Saber Marionette Figure this SMJ-related phrase out.

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

チェリーは私の最愛である。 ライムとブラッドベリーはさほど離れていません。

If you get it right, congradulations! Feel free to post another Japanese phrase for others to figure out. (must be related to Saber Marionette J, but it doesn't have to be a quote)

Good luck!

[EDIT]And, if possible, don't use a translation site. Try and succeed with your own knowledge.[/EDIT]

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I forfeit, then. ^^

I know 0% written Nihon, or else I would know far more about that Oedo school blurbage on Satoru's site.

Using systran, though, I can conclude the phrase involves fruit. ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Reisti Skalchaste

Remember, I said: If possible.

But you are almost right in assuming it involves fruit. Think about it. A Saber Marionette J-related phrase involving fruit.

4. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Fine, but if you had posted a picture or have the Romaji (roman characters spelling), I WOULD be able to read it! :p

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Actually, my last post was beating around the bush. Using a translation engine as I did, I know exactly what you said (and it makes sense coming from you, of course). Since I used what was sort of a "cheater" method, I decided to be fair to everyone else and just drop a hint instead.

You really should spend a few megs to install asian fonts, there, luvweaver. ;)

6. Reisti Skalchaste

I posted it with Japanese characters to make it difficult. I wanted it to be as challenging as possible. If you could read the characters, it would make it too easy. Besides that, I couldn't find a site that would translate it into romanji. I don't know enough Japanese to translate this phrase myself, so I had multiple translation sites working, translating it back and forth until I got it to work reasonably well. My only hope is that my phrase says what I want it to say.

BTW, thanks to Matt for not ratting me out with your "cheat" solution. Perhaps you could PM me with your translation so I can tell you how close you were.

7. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

No, you don't understand me.

My point is:

My _SYSTEM_ can't read japanese characters, They're seen as a bunch of '?'s. :( now i feel left out. How am I supposed to play now? :'( boo hoo...

(Specially when I'm at my JOB's compy. I don't want to think of my boss asking me: "Why do you want the japanese character support for your programming computer?")

OK Enough. :p

Next time, please do a screencap of the japanese characters and post it. Ok? ^_^ That'd be more fair.

8. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

Cherii wa watashi no ?? ai de aru. Raimu to Buraddoberii wa sa hodo ??-reteimasen.

I imagine the first sentence is saying Cherry is something to do with love. All I can tell you about the second sentence is that, other than it being about Lime and Bloodberry, is that it's saying they aren't something. It would really help if I at least knew how to sound out that kanji, though I'm pretty sure it's connected to the "-reteimasen".

I'm also pretty sure that if you give me a few years' worth of Japanese classes (which I'll be beginning this fall ee whoo haha yeesss!!), I could tell you more, but by then it'll have been translated. ^_^

Also, do you perhaps know who's saying this? I have a sneaky suspicion it's Otaru, but as I have a knowledge of .2% of the Japanese language (Nihongo, Mattsu-san! Nihon itself simply means Japan! ^_~), I can't be sure. Tons of luck finding out, though. ^_^

9. Reisti Skalchaste

I'd need to figure out how to do that, but next time, I will try to keep this in mind.

I know who's saying it. It's not Otaru though. I think I'll decline to tell you who it is for now. Remember this, I said it was a Saber Marionette J related phrase. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a quote. Of course, I could just be trying to throw you off track by saying this. But maybe not. For now, only I know the meaning of this sentence. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Err...

Ahem. Anyway, you've certainly done better than I could have in romanizing it, and you're all getting closer. Keep working together, and soon enough, you'll have it figured out.

Good luck!

10. Reisti Skalchaste

Sorry, once again for the double post, but it seems you've all given up. Perhaps you'd like more time to think about it? Or you're waiting for someone else to spread some light on the subject?

Tell you what. I'll give you a hint. If you don't want to use it, if you wish to figure it out on your own, don't read the spoiler.

This is no quote. It is an honest, truthful statement by yours truly, and it tells my feelings for those three angels we all know and love.
    If no further attempts to solve it are made before... say, August 14, I'll give you the answer. Accompanied by a new phrase to figure out. Sound good?

11. Stardust Phox

Hmm. I would say the kanji before "ai" is "shinjitsu" if I were sure. I have to check my lyric sheets and compare kanji before I can make an assumption. (Besides. I'm looking for "true", and "shinjitsu" is "truth"... grr.. XD)

The first sentence, though, I think reads, "Cherry is my one/true/only love." It's the second one that's eating away at my curious brain~~~~~!! XD

ETA: Also, I think the line after "ri" in your sig image should be vertical. Otherwise it looks like "ichi", meaning "one" (as in the number). ^_~

12. Reisti Skalchaste

It would be really helpful if you could get that kanji for me. But you've got the first sentence right! Well... close enough. The phrase I put into Babelfish, and Nifty, was "Cherry is my beloved." Which now also graces my signature. As for the second phrase, you'll have to keep trying.

[EDIT] I may consider giving a hint for the second sentence then, if no one can figure it out. I'll need a petition agreed for by at least three people before I'll do that, though.[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]Thanks for the tip with my sig! Although it was getting blurry and I had to re-do the whole thing.[/EDIT2]

13. Stardust Phox

OHMYGOSH! I'm such an absolute SPAZ! It took me FIVE DAYS (and a collective two minutes of thought! talk about a delayed reaction...) to realize this!

THE MYSTERIOUS KANJI OMG.

I think it's "dake" meaning "only". The problem is that if I'm right (that is, if "dake" isn't written with kanji but hiragana), I think it might actually go after "ai". Don't quote me on that or change your sig, though, because I speak as an inexperienced not-yet-student of the language. I think that's why I never realized it.

Strange, though... I'm really not sure. I don't remember "dake" being used that way. *goes to check book* Heh, what short examples... Well, I guess now I can say it with some more background. I think it should be ai dake, because that's the way word order is in Japanese. (Hee. XD "Cherry [subject marker] my [I's] love only [particle] is." You just have to love how weird that sounds. ^^)

Also, looking at my book I see what "hodo" is used for something akin to "as much as". If I only knew how to read the kanji before -reteimasen, I could make a slightly more educated guess. XD As it stands, though, I think it's something along the lines of, "Lime and Bloodberry I don't love/like/care for/cherish as much."

But I could be wrong. And no -- that is NOT my final answer. ^_~

EDIT: But I'm WRONG because it's not "only love" but "beloved"! *BITES A PENCIL* XD

14. Reisti Skalchaste

I hope that it's written right. If not, I will have to change my sig, and I don't know how I'm going to do that. I can't use the computer I made it with anymore, so I'm stuck with crappy library computers until I get a new one.

Not your final answer? Alright, I won't give it away yet. But I've some new ones to try. After these, I'll let someone else do some. Hint: The following are quotes. I want to know who said them, when, and of course, what they're saying. Gata-san, you may have some problems with these. They are written in romanji as though they were formerly in written Japanese. Sorry if they're written wrong, I had to go with phonetics.

??: Kimigaichibandanante,cherii

--------------------------
    Next one:

??: Bokugahontonihoshikatamono...sorewa

Last one:

??: Ipa-no-ou-chi (Spaced like that becuase of how it was said)

15. Stardust Phox

I'm going to separate these to make it easier, if you don't mind, Shinryu-san? I'm pretty sure this is how they go. Lines indicate that I'm unsure of whether or not they're part of the word or not. ^^;

Quote #1: Kimi ga ichiban da nante, Cherii.

Quote #2: Boku ga honto ni hoshikata-mo-no... sore wa...

Quote #3: Ipa-no-ou-chi. (left as-is because it's... as-is!)

I'm going to lay low and not guess for a few days. ^_~; (And grrr... the kanji, I loveth the kanji... ^^)

16. Reisti Skalchaste

I don't mind. Anything that makes them easier to solve. Except, of course, translation sites.

Remember that these are quotes, and, as such, I want to know the speaker, the episode, and of course, the translation. The prior two, I imagine, will entail some difficulty for you, Gata-san, for reasons I will not disclose.

As for the former sentence, I'll sum up what you've achieved so far. Though I had hoped that there would be more than one person working on this.

Originally: チェリーは私の最愛である。 ライムとブラッドベリーはさほど離れていません。

Romanized: Cherii wa watashi no ?? ai de aru. Raimu to Buraddoberii wa sa hodo ??-reteimasen.

Translated: ((Final) Cherry is my beloved.) ((Not Final) Lime and Bloodberry I don't love/like/care for/cherish as much.)

I must say, good work! I never expected it to translated that quickly. You only need to get a final answer for the second sentence and, (hopefully) romanize the last two kanji. Keep it up!

17. Stardust Phox

You do these things solely to give me headaches. XD *hug* And just in case, are you sure it's "da" and not "de" in Quote #1? *curious/nit-picky*

I have only: #1: "You are (the) best [something-or-other], Cherry."

And this: #2: "I am really [whatever else]... That's..."

Arg. That "sore wa" wants to eat me alive. XD I have no guess for the third quote, and I have no idea who says what or which episode it was said in. BLAH. I have to watch my DVD's again.

18. Reisti Skalchaste

Of course. ;):D How else would I get my laughs? :p
    And, no, I'm not completely sure. I did listen pretty closely, and it did sound like "da," but it may well be "de." I'll check tonight and add an edit to this message for what it really is.

Here's your hints.

1: It won't do you much good to watch your DVDs, unless your situation has changed since... a week ago?

2: I tried to make these as challenging as possible by using quotes said by people you wouldn't expect, multiple people, or people acting unlike themselves. Of course, this hint could be an attempt to throw you off, and it could be any, all, or none of the above tricks.

Have you given up on the second sentence of the first challenge? Shall I give it away yet? Perhaps you've got a final guess?

Good luck!

19. Reisti Skalchaste

Answers revealed!

[Posted August 29, 2004]

Sorry about the double post, but I thought this would need some revival.

I had half-forgotten this thread until just now. I did check, and it is definately "da." So the phrase is "Kimi ga ichiban da nante, Cherii."

Have you given up yet? Shall I spoil it? Are others planning to have a shot at it?

If there is no attempt to solve it by September 8, I will consider it to be an admission of defeat and reveal the answers to everything.[/post]

Well, it seems it's time to reveal all.

Sentence: チェリーは私の最愛である。 ライムとブラッドベリーはさほど離れていません。
    Translation: Cherry is my beloved. Lime and Bloodberry are not far behind.

Quotes:

Quote #1: Kimi ga ichiban da nante, Cherii.
    Translation: "You're the best, Cherry." Said by Cherry in Program 8 shortly before taking a trip to Fantasyland.

Quote #2: Boku ga honto ni hoshikata-mo-no... sore wa...
    Translation: "The one thing I really wanted... That was..." Said by Lime after the end of Phase 24, while previewing Phase 25.

Quote #3: Ipa-no-ou-chi.
    Subtitles say: "Tip-toe. Tip-toe. Tip-toe." Said by Lime, Otaru, and Hanagata while attempting to escape from Castle Japoness in Program 3 after Lime breaks the lumpy pot, and before Cherry is awakened.

See why I said your DVDs would help you, Gata-san? Anyway, you may go ahead and try to stump us now if you wish. I can't think of anything more.

20. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

aw man, I was watching again SMJ and I was laughing like a mad man... I loved that episode
    Ipa-no-ou-chi.
    lol...
    looks like a giant meatball!