Recreation I Call it "The Karma Phase"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Orion, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orion

Orion Gears

So I've noticed something.

Everyone knows Karma on BJP. Someone does something good, give them good karma. Someone does somethiong bad, give them bad karma. Well, I've been noticing those green little blocks lately, and I think I've discovered something.

In my recent observations, I've noticed that anyone between 300-800 posts has at least 3 karma blocks. Anyone that has 1,000 or higher posts normally have between 5-7 krama blocks. Odd.

It seems that the only times people (or me) recieve karma are

• When someone makes a really, really good thread.
    • When it's my/his/her birthday.

Who knows, I may get good karma for making such a weird/funny thread. I may get spammed with bad karma becuase people think I'm an idiot for staring at tiny little green blocks and actually thinking about them. It's karma on BJP!, only given out at rare ocassions.

T3h Edit: If anyone disagrees, post why.

1 person likes this.
  2. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

I've gotten a lot of good karma just cause some people agree with what I like. Some karma that I've gotten came with the comment "Free karma for everybody!" I've also gotten a lot of good karma with no comments whatsoever. But my favorite was karma with a comment that said "Thankyou for yelling at that retard." All the karma I've gotten has been positive.

Funny thing is, I don't think I've ever given anyone any karma.

1 person likes this.
  3. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

I only have 2 blocks..

anyway when the Karma thing was first introduced all the mods got a head start on the karma thing.. No i was away for about a years time.. My karma was erased or something back to 0.. does not matter dont care..

Now as for people who have more post who have more karma.. well thats only natural.. With more post the odds are they got more karma from other users..

Frankly one should not take this karma stuff so serious..

4. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

actually, you have 3 blocks kame...

5. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

hmmm so it would seem that i do.. Fancy that..

6. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

that's fine. learn2read nub
    hehe

7. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

I will NUB you right in the face!!!!!!! who was first me or you by a DAY!..

lol

8. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

The only reason i can really see for people with more posts having more karma is because... well, they have made more good posts then other people. I dout that they'd stick around if they were acting like a total muppet all the time.

In my case it took ages for me to actually start receiveing good karma, i used to get an awful lot of bad karma cause of my spelling (which has not improved) and also for duing pretty stupit things. But just be cool and everyone else will be also.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

you by 2 days actually

learn2count nub

10. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Don't need to count when you go and look for me NUB!

11. Orion

Orion Gears

Never expected so many replies in under 2 hours. Wow. Never expected B-Berry to totaly burn Kame twice in one day. Wow. So do you guys agree with my idea at all? With the exception of Kame. :p

12. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

it looks more like an observation of karma habits than an idea to me o_O;

i fling it out whenever, but apparently i give to the same few people, and can never give it out when i want to: good or bad
    o_O

13. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I'm the same way. I really don't worry much about giving out karma because I don't find much to give it for. I usually give it to opinionated posts (pro or con) that make good points. But, seeing as how I don't go to debate at all....it's rare for me to give it out.

I have not yet given bad karma because I don't see bad people here much. And I don't want to give out bad karma to people who simply annoy me.

I seem to get good karma in troves of three. I won't get any for a good while, then I'll get three within a week. =]

14. Orion

Orion Gears

Well you're lucky. I'm fortunate if I get good karma one time a month. No one likes me anymore? Aww. :rolleyes:

15. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Maybe it's the Bunny. Everyone loves the Bunny.

16. Sp1k3

Sp1k3 New Member

Karma is there just to show how much you are known, the more karma the more popular and known you are. Like me I have one box, which would equal to me not being known. One of the forums, I am on the staff was very worried that there rep my become equal with normal users they added another set of colors, gold.

I don't change my way of posting just to obtain karma. I post who I am and I show people to learn to deal with me in good and bad ways. I also use karma for newbies, if I see a potenial active users, I'll give him/her some points an dencourage for being active and a great user.

2 people like this.
  17. Orion

Orion Gears

YES! It's the Bunny. Yes. T3h good. I love the Bunny. He really should be BJP's mascot. He'll replace that other one (sorry, don't remember the name.) :rolleyes:

18. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

What can I say? Mine skyrocketed while I was a mod. :p Before it was under 300 and after it was over 700. I'm sitting at 754 now.

Now, given what *you* guys know about me, it would seem freakish that I know as much about the workings of karma as I do, but being a vBulletin admin myself, it comes with the territory even if I don't have it enabled yet. :p

You get 1 dark green block for every 100 karma points up to 5 blocks.
    You get 1 bright green block for every 200 karma points up to 5 bright green ones.

And up to 650 karma, your mouseover stat (IE: *user* is a glorious beacon of light, etc), increases halfway between each block.

Using this, you can figure out roughly where everyone stands for karma. :p For example, I know that Shijin has more than 250 karma and less than 300, while KaMe has more than 200 and less than 250. Neat, eh? :p

And, from my knowledge from my days as a mod, I think it's *just* about safe to say I've gained more positive karma than anyone else here, disincluding abnormal admin alterations. :p The only one who tops it would be Ciel.

^^;;

1 person likes this.
  19. Jackabee

Jackabee Captain Jackabee Sparrow

I find the wee saying most amusing.... Examples: "monkiki_ba is on a distinguished road" “Hacker will become famous soon enough” “Hitohiro has a spectacular aura about” "Neonoodle is a jewel in the rough" "Teddz is a splendid one to behold" “Basher is a glorious beacon of light” “Cloud has much to be proud of”
    By using the phrases in conjunction with the wee blocks I think you could better figure out about how much karma some one has.... 0-24 25-50.... something like that.

very negative Karma:
    " is infamous around these parts"

Hmm... is Basher radioactive?

20. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Oy OY, I'm the only one who's radioactive here.

Karma is just another bean counter. If you care about Karma then its an important part of your life here on BJP. If you don't then it's just another useless tool for someone to post about. Like anything else it's what you make of it.

Frankly I find it more useful for pointing out to people their posts that were in poor taste, and given how broad my sense of what 'good taste' is, it's usually something big (for myself at least) to award negative Karma.

That there's my 2 pennies.

~W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.