Debate Do you think that God exists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fushigi, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

Well simply put; if you said it... then you must think it to be true to some degree, & if not, then that nice big essay you wrote has no meaning.

But "God" allowed me to type it ;)

2. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

I can calculate many things, sadly.. I am not always correct. Think on this.

alright then.. show me this proof. or better yet, prove it yourself. you can't simply say "it's common sense" because for me.. god? why he doesn't exist.. it's common sense.

so is my left buttock, if properly applied

(erm, quoting a different person here)
    actually our bodies have evolved over time to adapt to the nature of our enviroment, these cancers and harmful elements you speak of are simply other forces of live similar to us, trying to survive and spread. They may not be sentient, but they are not as different as you might like to believe. In the matrix the human race was likened to a virus.. a fictional story, not a nea idea.. but an interesting analogy nonetheless.

but you cannot simply believe in something because it cannot be disproved.. there must be more. sadly all you have is the stories and brainwashing you've encountered throughout your life and the idea of god has become so enmeshed in your mind that you cannot seperate it from yourself.
    (side note: http://www.paulgraham.com/say.html an interesting article on how we condition ourselves to think, and how we condition ourselves not to think..)

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

You don't get it, do you? Give me a page number, quotes, links! Having -me- look up research to support -your- position is horrible debate tactic.

And how praytell did they do that? :rolleyes:

Hold on. How do you know that somewhere out there, there isn't an actual tooth fairy flying around? You can't disprove it isn't there, but you've done jack diddly to proving it does.

Thats the thing - we DONT adapt to our environment anymore. We make the environment adapt to US. Look at your heaters, air conditioners, salted roads. That is making the environment adapt to our needs. Furthermore, our bodies are much the same as they were 4000 years ago, if perhaps slightly improved. It's not like we the tube for eating and breathing just suddenly came into being when our environment became polluted. Our body was never "perfect" - there are tons of flaws and unnecessary parts.

Cart before the horse. Life adapted itself to live in the environment, not the other way around.

Ok, so a formless, etheral floating being made everything just poof into existence?

How the universe originated is unknown, but to claim therefore that it must have been supernatural is the argument from incredulity. There are other possibilities. For example, anti-energy could have been created simultaneously to satisfy conservation laws. Or perhaps the laws of thermodynamics evolved after the first moments of the universe.

That is the most disgustingly sheepish, cowardly statement I have read in ages. And if you read your Bible, you'd know that Noah questioned God and got angry with him for the flood. And what happened? God ended up apologizing. I say we DO have the right to question, because, after all, why should we just bow down and obey a hypocritical, lying mass murderer (which is what God is portrayed as in the Bible, whether intentionally or not)? Because he says so? Hitler would have LOVED to have someone like you on his side.

Okay... hold on. Wait.. you're telling me that you know what others believe in more than they themselves do?

I was referring to what they believe will happen at that point.

"I can't actually answer your question, so I'm going to turn it around." And in response to you, I say it is because of scientific possibility. A lasergun is frankly more realistic than a magical staff (read up on Moses smiting the armies when he holds the staff of God, but when he lowers it, they begin to advance. For all we know, "lowering" was actually Moses reloading this alien lasergun.)

...wait. So you just invalidated your own point by admitting not everyone holds the same opinion. WHY DID YOU ASK IF YOU ALREADY KNEW?!

Lets hypothetically say that your mother told you he was actually from the planet Krypton.

For all you know, he did.

Craft a new purpose? Make things more pleasant for others, even if it's not your purpose?

Quitters never win because winners never quit.

Who says so?

That doesn't mean you're right.

Well, I didn't want to do this... but ok. ^___^
    http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theism/christianity/errancy.shtml

Read up on all those errors, and suddenly it seems a lot less consistent and true.

Oh please. Give me a program name. Heck, I could say that "the discovery channel said this and that". Furthermore, how do you know I couldn't refute their arguments?

Revelations was written by one man.

It's called maintaining continuity with canon scripture. :rolleyes:

It's not like they wrote them up with absolutely NO connection to each other. If one guy has a story, and his son adds on to it, and HIS son adds on to it...

And the name of this book is...?

Heck, I can find stuff in my alphabet soup if I try hard enough. Please tell me HOW they're calculating this! Quotes! Author names with book titles! Links! Saying "I read it in this book about philosophy" is NOT good sourcing!

Yes.
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html

(to be continued)

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Yes, because it happened in past times as well. We just didn't know what it was.

Pollution no, diseases, yes.

And do you know WHY he did it? Because God had a lousy bet with the Devil going. That isn't kind, loving, or fair.

No, PEOPLE crucified Jesus, and he apparently darn well KNEW it was going to happen anyway. He even tried to get out of it beforehand. There's a difference between willingly making a sacrifice for the people and just getting crap handed to you.

If God needs to test us to see if we love him and are loyal, then that is not unconditional love.

Ok, then should we use people like Osama Bin Laden and Hitler? Osama, after all, was just following his interpretation of his religion. Besides, what about athiests who do good things?

Have you?

It's ALL hypothesizing! Crikey...

5. Yian

Yian New Member

God if u beleive how do u know u have made the right choice

genuinly beleive that there is no god, i beleive that reigion (the larger ones) has been a tool invented by humankind to create in pre-modern times a system in which to keep lower class people happy where they where and to not blame there rulers beacause the simle answer was it was god and that to the people back then was good enough. but now it has become something people beleive in as they cannot bring themselves to face the fact that life does have no meaning other than to transfer on our genes (read the first chapter of "The Selfish Gene" by richard dawkins for a basic description of how life started and why this is true. also as many religions are bassed on extremly old texts how can it be that normally sensible people can bring themselves to beleive what is written in a book just beacause it is extremly old. god to a lot of people is also a belief which they use to help themselves through bad pattches in life but still that does not make him real. and to stop myself ranting all day long to those who beleive that the big bang is impossible beacause u cannot make something from nothing this has been proved to be wrong. a vaccum in conventional terms is a space void of matter in fact it is quite the contary as in fact a vaccum has particle antiparticle pairs continually forming and destroying so they are not detected but experimental data has shown there is in fact somethign there and as a result vaccum's have energy so surely that shows that something can come from nothing as a result generally disproves that we must have a god to create the universe. all in all relgion is a tool and always will be

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Mord, I was talking about humanity's supposed intelligent designer. I -know- they evolved over time.

7. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

The big band theory, is a Controversial subject. Some say god just created everything. And then the scientists say there was the "big bang". But has any one every considered, besides me, that god could have created the Big ball of matter, that is the big bang, and cuased it to explode and create life as we know it??

**another thought** Does any one else hate it when people say "Its all part of God's plan"? It kills me. I find it extemely anoyning and not comferting at all. So i come to the idea that God might be a hands off kind of being. And doesnt really have a plan. things just happen and he/she cant do anything to stop it. he/she Makes the universe and lets it run its course. he/she just might not be able to controll things that go on in the world that he/she created.

8. Fushigi

Fushigi New Member

Most likely no, but if you insists you have been ressurected and know about after life, so be it.

Same goes for you, many others have their hundreds of bloody reasons to believe in God instead of you pathetic aliens. I don't see why i should listen to you instead of believing in what i really trust in.

What is your point i am 14, i have a clear idea what i will do and what i need to do. as a matter of fact, you don't really need to worry because you will figure out soon naturally because you will mature and find a way as you grow up. Achieving a purpose is not hard, i acheieved the goal in being top 1000 rated mathmatics in north america kumon. As i will, i am able to do it. It's all about effot. (a bit off topic.)

Anyways...

So it's not false and not sometime soon it's going to be proven false. So why are you still arguing about the fact that the bible can be proven wrong? Just leave it at that.

possibly, could have caused by God. No one would know, so don't ask me.

How could you be so sure? what if it was, it is and it will be, what is prophecized within the bible and scriptures about God will come true. You can't make a fact out of something thats not true. That is no point, you just made an unproven fact.

but thats again saying the big bang would create life form again and the chances are slim. So thats not convincing saying another race would be formed to our world in the environmen, especially disease. Because possibly bacteria might not have been formed either.

This comes to christianity belief wise. This is not my perspective but according to christianity. Because God knew that we creation cannot become like the creator, perfect. There was only one way is for his own self to come down and bare allthe sins upon him and than clean us away from the sin. And he sacrificed his son is because chrisitanity beliefs in the holy trinity. All is one and one is all. He was all powerful so he bore all our sins and stripped us clean. If he just decided to forgive all of us, he's really not doing ****, he jsut made us perfect without our own free will. in christianity, God gave us free will and nothing will change that. You have a choice to follow him or not. Follow him and be forgiven and have a eternal place in heaven, walk away and suffer eternal damnation but you have the free will to do whatever you want. ( according to christianity belief)

it doesn't. Sir Issac was just a referal and his theories have been known to the world of science as a great influence to philosphy and more.

yea he had no error, he's perfect. What wrong did he do?

There you go again. Just cause you see no prove does it really mean it doesn't exist. Again you are making a fact about that heaven does not exists. HOW DO YOU KNOW it doesn't? HOW? if you can answer me with a valid answer this theory might as well be proven wrong. But the matter of fact is that, you can't prove that heaven doesn't exists. So what are you trying to argue about.

i will try but not anytime soon, exams coming up, you gotta wait man. (^_^ sorry for the inconvinience)

wtf? how do you prove that the tooth fairy exists? i guess you can say they exists because in most of our child hood, it is our parents who changes our tooth under our pillow for money. So yea parents = tooth fairy.Again, thats stupid, so we know parents don't have magic power. how do i know that, because they are mortals and well each and everyone of us have one and we know that they don't. What more prove do you need. So back to it again, how do you know there isn't god? you don't, you can't disprove it either.

ok, so freaking massive unknown explosion out of nothing proof into existence of everything?

Where the hell did you see God apologizing? you need to read the bible before arguin about it ok. listen because God saw noah as the only loyal servent and the rest of the world did their wicked deeds, he did a major flood to prevent sin from spreading. and then he told noah he would cause a rainbow as a sign that he will never flood the world again. Noah angry at god? God apologizing? You must be high.

Not because it is a fact that people have desire to know about the unknown and what is beyond. read the book "psychology within us" whole books talks about it.

but at that point it was still life, death hasn't reach them.

A laser gun causing bigbang creating the universe? thats call more believable than moses splitting up the sea. You just defied in your view of science. Aliens playing with laser guns can't form a universe of infinite mass.

Let's hypothetically say i knew everything, let's hypothetically say i am God, let's hypothetically say my grandfather isn't really my grandfather. hypothetically don't prove ****.

you don't win **** after you die, because you don't take anything with you.

Read the book i told you about.

did i say i was right? i just said what's outside of the world and life is not for you to decide.

Against freaking thousands of scientists and archaeologists and philosophers to prove them wrong. I don't think albert einstein is possible to reject such evidence with all that people examining the pieces of evidence.

I am saying how everybook connects to the last book of revelation. not just revelation. sorry for misleading.

Yea when 3/4 of the writers don't know each other and the scriptures wasn't found like a book. it was found seperately and than put into a book according to the time period found.

9. Fushigi

Fushigi New Member

Just an encyclpedia, you should be able to find it in one of the university libraires. Encyclepedia on existence of God and philosophies and science. It's just a encyclepedia on science. Just ask the library assistants for help.

I know perfectly. God trusted in him thats why he touched him. God wasn't loving job would have been dead by now. He told the devil not to lay a finger on him until the last time for a final test to see if he would believe in him. The devil would have killed job the instant if God said do what ever you want with him. But at the end when the test was over, God gave him twice as much as he had before as a reward for following him. Not loving, not caring, i think God knows what he is doing more than you know what he is doing. You judge him with a mind within this world. You see a small part of a picture, but yet God sees the whole thing.

what you just showed me are questions that are asked and is not able to answer. It doesn't mean it's false just cuz you have many unanswered questions? within that site, no one said a thing about the ark being false, they just hypothecizeds and made assumptions.

jesus never wanted to quit. apparently you don't know crap about the bible. First of all he accepted the fact that he was the son of God. He willingly practice and preeched the teaching of the gospel to all the world, in the will of god. At the place where he was sacrificed, he was willing and di d not resists for he knew. Before he was crucified, he prayed to God and asked if it was his will. He said if it was your will (God) than it is done. AT the cross when he was crucified, the linen broke and that man bare no more sin for christ has died for us. he made a willing sacrifice. That was the only time when god had let his only son died. And jesus said the exact words, "my lord, my lord, why have you forsaken me." That time jesus told God to trust in him and not turn his back away. Christ made a willing sacrifice. No crap was handed to him. May be read the bible before making assumptions.

His tests are like training, you must ask him for help in the test than he will guide you through the way. After all he is God and he is able to get you out of it. He gave you a choice you didn't have to follow him in the test. You could have done whatever you want. How is that unconditional love when he offered you his help and wants to build a stronger relationship with you through tests?

They are not for you to judge. Accordingly to Chrisitianity, Those atheists who have never heard of christianity and have done good deeds will be judge according to what they have done. But if they have heard of christ and does not believe, they will suffer eternal damnation, because they have abandoned light and not following it. This isa ccording to christianity. But what really happens is not for you or me to judge but God.

Everything is hypothecizing that's what you say than none of it can be as an use to prove anything. You say you have facts to prove that god doesn't exists. You just proved yourself wrong because you are hypothecizing.

Fushigi.

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I have NO idea what you're trying to say here.

First of all, the mere act of creating alone would indicate he had some need to be fulfilled, and hence was not perfect (complete). Furthermore, in the Bible, God murders, lies, is hypocritical, bigoted, and self centered and jealous. HOW can you say he isn't capable of wrong?!

How do you know it does?

So by that logic, because I can't prove there are no gigantic gyroscopic machines built by gnomes inside the moon, they MUST exist?

Exodus 32:14, "the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people". Did you notice that? God repented of the "evil" which he thought to do! In other words, God is admittedly capable of evil! The relatively merciful Moses then went down and killed "only" 3000 people.

This proves...

1) God is capable of evil.
    2) Humans are capable of moral superiority.
    3) A human can argue with God and win.

There's a difference between researching for knowledges sake and believing in God.

I never said that. Go back and reread.

You mean just like God HYPOTHETICALLY exists because there is no proof for his existence?

No, really? Think about how more true that is for an athiest.

No. Quote the passage for me. It's not up to me to prove your argument.

1000 wrong people are still wrong. You say there are "thousands" of scientists who support your stance, but you're just talking until you can provide

Revelations was written after the rest. It's easy to make it link.

The Bible is not that disjointed. The Old Testament is the Torah, which was one to begin with, and then the New Testament... well. The writers DID know each other!

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

You still don't understand the concept of sourcing, do you? It is not up to ME to find the appropriate passages. That is YOUR job.

Conversely, as you know but a small part of the picture, how do you know God wasn't just screwing around?

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

You can cut the ad hominem attacks right now.

Matthew 26:39 "And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou [wilt]. "

In English, Jesus is saying "Hey Dad, if possible, get me out of this gig!!! But, if you say I gotta, I gotta..."

Go read the story of how God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son. Doesn't seem like a very loving test to me. If someone broke in to your home, held a knife to your throat, and told you to shoot a family member, would you be very happy with them?

So you think that an athiest charity worker deserves hell just because he doesn't feel Christianity is right for him?

Hypocritical bull. You can't prove that God exists. Hence you have nothing but hypothesis to go on. If you truly feel the way you do, then you yourself are wrong.

12. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

I'm not arguing any more.

13. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I don't think we're going to get a real answer in this issue.
    The battle between relegion and science is and will be older then the battle of giid and evil. With some people believing and others not it would seem to me that this forum is just another battle feild between these two forces. One that will probably never end.

14. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

it won't end simply because the cause of religion won't give up their beliefs, at all.. no matter what proof is thrown at them. science is waiting for god to show himself, but until it does, or sufficient proof to lead to a theory that he exists is discovered... we recognise that we have no legs to stand on, and are forced to claim in the negative.

just because you want something to be true, does not mean it has to be so.

15. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

So let me get this straight..

just because you want something to be true,
    does not mean it has to be so.

I suppose that you could also switch your premise around by saying "false" rather than "true". If you do not have the proof to say something is true you cannot conclude that it is false. This is why most scientists aren't afraid to say "I'm not sure" when their hypotheses just don't work. According to Wade et al.(2003):

"Sometimes there is little or no evidence available to examine. Sometimes the evidence permits only tentative conclusions. Sometimes the evidence seems strong enough to permit conclusions...until, exasperatingly, new evidence throws our beliefs into dissarray. Critical thinkers are willing to accept this state of uncertainty."

This does not mean that you have to conclude that Santa Clause exists just because you have no evidence that he doesn't, it would not be reasonable to believe he exists. But, you have no evidence that I am sitting in a chair.. so does this mean I'm not? You have no evidence that could prove that grass, in reality, is actually red coloured.. our senses could really be messed up, does that mean that grass isn't red? You have no evidence to prove that God exists, does that mean that God doesn't exist?

This is what I meant earlier by "Tolerate Uncertainty".

16. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

no, but with the santa clause thing we accept that santa clause does not accept because well.. we understand how he was constructed and while we cannot logically or mathematically disprove his existence we accept his nature as a fantasy creation.

we don't know that santa clause does not exist for sure, simply because we cannot prove it mathematically. but at the same time.. if you met a grown man who truly believed in the existence of santa.. what would you think?

17. Charlie

Charlie Guest

Some kind of 'intelligence' created everything, and you would call that God. Otherwise, how dose anything exist...now, an ever more brain-exploding question is WHO CREATED GOD!'

18. Charlie

Charlie Guest

If God dos'nt exist, he's missing a real hum-dinger of a debate here.

19. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

if he does exist i hope he doesn't judge us all as a race by some of the posts in here.

20. Ryu-Ki

Ryu-Ki New Member

Not to sound to serious but, God do give us the freedom to beleave what we want so I don't think theres going to be a Judgement Day any time soon. But if there is I'm readdy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.