Debate Samurai or Ninja

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrunkLeprachaun, Oct 12, 2002.

?

Which own teh cool stakes?

1. Samurai

34 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. Ninja

26 vote(s)
    43.3%
  1. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I was going to join a ninjitsu club. Then it turned out to be a jujitsu club, and not a ninjitsu club at all. Then I couldn't actualy find the jujitsu club, and somehow ended up in an aikido club. Which I joined. Ninjitsu is what ninja use, aikido was invented by samurai. So, here's the question. Which are cooler?
    Ninja are not above spying, using poison, backstabbing or betrayl if it gets the job done, but the honour nature.
    Samurai are almost the opposite. They live with honour and with a strict code of conduct.
    Just something I was pondering over. Both are cool, no doubts there...

2. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

Ninja.

Stealth may be cheap, but honour gets you dead. (Unless you're Kenshin, that guys got an amazing streak of luck....)

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Samurai learn the cool quick draw thing. They wear the cool hakama and...whatever you call those billowy pants. They also get first dibs on practically everything. Plus, they have wives and mistresses. Well, maybe strike that last part, but they get to live a pretty dang high life.

The only thing I can find wrong is that you use dead bodies as practice for your sword and people living in fear of you can be a turn off. Then again, same thing can be said for the shinobi.

4. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

I'm not sure about this, but I think the ninja have some strange form of honor, since some tend to serve a master ninja and suicide comes into play around there (of course, the same applies with samurai). Though I could be wrong, only some of what I heard. ::shrug:: Anyways, ninja are nice, because they tend to rely on speed and stealth which is nifty, though the samurai tend to have more extravagant swords than the ninja, I think. Either way, I'd have to lean towards the side of the ninja.

5. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Well far as i know Ninjitsu is actually a banned martial art.. so finding a club that teachs it could be hard.. I think its banned anyway..

KaMe

6. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Actually, a shinobi's sword is rather more cheaply made than a samurai's. Whereas a samurai's is tempered and molded and folded (a technique used to make the sword both incredibly durable while keeping its razor edge longer) a hundred times, a ninja's is usually made more haphazardly. Not that that isn't saying much. And a samurai's isn't actually extravagant in its purpose. What it is made of maybe, as most higher samurai use shark skin as the material for the covering of the hilt, or gold or other precious metal for the guard. But, I gather that's what you're talking about.

The curve is meant for it to cut faster and to aid in the slice. A ninja's is made for thrusting and to be able to strap it onto their backs. And yeah, ninja's rely on stealth, that's cool. They can wait at spots for days, or completely blend into their surroundings in disguise. Jacks of all trade kinda thing. :D

I do feel sorry for kunoichi's though. Used only once...seductive assassins, to be honest, and are disposed of. Freakin' sucks. I don't know if that's the usual or not, but still.

7. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

Eh, I guess I mis-worded or something, I just basically meant that yes, a Ninja sword is cheaper as they didn't really have the financial aid a samurai does. ^^; Or something to that extent, I just woke up, talking out of my ***.

8. Izer

Izer New Member

Ninja.

As an occupation i'd imagine they'd have a lot less paperwork & would work mostly night hours. Pay probably sucks but they get to wear black (out of neccessity rather than for fashion but still) :)

9. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I'd have to say Samurai, even though Ninja has stealth. Myself, I'm a guy of honour and would find it a bit bad to backstab a guy with shurikens or "get the job done quickly". To be a samurai would be a lot more dangerous as well because you fight people face to face in long, kick @#$ sword battles ;)

And the whole suicide thing, I believe that Samurai go by that code as well that when they failed their master that they have no reason to go on in life. Well it's probably a lot deeper than that, like they believe that they failed their purpose in life or something too.

10. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

Actually, I think somewhere I heard a lot of ninja didn't really wear black because, as opposed to other dark colors, they sometimes actually stood out in shadows and such, like they were darker or something. o_O I don't know what made me think that, I just heard that somewhere, but I don't know nuttin. ^^

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

a dark color in general will blend you in better, say a very dark midnight blue, than straight black, which stands out against shadows. for shadows are not straight black, and normally never are. a dark brown will hide you better.
    and well, i vote samurai. blade of the immortal anyone? *^-^*

12. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Samurai!
    BB> Yes please! Blade of the immortal :D

I find samurai stories fasincating... Rurouni Kenshin, Blade of the Immortal, Kuno from Ranma 1/2.

I like ninjas but I prefer samurai

13. DrunkLeprachaun

I too chose the way of harmony of energy(I picked samurai). I just like them better.
    Kame, where did you hear it was banned. It was banned in the 17th century(Shogun Tokugawa tried to destroy it), but I don't think it's still banned. There's a film about it(based on a true story, mind) with Jean Claude Van Damme, where he was that guy, Dux. He started his own ryu, the Dux ryu unsuprisingly enough. So.
    I also would like soem Blade Of The Immortal, it are sweet.

14. Izer

Izer New Member

They don't wear black? Gah and there i was planning to go out on halloween dressed as a ninja wearing my black pyjama suit and a plastic lightsaber :)

Would characters like Kenshin/Jubei (Ninja scroll) fall under the Samurai category or would it be more accurate to put them in there own rurouni/ronin class in the poll?

15. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Seeing as how Kenshin and Jubei have no lords or don't exactly serve anyone, I'd say they're ronin. I mean, they do wander around and stuff. But, as far as the basics of being samurai, they've got it down pat, following bushido and all.

16. sailorvenus

sailorvenus 24 days to go...^^

I have to go for Samurai! Don't ask me why, oki?

17. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

I'm not sure, but I think Rurouni and Ronin are different things. Ronin is a samurai without a master, whether he abandoned his master or killed him or whatnot. Rurouni is just a wanderer. I would classify both Kenshin and Jubei as rurouni, and also, I'm not quite sure what happens to him by the end of the series, but I think Kenshin still has a master (Hiko), but I don't know what happens really. Though as usual, I'm just talking out of my *** with no good excuse this time. ^_^

18. DrunkLeprachaun

I don't know about Jubei, as I haven't seen Ninja Scroll, but Kenshin would fall into the samurai catagory. It includes ronin. And ronin are nothing at all to do with ninja.

19. Tusky

Tusky New Member

Id go for Ninja ! HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-YAH <napalm back-flip to the face - BURST nito flames > thats me favourite move :) if any1 wants to see it pm me and id be happy to show u...on a dummy of course

20. flamehed

flamehed New Member

.......Personaly, I would like to learn to use more than one weapon at the same time...........like samuria......