Debate Do you think that God exists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fushigi, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legato666

Legato666 New Member

I dont see how God could of just been there,and was always just there.But at the same time I cant say particles and molecules formed to create a universe because how would the particles and molecules be created.If I did believe in god it would have to be Spinozas god,atleast thats what I think it was called anyway

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Ok, time to shoot down an argument that's been bugging the crap out of me for the longest time. (Edit: It bugs the crap out of me due to how often it's repeated despite a seemingly obvious response)

A very common argument that God exists is that the universe exists. That begs the question: Where did God come from?

Many Bible-thumpers will reply that God simply always existed.

If this is so, why is it not possible that the Universe always existed, but simply not in a form we recognize it is? Time is after all relative, so there could have been... hmm, how to phrase this... a "section" of existence where time was/is meaningless?

If you can argue that God simply always existed, why not the universe?

1 person likes this.
  3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel New Member

if there is a god hes ****in up. why do i say? because theres a ton of rich disgusting people that dont deserve money. they should give back to the community. and if there were a god why would he let so many bruthas on the streets die. why would he allow all the bad **** in the world to happan. so until i get a extreemely good reason im gunna beleive that god doesnt exist.

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Why does God not stop all the bad things on Earth?

Because we are fully capable of stopping them ourselves.

...Besides, if you read the Old Testament, life under a god who made himself known was even worse. :p

2 people like this.
  5. Sleeper_awake

Sleeper_awake New Member

I believe in God, and I want in on this debate. If you want to know why all this bad **** happens then why don't you answer the question. I believe that the only reason why we have such problems in our world today is because, pardon me Neph, a) as Freud has said, human beings are instinctually evil, for insatance Neph when you decide to shoot down others beliefs because they do not match your own, you are furthering Freud's theory. B) If there was a world without consequence there wouldn't be meaning at all. We would just do one thing, like jump off a cliff and we would survive. If no one died or if no one suffered than there would be no point to it all. We wouldn't reproduce, sexuality would bring no pleasure, the gun would shoot flowers or some **** like that. Think about it, if God always stepped in and prevented anything good or bad from happening, we would be living in a world without any severe consequence, but we would also have nothing at all. No love, no hate, no fear, no happiness, without consequence we would have nothing at all.

Secondly, when it is said that bad stuff happens in the universe today, then why do we sit here and complain about it? Or blame some divine being as Neph put it, "That defies science," and sit back and watch it happen. Remember, the world is a terrible place, but if you work at it at least one corner will be a bit better.

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

It's evil to ask for people to provide logical thought processes in a debate forum? :confused: If you have to be evil to be intelligent and rational, then I hope nobody considers me a good person. You do realise that in a debate you HAVE to provide logic and so forth right?

Edit: Jeez, this is a DEBATE forum, not Happy-Happy-Hug-Love Toddler Land. You're SUPPOSED to point out weaknesses and flaws in other arguments.

Ah, so there's no point in heaven?

7. Sleeper_awake

Sleeper_awake New Member

That is the world beyond. How would we know that heaven is a world without consequence if entering heaven is a consequence of death? Heaven is a world of consequence.

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

"...there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. "

Revelations, 21:4

In other words, leaping off a building produces neither pain nor death. Sounds pretty consequence free to me. Your point was, after all, that worlds without pain and death are pointless worlds.

So why are you ignoring the bit about me being evil for challenging people to back up their beliefs now?

9. Dusk

Dusk New Member

God exists in nature and everything is God. God has no name, but we dare name the nameless entity to be God. God is imaginary and God is reality. God can be anything we wish God to be except the opposite of God. God is God in name and in existence. That's what I think. :confused:

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Prove it. :p

11. Dusk

Dusk New Member

Don't you realize that it is the case that God is an unknown variable? Thereby, an observation and opinion to present, not a hypothesis to be proven. :eek:

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

13. Dusk

Dusk New Member

Thus, it is my opinion and nothing more than that. That is, I show my stance on topic, as I think God exists that way. Care to prove me wrong?

14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

If you knew how to debate, you wouldn't ask that, because you can't prove a negative. It's up to you to prove your point (since your point is the positive) and as it stands just posting your opinion and your opinion alone is spam.

15. Dusk

Dusk New Member

Well, ain't that just grand? Guess I'll have to prove the un-provable.

First, consider the definition of God from any dictionary.
    Second, consider whether or not that definition is fulfilled.
    Thus, the definition is satisfied and God then exists by definition in name.

16. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

From dictionary.com

"A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality."

(There is another definition of him which in two parts describes him as an omnipotent being worshipped by people)

Well, I sure don't see any definitive proof. Yes, people will say "Look at everything around you!" but thats not proof god did it. That's just proof it exists. For all we know the devil made it. (and dont give me that "no devil without god" argument either, you cant prove that either)

17. Dusk

Dusk New Member

Ah, God exists in name by the definition of God, as it has been shown God exists in name. But, in being, God is still a mysterious entity?

Yet, God exists as a being by definition of being for God exists in the minds and hearts of those who believe God exists.

18. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Ok, so you believe god exists because people think he does.

...If only real life worked that way. Then I'd have a million dollars in my bank account. Of course, I do not.

19. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Maybe it does work that way...if you look at it in a spiritual way. Maybe he exists if we believe in him/her. Its like he is getting his power from peoples faith. If no-one believed than I dont think he would exist. Maybe that is the point trying to be said.

20. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

ya know, a futurama episode had a good point about god..."if you do things right, people won't think you've done anything at all." heh too much stepping-in = dependance, and too little = being absolute morons...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.