Debate The Banning Thread (formerly NephX's Ban)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roffey, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Roffey

Roffey I'm As Free As A Bird Now

i personally think he should not have been banned. There is no evidence that he has done anything wrong and he claims to have recieved no warnings. If anyone has a counterpoint, please share it.

2. Head_slinger

Head_slinger New Member

yur,

Poeple in the IRC channel seem to be getting banned for alot of unknown and stupid reasons. I have been banned alot of times for no peticular reason. Mostly bashers fault :).

Anyway, sort it out :)

3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

naruto is talking abot chatroom bans, slinger...talking about forum bans...

4. MrTicky

MrTicky Guest

Huh, banned from the forums?
    Any reason given? :eek: :rolleyes:

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I see this new forum's really kicking off great, isn't it?

Suffice it to say, we will never publicly discuss bans on M2A. Feel free to endlessly debate it here, but if given in deserving sense, a ban will not be revoked.

Banned members are free to contact us if they do not understand why they were banned, but generally, those who have earned a banning should not be surprised by its enforcement - they should inwardly have known it was coming, and outwardly have been warned (except in extreme cases, i.e. Hentai).

It is then their prerogative if they wish to discuss their banning circumstances with whomever they choose.

Nephilim_X has contacted me, and I will be getting back to his e-mail later tonight.

Again, we will never publicly discuss bans on M2A. Thank you for your co-operation.

[Edit: Please stay on the subject at hand. Feel free to begin a new debate topic for IRC bans if you wish.]

6. Head_slinger

Head_slinger New Member

I dealt with it myself, so no need.

7. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

alright well, since the subjects been dodged, anyone think of WHY he was banned?

8. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

I don't agree with the ban, but I do agree with not trying to start a war over it. Neph's a big boy, he can take care of himself.

- Ark

9. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

yeah, but we'd just like to know why, as we've heard he didn't even get a pm saying a ban was going to be placed on him. especially since one is usually promised, or at least an email before hand.
    we aren't trying to start a war. we just dont' understand and are going to try and work it out.

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Re: Nephilim_X's Ban

I find these just a bit baseless. The only thing I see that such opinions could be based on without official sourcing (which I've already stated won't happen) would be hearsay and word of mouth.

Neph himself has not been notified of his offences, though he is inquiring - nor has anyone that I know of been directly informed.

To claim there is "no evidence of wrongdoing" or to disagree on a banning of which you only have speculated details is just a bit over jumping the gun, is it not?

11. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I think that this post shows one of the reasons that he was banned : http://www.mangatoanime.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8182&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I talked to Neph just recently about this and he said that he PM'ed her back right after and said that he was just kidding about it and they talk regularly on AIM now >_<x I did warn him before about newbie bashing in a DBZ thread when he made a member so angry that he exploded and started swearing. Because of how that member was acting I had to ban him(not Neph, the other dude) from DBZ.

Neph had really great posts, but he also had some that were just a quote and then a huge arse picture. These were funny to read and people expected them to pop up, but if any other member did this then they would be banned. If any other member insulted newbies whether they PM'ed them afterwards saying they were kidding they would still be banned. I guess that we need equality sometimes... No matter how "unfair" this may seem.

Really, if you ask me he should be given a chance to redeem himself to the Admins. I told him too that he should have told an admin that he PM'ed the Admins telling them that he talked to prototype after he did this. Hmmm, it still seems that Proto's last post in her newbie thread was her last one on M2A...

12. Head_slinger

Head_slinger New Member

is it some sort of conspiracy?

13. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Usually, but not always.

For example, a user who registers just to throw the same anime store ad on 12 forums gets immediate ban, as would someone posting Hentai. These are clearcut M2A regs, and you likely don't get a second chance when it happens.

Another example would be an accumulation of moderator corrections. A user who is repeatedly reprimended for failing to respect others, for example, would receive a banning on continued offense. They aren't necessarily told of the ban beforehand, but they should have gathered it would come if they continued to go against mod decision.

Not that either of these necessarily describe Nephilim_X, but there are many cases where a ban would be instated without direct warning.

14. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

I only said I don't agree with him being banned because I haven't seen him do anything that I would consider ban-worthy. The only thing I've seen him do was a little bit of banter in the newbie forum, which was fairly obviously intended as humor rather than insult. Besides, look at the posts of some of the other members of this forum, including moderators, and you'll find things easily as offensive as any of Neph's posts. You could just as easily argue that DrunkLeprechaun should be banned for some of his flames.

Anyways, that's just my $0.02, it's not my decision, and I'm not going to try to tell people what to do about it.

- Ark

15. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

jumbospaceman, lex diamonds, legato, wolfwood, lepper, kame
    a bunch of people should be for "upsetting the balance" in the forums. i didn't see neph do anything more outragous than any of their threads. may i point out the virginity thread? there was the one legato had made, in announcements, but i can't seem to find the link anymore (hmm). i''l hunt them down later.

16. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Even the great ones must fall.I raise my glass to you,Nephilim_X.We hardly knew ye.:sad:

Attached Files:

• cry.jpg
      cry.jpg
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
  17. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

jumbospaceman, Wolfwood - what's the offense?
    Lex_Diamonds, Legato - agreed.
    DrunkLeprachaun, KaMeKaZi - currently protected by "Moderator Status", but should not be excusable. If anything very harsh is brought to my attention, perhaps you're suggesting action should be taken?

Funny you should mention the Virginity thread. It was very widely debated, and many shared the opinions that bannings should have been a result of it. I will say they survived it by a hairline.

As for more outrageous, are you going by single acts, or amount of repeat offenses?

18. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Just FYI, Jumbospaceman - Refer to the 'Rammstein' thread in Music

Beyond that, I wasn't around for most of the other major offenses to offer an opinion on them.

Also, keep in mind there's a difference between ousting someone who joined and immediately spammed for another forum or whatnot, and ousting someone who has been around for a while. People who've been around tend to have groups of friends that will support them REGARDLESS of what's been done, which is why I'm trying to be objective in this thread.

Trying to guage offenses by how many people were offended may also be a bad idea, as there are people who will get offended by just about anything. If I make a post about abortion, for example, I can guarentee that, regardless of what I say about it, I'll have at least 10 people mailing various mods because I'm an awful person.

Neph didn't really post controversial topics of that nature, however. Most of his posts were jests, which also might offend the over-sensitive, but I never saw one that I thought was intended to be truely offensive, rather than amusing.

Please note that all of this is just my never-humble opinion. ;)

- Ark

19. LiLd3vil4u

LiLd3vil4u New Member

Wow...I hadnt heard that neph had been banned, probably because I am rarely ever on ne more. I still am rather confused as to WHY he was banned, and do agree with Bloodberry in quite a few of her opinions. I am not however going to say which ones. :D I have seen quite a few things in several threads and the threads themselves that should have been questioned as far as the content goes. My self I havent seen neph do ne thing that was "Ban worthy" but I have seen a few things that have been slightly on the offensive side. I suppose in order to get the full story I will have to poke at him on aim. {scrunches up nose} I really hope his being banned was merely to restore order and not on some personal grudge that someone has against him. :(

20. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

True, they are entirely different cases, and probably not the best examples to give, but they are the first that sprang to mind. My point is that no one should have to be told directly that they are in danger of a ban. The warnings accumulated until then, and the consciousness of what they done should have made it self-evident.

As long as we're just debating with hearsay, I've been told he's been known to remark his surprise that he hadn't been banned...

Yes, but it's an irrelevent shield. It's also why I delayed taking action several times - Nephilim_X has a range of supporters in the community that I knew would outcry no matter how justifiable the action taken would be.

True, not every complaint has validity. But there is some degree to where offense is entirely apparent. There is a very big difference between having a baby cherub's behind in your signature as opposed to a full grown angel woman's behind. An offense should be gauged by how serious it is in a general common sense view.

And I suppose you've read all 2,008 posts yourself to confirm this?

In the practices of netiquette, there are no jests. In written form, we lack the eye contact and inflection that is important to how words are preceived. The obvious response is for people to not take things to heart or in serious light, but it can be unavoidable.

Most of his many posts were spam, and he seemed to intentionally flock to and harrass the Newbies and Announcement sections, much like the aforementioned Lex and Legato. In lesser extremes, but in far regular quantity.