Debate Do you think that God exists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fushigi, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Then kindly leave the debate forum. You are supposed to prove things here; opinion is worthless.

I'd rather be a primate than a pile of dirt, which is what Genesis says I am.

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Respect for human rights and valuing life more than you (because for all I know when Im dead, Im staying dead). If you think belief in god keeps you from murdering, I suggest you go study the crusades.

3. TheGreatShinobi

TheGreatShinobi New Member

yea i just read a book on the crusades and took a teat on it today wait yesterday it already this late :eek:

but those people were influenced by the devil thats my opinion just to kill off the worshiperss of god

the devil is loose in salem and it is my job to stop him
    ithink it was said like that by marry warren and i beleve he was loose but they had the wrong perspective on stoping him ;)

edit i think in the bible it said if one was to reavel themselves as a witch you grab the person in the middle of the town and stone it to death
    but none of the people ever reaveld themselves of witches just a bunch of dumb kids pointing fingers

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

You're confusing the witch hunts with the crusades. The Crusades were a series of holy wars fought by christians against muslims.

5. TheGreatShinobi

oh woops i read it wrong yea those is what you call a none true cristian since it says your not suposed to kill plus they were all curupted by greed and that greed was the sign of the devil ( for them not you)

i got confused about the witch hunts since i just took a test on it-to neph sorry i accedently pm'ed that to you i wrote it in the wrong spot :eek:

edit i cant kindly leave this because your just to funny genises says your dirt good answer but your also a breath of God himself

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

How weren't they true Christians? They believed in Christ and his teachings (or at least what they were told were his teachings). If you constantly redefine what a Christian is aside from basic oversights (hence corrective eratta), then it's indicitave that you really have no counterargument.

7. TheGreatShinobi

i have a counter argument why do you think theres so many branches in christianity because some people interpret thing diffrently and its mostly they just want more lenieage so they shap it so it would look like they havnt sinned

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Except that at the time of the crusades, there was ONE branch of Christianity.

9. TheGreatShinobi

well why do you think it broke into more branches because they saw it was wrong and i thought there was 2 you know the byzentine empire and the other empire one of them had some thing like the cathlics but they had no pope and there style of the church was like to day moscow

edit to neph hurry up with the post dont leave me in suspence :D

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

It didn't break because people saw the crusades as wrong. It broke later on because Luther felt that... oh, forget it. You don't have much education in the field, do you?

(and you bide your time, I'm not your bloody clown)

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Grades are meaningless to me, because you aren't demonstrating actual knowledge, be it historical or biblical. Why would you consider the crusaders not-true-christians? God ordered holy wars all the time in the old testament, how did he suddenly change?

12. TheGreatShinobi

read the new testement

13. Athena

Athena Wisdom comes with Sadness

I think what Neph is trying to say here is that Luther broke away because he felt that the Priests should only be their for practical reasons and he felt that God was the only one whou could justify alone. Martin Luther also felt that a man should be his own priest. I think those are the major points, did i leave anything else out Neph?
    (ooc: I probably did but eh it's been a couple years since i studied him at my old catholic school.)

oh and btw, just saying read the new testement as a response isn't a very good one in a debate....

14. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Crusades weren't ordered by god. Atheos (is this well written?) should not say that and actual christians don't want the crusades justified by god. 'Oops, A HUGE mistake.' would say anybody about the crusades. They were only to gain power, wealth more than recover the holy city.

But the topic isn't the crusades, it is 'Do you think that God exists?'. The god from the old testement is very different than the new testement one. And it's religion has changed a lot since Jesus birth.

How could I prove that god exists? Witnesses perhaps? Let's see: The apostols saw god; Mahoma saw Gabriel, Allah's angel; and many other people has seen another gods. The point is, who is lying? are all saying the thruth? could be there more than one god? or there is no god?

15. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Matthew 5:17-20
    "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfil them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practises and teaches these commandments will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Edit: Yes Athena, you got it right.
    In other words, Jesus approved of every single atrocity of the old testament. Besides, how would the New Testament change everything? I don't see how you can think a few nice acts make up for repeated mass murders.

Obviously, but prove anything ever was.

So we'd hope, but there are people today who would like more.

Matthew 5:17-20
    "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfil them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practises and teaches these commandments will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

So you're using the Bible to prove the Bible? Goooooooood plan.

My friend Jason also got into a staring contest with an oompa loompa once when he was on drugs; that doesn't mean oompa loompas are real.

16. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

:mad:
    You didn't get it Nephilim_X. I'm not proving it, I'm disaproving it. All people that I mentioned KNOW that they're are right. Each one knows that the others are terrible wrong. This way, how can I trust someone who tells me 'you're going to hell!' (silly example). Even Jesus said that many would come and claim to be god, beware of them. But he was one of them, wasn't he?

My friend Jason also got into a staring contest with an oompa loompa once when he was on drugs; that doesn't mean oompa loompas are real.[/QUOTE]
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Analize that carefully or perhaps we'll never understand each other :p .

17. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

From the way your post is written, most people would assume you were defending the Bible. Sorry if thats not the case.

18. Athena

Athena Wisdom comes with Sadness

Even Jesus said that many would come and claim to be god, beware of them. But he was one of them, wasn't he?-jedimdo

Actually no. If i'm remembering correctly Jesus never said that he was God. If I had my Bible handy I would double check that right now but... i'm at a public school and we're not to bring anything religious into the school.... but I'm fairly positive that he never right out said that he was who he was until after he died and came back. If you want to know my authority on the subject.... well... i'm the youngest (at 18yrs old) bible school teacher for my church.

19. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Well, I'm not really sure either. Jesus could not say it directly but he did it implicitly many times.
    Anyway, from where christians say that Jesus is God?
    Unless you're protestant (¿You're the youngest, eh? is very probable) you shouldn't say that.

20. Dante

Dante New Member

Ahh, seems like I missed out on some things here... well then, let me go through this quickly... luvweaver first...

And I've met people who aren't sinners and have kept such without the "saviour Jesus". So what? Big deal. There's all kinds of people in the world. Anyways... maybe next time try making a point.

I did what you do, reply to a comment even if they have nothing to do with the debate.

Of course they'd be considered "cult" leaders... if you really look at what a cult is. Hell, before it became an obsession, Christianity was a cult. *shrug*

Actually, I have an issue with EVERYTHING. :p It's actually pretty fun. Though, I apologize if the prime example of my last post (IE TheGreatShinobi) fits that generalization to a "t".

What do Gandhi and Mother Theresa have to do with the proof of God's existence? Ahhh, that's right. Nothing.

I'm not your brother. :p

Next, I'll go into some of the "wisdom" that TheGreatShinobi decided to grace us with...

... even though you, several posts ago, just tried to offer up "proof"? Hm. Interesting.

That's just... so humorous. That it seems to be impossible for someone to try something, and figure out they don't like it. No, it must be that they're FORCED into it and don't like it... of course. What a silly notion...

Self-devised morals and humanity.

Actually, if I recall, there was someone that was a self-proclaimed witch. And I'm sure, over time, there has been more than that (Salem is just the most notable account of bigotry).

\

...? So... wait... the origin of Christianity was wrong... but it's the only way... o_O

Silence, infidel. Or get a life. Unlike you, some people don't base their life around this thread.

Apparently not too well if you coincided the Crusades and the Salem Witch Hunt Trials.

Then... say it, please. I'm sure I'm not the only one awaiting a valid point from you.

Now on to jemindo...

Kind of like how I could say that now that specific modern-day Christians are only out to completely assimilate the entirety of the world and snuff out those that don't agree with them... it's fun putting words into other peoples' mouths, isn't it? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.