but the Bible is not inherently correct in all things. You can't use a book to prove itself.

Did you just say that in order to believe in Christ I have to follow him? I believe Hitler was real, I don't believe he was right though. You're confusing believing in existence with following.

Moreso, why do I have to believe what his apostles say to believe in him?

So? I've passed up on what you consider sinful before, but thats because I don't believe it would have been moral, not because someone told me it wouldn't be moral. Belief does not inherently provide a type of morality; the two are seperate.

Blah blah blah, provide evidence. I could say a lot of things but it's worthless wiwthout actual support. Oh, and just in a pre-emptive strike...

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CH/CH500.html

Well?

How is that moral? Why should I go to hell just because I don't believe in a specific god, especially if I act equally moral or even more moral than its followers? In fact, how do you know your god is the one?

Catholics, Buddhists, Wiccans, Hindus... all of them admit you don't need to share their beliefs to go to Heaven. On what grounds do you base your claim?

(For those catholics curious about this, the Pope decreed this IIRC in 1997 in an address)

And Dante, thanks for covering the hypocrisy of User18/Stewie's post.

6. TheGreatShinobi

hahahahaha :D you always make me laugh (tears to my eyes..wipe..)you guys are funny all that writng just for this debate

but the thing about the naohs ark is true it was a big article in an newspaper (not an american one since most of them dont believein God)and on the internet they even sent an expedition there they had a shot of it from a helicopter

edite oh yeah how do you get more than one quote for your post

Edite: I really didnt mean it against you guys i was just explaining a little about my religion

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

What are you talking about? America is, out of the first world nations, the one that has the strongest religious beliefs.

Provide a link, silly.

I mean...

On the internet there's a picture of me in bed with another man; that doesn't mean it's real. It's a particularly well crafted photoshop from a forum contest, and just because it exists digitally doesn't mean it's real.

8. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

That's kinda what a debate is - the use of words and language to portray one's particular point and defend it. It often involves a lot of words.

Seriously, I actually have seen this - in a tabloid paper, but nowhere else.

Use more than one quote tag.

9. TheGreatShinobi

oh thats funny :D but the reason i cant provide a linke because i dont know were its at plus its in a diffrent language and i read it a long time ago but i also found it on this site www.pravda.ru just so you know i can understand alot of different languages(not just like hi and bi or 1234 like i know in spanish) :D isaw it there a wile ago

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

11. TheGreatShinobi

that is one stupid site but its not just there i saw it at but( i guess you win you my debate nephilim you get to be the president of the united states :D )

ill come back when i feel like saying some thing or get more proof but because of people like you (in a good way) thats why theres still religion because people have drawn so far away fom god by them scientists making every single hypothisis to prove there is no God that the people you mentioned earlier to me about the americans being most religiuos are just a bunch of hypocrites( and im not talking about all the americans i know there are real religiuos ones im just talking about the hypocrites iv met some of those

12. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

OK, this was supposed to be a CLEAN debate. Frankly, i don't see what you gain by calling TheGreatShinobi's God a crock. I understand your reasons, but your actions are actually counter-productive.

Anyway, think about this.

You DONT know if the God that TheGreatShinobi believes in, is the same God that is preached by self-righteous "christian" fundamentalists. They could be talking of the same God they read about in the Bible, and at the same time believe that his attributes are so different.

For example, some "christians" believe that only _THEM_ will be saved. Therefore, they have the duty to convert everyone to their own religion. In other words, they have the weight of the salvation of the entire world upon their shoulders. So the God they end up preaching (even if they hide it) is a cruel, elitist God that just wants to condemn people who don't believe in him, JUST BECAUSE.
    This is the God of cultists. And unfortunately, MANY, MANY people believe that non-christians will , no matter what, go to Hell. "Because they defied the all-mighty! if they had love in their hearts, they would have accepted".

This is a complete idiocy. And I'm saying this because i've seen many christians say "convert yourself or else".

This goes for TheGreatShinobi:

Of the 30,000 thousand denominations why do you choose to be in (or agree with) one that says only christians will be saved? Don't you know that the matter of salvation of men has been debated for nearly 2,000 years? Even months after the establishment of christianity, there were some guys who said only those who complied with certain rituals (i.e. following the Sabbath) would be saved.

And after nearly 2,000 years of discussion, you believe that just because Jesus saved you, gives you the right to tell that others will NOT be? Maybe if you started reading your Bible in Matthew 25:48 and following, you may have to accept at least the POSSIBILITY that you might be wrong in judging others.

So, if you want my opinion, many "anti-christians" out there (i won't mention names) ARE on their way to hell. But that's _MY_ personal opinion, I don't have a direct line with God. I don't know either if God will use the circumstances to make them repent of whatever they have to repent. Who knows if even my judging is going to scare them away from God.

You know, I think the first thing that Jesus preached was TOLERANCE.

Anyway, allow me to go back to the topic and present this little analysis:

Many christians have experienced (or at least subjectively) what we call a "personal relationship with God". And they come to believe that all good things in the world... nature, love, peace, etc... is a gift from God.

I have the impression (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you believe in only 2 options:
    a) God exists and non-christians will go to hell, or
    b) God doesn't exist and non-christians will NOT go to hell.

Well, how about a c) option?
    c) God exists BUT these fundamentalist christians are WRONG. They're messed up in their interpretations and bring only shame to the name of God.

Now, let's go back to Dante's statement.

Stop exaggerating. But before you deny TheGreatShinobi's arguments, you'd have to take his family or friends as witnesses, and see where was his life heading before "God saved him". Maybe God DID save him, but the guys at his church screwed up with his mind, making him believe that people are going to hell just because the bible says so or something. I've met a few people who were great sinners according to christianity. But then they fall into a cult and they've corrected their behavior - to end up becoming recruiting zombies for some self-righteous organization whose leader thinks the world will end in N days.

I don't see the relevance of this statement in the debate.

Actually it's a valid point. But it's a two-edged weapon. Many people who found their own religions today are usually cult leaders who end up abusing their faithful. A good idea would be investigating whether these people were REALLY enlightened by God. IMHO, they aren't.

"when"? Perhaps you should have said _IF_.

Frankly, Dante, i don't think you're going to hell. But you seem to have an issue with everything related to christianity. Perhaps you should start being more specific and not generalizing.

I don't see the relevance of this statement, either. Christians obviously despise Voltaire. According to them, he's not a great philosopher, but someone lead by the devil, with nothing positive to contribute to mankind. So what do you gain by quoting him? They'll just answer with a "so what? he was posessed" or something. I think you'd might quote Ghandi or someone not as controversial as Voltaire. Like... mother Theresa, who knows.

Amen, brother! :)

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Uh, scientists aren't out to disprove God. They're out to explain how things work. If that happens to debunk a god-based explanation, then thats just too bad for the bible-thumpers.

14. TheGreatShinobi

i didnt mean it like that even though it sounded like it :dizzy2:
    i was talking about the weird hypothisis that they have and have not proved and were force to read it in school :anger2: (about monkeys and stuff)
    scientist do good things for the people like medicines and all those advancements in our life

and there is no bible thumpers because god set everything on natural laws
    and scientist study those laws

1 person likes this.
  15. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Evolution has been proved. And observed.

Prove it.

16. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Science has revealed the lies and blindness that many religions in the world had told us for milleniums. I was born catholic but I'm not anymore. There are too many offers: People says Pray to Yaveh, Allah, Jehova, Zeus, etc. Which one is the correct? I ask people about this and everybody know that they are with the real one. There is no god. Maybe Nietzche really killed him.

Too hard? Maybe. Anyway, I haven't closed any door to god yet, so anyone could try to convert me again.

17. TheGreatShinobi

your never born into a religion just because your parents are it being religious is some thing you choose and you choose not to ;)

:D nephilim x your funny with the prove it stuff because the thing is religion isnt suposed to be proved thats why its called religion

one more thing so you think your a monkey? :D

18. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

I understand, but I say the samething: My parents are catholic, they instructed me to be catholic, and I *CHOSE* to be catholic. A few years ago, I *CHOSE* to quit the lie that I was living. I'm not saying that catholicism is a lie, just that I shouldn't be there.

19. TheGreatShinobi

hey if that suits you but for me staying christian is what keeps me from falling apart(if you say it were a lie then you acually didnt choose it you were just put into it by your parents and you just went along)

TO: DANTE I JUST READ THAT ONE QUOTE ABOUT ME TURNIG INTO A RAPIST
    lol (MADE MILK SPILL OUT OF MY NOSE) I DIDNT MEAN I WAS GOING TO RAPE THEM I MEANT THAT THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO IT CAME UP WITH SO MANY GIRLS FROM SCHOOL BECAUSE THEY FOR SOME REASON WANTED TO HAVE IT SHOVED IN.(no offence to the girls but its true alot of girls that come out of high school get pregnant or did it with a few people. im not talking about the good girls just the bad ones and theres lots of them)

and one more thing if you dont beleive in God then what is it that holds you back from doing whatever you want and pleaseing your self in anyway you want like in some movies when someone killed somebody and the murderer says what have i done or starts crying and all why would somone do that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.